Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
xerxus posted an interesting post in the other thread about what precisely the writing “process” for the first season was like:

xerxus posted:

I posted this on another websight. I think it might explain some of the production history.

What I can piece together is that the overall plan changed twice. Once with Fuller, and the other with injection of the 2 additional episodes.
Fuller imagined the show to be a self contained Anthology series, so the first season would be one whole complete arc, but he probably relented on that idea early on.

While Fuller always wanted to visit the mirror universe, the initial plan was much earlier in the season during the first half.

I would love to learn the details of how they were going to structure it. Were they alternating the ISS/USS Discovery in each other's universes each week? Fuller's plan was probably very ambitious and expensive to realize. I believe CBS wanted this whole thing simplified so that the show can finally move forward.

Bryan “not known as someone who prioritizes deadlines and budgets above all else” Fuller was fired in late October 2016.

"Before Bryan left, we had worked on, talked about, explored ideas that carried us for the better part of the first six or seven episodes," Harberts tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We had an idea about how we wanted it to end and to a certain degree, we're still trying to make that happen." - Before August 3, 2017 (during filming approx Episode 12. They're writing the final episodes.)

Since filming was due to begin in January 2017, it would have been too late to change much of the Shenzhou/Burnham storyline but the scripts for episode 3 onwards were scrapped. Whatever original MU plan as a framing device was jettisoned. We didn't really get many 'doppelgangers' in the final product. It's really only Georgiou.

So from January through to May, they were running on a new plan, which probably involves ending the season with the Death of Lorca and the return to Prime Universe to a Federation that is very much losing the War.

The season was extended to 15 episodes mid May, when they should filming episode 7 (Magic). My guess is that someone high up decided they don't want to Klingon War to extend to Season 2, so they decided to add 2 episodes to finish the arc, and do some retooling of the rest of the season. Isaacs might have had scheduling conflicts (promoting his film?) so he still had to bow out at 1x13.

Episodes 14-15 now contains the condensed plot of Season 2. It explains why they went from 'no spores' to 'spore moon' for what should have taken a few episodes originally. I think another big change is the Voq/Tyler/L'Rell plan. Voq would still have awakened after seeing his mirror counterpart, but he's going to remain a secret agent on board the Discovery causing issues in Season 2 until his discovery later on. They had to trigger the storyline now since AshVoq was always meant to be the endgame for peace.

Right now, the Voq/L'rell plot just seems dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

They said it's not Mirror Culber either, I think.

Maybe he ~exists in the network~ now and will be a space-mushroom-projection.

He will be a force ghost, duh.

Also, klingons are getting hair, and redesign for season 2.
theyre clearly listening to whoever was talking about hairless aliens pages back.

https://out.reddit.com/t3_95f10t?ur..._name=desktop2x

quote:

If you really think about season one, and the Klingon story line, we had this incredibly ritualistic season with them. It was really about unification, and igniting the beacon, the Light of Kahless, and bringing him back… so we integrated that very much and thought a lot about that...

There is this whole thing with hair and ritual and unification that was very much in the forefront of our mind when we were designing.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 8, 2018

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Why did they decide to make the teasers in "Enterprise" so boring? Hoshi talks about a slug, cut to credits. Yep, that'll keep people interested.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why did they decide to make the teasers in "Enterprise" so boring?

Truth in advertising

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why did they decide to make "Enterprise" so boring?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why did they decide to make "Enterprise"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why did they decide to make the teasers in "Enterprise" so boring? Hoshi talks about a slug, cut to credits. Yep, that'll keep people interested.
Enterprise is pretty dull until Season 3

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

[Mayweather reads a book.] "Ensign Mayweather, report to the bridge." It's been a long roooooad...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I only watched season 1 of Enterprise, and the whole time I was asking myself "why aren't I watching Quantum Leap instead"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Why did they decide to make "Enterprise"?

Because Voyager was over and UPN wanted to have another Star Trek show as a flagship. Unfortunately, they hired a boob and a guy who was--by his own admission--completely and utterly burned out on Trek to be the producers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Because Voyager was over and UPN wanted to have another Star Trek show as a flagship. Unfortunately, they hired a boob and a guy who was--by his own admission--completely and utterly burned out on Trek to be the producers.

Not to mention, UPN kinda dicked them over with their initial concept, which would have been a more serialized first season on Earth that leads to the Enterprise NX-01 being built and launched at the end of it. But the network execs of course responded with “no we want more space adventurrrrrrs!!!!”

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its a shame, theres so much I like about ENT, but the stuff they lead with just dragged everything down.

Visually its probably my favorite Trek show. I absolutely love every ounce of the production design. The uniforms and their little NASA style mission badges, the pseudo circular corridors, the detail in every little panel on the wall, the cramped tiny cabins where it looks like even the captain's room he's ready to bang his head on struts overhead, and even small details like the little staircase suspended by chains to get into the shuttlecraft.

The designers and builders really did a bang up job making it look good, but "old" compared to the rest of Trek. I even liked when the stories leaned on acknowledging it as a prequel in real ways, like the crew being gung ho bumbling fools who don't really know whats waiting for them or how to act.

