Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Why does forming the Abyssinian Empire require being King of Egypt despite Egypt not being in the de jure Abyssinian borders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I recall correctly, on later start dates, the Solomonids hold most of Abyssinia and Nubia, so it would be easy to form the empire if there wasn't the Egypt requirement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Two quick republic questions:
1) I did a 769 start date and am currently capped at only one trade post despite having two male unlanded heirs. I assume this is due to only having one level of Trade Practices? How high of a priority is is to steal tech from Constantinople to get those sweet economic research points vs spying on my home province to try and get an excuse to revoke the city titles I don't own?
2) When I do get more trade posts, I've been told more in the same zone is better. By the same "zone" that means a segment of ocean, right? So if I'm Venice, I want to own as many trade posts in that little inlet as possible vs expanding down the coast?

1 - yes. You need more tech to get more posts. Your mansion also has upgrades for more. Your spymaster should stay home. A high stewardship score will get you many points and you should always have a high stewardship score in a republic.

2 - you want to have as big of a zone as possible. Each chunk of ocean is not necessarily a separate zone. You want to have the most posts in a chunk to control it for trade as that gives you the biggest bonus. If you have control of multiple continuous chunks it makes one big zone. The number of chunks actually doesn't matter so dogpile your chunk around Venice first then spread from there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It makes decisive victories in wartime a gigantic pain in the rear end. Before it was a balance problem, afterwards it was a tedium problem.

Let's not pretend chasing an army back and forth between two counties killing 4 guys at a time before they break again isn't tedious.

With the broken retreat I often can finish sieging down a county or two before the army comes back.

I just wish there was a happy medium/max break distance, because what is frustrating is things like viking raiders that broken retreat about 3 continents away with complete immunity.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Azhais posted:

Let's not pretend chasing an army back and forth between two counties killing 4 guys at a time before they break again isn't tedious.

With the broken retreat I often can finish sieging down a county or two before the army comes back.

I just wish there was a happy medium/max break distance, because what is frustrating is things like viking raiders that broken retreat about 3 continents away with complete immunity.

I think it would be a better solution if a shattered retreat caused a decent fraction of the routed troops to melt into the countryside and desert like Napoleon's forces retreating from Russia. This would make it a little less tedious at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ToxicSlurpee posted:

1 - yes. You need more tech to get more posts. Your mansion also has upgrades for more. Your spymaster should stay home. A high stewardship score will get you many points and you should always have a high stewardship score in a republic.

2 - you want to have as big of a zone as possible. Each chunk of ocean is not necessarily a separate zone. You want to have the most posts in a chunk to control it for trade as that gives you the biggest bonus. If you have control of multiple continuous chunks it makes one big zone. The number of chunks actually doesn't matter so dogpile your chunk around Venice first then spread from there.

binge crotching posted:

Keep your spymaster parked in Constantinople until you are the tech leader. It shouldn't take more than about 100 years. You probably want to keep your Chancellor there to make them like you, since you'll be losing a fair number of spymasters over the years.

And yes, basically. Trade zones are weird as hell, and sometimes will cross over landmasses to the ocean on the other side. In general though, just assume that they need to be touching.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, make sure you own the trade post in Venice itself. If some other family owns it, make sure to eliminate their bloodline so you have a chance to inherit. If some other family does, rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the info, I'll switch gears and focus on getting trade practices up ASAP.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Two quick republic questions:
1) I did a 769 start date and am currently capped at only one trade post despite having two male unlanded heirs. I assume this is due to only having one level of Trade Practices? How high of a priority is is to steal tech from Constantinople to get those sweet economic research points vs spying on my home province to try and get an excuse to revoke the city titles I don't own?
2) When I do get more trade posts, I've been told more in the same zone is better. By the same "zone" that means a segment of ocean, right? So if I'm Venice, I want to own as many trade posts in that little inlet as possible vs expanding down the coast?

1) this is going to be a very slow start, try a 1066 venice first before you die of boredom

2) you want to hold a majority of the posts to maintain your grip on the sea zone. you dont need to hold as many as possible, you just need (N/2)+1. sea zones can be adjacent, but a trade post itself in a province counts as adjacent when determining how large your overall trade zone is, and land based trade posts also count as adjacent because of the silk road mechanic. so two provinces on either side of a peninsula with trade posts can spread your aquatic trade zone. and as stated above the number of map chunks you have in your zone doesn't matter, it's just how many trade posts you have in one collective big zone. so if you have ten trade posts in two map chunks or four map chunks you get the same amount of benefit. you're always better off trying to expand your zone than setting up a new, disconnected zone (unless you are planning to connect them)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I didn't get conclave because everyone said "conclave is good b/c it makes the game harder" and I'm a noob who's bad at game so making it Hard is the last thing I need
is it me, am I the Wrongplayer :(

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Armacham posted:

I think it would be a better solution if a shattered retreat caused a decent fraction of the routed troops to melt into the countryside and desert like Napoleon's forces retreating from Russia. This would make it a little less tedious at least.

