Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here are all of the streams from each person's perspective last night. Overall I thought this event was a lot of fun to watch. These five guys grouped with one of the devs and just tried to complete some of the content in the teen levels.

The game is apparently very hard. You can wipe on a couple of basic mobs if your group doesn't know what they're doing. There ended up being close to 100 deaths throughout the stream but Joppa the dev kept summoning everyone back so they could show more of the game.

I enjoyed watching them wipe and then putting together better strategies as they re-engaged a fight. Lots of, "I'll pull the one on the left, you mez the one on the right, if mez breaks then the wizard roots him" type stuff which I love because I'm dumb and old!

Fevrir (Rogue)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I61t7N2jq0

Docgotgame (Enchanter)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/293991365?t=01h59m01s

Thehiveleader (Cleric)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/294037094

Forcegaming (Warrior)
https://www.facebook.com/forcegaming/videos/1904285539637670/

Vress (Ranger)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrccce17i9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love that stuff too but I don't like the idea of something being more difficult, pull and encounter wise, than, say, EQ or FFXI and over 100 deaths sounds like it tips from punishing to insane. I'm gonna buy this game anyway though cus it uses the EQ style nameplates and thats enough for me to spend what will probably be $60

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frog Act posted:

I love that stuff too but I don't like the idea of something being more difficult, pull and encounter wise, than, say, EQ or FFXI and over 100 deaths sounds like it tips from punishing to insane. I'm gonna buy this game anyway though cus it uses the EQ style nameplates and thats enough for me to spend what will probably be $60

Keep in mind these guys were all dumped into content that they're totally unfamiliar with, playing characters they don't know how to play in a game that's already difficult. Like they wipe multiple times because guys just don't know their class mechanics at all.

Compare that to the Cohh stream where things went pretty smoothly because the devs all know how to play the classes.

But still, these mechanics are going to put off a lot of people. The time to kill on mobs is high, you're going to have to run diverse groups with at least the holy trinity and ideally some form of crowd control, an idiot groupmate can make you wipe and death penalties are presumably rough...

There simply isn't a large audience for this game in TYOOL 2018.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm betting it will survive longer than like Vanguard, though, watching those videos I think it all actually looks pretty good (if a little slow, like, the combat is very EQ paced even though there's no reason for like the big swing delays and stuff these days). Its also nice that they're moving around a lot but it raises questions for me about actual mechanics, like do they expect players to generally make their way into dungeons and clear them or is it going to be camping like EQ? are there any fast travel systems at all? I'm ambivalent and can live without fast travel but most people probably can't

those concerns aside I actually really like the extremely generic but acceptable graphics because the style is just right imo. The Ogre in particular is well animated and looks cool. Watching the Cleric stream looks like they've done a pretty dope job balancing out mana and healing frequency + cast time, dude is using his smaller direct heal constantly to keep the tank up and popping a bigger one now and again.

i share your general concern however, watching this I can't help but think the only people who are going to play this are going to be whoever still remembers vanguard (the posters in this thread) and all 500 people who still play project 1999

ed: they're really going outta teh way to emulate the classic mmo experience, which is really highlighted by them taking 45 minutes to get their group together and start killing things even in a pre arranged stream lol

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 7, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

There simply isn't a large audience for this game in TYOOL 2018.
Yeah, this was going to be a very niche game, much like another crowd-funded darling, Shroud of the Avatar. If they can manage development costs in line with an active playerbase of around 2,000, it might have some longevity in it.

Unfortunately I think the team is looking for another big, breakout hit with tens and tens of thousands of active (and paying) users. I really hope they've tempered not only their own expectations, but the players' expectations as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guarantee Pantheon at some point will be rebalanced to be solo friendly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its gonna get a patch that adds mercenaries and exp potions from a F2P coin shop within a year if they don't balance their expectations. all that being said the gameplay already looks considerably better than SOTA, which is a garbage fire on every single level

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like how Rift handles open world group content, in that you are just thrown into a random 20 person raid group and kill mobs. I want an MMO that is focused entirely on that. Make grouping super easy to do if you are going to require it to make any progress.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

I really like how Rift handles open world group content, in that you are just thrown into a random 20 person raid group and kill mobs. I want an MMO that is focused entirely on that. Make grouping super easy to do if you are going to require it to make any progress.

but then you don't form ~real relationships~

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Ehud posted:

real relationships in everquest consisted of hating everybody, including your guildmates. ESPECIALLY your guildmates.

