Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Araenna posted:

I'm pretty sure I uninstalled my QR code scanner months ago. I mean, I could unlock my phone, open my QR app, awkwardly aim my phone at a sign until it focuses while looking like an idiot, and then wait for Chrome to start up and load the website. Or, I could unlock my phone, open Chrome, google whatever the ad is for, and click on one of probably the first three results, all without having to actually come to a stop most of the time, just slowing down. I never come across them otherwise, outside of tickets like you said.

Apple just integrated a QR code scanner into the camera.app. :shrug:

Seems to work alright for the 1 time I need to scan a QR code a year. They still look pretty cyberpunk to me, though, so I'm okay with them. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
In the far future of 2040 we will all be branded with QR codes in rich people's labor camps

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The subtlety of the trademark legalese is what does it for me

like, haha look at this irreverent little bit of fun kistch

-fun kistch is a trademark of fun kistch industries

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Some police departments do this poo poo with 'bait bikes.' They also make sure the bicycle is valuable enough to bump the charge from petty theft to grand larceny. It's a hosed up practice. You aren't stopping crime if you are the ones creating it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's almost as if there isn't an incentive to actually reduce crime :thunk:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Laterite posted:

https://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=CXW&source=story_quote_link

Lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Laterite posted:

Kinda like police and prison guard unions lobby to keep marijuana illegal and get more things made illegal.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I can't get mad about some dude stealing a bike getting caught whether it was planted or not. gently caress bike thieves

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

Kinda like police and prison guard unions lobby to keep marijuana illegal and get more things made illegal.

That and the private prison industry and those making money off of the commissary.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's hard to ever say what will actually happen in a real situation - it's like playing poker for fake money vs real money. You do different things if there is stakes/emotions involved even when you think you're playing the same way.

If I was the president participating in those exercises it might be fun to see just how much damage the USA could take.

There's people that genuinely believe in an afterlife and in Armageddon and all that too so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with them having their finger on the button either. There's no doubt in my mind that some True Believer would push it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

Some police departments do this poo poo with 'bait bikes.' They also make sure the bicycle is valuable enough to bump the charge from petty theft to grand larceny. It's a hosed up practice. You aren't stopping crime if you are the ones creating it.

My university did this, but in a way that actually stopped bike theft. They completely flooded the school with bait bikes and let everyone know they had trackers on them. There were spots you didn't even need to lock your bike up, you could just park it in the big pile of unlocked bait bikes in front of a building.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna go to some yuppie town center and leave a bunch of C-notes in an open briefcase sitting on a bench outside Whole Foods and arrest anyone who approaches.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

g0lbez posted:

I can't get mad about some dude stealing a bike getting caught whether it was planted or not. gently caress bike thieves

gently caress cops

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

Yeah, if this was a sting operation for a known/suspected repeat bike thief then fine, but if this was just entrapment bullshit preying on the desperate then gently caress that.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, if this was a sting operation for a known/suspected repeat bike thief then fine, but if this was just entrapment bullshit preying on the desperate then gently caress that.

Who's to say the bike owner isn't desperate as well? I can't afford a car like 99% of the population so I'm stuck with a bike and idgaf if you're "desperate" don't steal someone else's poo poo. gently caress sting operations in general but I still cannot get mad about stings specifically centered around thievery and stealing other people's money (if they are not rich anyway)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bikes aren't a necessity for life like food and arguably shelter. Bike thieves can go gently caress themselves hth.

Like, by all means, cops are bad but the standard approach to dealing with known thieves before organized law enforcement ranged between beating the poo poo out of them, mutilating them and outright murder.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Actually I take back what I said about sting operations and I think they are mostly good as opposed to mostly bad. Drug/prostitution stings are obviously bullshit but then you have the aforementioned bike thief sting, pedophile ring stings, human trafficking stings etc

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The continued existence of QR codes at all outside of ticket-taking is a weird capitalism quirk. I think I maybe scanned one in my lifetime, to test out the QR code app that I downloaded. I've certainly never seen anyone else scanning them.

