Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
calling bullshit on this narrative surrounding different ""strains"". my wife's cramps get better every time she hits a fat blunt and I've been asking my dealer for different "'"strains"" each time. if she gets the same effect how can you claim there's a difference between strains? crock of poo poo if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

indyrenegade posted:

calling bullshit on this narrative surrounding different ""strains"". my wife's cramps get better every time she hits a fat blunt and I've been asking my dealer for different "'"strains"" each time. if she gets the same effect how can you claim there's a difference between strains? crock of poo poo if you ask me.

Realistically? your dealer sells crap weed and doesn't actually care that you're asking for different strains. hth

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when you go to the grocery store and look at the apples and they're trying to be all "granny smith" vs "golden delicious" vs "gala" vs "fuji" thats all a bunch of crap man apples are apples thats just Big Grocery trying to rip you off

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
now this apple is a very heady chew, with hints of mint and cookie dough

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Earwicker posted:

when you go to the grocery store and look at the apples and they're trying to be all "granny smith" vs "golden delicious" vs "gala" vs "fuji" thats all a bunch of crap man apples are apples thats just Big Grocery trying to rip you off

SEE? this guy has the right idea

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I don't feel any different after eating a red vs a green apple.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Turn those apples into edibles like pie or applesauce and I doubt you could tell the difference. Don't even get me started on apple tincture.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ferroque posted:

Turn those apples into edibles like pie or applesauce and I doubt you could tell the difference. Don't even get me started on apple tincture.

You can tell the difference

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ferroque posted:

Turn those apples into edibles like pie or applesauce and I doubt you could tell the difference

you can definitely tell the difference and in most cases using anything other than granny smith in a pie is going to be gross

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also different varieties of apples have different sugar content which does effect your body even if you dont necessarily feel it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I find that fuji apples are really good for creativity

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Green vs red apples is like the difference between sativa and indica, which is the only significant difference between different types of weed. You can't tell the difference between two types of sativa if you smoked them blind.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Improbable Lobster posted:

I find that fuji apples are really good for creativity

Especially photography

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ferroque posted:

Green vs red apples is like the difference between sativa and indica, which is the only significant difference between different types of weed. You can't tell the difference between two types of sativa if you smoked them blind.

You have a bad dealer. You've been getting the same poo poo but they are telling you it's different there's visual and smell distinctions between buds that can be pointed out with the naked eye

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I don't deny weed can look and smell different, but will it significantly alter my high? I dunno. I think what matters more is the device you use to smoke it with.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ferroque posted:

will it significantly alter my high? I dunno.

lol

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

ferroque posted:

I don't deny weed can look and smell different, but will it significantly alter my high? I dunno. I think what matters more is the device you use to smoke it with.

don't listen to the #straingang they're just bought and sold by big marijuana

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got a single nug in my last oz that was 16 grams, does that count as big marijuana

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got a single nug in my last oz that was 16 grams, does that count as big marijuana

yes

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like all my apples to be soft and mealy with tons of seeds. They’re best when there’s a slice of wonder bread in the bag too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
*apples are criminalized*

*people start eating styrofoam in the shape of apples injected with synthetic apple flavors imported from china*

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Anyone have any clean piss? I have a job interview coming up and I dug into a cobbler the other day... just couldn't help myself

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mozi posted:

*apples are criminalized*

*people start eating styrofoam in the shape of apples injected with synthetic apple flavors imported from china*

no need to criminalize, people already eat all kinds of fake rear end apple flavored junk

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
my buddy got locked up for walking around with a small bag of apple slices in his pocket wtf america he's just trying to keep the doctor away

it's medicinal!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Are there any strains of weed that are popular right now that give you like a sopium high? Bonus points if it smells right too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

no need to criminalize, people already eat all kinds of fake rear end apple flavored junk

lol actually yeah good point

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
I’ve come to the conclusion that strains are a thing, but all that means is different cannabinoid and terpene levels. That will effect the high to some degree, in that you may have more or less CBD, CBN and so on, and make it taste different.

Whether or not indica vs sativa has any effect on this is debatable. I don’t think so, as an indica strain with nearly the same cannabinoid and terpene profile as a sativa will feel similar, if not taste similar.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Scientists will find that the high you get will be based on an individuals brain chemistry

Anecdotal evidence for me is I can have a high THC strain and I'll get lower paranoia and anxiety than a lower THC strain which is supposed to reduce anxiety. Sativa strains are supposed to give me less anxiety but it turns out Indica strains give me less anxiety.

This situation is reversed for a friend of mine when we compare notes.

