Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... speaking of comfiness, although it has minimal building, have you played Slime Rancher?
Just a little, but it's in very high in my backlog. Confirming that it is indeed comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pierzak posted:

I've put an unhealthy amount of time into Terraria and Stardew Valley, please recommend more. Comfiness and building mandatory, digging and lack of SF for bonus points.

Not sure if it’s still in EA but the few videos I’ve seen of Graveyard Keeper were very stardew valley-ish.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Just a little, but it's in very high in my backlog. Confirming that it is indeed comfy.

Oh hell yeah, Slime Rancher is dope. It's one of those games that you don't put down for 80 hours, and then never touch again though.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pierzak posted:

I've put an unhealthy amount of time into Terraria and Stardew Valley, please recommend more. Comfiness and building mandatory, digging and lack of SF for bonus points.

My Time at Portia is a more crafts focused 3d Stardew Valley. It's in early access on Steam. It is technically sci-fi, but it's pastoral enough I don't think it would be a problem.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I dunno if there is anything like this, but:

I'm looking for a game that I can play on a lovely laptop that has some sort of PvP interaction (and a reasonably active player base) - preferably some kind of strategy or rpg-type game, though I also like sims, card games, and slower-paced action stuff.

Anything come to mind?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm looking for a game that I can play on a lovely laptop that has some sort of PvP interaction (and a reasonably active player base) - preferably some kind of strategy or rpg-type game, though I also like sims, card games, and slower-paced action stuff.

Anything come to mind?

Hearthstone, Eternal, Elder Scrolls Legends are all card games that run in toasters, Hearthstone more than the others.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anything come to mind?

how lovely? my laptop has Intel HD 5500 graphics and it can run Fortnite and Overwatch, but it ends up looking like 90s FMV sometimes with how low the resolution drops to keep it running smooth-ish

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how lovely? my laptop has Intel HD 5500 graphics and it can run Fortnite and Overwatch, but it ends up looking like 90s FMV sometimes with how low the resolution drops to keep it running smooth-ish

It's a Lenovo T420, so it has HD 3200 or something? Pretty sure I can't run Overwatch at all.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Anything come to mind?

Old school MMORPGs? Anarchy Online, Everquest etc. WoW runs on pretty low specs. These are pretty much all free to play in some form now.

Awesomenauts is a fun 2D MOBA that's been around forever and they're still updating so assume it's active. I think that runs on just about anything.

I guess part of the problem will be that low-spec usually means old and any old game with an active PvP player base usually isn't going to be great for new players.

My go-to for low spec games is Spiderweb Software RPGs, but no PVP/Multiplayer there.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 3, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It would be nice if Spiderweb would take their 20 year old games and make them, you know, not 40 bucks

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It would be nice if Spiderweb would take their 20 year old games and make them, you know, not 40 bucks

Which ones in particular? Both the Geneforge pack and the two OG Avernum trilogies are frequently on sale for scraps, and the Exile trilogy + Blades were all made freeware.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I'm seeing them all as way cheaper than that, especially the older ones. Don't know if that's an international thing (I'm in the UK). I got pretty much their entire catalogue in a sale in a single bundle though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Anything come to mind?

Though the playerbase is so small that you can't get anyone playing ranked, check to see if your laptop can play Atlas Reactor on the lowest settings.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think we have a general browser game thread so I'll ask if there's any good ones here. I'm thinking more game game than cookie clicker type stuff. I'd heard Fallen London was good?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

I don't think we have a general browser game thread so I'll ask if there's any good ones here. I'm thinking more game game than cookie clicker type stuff. I'd heard Fallen London was good?

Fallen London is great, but you have to go into it with certain expectations. It's not a game so much as an interactive book of sorts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fallen London is a visual novel that you have to grind increasingly large and arbitrary amounts of Progress Quest to unlock. The setting is good -- it's really cool and evocative and different -- but as a game it's garbage.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingdom of Loathing is pretty cool.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
card hunter still holds up, I recommend the steam version though

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fallen London has paywalls in it, in places you probably wouldn't expect. Like, in a couple places you have to pay just to see a story. Doesn't give you any other advantage.

KoL has paywalls in that the store items sometimes have entire areas they unlock, but you can buy those from other players (for millions of meat).

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Hearthstone, Eternal, Elder Scrolls Legends are all card games that run in toasters, Hearthstone more than the others.

Hearthstone just came out with a new expansion. This is only notable because there's a card in it that gives you a random deck out of 16 pre-built ones, and they're all at least passable.