I speak without hyperbole when I say that a game that straight up bugs out and kills you (where pantheon is now) is better than 2018 everquest or 1999 everquest or anything in between. I played more than enough eq to know this first hand

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ad by Khad posted:

real relationships in everquest consisted of hating everybody, including your guildmates. ESPECIALLY your guildmates.

I speak without hyperbole when I say that a game that straight up bugs out and kills you (where pantheon is now) is better than 2018 everquest or 1999 everquest or anything in between. I played more than enough eq to know this first hand

Sounds like you're confusing your anecdotal experience with EQ with everyone else's, I met plenty of people that I liked.

Claiming that Pantheon is already better than "1999 EverQuest" is incredibly strange though

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Rift was my favorite MMO ever but tbh the rift system wasn't really the highlight of the game, though when it worked it worked really well. Like during the recent relaunch it was the only intact part from when the game was good in 2011 and was a lot of fun cus there were 3-4k people levelling and thus they were full on most of the time (for a week or so at least).

That being said they were ultimately just a grind to unlock certain elements for source cores used for really niche instance rolls back in 2012 or so when it was a functional game, and quickly stopped being an organic thing most of the time and were organized like raids. There were floating groups that did them but they had to balance for idiocy and so they were mostly just standing around spamming damage abilities because nothing could be tanked or healed or anything, it was all just random. Except for the big zone specific event which required not only a lot of players but specific cooperation

Rift's biggest strength were its pitch perfect tab target wow-clone raids imo. they were loving great

I know everyone is correctly (to a degree) sarcastic about the friend making element of games like p99 adn ffxi but I do genuinely think that hanging out pulling stuff in the overworld on a persistent server builds community more than those theme parkey rift type public quests because of -insert played out arguments about instances and risk v reward-

also lol Rift was up to 1100 players on steam with prime (which probably represents about, idk, 2/3rds of the playerbase? maybe less, I never played through steam despite playing everything else that way) but is now down to 2-400 tops at all times. RIP

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only niche mmo that has done well in recent years i can think of is project gorgon and that's because 2 people are making it so they could afford to give it away for over a year until enough people got into it through word of mouth that the audience was there for the very economic buy-to-play model official release

like people have said chances are the development costs for pantheon are going to be too high for the likely playerbase it'll attract at launch

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Percelus posted:

like people have said chances are the development costs for pantheon are going to be too high for the likely playerbase it'll attract at launch

Unity Store assets don't cost very much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

Hello neighbour

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

you can take me out to dinner anytime

Remit
Nov 9, 2007
1 hour 22 minutes in they indicate that Alpha will not be happening by end of the year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Remit posted:

1 hour 22 minutes in they indicate that Alpha will not be happening by end of the year

Christ, how tiny is this team?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I just read the OP and literally all of those “features” can and will be made utterly worthless with the most basic internet searches.

It is not 1997; you cannot expect to have “hidden” spells that last beyond your first pre-alpha early access pre launch whatever. For a single player game, sure, people might choose not to look up crafting recipe X, but in an MMO people need to stay competitive.

What is with the ancient white dudes trying to re-make old poo poo? The world moved on. Find a way to make your game WITH the technologies of today, or make a different game.

Weather effects are cool though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I played the gently caress outta Rift in its first six months, left, then tried to reinstall a year ago. Their dumbass client wouldn’t log me in no matter what, so yeah uh Pantheon don’t do whatever the Rift devs did to prevent me from spending money on an MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

I played the gently caress outta Rift in its first six months, left, then tried to reinstall a year ago. Their dumbass client wouldn’t log me in no matter what, so yeah uh Pantheon don’t do whatever the Rift devs did to prevent me from spending money on an MMO.

