Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Heartcatch posted:

I'd be quite interested in spectating a tournament of sub-50% players for entertainment purposes

I can't find it, but I once saw a WoT video where the last 2 players were so terrible, they met up and were just dancing around bouncing rounds off of each other for 5+ mins. Anyone know what I mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

There is a problem here. There a people like me with pretty potato stats because we have no compunction about making GBS threads things up on purpose when someone on our team does something that pisses us off. Or we never ever division.

Not to say I am a unicom player in disguise (I am not), but I am better than my stats... because the internet makes me behave in childish ways sometimes.

So with a skill based stats based system, I would literally be forever (or nearly given my total battles) stuck in all potato matches, or forced to re-roll and re-grind.

And for the record I realize I am an outlier, so really people like me are unimportant; however, I am sort of forced to be opposed to such a stats based system because I don’t want to fight all lovely players forever.

i've divisioned maybe a total of four games since i started playing, which was only in like may or something, and i still manage to win more than i lose. people just need to stop being loving dog poo poo.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

suiciding moron destroyers is a way bigger problem than battleships trying to snipe

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

the loving game tells you exactly how far you can be spotted at it isn't like wot's bullshit

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Solo DD players also don't know how paranoid some people can get about them and how incredibly obvious DD's can be in their sneakyness.

Even to the tune of 'huh, there's a smokescreen appearing in the cap circle and i haven't seen anything. i wonder if there's a DD in there. oh i'm spotted, there's probably going to be torpedoes.'

Some people are just clueless though. Like those who don't know what radio location does.

Or what Radar is.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

toadee posted:

Skill based MM wouldn't make all potato matches, it would just mean in a pool of 10 good players, 10 average players, and 4 poo poo players, they would be distrubted evenly across the two teams instead of all good players on one and all average on the other

Currently MM can't even necessarily split radar ships well, and you think WG could suddenly competently program it to split players of different skill levels evenly? The only way it would work, as implemented by WG, is to actually split up various skill levels into completely different waiting pools.

ZombieLenin posted:

There is a problem here. There a people like me with pretty potato stats because we have no compunction about making GBS threads things up on purpose when someone on our team does something that pisses us off. Or we never ever division.

Not to say I am a unicom player in disguise (I am not), but I am better than my stats... because the internet makes me behave in childish ways sometimes.

So with a skill based stats based system, I would literally be forever (or nearly given my total battles) stuck in all potato matches, or forced to re-roll and re-grind.

And for the record I realize I am an outlier, so really people like me are unimportant; however, I am sort of forced to be opposed to such a stats based system because I don’t want to fight all lovely players forever.

DonkeyHotay posted:

i've divisioned maybe a total of four games since i started playing, which was only in like may or something, and i still manage to win more than i lose. people just need to stop being loving dog poo poo.

This. I too have barely divisioned at all since game launch, and still maintain excellent stats - not unicum level, but not too far off. And I don't really main any particular ship, class or even nation for that matter, so it's not an issue of just super familiarizing myself with one particular playstyle. Hell, if anything playing everything at least moderately improves my overall gameplay, since it gives me a better idea of what each is capable of in comparison to the others - and thus how to counterplay it.

And sorry, but if you're the kind of player who deliberately shits up your team once you get upset enough that it actually blatantly reflects in your stats, then getting excluded from a higher skill level is pretty reasonable.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I can't find it, but I once saw a WoT video where the last 2 players were so terrible, they met up and were just dancing around bouncing rounds off of each other for 5+ mins. Anyone know what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8OqQjca9k

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

EponymousMrYar posted:

Some people are just clueless though. Like those who don't know what radio location does.

Or what Radar is.

To be fair though, the game doesn't explain the different tools to you at all. Until you get curious enough to look, why would you know?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Lord Koth posted:

Currently MM can't even necessarily split radar ships well, and you think WG could suddenly competently program it to split players of different skill levels evenly? The only way it would work, as implemented by WG, is to actually split up various skill levels into completely different waiting pools.

