Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Merv Burger posted:

Have you tried seeing what happens when you tap the link and not select it? It looks like it is making it a link that can be tapped.

The smart text selection menu was updated in Pie to have app actions, which allows deeper integration with apps and is probably ~powered by AI~, but require different hooks from the standard intents. You probably were able to open links in your preferred browser that way in Oreo, but Google decided to add a shiny new thing and change how it works.

Yeah the only option is to boot chrome, or copy text and paste into my preferred browser. Boooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's fuckin tite yo. Best money I've spent on a device yet, even if the company is pretty much done.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

sleepwalkers posted:

Sort of. The two most recent have been the Vivo Nex S, which has a motorized camera module, and the Oppo Find X, in which the entire body of the phone moves. Xiaomi did the most "normal" implementation with the Mi Mix 2, but it doesn't have any front-firing speakers and the front camera is on the bottom corner. The original Mi Mix didn't have a traditional earpiece.

e: I also don't really get the hate for the notch. If the preferred solution is to not have a notch and just have a top bezel (because you have to put that hardware somewhere on the front), then... what's wrong with the status bar being placed to the left and right of the camera, iris scanner, speaker, etc. rather than nothing?

I'd rather the phone just have bezels and I'm hoping this trend just dies out tbh. I really do not like the notch, nor do I like gesture navigation, or finger print readers on the back of the device.

Then again I'm probably just an old man shaking his fist at clouds.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'd rather the phone just have bezels and I'm hoping this trend just dies out tbh. I really do not like the notch, nor do I like gesture navigation, or finger print readers on the back of the device.

Then again I'm probably just an old man shaking his fist at butts.

I mean, I can see at least some semblance of an argument with rear fingerprint readers, but if the trade-off is more screen, I'm okay with it. It's a similar argument in my mind with the notch (which like, ultimately is personal preference so I'm not gonna get hysterical about phones): if the alternative is I have a consistent notch but now the status bar is encroaching on space where apps could otherwise display, I'll take the notch because they can cram poo poo into corners, and then it can be used to display things when the status bar is hidden.
Obviously the ideal state is zero bezels anywhere with all of the sensors and crap people expect, but that's not happening yet.

I think gesture navigation largely depends on the implementation, and I think Android P does it poorly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sleepwalkers posted:

Obviously the ideal state is zero bezels anywhere with all of the sensors and crap people expect, but that's not happening yet.

Notches and corners aren't a big desperate thing (unless they cross into 16:9 space or you can't confine video to the 16:9 space) but I think it's nice that phones still have some parts of their bodies where they can simply be handled and not be giving the phone input. I don't know if I could deal with using a phone on my flattened-out hand.

No, the grip-to-gesture-action phones don't count as a chilling premonition or whatever here, since you have to do more than simply hold the phone on those to trigger the edge sensors.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/07/android-pie-release-makes-me-want-to-beg-essential-for-a-new-phone/

I agree with this so much. It's sort of a travesty of tech "journalism" that Samsung isn't being inundated with questions about how loving embarrassing it is that a giant company can't do what a company teetering on the edge of oblivion can.

Lockstep updates with Google is loving possible and Essential just proved it with minimal resources to get it done. There's no room for excuses anymore. 9, 6, or even 1 month lag isn't acceptable for a flagship manufacturer and we need to stop rewarding then with sales when they fail to perform.

I agree, but just to point out the obvious counter-argument the Samsung side will make:

What compromises did Essential make to get it out so fast? What kind of bugs are there waiting to bite the user? Did they run QA on the 2 dozen different variants they have? (haha, they don't have a bunch of variants like Samsung does)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, it's not like this appeared out of the ether. Essential kept up delivering the development previews with Google as well. I guess the point is when all you have to do is hook up the hardware binary blobs to Google's base code, you don't have to do much and there's very little room to introduce issues.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If only samsung was a big enough company to handle those same questions in a timely fashion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thermopyle posted:

I agree, but just to point out the obvious counter-argument the Samsung side will make:

What compromises did Essential make to get it out so fast? What kind of bugs are there waiting to bite the user? Did they run QA on the 2 dozen different variants they have? (haha, they don't have a bunch of variants like Samsung does)

The real reason is Samsung users don't care. They are already using the herpes of phones so what difference does it make.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So what the gently caress did they do to Bluetooth this time? I get no metadata display in my car after the update. Re-pair'd and no joy. Anyone else run into this and find a fix?

Also I really dislike the new app switcher and the clock in the upper left. In fact I'm not really finding anything I like about this update so far. The volume switcher maybe?

Edit: Answering my own question, go to your Spotify permissions and enable phone/storage, all permissions were deactivated after the update.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 8, 2018

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think if phones are getting larger because MORE SCREEN; and, because it's physically uncomfortable/impossible to use with a human thumb, you're now having to deal with garbage unintuitive swipe gestures just to use the thing; and there's a gigantic widow's peak with a useless deadzone either side so you can have MORE SCREEN on the spec sheet; maybe they should just give up the MORE SCREEN as a self-evidently stupid idea.