If you can't get pass a simple login then the problem is probably you and it doesn't matter what Pantheon does.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mulva posted:

Being good at playing video games and getting watched playing video games are generally not two things that go well together.

Tell that to pro league of legends players. Or kripparian

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Holyshoot posted:

One, most professional gamers are boring as gently caress to watch even when they are good at the game. And two, there is always going to be a top 1% of the top 1% that actually are compelling and competent. It doesn't change the fact the majority are poo poo.

And don't forget to hit that like button and subscribe!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Holyshoot posted:

Pro league players are actually kind of a good example, considering there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of them who couldn't draw viewers to their stream if they tried because they are so fuckin bland.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thursday Next posted:

I just read the OP and literally all of those “features” can and will be made utterly worthless with the most basic internet searches.

It is not 1997; you cannot expect to have “hidden” spells that last beyond your first pre-alpha early access pre launch whatever. For a single player game, sure, people might choose not to look up crafting recipe X, but in an MMO people need to stay competitive.

What is with the ancient white dudes trying to re-make old poo poo? The world moved on. Find a way to make your game WITH the technologies of today, or make a different game.

Weather effects are cool though.

I think there will be a mix of try-hard people who look up every quest, location of spells, etc. and other people who are happy to go at their own pace and figure things out as they go.

My play style in MMO's is somewhere in the middle. I love exploring and finding stuff on my own and I'm never going to win any races to level 60 or whatever, but I'm fine looking up the location of certain things, crafting recipes and quests.

Even if the internet makes a lot of that stuff common knowledge, I still love the idea of having to go beat some content to earn a spell or new skill. I think it would be so much fun to hit level 20 and go with five people to kill some boss in a dungeon because they drop Celestial Healing V or whatever. Anything is better than "DING" and spells just appear on my hotbar.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Some kind soul put together an elaborate summary of the streams:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HHKx9QPpVYWunIh3EgS-unMncNJHR1nc52LtIuTb8W8/edit#heading=h.o0pmu712pg1u

...like they got screenshots of every ability, piece of equipment, different interfaces...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Robe casters are up on the site now

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/wizard/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/summoner/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/enchanter/

Summoner sounds ambitious. In addition to the normal pet class stuff, they can summon walls to protect allies, a raft that you can sail on, a ladder where you can scale walls in certain locations, an escape portal, random creatures that Enchanters can then charm, and by far the most important ability in the game:

Weaponize Object
You summon an object from the surrounding environment to drop or hurl at your enemy. The larger the object, the more damage it will inflict. The size of the object is determined by your current level, Strength, Constitution and Intelligence.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As always, the only thing I want from casters is some armor that doesn't look like a drat robe.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ad by Khad posted:

I still harbor dislike for some people from rival guilds in Everquest and would have no issue putting a fist through their face if we poo poo talked each other like we did back then today. Especially the guy who stole a guild bank and used it to put a down payment on a house in Tennessee after taking over control of it from me when two guilds merged.

Mainly because he thought of it before I did and I was too much of an honest sucker with morals to realize I was sitting on a mountain of platinum worth a shitload of IRL money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The real test of Pantheons success will be if it has a single zone that everyone gathers in to trade.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

Robe casters are up on the site now

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/wizard/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/summoner/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/enchanter/

Summoner sounds ambitious. In addition to the normal pet class stuff, they can summon walls to protect allies, a raft that you can sail on, a ladder where you can scale walls in certain locations, an escape portal, random creatures that Enchanters can then charm, and by far the most important ability in the game:

Weaponize Object
You summon an object from the surrounding environment to drop or hurl at your enemy. The larger the object, the more damage it will inflict. The size of the object is determined by your current level, Strength, Constitution and Intelligence.

this is extremely dubious sounding and I feel like its gonna have a stock of like 10 things that change vaguely based on the zone type you're in. Enchanter sounds just like EQ chanters though which is very cool, I love buffing classes

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frog Act posted:

this is extremely dubious sounding and I feel like its gonna have a stock of like 10 things that change vaguely based on the zone type you're in. Enchanter sounds just like EQ chanters though which is very cool, I love buffing classes

I'm sure there will be limits, but it still has the potential to be hilarious and a fun skill.