This. I too have barely divisioned at all since game launch, and still maintain excellent stats - not unicum level, but not too far off. And I don't really main any particular ship, class or even nation for that matter, so it's not an issue of just super familiarizing myself with one particular playstyle. Hell, if anything playing everything at least moderately improves my overall gameplay, since it gives me a better idea of what each is capable of in comparison to the others - and thus how to counterplay it.

And sorry, but if you're the kind of player who deliberately shits up your team once you get upset enough that it actually blatantly reflects in your stats, then getting excluded from a higher skill level is pretty reasonable.

You're confusing can't with won't. Of course they could split radar ships up. They just won't because they are stubborn. Same with skill based MM. Someone who makes decisions there decided these things a while ago, and now they won't go back on them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

toadee posted:

You're confusing can't with won't. Of course they could split radar ships up. They just won't because they are stubborn. Same with skill based MM. Someone who makes decisions there decided these things a while ago, and now they won't go back on them.

Well, it's more that I don't trust them enough to try and implement something as major as skill-based MM until they prove they can do it with something far less impactful. Splitting radar ships evenly doesn't really fall under the "the playerbase is too dumb to understand" comment (like several other things were emphasized to - spotting in general, for example), so them fixing that issue is at the very least laziness, if not cluelessness on how to effectively do so.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hey! I remember this one.. as I recall Agrajag also ragequit WoT shortly after this and now posts a lot in CSPAM.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heartcatch posted:

Hey! I remember this one.. as I recall Agrajag also ragequit WoT shortly after this and now posts a lot in CSPAM.

Different Agrajag, our EU Agrajag is Soulfucker on SA.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

rotaryfun posted:

To be fair though, the game doesn't explain the different tools to you at all. Until you get curious enough to look, why would you know?
Radar's excusable under this since the only way to see what it does is to look it up externally or have a ship that can use radar.

But not knowing what Radio Location does is tantamount to not looking at captain skills which is something that the game does point you in the direction of. I was confused when that icon popped up the first time but it clicked pretty quickly since I had read all of the captain skill blurbs.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gervasius posted:

Different Agrajag, our EU Agrajag is Soulfucker on SA.

Too many Agrajags. There's an NA one with the Agrajag name on SA.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Heartcatch posted:

Too many Agrajags. There's an NA one with the Agrajag name on SA.

How do you classify NTRabbit?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've never played with NTRabbit, so I can't comment.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Gods, do I love this ship. This wasn't even an exceptionally good game in Massachusetts, it was just pure unrelenting FUN.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cobbsprite posted:

Gods, do I love this ship. This wasn't even an exceptionally good game in Massachusetts, it was just pure unrelenting FUN.

Literally 1-in-10 games total you've played are in Massachusetts, you're not particularly great in it, and it's a ship infamous for farming incredible amounts of damage while contributing virtually nothing to actually winning the game. It's a ship(and line, for that matter) despised on the same level as CVs, and a hell of a lot more common than them at high tiers so it shits up far more games.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally 1-in-10 games total you've played are in Massachusetts, you're not particularly great in it, and it's a ship infamous for farming incredible amounts of damage while contributing virtually nothing to actually winning the game. It's a ship(and line, for that matter) despised on the same level as CVs, and a hell of a lot more common than them at high tiers so it shits up far more games.

Well aren't you salty. And also wrong.

Don't care, still fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

Well aren't you salty. And also wrong.

Don't care, still fun.

it's a fakepost. people should have fun in games. that they play for fun.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is the St. Louis a lot better than the Friant or is it just that I suck? Every time I run into one of them they light me on fire continuously and just do a shitload more damage to me than I can seem to do to them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The St. Louis is just a very strong T3.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

it's a fakepost. people should have fun in games. that they play for fun.

but what if they're a CV?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

but what if they're a CV?

They’re not people.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

They’re not people.

New idea for torpedo, homing torpedo that only locks on to carriers
should be fair

Anyways, I forgot to upload this a couple of days ago, but I had a pretty good last game in my Ibuki:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The Locator posted:

Is the St. Louis a lot better than the Friant or is it just that I suck? Every time I run into one of them they light me on fire continuously and just do a shitload more damage to me than I can seem to do to them.