I'd like this change. Now instead they replenish their troops while retreating. It makes winning a hard war against a superior enemy almost impossible, because even if you win a few big battles thanks to terrain/good commanders/luck they will promptly get their big army back and and keep hitting you until your luck runs out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

luxury handset posted:

1) this is going to be a very slow start, try a 1066 venice first before you die of boredom

I'm doing a 769 tribal Denmark -> Merchant Republic start and you can't stop me or Hel

At least til the game forces me to become Christian because you can't apparently be a Germanic pagan merchant republic. Then I guess I'll have to open my heart and put my faith in Satan.

e: hmm, apparently there is a Germanic reformation option, and I already control two of the holy sites. Perhaps I shall just make this take longer than it already is so me and Hel can continue to be bros

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zyxyz posted:

I didn't get conclave because everyone said "conclave is good b/c it makes the game harder" and I'm a noob who's bad at game so making it Hard is the last thing I need

Again, I'm not convinced this is actually true unless you're, like, the size of the re-united Roman Empire.

Azhais posted:

Oh, that must suck. For people who don't have horse archers. :smugdog:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Azhais posted:

I'm doing a 769 tribal Denmark -> Merchant Republic start and you can't stop me or Hel

Norse republic - they come on ships and take your gold but don't actually bring any goods

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zyxyz posted:

Harder, kinda. If you are small you can shove your council full of yes men who cares about some single count or baron. When you get big it gives you options for poo poo heads. It also gives you more reasons to say "gently caress this dude and his whole dynasty" which makes things more fun.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 8, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Harder, yes. But it also gives you more reasons to say "gently caress this dude and his whole dynasty" which makes things more fun.

If exterminating everyone that has a claim on the Kingdom of Bavaria is wrong, I don't want to be right

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

They're gonna fuck it up again.

Pyromancer posted:

Norse republic - they come on ships and take your gold but don't actually bring any goods

This was also how Portugal and Novgorod functioned as "trading" empires.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

At least til the game forces me to become Christian because you can't apparently be a Germanic pagan merchant republic. Then I guess I'll have to open my heart and put my faith in Satan.

e: hmm, apparently there is a Germanic reformation option, and I already control two of the holy sites. Perhaps I shall just make this take longer than it already is so me and Hel can continue to be bros

Yup. You just have to be reformed then you can keep being a mad bloodthirsty Viking while also liking fancy hats. You need either all 5 sites or 3, 50% moral authority, and 750 piety.

You get authority and piety for pillaging other religion's churches so I think you know what the correct answer is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zyxyz posted:

it doesn't make the game harder, it just introduces different sets of challenges. it makes you focus on running your kingdom instead of warfare and expansion

the only reason it would make the game harder is if your goal is to conquer the world for the hundredth time

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. You just have to be reformed then you can keep being a mad bloodthirsty Viking while also liking fancy hats. You need either all 5 sites or 3, 50% moral authority, and 750 piety.

You get authority and piety for pillaging other religion's churches so I think you know what the correct answer is.

Do you know offhand if I need to personally hold the sites, or is realm OK?

Looking at it I've got 500 piety, 45% moral authority, and the third holy site I need is the solitary independent county left on the coast. Quick vassalization and kicking around a couple of Slavs and I'm golden

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Azhais posted:

Just need to be in your realm.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Technowolf posted:

Just need to be in your realm.

Yup. Doesn't have to be a direct vassal or your dynasty or anything of that sort. You just have to have it somewhere in your territory.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think holy wars have changes since I last played...do you not get all the holdings anymore? I keep having churches and cities still loyal to the old liege...which is annoying. I'm a Han Shiite.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think holy wars have changes since I last played...do you not get all the holdings anymore? I keep having churches and cities still loyal to the old liege...which is annoying. I'm a Han Shiite.

Holy wars for Muslims only vassalize titles in the area instead of usurping everything.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Various Meat Products posted:

Holy wars for Muslims only vassalize titles in the area instead of usurping everything.

Huh! I hadn't noticed this before. Why did they decide to do that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Various Meat Products posted:

I actually did get all the holdings but only after I’d unpaused.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Looking at it I've got 500 piety, 45% moral authority, and the third holy site I need is the solitary independent county left on the coast. Quick vassalization and kicking around a couple of Slavs and I'm golden

Realm is OK; so long as the land is under your control, that counts. You also don't actually need to reform your religion, I think. I saw this trick for some dude trying to start a Norse Zunist MR in Iceland; the old ruler converted to Catholicism, took the decision to found a republic, and then died, leaving everything to his still-Zunist son, who was perfectly eligible to inherit a republic even if he couldn't found one.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If you are a tribal viking king and conquer Feudal lands you can have vassal republics if you make a mayor a duke if Venice and Genoa are not enough for the world. i typically make part of Pomerania into my vassal cash box for Baltic sea trade in the old gods start. You could make one of your sons into the mayor first, then have it in your family, but unless you control it directly, things go south and fall out of your dynasty fast. A good second republic to have a vassal is part of England.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As France I put a Lombard in a city holding and pressed his claim, so now the whole of Italy is a Serene Republic.