For everything that was great though, there were 5 "hey maybe I should call this the Reed alert?", or just once again doing rehashed TNG stories like nothing was different.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Oh I know. I was excited for it, but just like with DISCO, I wish it was a sequel not a prequel

Tom Guycot posted:

Its a shame, theres so much I like about ENT, but the stuff they lead with just dragged everything down.

Visually its probably my favorite Trek show. I absolutely love every ounce of the production design. The uniforms and their little NASA style mission badges, the pseudo circular corridors, the detail in every little panel on the wall, the cramped tiny cabins where it looks like even the captain's room he's ready to bang his head on struts overhead, and even small details like the little staircase suspended by chains to get into the shuttlecraft.

The designers and builders really did a bang up job making it look good, but "old" compared to the rest of Trek. I even liked when the stories leaned on acknowledging it as a prequel in real ways, like the crew being gung ho bumbling fools who don't really know whats waiting for them or how to act.

For everything that was great though, there were 5 "hey maybe I should call this the Reed alert?", or just once again doing rehashed TNG stories like nothing was different.

I totally agree with you other than "Reed alert" that was cute. Figuring out what automatic things should happen when is a valid prequel plot point. The real problem was Phase Pistols already in the pilot, photonic torpedoes, and worst of all Hull Plating is at 62%! Ughhh

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

Oh I know. I was excited for it, but just like with DISCO, I wish it was a sequel not a prequel

I totally agree with you other than "Reed alert" that was cute. Figuring out what automatic things should happen when is a valid prequel plot point. The real problem was Phase Pistols already in the pilot, photonic torpedoes, and worst of all Hull Plating is at 62%! Ughhh

Hah, god hull plating was so stupid. It really was the worst when they just did what every other trek did because they didn't know how else to write a scene so they just threw in poo poo like hull plating instead of shields.

Its especially sad because when they did give a drat there was great stuff like a reliance on shuttle craft and people being afraid of transporters which they kept throughout and had real plot impacts. When the ship got damaged as well, I liked seeing repair crews with welding masks and torches welding poo poo together.

EDIT: I should say the idea of hull plating isn't stupid at all, and if there was some kind of ablative hull coating they had to synthesize and reapply or something when it burned through that might have been neat. But they just "polarized the hull" and treated it no different from shields.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 8, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Not to mention, UPN kinda dicked them over with their initial concept, which would have been a more serialized first season on Earth that leads to the Enterprise NX-01 being built and launched at the end of it. But the network execs of course responded with “no we want more space adventurrrrrrs!!!!”

And also forced them to put in the temporal cold war as a way of linking it to the post-TNG era, since they were terrified of the idea of a prequel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And then Braga's ultimate idea that Future Guy talking to the Suliban was Archer himself. :wtf:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They needed to (and eventually didn’t) do something interesting with Archer. Having Future Guy turn out to be Archer would have been kind of stupid, but it certainly would have been interesting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if it were a previously unknown sibling as Spock?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Timby posted:

And then Braga's ultimate idea that Future Guy talking to the Suliban was Archer himself. :wtf:

Eh, that works as well as anything else they did with the Temporal Cold War arc. I dont know that it would have been a great idea, but they could have done something with it. The problem with the Temporal Cold War was that it was incoherent.

Ok, so you had Daniels and the future Federation who were trying to protect the timeline, and you had the Sphere Builders, who got the Xindi to worship them as God's and tried to get them to destroy Earth to wipe out future Federation.

So that's fine, but then you have Future Guy, who is generically altering the Suliban for some reason? And those aliens who teamed up with the Nazis?

Making Future Guy Archer at least might have helped us figure out his motivatons.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Nazi Aliens were the only good part of the Temporal Cold War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

Eh, that works as well as anything else they did with the Temporal Cold War arc. I dont know that it would have been a great idea, but they could have done something with it. The problem with the Temporal Cold War was that it was incoherent.

Ok, so you had Daniels and the future Federation who were trying to protect the timeline, and you had the Sphere Builders, who got the Xindi to worship them as God's and tried to get them to destroy Earth to wipe out future Federation.

So that's fine, but then you have Future Guy, who is generically altering the Suliban for some reason? And those aliens who teamed up with the Nazis?

Making Future Guy Archer at least might have helped us figure out his motivatons.

The other idea ENT's runners had tossed around was that Future Guy was a 29th century Romulan and would have been much more heavily involved in the Romulan War of the fifth season, and he had just been using the Suliban as catspaws to weaken the proto-Federation before the war.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

The Nazi Aliens were the only good part of the Temporal Cold War.

I hated the nazi aliens and I still agree with this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Alan_Shore posted:

I only watched season 1 of Enterprise, and the whole time I was asking myself "why aren't I watching Quantum Leap instead"

Because they didn't secure the music rights when they released Quantum Leap on DVD, making a lot of the episodes lose a pretty big emotional punch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, oi foinally got to dat bringloidi episode, oi did, and shore an’ it’s a real poyle o’ crap, innit? Jaysus Croist an’ deedle-dee-dee potatoes!

