Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven’t experienced this yet, but it’s almost guaranteed now I know about it!

Looks like they have a new beta out anyway.

Funny enough another bug that's existed since the start of 12 (occasionally the app just picks a random podcast from your library when connecting to any bluetooth source instead of playing what you're listening to, sometimes on the same device minutes earlier) was convenient tonight because it happened to pick the podcast I wanted to listen to anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks, but to clarify one hypothetical situation, let’s say we're watching TV (Tivo -> receiver -> TV through HDMI). I go to airplay a song from my iPad, and the audio switches but the video remains? And when I finish airplaying the audio goes back to TV without pressing anything?

Why would you play a song while watching tv? Do you like to party?

https://youtu.be/-uVwbPOXh9c

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a lot of questions about Family Sharing.

Right now my immediate family has me, a sibling, and our mom using various Apple devices. We each have our own iTunes/Apple account (they are not connected in any way) and so all of our purchases are separate. I pay for Apple Music using a student discount, and I think my sister pays for her own Apple Music account as well. I'm paying $1/month for 50 GB of storage and I'm not sure if the others pay for iCloud. Can we consolidate all of this under one family account?

quote:

Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six people in your family to share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases, an Apple Music family membership, and an iCloud storage plan, without sharing accounts.

Sharing apps sounds great but how does it work with iCloud syncing? I use Things for example and it syncs to my iCloud. If my sister downloads Things (for free right, because I've paid for it?) will they see all my reminders? What about subscriptions: I use Bear. Would my sister be able to use Bear as well without paying for it, and what about the syncing thing (Bear doesn't use iCloud afaik).

quote:

When the family organizer turns on purchase sharing, you can pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device.

Can we set it up so that the purchases aren't paid from one account? We're all adults so I'd rather my sister pays with her own card, my mom with her own card, and me with my own.

quote:

Family Sharing also lets you share photos, a family calendar, and more to help keep everyone connected.

So I don't want to give my family access to my dick picsphotos. Right now we have some albums that we share and it needs to be kept that way. Is that possible?

And finally what happens to the apps that we've already bought individually? For example if I've bought Things and my sister has bought CoolApp.app, will the family sharing thing give me access to her app purchases and her mine?

e: What about the iCloud drive? I know we'd be sharing the total amount of space between the accounts but I also don't want them being able to access my files (nor do I want to access theirs).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
None of what you asked can be done. Family sharing is basically for an adult and their kids. That’s the only use case.

Maybe the kids and their elderly parents too

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nitr0 posted:

None of what you asked can be done. Family sharing is basically for an adult and their kids. That’s the only use case.

Is that sarcasm? I think everything Boris wants to do can be done except the “use separate payment methods” part (and I doubt subscriptions carry over, but that’s just a guess).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure if this is a better Apple question or general audio question, but if you have an AirPlay capable receiver do you have to switch it to a dedicated airplay input to stream or does it just take over?

Mine just takes over. It also has a very 90s OSD that takes the entire screen when this happens, so whatever video was going is gone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a lot of questions about Family Sharing.

Right now my immediate family has me, a sibling, and our mom using various Apple devices. We each have our own iTunes/Apple account (they are not connected in any way) and so all of our purchases are separate. I pay for Apple Music using a student discount, and I think my sister pays for her own Apple Music account as well. I'm paying $1/month for 50 GB of storage and I'm not sure if the others pay for iCloud. Can we consolidate all of this under one family account?

Sharing apps sounds great but how does it work with iCloud syncing? I use Things for example and it syncs to my iCloud. If my sister downloads Things (for free right, because I've paid for it?) will they see all my reminders? What about subscriptions: I use Bear. Would my sister be able to use Bear as well without paying for it, and what about the syncing thing (Bear doesn't use iCloud afaik).

Can we set it up so that the purchases aren't paid from one account? We're all adults so I'd rather my sister pays with her own card, my mom with her own card, and me with my own.

So I don't want to give my family access to my dick picsphotos. Right now we have some albums that we share and it needs to be kept that way. Is that possible?

And finally what happens to the apps that we've already bought individually? For example if I've bought Things and my sister has bought CoolApp.app, will the family sharing thing give me access to her app purchases and her mine?

e: What about the iCloud drive? I know we'd be sharing the total amount of space between the accounts but I also don't want them being able to access my files (nor do I want to access theirs).