The St. Lou is just real strong. It doesn't go anywhere super fast but it's built like a battleship and has approximately infinite guns. You don't want to engage one in a prolonged gunfight, ever. Focus on ambushing it with torps.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Loky11 posted:

when is the expected CV rework?

2017. :suicide:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Redeye Flight posted:

The St. Lou is just real strong. It doesn't go anywhere super fast but it's built like a battleship and has approximately infinite guns. You don't want to engage one in a prolonged gunfight, ever. Focus on ambushing it with torps.

Thanks, although getting close enough with my awesome 6km range torpedos is a fair challenge!

Finally had a game that I would call sort of decent in my T3 French BB, managed to dish out 55k damage, scored a kill (preventing a cap in the process) and managed to finish 3rd on the team, behind only the two T4 BB's that carried the team. We won by points as the timer ran out, 1 enemy BB left, and something silly like 750 to 760, but we were slowly gaining ground thanks to having 2 caps vs. their 1. Thought I had lost the game for the team when I screwed up and got killed near the end.

The short range compared to all the T4 ships I seem to end up fighting makes this thing tough, and even angling my armor as much as I can (or even bow on) I seem to take huge hits from the other BB's (when I'm not just getting lit on fire).

Is there a method to using the BB heals, or just hit it whenever it's up and my health is below 70% or so?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The Locator posted:

The St. Louis is pretty foolproof thanks to having a shitload of armor, health, and fast firing guns. You can beat them by exploiting the advantages of your tier 3 cruiser (assuming it's a Friant or Bogatyr) but a pubbie in a St. Louis is much more dangerous than a pubbie in another tier 3 cruiser.

The Locator posted:

Is there a method to using the BB heals, or just hit it whenever it's up and my health is below 70% or so?

There's a white indicator that shows how much you can heal, so you can wait and use heal when it gives you a meaningful amount of health (often this involves getting set on fire and letting it burn).

It's usually better to use your consumables more often than to wait for the perfect time to use them; try to run out of consumables before you die.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I wish the ui for heals was better. You just have to guess/know when you have the correct ammount of healable damage. The ui should just make it clear

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Like the Elder Scrolls games, Wargaming products are unplayable without mods. However, WoWS has actually made strides in implementing some of the mods into the game directly.

There is a mod that will show you how much you will heal in Aslain's pack somewhere.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd say WoWS is perfectly playable unmodded these days. Implementing features from mods is one of the rare things WG does a really good job of.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bloom posted:

I'd say WoWS is perfectly playable unmodded these days. Implementing features from mods is one of the rare things WG does a really good job of.

If you're playing below high settings you still need the direction mod, it's very difficult to tell what direction a target is going in your scope at longer ranges on medium graphics settings, and basically impossible on one of the sunny maps that turns the ocean into flat featureless glass.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Glare reduction and sunglasses mods are highly recommended by me.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Locator posted:

As others have said there should be a greyed out part of your ship that'll show you how much damage you'll heal back.

BB's heal 100% fire/flooding damage, 50% pen and 10% citadel damage.

As such a good rule of thumb is to not bother repairing a single fire. Save it for 2+/flooding.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
some pubbie challenged me to 1v1, refused to pick a boat, and then called me a coward for it :confused:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Just watched a friendly Udaloi sail into a cap, pop a smoke(presumably after getting spotted) and sit there broadside towards the enemy until getting hit with Kagero torps 10s later. He then proceeds to call the Kagero a lucker and our team noobs for not supporting him.

Sometimes I wish I could understand the pubbie thought process but I don't think I would survive that level of brain damage.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Sometimes I try asking people what their plan is, like a full hp BB sailing east past the eastmost cap which is capped and all the enemy are spotted on the west flank and they have two bases so we are losing on points. They very rarely answer, and most replies are insults.

Heartcatch posted:

Like the Elder Scrolls games, Wargaming products are unplayable without mods. However, WoWS has actually made strides in implementing some of the mods into the game directly.

There is a mod that will show you how much you will heal in Aslain's pack somewhere.

Oh, useful! I'll have a look.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
The St. Louis is just a very strong T4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

horrific in its beauty.

tears streamed into my beard.