[exaggerated, Dom DeLuise-esque wheezing]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sure and begorrah, the guest star is one of the cutest in all of TNG tho

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phylodox posted:

So, oi foinally got to dat bringloidi episode, oi did, and shore an’ it’s a real poyle o’ crap, innit? Jaysus Croist an’ deedle-dee-dee potatoes!

[exaggerated, Dom DeLuise-esque wheezing]

https://twitter.com/paul_haine/status/766601719631454208

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

If they're gonna keep doing prequels I wish they'd at least put one somewhere in that huge gap between Undiscovered Country and TNG.

Midquels, whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man, everyone who was laughing at the Voyager episode previews earlier should watch the one for the ep where Seven gets abducted and her nanoprobes get stolen haha not really. Real classy stuff from UPN there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I was going to say it was the first genuinely bad Next Generation episode I’ve come across so far, but then I remembered the similarly bizarrely racist “Code of Honor” (which at least had that weird, lurid colour scheme so you could pretend it was an OG episode that got misplaced).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delsaber posted:

If they're gonna keep doing prequels I wish they'd at least put one somewhere in that huge gap between Undiscovered Country and TNG.

Midquels, whatever.

I have to admit I'd get a big kick out of a miniseries set on the last Constitution-class ship in service. What used to be the pride of the fleet is now worn down and badly in need of an overhaul but the captain and the chief engineer both know that if she needs anything more substantive than a self-sealing stem bolt, Starfleet will instantly decommission her, so they bust their asses and haggle and hustle whatever parts they need to keep the ship running.

The miniseries doesn't end with the ship getting trashed in a firefight, but she does get to save the day one last time before they get the call: she's being decommissioned anyway so that Starfleet can strip her for parts to keep the Constellation production line running after the nacelle factory fucks up and has a backlog or something. As she approaches spacedock the newly-commissioned USS Ambassador passes by and renders honors one last time to the grand old lady of the fleet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I was going to say it was the first genuinely bad Next Generation episode I’ve come across so far, but then I remembered the similarly bizarrely racist “Code of Honor” (which at least had that weird, lurid colour scheme so you could pretend it was an OG episode that got misplaced).

The best bit is when Riker is heading off with the hot Irish lady and Picard just gives a knowing look of "Oh, that Riker! Always shagging!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The best bit is when Riker is heading off with the hot Irish lady and Picard just gives a knowing look of "Oh, that Riker! Always shagging!"

Not as good as when Yar reveals she "of course" wants to gently caress the man who abducted her because women and power amirite?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

Not as good as when Yar reveals she "of course" wants to gently caress the man who abducted her because women and power amirite?

Basically everything “Up The Long Ladder” does badly, “Code of Honor” does worse. At least the bringloidi didn’t look like a 19th century Englishman’s idea of an African tribesman had a baby with a Sprite commercial circa 1987.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Post more of the promos they’re incredible

Not in a good way, mind you

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have to admit I'd get a big kick out of a miniseries set on the last Constitution-class ship in service. What used to be the pride of the fleet is now worn down and badly in need of an overhaul but the captain and the chief engineer both know that if she needs anything more substantive than a self-sealing stem bolt, Starfleet will instantly decommission her, so they bust their asses and haggle and hustle whatever parts they need to keep the ship running.

The miniseries doesn't end with the ship getting trashed in a firefight, but she does get to save the day one last time before they get the call: she's being decommissioned anyway so that Starfleet can strip her for parts to keep the Constellation production line running after the nacelle factory fucks up and has a backlog or something. As she approaches spacedock the newly-commissioned USS Ambassador passes by and renders honors one last time to the grand old lady of the fleet.

Get this person a two-parter time travel episode, stat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

So ... the BSG remake? :v:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
More of my favourite terrible UPN Voyager promos. Basically any episode that's good, they make look terrible, and any episode that references sex is non-stop porno.

Here's the Voyager "Seven gets raped" Retrospect episode promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmYThAzARg

The hilarious promo for Counterpoint where Janeway has to hide telepaths. The ending narration is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_LOM1rAv8

The Doctor takes over Seven's body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VsjEjddL8w

Living Witness where The Doctor ends up in a museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toTRQXMoh3c

B'Elanna goes through Pon Farr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eya681g3f3o

Doc tries to teach Seven how to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjYTGBuLMAw

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, holy poo poo, babby Diedrich Bader! :haw:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

So ... the BSG remake? :v:

:haw:

Sure, but without the apocalyptic end of civilization and crew of failures and misfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
If we are throwing out show ideas, why not Down Periscope in space for the next Star Trek/star trek parody thing? Basically what the Orville should have been. A bunch of total fuckups who forrest gump their way to victory, with their rivals being a not-tng crew of the best of the best, and still manage to win in increasingly stupid ways.

Like the A-team of the tng crew try standard negotiation tactics, but Lt. Fuckup decided to show these people the power of cocaine and now they are part of the federation becuase if they have cocaine, what other wonders could they possess.