But some class of marketing person somewhere added "QR codes" to their toolkit a decade ago, and they're still peddling the same bullshits about them to upper management, who have no idea how the rabble lives so you can lie to them at will about how to market to the rabble.

We just had to get new barcode scanners at work, and the vendor kept trying to push us to get QR readers. Even after we explained like four times that we don't control the barcode design and have to scan what suppliers send us, he kept trying to tell us to buy QR stuff

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

Who's to say the bike owner isn't desperate as well? I can't afford a car like 99% of the population so I'm stuck with a bike and idgaf if you're "desperate" don't steal someone else's poo poo. gently caress sting operations in general but I still cannot get mad about stings specifically centered around thievery and stealing other people's money (if they are not rich anyway)

They were apparently leaving $1000+ bikes lying around unattended and unlocked in poor neighborhoods

That's rich people poo poo

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

The Bloop posted:

They were apparently leaving $1000+ bikes lying around unattended and unlocked in poor neighborhoods

Well that's bullshit then. I was assuming it was a reasonable operation with normal bikes in a normal neighborhood with the intent of actually reducing crime but gently caress me for assuming that

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

The Bloop posted:

yeah, you could say they're asking for it

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Devonaut posted:

I hope you're not making the analogy I think you are because lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Devonaut posted:

Well, rich people are always asking for it but in this case it's the cops who were being fuckheads by intentionally trying to create grand larceny where only random petty opportunity crimes existed just to put a minority in prison

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

They have to do a lot of decoy cars at the local universities in the city due to huge amounts of break-ins and car thefts. If you're stealing from university students, you deserve immediate execution.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

The Bloop posted:

hold on lemme set up this sting and pay cops to sit around waiting for somebody to steal this *checks notes* broken down 1991 chevy cavalier

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Or again maybe just use reasonably priced property in an attempt to catch existing thieves not create brand new ones

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

hold on lemme set up this sting and pay cops to sit around waiting for somebody to steal this *checks notes* broken down 1991 chevy cavalier

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yes, my post 2 posts down from that one
Okay, that's bizarre. I could have sworn I read the rest of the page before going back and asking that.

Makes more sense reading the link, though. I had understood you to be saying that people at the launch facilities didn't do it, not that a person given the core decision didn't.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Aug 8, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fashionable Jorts posted:

They have to do a lot of decoy cars at the local universities in the city due to huge amounts of break-ins and car thefts. If you're stealing from university students, you deserve immediate execution.

Typical students yes. Cars belonging to Chad, the captain of the Zeta Alpha Betas who's daddy will make sure you pay for this!... Not so much.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Surely cops have better things to do than ensnaring petty thieves, like driving their cruisers into a lake, or ritual suicide down in the precinct showers

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

g0lbez posted:

Or again maybe just use reasonably priced property in an attempt to catch existing thieves not create brand new ones

also they left the shoes in impoverished south chicago near kids right before school starts and kids needs new shoes, please allah grace us with more chris dorners

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Outrail posted:

Typical students yes. Cars belonging to Chad, the captain of the Zeta Alpha Betas who's daddy will make sure you pay for this!... Not so much.

that will just make new thieves though, it won't catch the existing ones, it's a gateway theft

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1027230013580431360?s=19

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

gently caress

bike theft is a special kind of loving theft because if you're going to take my loving adult bike you're probably big enough to ride it and old enough to know you're making me walk the gently caress home from there

leaving shoes near poor kids is insanely cruel and heartless because I'd argue shoes are an essential good. if i was a poor kid who was from a family couldn't afford decent shoes that fit you better loving believe i'd steal the first loving unattended boxed pair I saw, Nikes or otherwise. and gently caress anyone who says they should have just tried to steal less expensive shoes

ok back to my job of slashing up designer clothes we're throwing out so the homeless don't wear them

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

drjuggalo posted:

also they left the shoes in impoverished south chicago near kids right before school starts and kids needs new shoes, please allah grace us with more chris dorners

well were the shoes expensive or not

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

I hate this lmao

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Wait that leaving shoes thing next to poor kids was a joke right

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

g0lbez posted: