Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roki B posted:

Idiot workers again suck the dick of capital.

Why won't it cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

KiteAuraan posted:

My choices are... Ireland and Spain. Welp, even with their problems both are a trade-up from the loving US.

you have the choice to live in Spain or Ireland but choose to live in the US? what the gently caress is wrong with you???

Dublin owns and costs like 20 bucks a month to live there

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
we were just talking ancestry. Realistically the EU isn’t letting any of us honkies in unless we marry one of them.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calico Heart posted:

you have the choice to live in Spain or Ireland but choose to live in the US? what the gently caress is wrong with you???

Dublin is cool but it's one of the most expensive cities in Europe op, wtf are you talking about.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Europe doesn’t even want to let in real human beings, and you think they want you troglodytes?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
of course not! we are fantasizing!!!!!!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's Europe's stance on Canadians?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Every country is different.

Realtalk if you are at all interested in moving to Europe and don't have ancestry look up the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT) for the options if gives you (especially computer-toucher types) and Czechia's immigration program.

If you do have ancestry you have a lot more options even if you don't qualify for citizenship directly.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

With your posting, and the way Israel is going, you're gonna be declared an antisemite and barred from Israel within a couple of years.

This might be true if letting the UK back in would cure the Brexit disease, but there's no reason to think it would. At the very least, the EU would demand the UK reenter under regular terms, including a timetable for joining the Euro - the Euro bit to make leaving an even more obvious disaster, and to put a bigger economy in the Eurozone.

I thought they suspended the whole "join the Euro" process? Like it won't work even on short-ish timescales unless they start doing transfer payments anyway, like how the US does it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The EU has been very clear they would be willing to cancel Article 50 and thus Brexit if the UK asked nicely and accept the terms of the UK's current position unchanged. Doing so is widely considered political suicide by every UK politician so don't expect it to happen.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Can't get over how super cool it is that every politician with any power at all has a profit motive to do what's worst for their constituents.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Every country is different.

No two nations are not on fire.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

It's a nice enough city but it ain't cheap. A single-bedroom apartment in a non-poo poo part of town rents for around $1800-$2000 a month and you can easily double that figure if you need a second bedroom or other luxuries like living space.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Is there another Dublin I don't know about

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

bitmap posted:

Is there another Dublin I don't know about

Dublin Ohio is where Wendy's was founded

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Saros posted:

The EU has been very clear they would be willing to cancel Article 50 and thus Brexit if the UK asked nicely and accept the terms of the UK's current position unchanged. Doing so is widely considered political suicide by every UK politician so don't expect it to happen.

wouldn't it only be suicide for every conservative uk politician like may?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gringostar posted:

No, because making any kind of decision makes you own them.

UK is getting us style antipolitics where the main goal is to never have a position on things that can be blamed on you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Dipshit posted:

I thought they suspended the whole "join the Euro" process? Like it won't work even on short-ish timescales unless they start doing transfer payments anyway, like how the US does it.
You seem to be implying that the Euro project actually has some thought behind it. Like, you're right about it not working, but the reason people aren't joining the Euro is because they don't want to - not because the Eurozone members don't want them to. The UK joining the Euro, even in its current sorry state, would be a major victory for the EU/Germany. Not only would it have defeated the EU's greatest critic, the Eurozone would also be bolstered by a large economy that's pretty ideologically and economically compatible with Germany's vision for Europe. Euroskeptics aside, but they're clearly being sidelined in this scenario.

Saros posted:

Wasn't that like a year ago?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You seem to be implying that the Euro project actually has some thought behind it. Like, you're right about it not working, but the reason people aren't joining the Euro is because they don't want to - not because the Eurozone members don't want them to. The UK joining the Euro, even in its current sorry state, would be a major victory for the EU/Germany. Not only would it have defeated the EU's greatest critic, the Eurozone would also be bolstered by a large economy that's pretty ideologically and economically compatible with Germany's vision for Europe. Euroskeptics aside, but they're clearly being sidelined in this scenario.

Wasn't that like a year ago?

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1016327348919193601

It totally depends on what happens, if May somehow manages to hold her government together possibly not but if it dissolves and there is a general election or second referendum all signs are that the EU would much prefer to retain the UK as a member over the alternatives. They're one of the biggest economies in the bloc and the third biggest contributor to the EU so without them there is a massive massive hole in the EU's budget.

Gringostar posted:

Nobody really knows. There are signs that the share of the 'UKIP' vote was much less traditional leftwing voters than everyone thought but it's hard to tell what would happen if Labour came to power and cancelled brexit. For the Tory party there is a good chance it would split the party in two rendering them electorally irrelevant.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Calico Heart posted:

I think you may be confusing Dublin, Georgia with Dublin, Eire. And while it does only cost ~20 bucks a month to live in Dublin, GA, I will tell you that it most assuredly does not "own" unless you are looking to score meth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah isn't dublin's housing market exploding as fast as seattle's right now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Doing so is widely considered political suicide by every UK politician

Bananas. They're talking about food and medicine shortages. How loving dumb is the UK public that they'd crucify the person who kept that from happening?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There are a sizeable portion including some cspam posters who refuse to believe anything bad will happen if we leave with no deal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here's a nice illustration of why so many Trump voters never realize that they're going to die under Trump

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1026985732336959488

e: ^^^ "No Deal" just means nothing happens and everything just stays the same, no harm no foul, right? Right?!?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

important to note that a bunch fo government ministers and high profile politicians are also claiming that no deal is fine. Most of them its because they intend to make a killing as state entities get sold off as happened in russia. Others its because they're genuinely delusional

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

they won’t profit from those sales when comrade Corbyn renationalizes them all.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ikanreed posted:

No, because making any kind of decision makes you own them.

UK is getting us style antipolitics where the main goal is to never have a position on things that can be blamed on you.

do a hard brexit, wait until things start going to poo poo, rush back to EU before complete disaster.
if may is smart she's already got a secret backroom deal with the globalists to facilitate this plan

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

important to note that a bunch fo government ministers and high profile politicians are also claiming that no deal is fine. Most of them its because they intend to make a killing as state entities get sold off as happened in russia. Others its because they're genuinely delusional
If the EU is smart, it has already bought off everyone it needs to to get complete control of the UK's nuclear arsenal. No one wants the UK to become some lovely knockoff of Russia/North Korea, threatening nuclear holocaust if we don't buy their cakes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

The best bit of this is that because a few steel industry people tell trump it's going great for them he doesn't see anything wrong

its funny with the free market thought leaders melting down "this is crony capitalism!!!! this is not what conservatism and free markets are about!!!!" as if anyone actually gives a poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

isn't it exactly what conservatism is normally about? its just that the republicans in the US and tories here long abandoned it in favour of neoliberalism

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

isn't it exactly what conservatism is normally about? its just that the republicans in the US and tories here long abandoned it in favour of neoliberalism

neoliberalism is also about crony capitalism and conservative policies, it's just got a failsafe built in where it will embrace strictly cultural things if they reach 70% approval

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

neoliberalism is about doing crony capitalism (since in the real world there is no such thing as non-crony capitalism) but vehemently denying that it is

exhibit: the editor of the shitrag the national review

https://twitter.com/JonahNRO/status/1026450238792454144

e: heres some other jerkoff with a checkmark ive never heard of before
https://twitter.com/BobBurg/status/1026868929535332352

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Aug 8, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You see this in a lot of Freeper/Breitbart commentators - there's good capitalism, which is the storybook version of meritocracy and succeeding through hard work and ability, and then there's crony capitalism, which is all about shady deals and connections and corruption. It's how they cope with being eaten alive by the rapacious economic model they chose to worship - anything bad that happens (to them, especially) is the fault of wicked, evil crony capitalism, which is a corrupted version of the pure, beneficent, just, prosperity-enhancing real capitalism. Nothing wrong with capitalism (which is good and perfect and the way and the light), it just sometimes gets hijacked by bad actors and self-dealers, like all those people who give money to the Democrat party! They're the real problem!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

You see this in a lot of Freeper/Breitbart commentators - there's good capitalism, which is the storybook version of meritocracy and succeeding through hard work and ability, and then there's crony capitalism, which is all about shady deals and connections and corruption. It's how they cope with being eaten alive by the rapacious economic model they chose to worship - anything bad that happens (to them, especially) is the fault of wicked, evil crony capitalism, which is a corrupted version of the pure, beneficent, just, prosperity-enhancing real capitalism. Nothing wrong with capitalism (which is good and perfect and the way and the light), it just sometimes gets hijacked by bad actors and self-dealers, like all those people who give money to the Democrat party! They're the real problem!

"how do you prevent good capitalism from becoming crony capitalism" is always a good question to ask people who believe this, to see how they square it without admitting that strongly enforced anti-capitalist regulation is the only thing preventing it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

do a hard brexit, wait until things start going to poo poo, rush back to EU before complete disaster.
if may is smart she's already got a secret backroom deal with the globalists to facilitate this plan

that will result in a significantly worse deal than they have now. The EU would be idiotic* to let them renegotiate favorably after a hard brexit.

the only way to maintain their exceptions & what not would be to cancel brexit entirely which will not happen.

* i know, hellworld

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

“crony capitalism” is literally just political economy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

we were just talking ancestry. Realistically the EU isn’t letting any of us honkies in unless we marry one of them.

i literally cannot think of any descendants i have who weren't american.

im stuck here, baby!!!!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oh my god im dyin this is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is very true and is the argument of anyone who supports a flawed system. The argument is that x isn't bad, it's that we are not adhering enough to the fundamentals. It has been corrupted somehow.