I'm more dubious about the idea that the summoner is gonna be conjuring up walls to protect allies. That sounds like a potential mob pathing nightmare in dungeons. Maybe they'll make it so that the mob aggros the wall itself and attacks it?

Who knows? I just like all the silly ability ideas they have.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I said come in! posted:

If you can't get pass a simple login then the problem is probably you and it doesn't matter what Pantheon does.

Their poo poo wouldn’t sync my old account with their insistence on steam so whatever :colbert:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ehud posted:

I'm sure there will be limits, but it still has the potential to be hilarious and a fun skill.

I'm more dubious about the idea that the summoner is gonna be conjuring up walls to protect allies. That sounds like a potential mob pathing nightmare in dungeons. Maybe they'll make it so that the mob aggros the wall itself and attacks it?

Who knows? I just like all the silly ability ideas they have.

I mean, with non instanced dungeons and certain named mobs not having static spawn locations, it would be pretty cool to race another group to a named and win because you summoned a ladder that let you skip clearing a bunch of trash or whatever. I doubt that’s how it will usually turn out though.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ehud posted:

I think there will be a mix of try-hard people who look up every quest, location of spells, etc. and other people who are happy to go at their own pace and figure things out as they go.

My play style in MMO's is somewhere in the middle. I love exploring and finding stuff on my own and I'm never going to win any races to level 60 or whatever, but I'm fine looking up the location of certain things, crafting recipes and quests.

Even if the internet makes a lot of that stuff common knowledge, I still love the idea of having to go beat some content to earn a spell or new skill. I think it would be so much fun to hit level 20 and go with five people to kill some boss in a dungeon because they drop Celestial Healing V or whatever. Anything is better than "DING" and spells just appear on my hotbar.

In legion blizzard managed to put in a maze dungeon you can't map. Its possible if smart enough people try hard enough.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Byolante posted:

In legion blizzard managed to put in a maze dungeon you can't map. Its possible if smart enough people try hard enough.

how? is it just randomly generated every time?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Suprfli6 posted:

I mean, with non instanced dungeons and certain named mobs not having static spawn locations, it would be pretty cool to race another group to a named and win because you summoned a ladder that let you skip clearing a bunch of trash or whatever. I doubt that’s how it will usually turn out though.

They mentioned that they are putting in content in areas that you need certain class skills and spells to access. Like a Rogue would need to pick a lock to get into certain rooms, an enchanter would need to dispel an illusory wall, a warrior would need to charge through a wall, etc.

I think the ladder is probably along those lines. Same with the summonable boat and the summonable resist gear for areas where there are environmental factors.

Pantheon devs want you to be forced to work with people to clear content and I think that's why all of this stuff exists.

All of that reliance on others runs so counter to the modern MMO and play style most people want. The idea that you can't go get a particular item because you don't have a Rogue to pick a lock for you is gonna be a huge turn-off for some people.

I think it's kind of cool :shobon:

Byolante posted:

It's possible for a huge AAA studio working on the most successful MMO in history. Visionary Realms will be lucky if this game reaches a 1.0 release.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

a raft that you can sail on

I hope this means you can buy your own boats to sail wherever you want to. Boats were craftable in Vanguard and they were a really great aspect of the game. And of course they were in UO, too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh here's a fun thing. Vress apparently hung out after the streams ended and ran around the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZy0KwqMODc&t=9250s

He leaves Black Rose Keep, runs around Avendyr's Pass and into Thronefast.

He climbs up to the walls of Thronefast and you can see the ice orc place, Black Rose Keep, and a bunch of other points of interest in the distance.

Then he goes and does a little fetch quest that he got from a guard.

edit: Then he is summoned by one of the devs to some kind of lore NPC who...does...something.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

those graphics are so boring.