I mean if you're so set on MORE SCREEN that you're building layers of stupid dumb decisions around that concept, just to make it happen ... maybe it shouldn't happen because it's a stupid idea? :shrug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really want my N4 or Z3c back just with the best cameras available, but I've been wanting to try a stupid big phone lately just to see if I might finally be able to type worth a gently caress. Probably not

The Gunslinger posted:

So what the gently caress did they do to Bluetooth this time? I get no metadata display in my car after the update. Re-pair'd and no joy. Anyone else run into this and find a fix?

I think its back on the last page but yeah ever since the beta and still with the final release, music is hosed in my car.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

spincube posted:

I think if phones are getting larger because MORE SCREEN; and, because it's physically uncomfortable/impossible to use with a human thumb, you're now having to deal with garbage unintuitive swipe gestures just to use the thing; and there's a gigantic widow's peak with a useless deadzone either side so you can have MORE SCREEN on the spec sheet; maybe they should just give up the MORE SCREEN as a self-evidently stupid idea.

I mean if you're so set on MORE SCREEN that you're building layers of stupid dumb decisions around that concept, just to make it happen ... maybe it shouldn't happen because it's a stupid idea? :shrug:

Higher numbers = better than!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I think its back on the last page but yeah ever since the beta and still with the final release, music is hosed in my car.

They really hosed it up, still can't get metadata to display in my car with Spotify or Google Play Music. Just shows "NO DATA" for all of the fields. When it first connects it shows a song title then that goes away. I can control playback and it connects fine but that's it. It's something with Bluetooth every damned time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Just throw your phone out the window and tape a vinyl record player to the dash.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The data hardly ever worked for gf on the essential, wonder if it'll be any different now. I'd just be glad if I could skip a song in less than 10 seconds. I wonder if I went and hauled the unit out of a later model Civic since android auto came in, would it fit in my '15.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I find I can close a program better now with the new gestures. I do a big swipe fron the bottom with a little skip in the middle to close an app whereas before I would press the square button and then swipe to the side to close the app.

The haptic feedback when scrolling through open apps is kind of nice too. Gives it that clicky detent feel.

As for notches, I like the bezels on the Pixel 2XL. They're just big enough for grip and small enough to not get in the way. One trend I would like to see less of is rounded corners on the screens. Now that's wasted space. Plus when I remote in to a Windows computer with RDP, the rounded corners covers half of the Start menu button.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MC Hawking posted:

Just throw your phone out the window and tape a vinyl record player to the dash.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/record-players-were-the-infotainment-systems-of-the-1950s-and-60s/index.htm

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
samsung needs time to add beautification filters and Bright Colors to every single corner of android

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Cool cool cool, Google won't stop giving me a notification about a Severe Thunderstorm Warning that expired 11 hours ago, and when I click it, it takes nearly a full minute to react (open the page in Chrome).

I actually had the same problem (slow loading) for news items and some other apps as well when selecting their notifications but updating to 9 fixed that issue. Unless you're having that now on Pie..

It's only been a day or so but it looks like battery life has also gotten better.
Also, I can't get the auto-rotate icon to show up. I use Nova launcher but switching to the default Pixel launcher along with enabling the swipe gestures still won't get it to show regardless of what apps I'm using (Google News, Chrome, etc).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

spincube posted:

This is how I feel about it as well. I plan on switching to Google Fi here pretty soon but I'm probably just going to get the Pixel 2 (assuming they discount them after the Pixel 3 comes out).

All I see are a bunch of negatives from the poor implementation of navigation gestures (softkeys aren't even an option anymore without rooting wtf?) and a notch obscuring most of the area that is normally used for notifications. On the "pros" side of the list I see literally nothing. Maybe it's slightly faster ok whatever, but my Oneplus 3T is fast enough and at least that has a headphone jack, hardware (or software buttons without rooting), and a notchless screen.

I could give a poo poo about bezel-less phones. I feel like it's a marketing gimmick and a really stupid and pointless one at that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is how I feel about it as well. I plan on switching to Google Fi here pretty soon but I'm probably just going to get the Pixel 2 (assuming they discount them after the Pixel 3 comes out).

All I see are a bunch of negatives from the poor implementation of navigation gestures (softkeys aren't even an option anymore without rooting wtf?) and a notch obscuring most of the area that is normally used for notifications. On the "pros" side of the list I see literally nothing. Maybe it's slightly faster ok whatever, but my Oneplus 3T is fast enough and at least that has a headphone jack, hardware (or software buttons without rooting), and a notchless screen.

I could give a poo poo about bezel-less phones. I feel like it's a marketing gimmick and a really stupid and pointless one at that.

Softkeys are definitely still available without rooting on current phones and will be on the Pixel 3.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

Notches and corners aren't a big desperate thing (unless they cross into 16:9 space or you can't confine video to the 16:9 space) but I think it's nice that phones still have some parts of their bodies where they can simply be handled and not be giving the phone input. I don't know if I could deal with using a phone on my flattened-out hand.