My Viking Republic plans are somewhat thwarted. Germanic lets me have concubines and while merchant republic doesn't say it forbids them, there's no valid targets for take concubine :argh:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

It's not just that it makes it harder, it makes it harder in a realistic way.

As for me, my recent 1066 start as Navarra is going quite well.

That is Anglo-Saxon England by the way. Harold beat the Nowegians and the Normans. They then went on to win the Crusade for Jerusalem around 1105-1110ish.

A muslim khanate conquered most of Hungary around that time and since then has been almost completely partioned between them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
One thing I've always wondered with republics, can you change your capital? I might actually get off my butt and play one if I can conquer Rome, move my capital there and declare the 2nd Roman Republic.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Charlz Guybon posted:

One thing I've always wondered with republics, can you change your capital? I might actually get off my butt and play one if I can conquer Rome, move my capital there and declare the 2nd Roman Republic.

You could possibly if the Byzantines decisions can fire for republics

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Azhais posted:

My Viking Republic plans are somewhat thwarted. Germanic lets me have concubines and while merchant republic doesn't say it forbids them, there's no valid targets for take concubine :argh:

I'm pretty sure you should be able to. Try inviting some women to your court and making them concubines from there.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You can change it to the default capitol of your primary title.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Azhais posted:

As France I put a Lombard in a city holding and pressed his claim, so now the whole of Italy is a Serene Republic.

Looking it up, the wiki says pagan patricians should be able to get concubines, so I'm not sure what's up there. Try doing it from the woman's diplo page directly, as it should at least give a reason for not letting you.

While looking it up, I did find this:

quote:

Muslim patricians cannot hold mosques in their demesne without penalties. As a trade-off, Muslim patricians are unaffected by decadence, and still retain polygamy. This can make Muslim merchant republics produce more trade posts due to increased numbers of adult males. Muslim trade posts in non-Muslim provinces will also get a + 25% income bonus due to Jizya tax.

That's some powerful poo poo. What's the best way to become a Muslim merchant republic? Preferably somewhere where you can take over those coastal silk road posts on the Indian Ocean.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The wiki mentions this guy:

quote:

Aarif Dofharid, Chief of Dhofar, 867 You start as an independent tribal chief on the shore of the Indian Ocean, and your neighbors, the tribe of Mahra, are ripe for conquest. That’s enough to form Hadrawmut and put you on a path to become the only merchant republic south of the Sinai, but beware: you’ll have to contend with the Abbasids, the Abyssinians, and potentially even the Pratiharans.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Personally, I like trying to play Nefoud in 867 and try to conquer my way to the coast and make it my capital, and become a republic, but I haven't made it work yet. It's also an interesting opportunity to become Shia caliph.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nefoud is tricky as hell, it's basically a race to get to 500 prestige for the troops and then hoping you can steal your vassals lands quickly enough that when you get chain attacked by the others you survive.

Getting good bethrothals quickly is important too.

It's tricky, but then you can either have Mecca or Aden as your capital duchy and laugh your way to monied victory

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I'm learning neat things about the game. This is my first REAL start that I've stuck with. I've gone from sorta haphazardly clicking poo poo to guiding my small kingdom. I'm playing the small Welsh island in the earliest start date and became a Satanist. Now I'm sowing dissent and fabricating claims in a nearby county, and using my dark powers of satan to capture and sacrifice their leaders. I know I'm not going anywhere with this playthrough but it's fun to have a Satanist king who everyone is beginning to despise because I'm being caught sacrificing virgins and banging whores.

I'm basically the Frank Reynolds of CKII

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 9, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

You can kidnap women in raids sometimes. In a pinch you can also go to the intrigue screen and present debutantes then immediately concubine them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goon Danton posted:

Looking it up, the wiki says pagan patricians should be able to get concubines, so I'm not sure what's up there. Try doing it from the woman's diplo page directly, as it should at least give a reason for not letting you.

I figured it out, I was in hiding. It doesn't even show the take concubine option on the women when you do that, much less tell you that's why it's not an option.

It'd be nice if the personal "take concubine" option would be greyed out in that case with "You can't take concubines if in hiding"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So sorry, but I have another republic question. Do the trade posts of other families in my republic count towards expanding trade zones? For example if there are three zones in a straight line, a-b-c, and I own the majority of posts in a and c but other families own all the posts in b, is it still one contiguous zone for the purposes of maximum money making?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sydin posted:

So sorry, but I have another republic question. Do the trade posts of other families in my republic count towards expanding trade zones? For example if there are three zones in a straight line, a-b-c, and I own the majority of posts in a and c but other families own all the posts in b, is it still one contiguous zone for the purposes of maximum money making?

It counts as one trade zone as long as you have at least one trade post in each sea zone. Your vassal families' posts don't count for anything, in fact they are a detriment to your efforts to expand which is why a lot of the Republic strategy involves stabbing rival patricians.

• Locked thread