Going down the list:

- iCloud syncing is kept separate and per account. App sharing is clunky but how it works is that on the App Store you can go to Purchases and select other members of your family then download anything they’ve bought for free. IAP is NOT included in the family plan so those need to be purchased individually.

- ALL purchases go the main account/parent. The only way to circumvent this is to add itunes credit to the other accounts as itunes will use that before charging the parent’s card. I have both my brother and my mother as accounts under mine for the family plan and my bro just buys itunes cards whenever ha wants to buy something (or just buys it and I pay it because whatever)

- Family photo sharing just creates a “family” album that’s automatically added to every account in the plan. It’s treated just like a shred album with no differences other than you auto-join it. Pictures are still an individual affair and you choose what to share.

- Already answered above but yes you can see each other’s purchased list and download anything for free (no IAP/subscriptions carry over)

- iCloud Drive data is shared as well but I believe you have to opt-in. All you’re sharing is space, there’s no way to see each other’s files.

Semi-related you also get a family reminders (and calendar) that you can add stuff to and everyone sees/is notified about.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've only really used family sharing to download some songs from my wife's iTunes purchase history. For that purpose it works fine.

It does require me to set a single payment method and share it, but she's my wife so it doesn't matter. With kids I'd imagine this gets annoying tbf.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

With kids it's easy, it asks a parent device for permission to purchase something. It works well, actually.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Minidust posted:

I've only really used family sharing to download some songs from my wife's iTunes purchase history. For that purpose it works fine.

It does require me to set a single payment method and share it, but she's my wife so it doesn't matter. With kids I'd imagine this gets annoying tbf.

Also apps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing is in-app purchases are not shared between devices, I don’t think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Neither are iTunes Match uploads, if anyone still uses that service.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nitr0 posted:

Yeah a lot of people miss that if you want to do family sharing and add all your siblings, then you pay for their poo poo.

Unless they are literal kids and you want to share app or sub purchases with them anything they buy will be charged to the primary card, yours. So have fun micromanaging all their in app microtransactions for FarmVille or w/e

Big reason why I use Spotify family. Add up to five no questions asked, and no shared billing info

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think it’s just me and one other dude in this thread.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hey it’s a great service in the right situation. I had a subscription from the day it came out until last October, when I got a year of Apple Music.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Only because I keep forgetting to cancel it.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

I will have Match until the day I die / Jony Ive is put in control of another area and kills it. Can't beat the price for what it does.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I mean if you wanted to share iTunes match uploads, couldn't you just…give them the un-DRM'd file?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah a lot of people miss that if you want to do family sharing and add all your siblings, then you pay for their poo poo.

Unless they are literal kids and you want to share app or sub purchases with them anything they buy will be charged to the primary card, yours. So have fun micromanaging all their in app microtransactions for FarmVille or w/e

Big reason why I use Spotify family. Add up to five no questions asked, and no shared billing info

I think the intent is to make it so your family is legitimately people that you would trust, not 5 acquaintances that you met a few times.

The workaround is apparently to load an iTunes gift card on their account and then it never actually hits your card. Failing that between venmo, square cash, and apple pay, there's plenty of ways to settle up in the real world if you know them.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have my wife, my mother-in-law, and my sister all on my family account. I’m the only one out of any of us that actually buys apps, so it’s not an issue. Even if one of them did buy some apps, I probably wouldn’t even say anything unless it was, like, $50 worth of poo poo in a month.

Well, I do end up paying my MIL’s $1/mo iCloud subscription, but that’s obviously fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrBond posted:

I mean if you wanted to share iTunes match uploads, couldn't you just…give them the un-DRM'd file?
Yes, but Match lets you stream your library.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MrBond posted:

I think the intent is to make it so your family is legitimately people that you would trust, not 5 acquaintances that you met a few times.

I get that, I just think it’s worth pointing out and reiterating so folks know how it works

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, but Match lets you stream your library.

It sounded like you were saying that family sharing not doing anything with match was a downside and my point is it wouldn’t have anything to useful to add with match anyway. If you have non-DRM music family sharing couldn’t really get you that much more than handing them the file would.

I guess it would be nice if there was some family pricing on match like Apple Music but meh, it’s only $25/year anyway.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get that, I just think it’s worth pointing out and reiterating so folks know how it works

Yeah, the credit card rule is definitely the most non-obvious part of the whole thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going down the list:

- iCloud syncing is kept separate and per account. App sharing is clunky but how it works is that on the App Store you can go to Purchases and select other members of your family then download anything they’ve bought for free. IAP is NOT included in the family plan so those need to be purchased individually.

