Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

the cayman is the best porsche. congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jymmybob posted:

I literally just moved this week to Asheville NC :v:

Which cars did you take?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I sold the 968 and salvage 996. The 996TT is getting the wrap repaired from where they did a lovely job but it's getting shipped in a couple weeks so we can enjoy the winding mountain roads down here.

This guy bought the 968 and is a super cool dude. https://www.facebook.com/used944parts/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love Asheville, NC. Have done a bunch of mountain biking and road cycling out of there. Imagine driving is going to be great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Doing the full brakes on the 996 today including rotor replacement. Looks shockingly simple to do. I totally expect to run into something unforeseen and lose a finger or something though because I jinxed it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finished. Was shockingly simple and didn't even hurt myself... although I'm covered in brake dust, although since I am sporting a black eye right now that made me look normal LOL

Love the size differentials between F and R.

Also, lil Porch drum brakes :3:

New hotness

Was actually a pity I had to do them. TONS of life in the pads left, basically new, but the previous owner cheaped out and didn't do the rotors which were about 2mm beyond spec

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I spy the autowork kokanee :cheers:. And I found that the textars dust like crazy, my wheels look covered almost instantly after cleaning them. I've got to find a good wax for wheels, been using meguirs spray wax and it doesn't seem to make cleaning any easier.

With that much meat left I don't think there's an issue with reusing the pads, are they the same brand?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Same brand (Textar) but I threw them away. Not going to use old pads on new rotors.

Interesting note, I bought 4 new caliper mounting bolts to replace any that were corroded more than I like (manual says to replace them, but they are only torqued to something like 60 ft/lb so I don't know why) but the new replacements are triple-square instead of 10mm hex of the originals. :iiam:

I just re-used all the old ones.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 30, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How limiting is traction control? I autocrossed my 981 CS for the first time this weekend and definitely felt the difference between having PSM on and off, however I was able to keep the car pointed in the direction I wanted pretty easily. Is that just because the Cayman's a mid-engine car?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 30, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Was actually a pity I had to do them. TONS of life in the pads left, basically new, but the previous owner cheaped out and didn't do the rotors which were about 2mm beyond spec

Hmm at least with my 987 maint spec is rotors every time with brakes. Nice breezing through it

Trip report on the short shifter kit: it's great! I'll just stick to the useful stuff. Throws are advertised -30% but the user experience feels closer to 50%. Still not as short as say, an STI short shifter, which is great. I'll take the longest throw I can get away with any day in a non-track/autox car. All the aftermarket kits advertise even shorter throws — I absolutely wouldnt unless you auto-x or summat

The feel is 1:1 OEM. However, having experience completely refreshed bushings for the first time (car was only new to me, 1PO put 20k on it) they are very stiff. Can't say for the worse but I'd be kinda surprised if I sat in it on a showroom floor and the bushings were this stiff, almost feels like poly. For perspective, I think a 13 year old girl would have actual difficulty getting it into gear with one arm.

Bit over 3h book time, center console must come out etc. I have a god-mechanic that does everything (engine rebuilds, gundo, everything) and charges me zilch (ok half) for labor so it went to him. Took him 1h 20m, but he said it was pretty close to full speed since he'd just done a Boxster last week.

(If anyone in the cesspool that is the CA Bay area is looking for a P-car mechanic, I cannot tout this guy enough. I know every Porsche mechanic for like 100 square miles and this guy is a dream come true.)

In other fun gossip, we were talking exhausts and hementioned the rise in gundo hacks he 's been doing recently, def the new hotness and everything is reaaaaal happy with the results. Just funny cause I first heard it here from I think kiimbo? and apparently it's really taken off

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I just wish there was a gundo like hack for the 987, the factory exhaust just sounds a little muted. There's the Carnewal mod but it's kind of invasive and still considered "proprietary" so there's not much info on it other than rumors it just guts the secondary cats and expands one of the pipes in the muffler.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, this guy will do his own weld/fab and he said no easy solution for the 987. You should see how much the Sport Exhaust costs, sweet Jesus. Aftermarket runs about half. My dream would be to find some used one somewhere but I've yet to even see one pop up sold, much less for sale.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

In other fun gossip, we were talking exhausts and hementioned the rise in gundo hacks he 's been doing recently, def the new hotness and everything is reaaaaal happy with the results.

Just funny cause I first heard it here from I think kiimbo? and apparently it's really taken off

It seemed to be ancient when I started researching it. I vaguely recalled it when I first got the 996, and after some seat time to confirm that it was just as muted as my 986, I really dove into it.
A few of my bolts were rusty (so I did need the $70 bolt and clamp kit for attaching back) and the brackets that hold the mufflers to the body were hell to work around, but it really makes sense for you to DIY getting the mufflers off, taking them to the shop, and having them do the gundo mod on the isolated mufflers.

The car is not so loud that you couldn't gently drive your mufflers to the shop, as long as you buttoned the bumper fascia back on. It doesn't sound as good as with the gundo hack, which is nicely linear with throttle -- a bit louder at idle, nice and loud when you really gas it.

I bet the reason is that 996s have hit that level where only a few dweebs care about originality / all-Porsche parts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

thechalkoutline posted:

Hmm at least with my 987 maint spec is rotors every time with brakes. Nice breezing through it
Yeah, no way those rotors were done with the pads. There was probably a 1-1.5mm ridge around the perimeter of the rotor where the pads wore in. They were Textar pads, so probably OEM and maybe even Porsche (I know PO was not the most mechanically saavy guy) but if he took it to the dealer they would have quoted him $rape$ for doing the rotors so he almost certainly just passed. But they needed to be done. Oh well, simple enough job.

quote:

Trip report on the short shifter kit: it's great! I'll just stick to the useful stuff. Throws are advertised -30% but the user experience feels closer to 50%. Still not as short as say, an STI short shifter, which is great. I'll take the longest throw I can get away with any day in a non-track/autox car. All the aftermarket kits advertise even shorter throws — I absolutely wouldnt unless you auto-x or summat

The feel is 1:1 OEM. However, having experience completely refreshed bushings for the first time (car was only new to me, 1PO put 20k on it) they are very stiff. Can't say for the worse but I'd be kinda surprised if I sat in it on a showroom floor and the bushings were this stiff, almost feels like poly. For perspective, I think a 13 year old girl would have actual difficulty getting it into gear with one arm.

Bit over 3h book time, center console must come out etc. I have a god-mechanic that does everything (engine rebuilds, gundo, everything) and charges me zilch (ok half) for labor so it went to him. Took him 1h 20m, but he said it was pretty close to full speed since he'd just done a Boxster last week.
Which shifter is this?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah, no way those rotors were done with the pads. There was probably a 1-1.5mm ridge around the perimeter of the rotor where the pads wore in. They were Textar pads, so probably OEM and maybe even Porsche (I know PO was not the most mechanically saavy guy) but if he took it to the dealer they would have quoted him $rape$ for doing the rotors so he almost certainly just passed. But they needed to be done. Oh well, simple enough job.

Which shifter is this?

Factory short shifter kit, fits:

Boxster (all versions) 1997-12
Carrera (all versions) 1999-12
Cayman (all versions) 2006-12

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99742498300.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

People believe that B&M is the OEM for it:
https://www.amazon.com/45135-Precision-Sport-Shifter/dp/B000CIIDMM
Given the look of the parts, I went with B&M for the discount.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

People believe that B&M is the OEM for it:
https://www.amazon.com/45135-Precision-Sport-Shifter/dp/B000CIIDMM
Given the look of the parts, I went with B&M for the discount.

I think the B&M is still aftermarket but yeah it sounds like if you're willing to do the work the cost difference is basically re-using the housing and people seem to really like it

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/355374-short-shifter-oem-or-b-and-m.html

quote:

I paid $ 399 for the OEM .The B&M is available for ~ $250.
Check around for the best price.

The main difference between the two is that the OEM is a complete replacement unit .You un-bolt your's and bolt in the new unit ( 4 bolts ),
re-attach the two cables and you're done.

If you buy the B&M , you get the stick and a few parts.
You need to re-use the factory housing.
Your factory shifter is permanently installed , so you will need to BREAK
it out of the housing and then install the B&M bushings, etc.
That's why it's a lot cheaper .
It's OK if you follow the directions and are willing to spend the extra time.
(just keep in mind that if you screw something up, you will have no car to drive until you get replacement parts)
You may even want to buy someone's standard shifter , install the B&M and then swap it out (then sell your's to the next guy ) lol

If you plan to install it yourself, B&M has very good install directions.Take a look and see if it's something you want to takle .
If you go with the OEM (which I decided to do afte seeing what's involved )
you can disregard ~ 90% of the instructions.

There is no "quality" difference that I know of between the two. If there is,it's minimal and not worth mentioning. Both are st.stl. sticks and may even be made by the same company.
In any event, I love the OEM Sport shifter . It should be standard equipment .

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's good to know. Thanks for the info guys. I've never really considered one but if I keep it I might.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> Your factory shifter is permanently installed , so you will need to BREAK it out of the housing

Oh yeah -- forgot about this. I never really sweated that, as the old bushings were loose and definitely part of the feel problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Man these little wheel stud gizmos are the cats rear end. Make throwing the wheel on much easier and faster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Speaking of Gundo hack, doing Fister Exhaust next week, for my 996.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Picked up my car last night after getting all sorts of new rubber and fluids. Took it up to the mountains and the roads were empty. First time driving it hard. Brilliant.