No, the grip-to-gesture-action phones don't count as a chilling premonition or whatever here, since you have to do more than simply hold the phone on those to trigger the edge sensors.
Obviously yeah, you don't want something that makes you hold it in some weird way to use it, buuuut I have a Note8 and don't have issues with mistaken inputs on the side. I've also used an iPhone X for a while (which had minimal bezels everywhere aside from the notch) and never really had issues where I felt like I had to be careful where I put my hand.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I like the gesture for the app switcher.

It just feels more natural in some way than a double tap or single tap depending on what you're doing.

The animation speed or quality could be improved.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 8, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

spincube posted:

My life for a 4.5" screen. Seriously considering an iPhone for my next purchase, since that's the only decent (not hosed with OS), human hand sized phone on the market.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I like the gesture for the app switcher.

It just feels more natural in some way than a double tap or single tap depending on what you're doing.

The animation speed or quality could be improved.

If they improve the animation I might switch to it. The weird part to me is that they made this whole new system, but it offers no actual advantages, it's just... different. I assumed when I first heard about the gesture navigation system that it'd add new functionality, or compress/hide the navigation bar, but it does neither. The nav bar takes up exactly as much space, it just has 2 buttons instead of 3 now, and there are 2 gestures that replace what were previously 2 button actions.

Did something else get added that I didn't notice? I have no problem with change, in fact I usually like it, but change just for the sake of change without bringing any meaningful differences is lame. And also it's very clearly trying to chase the iPhoneX's gestures, just like the P3XL notch is chasing that notch. While the gestures on the iPhoneX are also terrible (actually I would say they are worse), they have a good reason for existing. The actions were previously functions in a hardware button that no longer exists, so a new system had to be made.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Merkinman posted:

Higher numbers = better than!

I bought this new phone and found out it's only a 2:1 aspect ratio instead of 18:9, now I have to return it. :saddowns:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The real reason is Samsung users don't care. They are already using the herpes of phones so what difference does it make.

How rude!

You can get rid of a Samsung

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Taffer posted:

If they improve the animation I might switch to it. The weird part to me is that they made this whole new system, but it offers no actual advantages, it's just... different. I assumed when I first heard about the gesture navigation system that it'd add new functionality, or compress/hide the navigation bar, but it does neither. The nav bar takes up exactly as much space, it just has 2 buttons instead of 3 now, and there are 2 gestures that replace what were previously 2 button actions.

Did something else get added that I didn't notice? I have no problem with change, in fact I usually like it, but change just for the sake of change without bringing any meaningful differences is lame. And also it's very clearly trying to chase the iPhoneX's gestures, just like the P3XL notch is chasing that notch. While the gestures on the iPhoneX are also terrible (actually I would say they are worse), they have a good reason for existing. The actions were previously functions in a hardware button that no longer exists, so a new system had to be made.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread it's maybe just the first step in a process?

Like, right now it might look like change for changes sake, but after a few versions it will be clear that its just getting people accustomed to the idea?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, cool, just noticed that while I have my calendar content hidden on the lock screen, Google's At a Glance widget will show my next appointment without blocking anything.

Anyone know how to keep that info from showing up on the lock screen?

Pixel 2.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not gonna lie, I'd have preferred it if they had made the notch and chin smaller and just put the speakers some other place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Uthor posted:

Oh, cool, just noticed that while I have my calendar content hidden on the lock screen, Google's At a Glance widget will show my next appointment without blocking anything.

Anyone know how to keep that info from showing up on the lock screen?

Pixel 2.

Check the lock screen preferences and see if block sensitive content got toggled off

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That IS a deep notch and a huge chin

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just realized that the microphone on my phone doesn't work. People don't hear me on calls and I can't record audio messages or use Google assistant but the camera's mic still works. It's a pixel 1xl I bought last summer, would it still be covered under warranty or am I sol and should just wait to buy the 3 like I was originally planning to

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While I prefer Chin over Notch, if you were given the option would you take the Oppo Find X design of no notch but motorized camera over the huge notch? Or would you just rather we had a forhead/chin like the current 2XL?

Until we can make screens that have a transparent front that when the camera is used the pixels over the camera go transparent for you to take your selfie through.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Calaveron posted:

I just realized that the microphone on my phone doesn't work. People don't hear me on calls and I can't record audio messages or use Google assistant but the camera's mic still works. It's a pixel 1xl I bought last summer, would it still be covered under warranty or am I sol and should just wait to buy the 3 like I was originally planning to

Pixel 1 has a 1 year warranty, so get cracking.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I just noticed today on 9 that I get exactly four notification badges in the bar before it gives up and goes to overflow dot. Leaving half of the notification bar completely unused. Which is pretty well thought out. :google:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

While I prefer Chin over Notch, if you were given the option would you take the Oppo Find X design of no notch but motorized camera over the huge notch? Or would you just rather we had a forhead/chin like the current 2XL?

If Samsung didn't have the stupid curved glass on the sides and was a smidge shorter it would be the perfect amount of screen/body.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Calaveron posted:

Same thing happened to mine, hopefully yours broke a few weeks before the warranty is up instead of a few weeks after like mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Check the lock screen preferences and see if block sensitive content got toggled off

I have it off as default, then on for specific apps. Maybe I need to block Google.