- ALL purchases go the main account/parent. The only way to circumvent this is to add itunes credit to the other accounts as itunes will use that before charging the parent’s card. I have both my brother and my mother as accounts under mine for the family plan and my bro just buys itunes cards whenever ha wants to buy something (or just buys it and I pay it because whatever)

- Family photo sharing just creates a “family” album that’s automatically added to every account in the plan. It’s treated just like a shred album with no differences other than you auto-join it. Pictures are still an individual affair and you choose what to share.

- Already answered above but yes you can see each other’s purchased list and download anything for free (no IAP/subscriptions carry over)

- iCloud Drive data is shared as well but I believe you have to opt-in. All you’re sharing is space, there’s no way to see each other’s files.

Semi-related you also get a family reminders (and calendar) that you can add stuff to and everyone sees/is notified about.

Cool thanks for the info.

It looks like my sister also has a student membership to Apple Music so upgrading to the family plan would end up costing more. Also bummer on the single payment thing. It's probably not a big deal with Venmo or Apple Pay Cash or whatever it's called but it's easier to just not deal with it. A lot of the apps I pay/paid for are IAP (either subscription model or "free download + pay to unlock full app" model) anyway so they wouldn't even be shared I guess. We already share photo albums in that way already and none of us live in the same city so a family calendar seems pointless.

Might just do the family plan to share an iCloud Drive plan just to make sure our mom's poo poo is backed up I guess.

e: I'm taking my 6s in to get the free battery replacement. I'm on the iOS 12 public beta ... will they care about that or should I downgrade before bringing it in?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I'm taking my 6s in to get the free battery replacement. I'm on the iOS 12 public beta ... will they care about that or should I downgrade before bringing it in?
They won't care at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Might just do the family plan to share an iCloud Drive plan just to make sure our mom's poo poo is backed up I guess.
A small detail - the smallest shareable iCloud Drive data bucket is 200GB for $2.99/mo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I need my data in a trough.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

My Iphone 7 has recently started losing connection to the verizon network. Anyone had this since the last software update or is this likely a hardware failure?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Raccooon posted:

My Iphone 7 has recently started losing connection to the verizon network. Anyone had this since the last software update or is this likely a hardware failure?

Weirdly, my 7 Plus’ connection to T-Mobile has been less solid than usual recently. Maybe it is a software thing.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

Weirdly, my 7 Plus’ connection to T-Mobile has been less solid than usual recently. Maybe it is a software thing.

I have had to restart the phone a few times before it will reconnect

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know if this is an iOS 12 thing, but Apple Music apparently now has Friends Mix, which is songs your friends are listening to.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

https://www.ikream.com/2018/07/fix-iphone-7-keeps-losing-signal-no-service-error-ios-11-update-easy-steps-27535

Looks like if it keeps happening it may be a hardware failure that apple will fix otherwise it may still be from cell service provider still working out bugs on their end.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Weedle posted:

I was just thinking that my service bars had gone down the last few weeks or so. Glad it wasn’t just in my head. Figured they had antenna issues or outages

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do the cameras compare on the latest iPads vs iPhones?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iPhones way better

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I was just thinking that my service bars had gone down the last few weeks or so. Glad it wasn’t just in my head. Figured they had antenna issues or outages

Mine too and I thought it was T-Mobile.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

How do the cameras compare on the latest iPads vs iPhones?

iPhone >>> regular iPad
iPad Pro has the same stuff as an iphone 7, so an 8 or X is going to be better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please do not use your iPad as a camera.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Please do not use your iPad as a camera.

Only at concerts.

god this blows posted:

Mine too and I thought it was T-Mobile.

Interesting 🤔

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Apple should make an ipad-cover that doubles as a wireless charging mat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Raccooon posted:

https://www.ikream.com/2018/07/fix-iphone-7-keeps-losing-signal-no-service-error-ios-11-update-easy-steps-27535

Looks like if it keeps happening it may be a hardware failure that apple will fix otherwise it may still be from cell service provider still working out bugs on their end.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. Two weeks ago I was camping and my iPad (T-mobile) was No Service while my phone was perfectly in service. Anecdotally, my iPhone 8 has had fewer bars than normal also. May be the most recent update.