I'm glad it's being legalized in Canada in October so people can actually figure out how different strains work on different people, without being blacklisted by the government.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A ton of weed is hybrid strains anyway.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm glad it's being legalized in Canada in October so people can actually figure out how different strains work on different people, without being blacklisted by the government.

This is one of the maddening side effects of prohibition. 99% of the information we have about weed is hearsay or anecdotal, and right now personal experience is the only way to figure anything out.

It’s been unfun trying to guide my sick mom through the weed process, as there’s no way to do something like induce sleep without trial and error. Sure, eventually we find strains that seem to help, she now has more better days than before, but we still don’t know for sure why that’s the case.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Fried Watermelon posted:

I run in journalism circles and the pamphlets Canna NB had to give to the media were bullshit; instead of explaining major differences between sativa/indica/hybrids they explained them as there being "social" weed and "creative" weed and "relaxing" weed.

Leave it to NB to gently caress it up tho

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

indyrenegade posted:

I run in journalism circles and the pamphlets Canna NB had to give to the media were bullshit; instead of explaining major differences between sativa/indica/hybrids they explained them as there being "social" weed and "creative" weed and "relaxing" weed.

Leave it to NB to gently caress it up tho

Leave it to the government to fall for the "strains" myth

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

ferroque posted:

I absolutely can tell the difference between different strains when smoking them blind. Not every strain of course, because many of them are similar. I probably couldn't tell the difference between Super Lemon Haze and Super Silver Haze, but I 100% could tell the difference between Super Lemon Haze and Jack Herer. Or Strawberry Cough, Sour Diesel, Durban Poison, and some others I'm not thinking of.

There's companies out here that make oil cartridge pens that aren't marketed by strain, but instead by the effect. They'll be named things like "Relax" or "Invigorate" or whatever. I've bought several from one company, and when I tried their most recent one, I used it and was like "WTF, this is just Blue Dream." They don't list the strain name, but they do list the terpene profile for the oil, so I went online and compared it with Blue Dream's terpene profile, and they were extremely similar.

On the other hand, I think there are people who just can't tell the difference. I know a couple in their 60's, and the guy has been smoking all his life. He swears that every single thing he's ever smoked is exactly the same as every other thing and that strains don't exist. His wife is less experienced and wasn't sure what to think. Recently his wife started complaining to me that she doesn't know what he smoked, but since he re-upped his supply, every night when he smokes he's "super annoying." She complained that he talks and hums non-stop and it irritates the crap out of her. He wasn't doing it before they bought their most recent supply, so it was definitely that particular strain. He swore he wasn't acting any differently, but his wife definitely could tell the difference and stopped wanting to smoke with him. The only conclusion I can come to there is that he literally just can't tell, even though people observing him can.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe he’s just annoying and she’s only realizing it now.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
My aunt has had really bad Parkinson's over the past couple years and lately it's lovely to see her suffering so much. Her medication does nothing.
I've been thinking about getting her some CBD oil but some searching online has left me confused. There seems to be so many different kinds.

I've also read that CBD isn't very good for Parkinson's and THC oil is better.

I just gotta try convince her.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
just chief a big blunt right in her face and say 'this is for your own good!'

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Mozi posted:

just chief a big blunt right in her face and say 'this is for your own good!'

I would if I knew how to roll one. Few years now and I've never been able to. Tried a few times but hosed up. I can give her my dirty rear end MFLB and grimey rear end glass stem though.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Literally YouTube how to roll a blunt

edit: clean your piece

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

My aunt has had really bad Parkinson's over the past couple years and lately it's lovely to see her suffering so much. Her medication does nothing.
I've been thinking about getting her some CBD oil but some searching online has left me confused. There seems to be so many different kinds.

I've also read that CBD isn't very good for Parkinson's and THC oil is better.

I just gotta try convince her.

CBD oil is CBD oil: if you are seeing different kinds it's either a marketing gimmick of theirs, or they did something dumb like add all sorts of herbal bullshit to it.
You simply want CBD oil, as plain as possible, and hopefully with a decent flavoring so that your aunt will take it.

I don't know the specifics on Parkinsons and CBD to be honest, but I know that CBD seems like such a miracle drug that it is definitely worth giving a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
Also, keep in mind CBD doses for serious issues are often higher than you might expect. I’ve seen 2-6mg/lb recommended ( https://www.epilepsyfoundationmn.org/files/5014/1450/6355/Programs_Conferences_2014_Fall_Conference_Medical_Marijuana_Presentation.pptx ), along with 200-300mg a day.

That’s for intractable seizures, but it’s worth doing a little research to make sure you’re not under-dosing.

Of course start low, 5-10mg, but don’t be concerned if you find she needs to go past 30-50mg a dose.