Had The RennShop in Mountain View, CA do the work. Crazy attention to detail. Also appreciated that he cleaned up the engine bay for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That motor looks crazy clean, and I really like that color. Good work! Welcome to club 996!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was out of town for a few days. During that time a bird poo poo some gross as gently caress dark bird poo poo on the rear deck just below the glass. It etched the clear coat in a spot about the size of two quarters. My attempt to clean it left a ton of scratches.

Wtf is wrong with Porsche’s black paint? My black BMW sits right next to it and has been through way worse and nothing like this has happened.

Jesus Christ my loving luck with this car is terrible.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Did the bottom just fall out of the air cooled market? There’s like 8 on the Bay Area Craigslist for below 30k, and a nice 993 driver didn’t even break 40k on bat.

And if that’s the case, why the hell am I looking at hatchbacks to replace my hatchback when both folding trailers and the willwood system exist?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
If the USA market turns out anything like he UK market, buy as many air cooled as you can, and wait 5 years, you'll double your money.

I met a guy struggling to sell his 993 12 years or so ago, for what I remember was not a lot, £25kish. It would be worth £60k now.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

krysmopompas posted:

Did the bottom just fall out of the air cooled market? There’s like 8 on the Bay Area Craigslist for below 30k, and a nice 993 driver didn’t even break 40k on bat.

And if that’s the case, why the hell am I looking at hatchbacks to replace my hatchback when both folding trailers and the willwood system exist?

YTOOL 2018 where a 30-40k air cooled P-car is a fuckin steal of a deal, imagine how much pony car that would get you

I'm always looking though... good to know, if they ever dipped to 25k I'd probably be absolutely in tbh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What do we think something like this might actually close a deal for?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-gt4-911-993-fiberglass-body/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love it. Real mean sounding under acceleration but zero droning on the freeway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willie_dee posted:

If the USA market turns out anything like he UK market, buy as many air cooled as you can, and wait 5 years, you'll double your money.

I met a guy struggling to sell his 993 12 years or so ago, for what I remember was not a lot, £25kish. It would be worth £60k now.

Yeah that was the US a few years back too. I think he's asking whether the craze is over.

Nice 996 btw.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that was the US a few years back too. I think he's asking whether the craze is over.

Nice 996 btw.

Yeah here 30k is still a good deal relative to the market value of air-cooled P-cars. That doesn't, however, preclude it being comically overvalued.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dema posted:

Love it. Real mean sounding under acceleration but zero droning on the freeway.

Where does that H pipe plumb into? Must be a little louder than the gundo hack, assuming people use 1.5" tubing at the biggest.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m having some issues with the paint on my new Cayman.

Where I park during the day has a maple tree near by and those little helicopter seed pods fall into the car. It then rains, so they get wet on the car, then it dries and they blow away, but it leaves behind a mess on the paint that I can’t clean off with usual means (soap and microfiber towel).

I’m having a detailer take a look at it tomorrow, but if this is typical for Porsche paint I don’t know if I can keep this car. The paint literally looks destroyed already. It looks like this everywhere:

It doesn’t just leave spots in the shape of the leafs, it leaves a trail where whatever is in the lead dissolves into the water.

Does this look like a defect with the clear coat? Or do I just need a good coat of wax? Will this require polishing into the clear coat to fix?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wow, that's terrible. My 996 which is also schwarz is nothing like that. See what that detailer says. Is it possible it was in an accident and resprayed?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
That's pretty crazy - if the detailer can't get it off with a claybar, that's some weirdly sensitive paint. If he can get it off, have him do a coat of something like Ammo Skin, should easily protect against that stuff, or honestly just clearbra or ceramic coat the whole car.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The car rolled off the assembly line less than 6 months ago. If it’s been resprayed I’ll have some tough questions for the dealer that sold it to me new.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Does this look like a defect with the clear coat? Or do I just need a good coat of wax? Will this require polishing into the clear coat to fix?

Have you waxed this thing yet? If not, that would explain it.

It should come off with a claybar.

Edit: I see from the detailing thread that you used dish soap on this panel. That's obviously why it's doing this. Don't do that, wax/get your car waxed properly.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 10, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

If you have to get it detailed it would be a perfect time to get a ceramic coat on it.

You'd need some amount of paint correction (dealer wash on new cars already fucks it up) in any scenario before you ceramic and brand new car is the time to do it, so you're not out value. I wouldn't hesitate to if I bought a brand new non-econo box.

If you keep it outside you'll need to wash it regularly and ceramic makes that a breeze too, and it's the upkeep tradeoff anyhow (easy washes but frequent-ish).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That’s the plan. It’s getting stage 2 all over with stage 3 in a few spots today. Will get the ceramic coating in a week or two. It’s going into the garage today.

Edit:

After several attempts with buffing and polishing by a professional:

I’m going to go to the dealership. This isn’t normal.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Porsche paint is supernaturally hard imo, as long as you don’t leave a big bird poo poo on your hood nothing should hurt your paint.