Yes, that means with a deck of one card you have 16 full decks that are selected at random. It's pretty rad if you don't want to spend all of the money.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

McFrugal posted:

KoL has paywalls in that the store items sometimes have entire areas they unlock, but you can buy those from other players (for millions of meat).

This is definitely true, but it should be noted that you can play a whole lot before you really hit a point where you would feel the need to put down money to get more content. KoL doesn't have a paywall in the sense that you will find points where you can go no further until you pay $X, it's that the store items will occasionally have a whole involved sidequest or area or whatever associated with them. If you don't buy that particular item (they cycle monthly, for the most part), chances are good you wouldn't ever know what you're missing unless you happened to look it up on the wiki.

Also some of the monthly items are familiars (or similar mechanical elements) that drop items, and it's actually those drops that let you adventure in the unique area or whatever. In those cases, the item drops tend to be much easier to get than the monthly items. I've done a handful of quests that way.

Basically, I played the game off and on for a couple of years before I ever put money down, and even then I did it because I felt like putting money towards something I enjoyed, not because I felt like it was the only way to continue having fun with it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

This is a little hard for me to describe, but please bear with me. I've been looking for an adventure game or platformer or the like with a lot of diversionary secondary content, something that mixes a bunch of side quests and fun details into the main plot. I'm finding modern open world games to be prioritizing size and repetition over depth and fun it's making for bland gameplay. I've been nostalgic for the Majora's Masks and Super Mario Sunshines out there, games that allow for a certain amount of well-polished exploration and just general all-ages fun. Do those sorts of games exist on PC? I've been playing A Hat In Time, and enjoying it immensely. Perhaps I should buy a Switch and get Odyssey and BotW?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okami is on Steam if you've never played that.

Yakuza 0 has a relatively tiny open world with tons of minigames and cute sidestories, although it's very much not for all ages.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 8, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

This is a little hard for me to describe, but please bear with me. I've been looking for an adventure game or platformer or the like with a lot of diversionary secondary content, something that mixes a bunch of side quests and fun details into the main plot. I'm finding modern open world games to be prioritizing size and repetition over depth and fun it's making for bland gameplay. I've been nostalgic for the Majora's Masks and Super Mario Sunshines out there, games that allow for a certain amount of well-polished exploration and just general all-ages fun. Do those sorts of games exist on PC? I've been playing A Hat In Time, and enjoying it immensely. Perhaps I should buy a Switch and get Odyssey and BotW?

Odessy and BOTW fit the bill. If you get a Switch then you should buy Okami.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Really Pants posted:

Okami is on Steam if you've never played that.

Yakuza 0 has a relatively tiny open world with tons of minigames and cute sidestories, although it's very much not for all ages.

Yakuza 0 is pretty much the best game on Steam right now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Seconding Okami

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Inzombiac posted:

Odessy and BOTW fit the bill. If you get a Switch then you should buy Okami.

Is Okami HD on PC a worthy port?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's locked to 30fps if that's an issue, but apart from that it always ran just fine for me.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

While not technically pc games, you can emulate Jak and Daxter or Ratchet & Clank for some classic platformers.

And in the vein of Yakuza 0, the early Yakuza games are also emulatable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

Yeah. It also has the bonus of being able to skip cutscenes (which you shouldn't do your first time around).

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Riatsala posted:

It's the best version of the game available.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Did it restore the credits cutscene that was cut from the Wii HD release? I was bitter about that. It's not a big deal but I liked it in the PS2 version.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did it restore the credits cutscene that was cut from the Wii HD release? I was bitter about that. It's not a big deal but I liked it in the PS2 version.

I don't know for sure, but I think yes, I do know it brought back the loading screen minigames that the Wii version cut.

It's just a PC port of the PS3 version of Okami HD, so if that version brought it back, then yes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:confused:

$7 for all five Geneforge games on Steam or $20 on GOG. Or for $70 you can get all five Geneforge games, all six Avernums, and all three Avadons. The Avernums are also $5 individually for the originals and $10-$20 for the re(re)makes.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm looking for recommendations on two kinds of game (PC platform):

1) a free roaming open-world, RPG-ish (either heavy or light, doesn't matter as long as it's not just pure action) game where I can roam around, do whatever, grow my character and curbstomp the world when I'm buff enough. Story isn't super important but if there is some decent writing, all the better. The more you can interact with stuff, the better - one flaw those games tend to always have is that the huge open world is basically a painted backdrop that you can't interact in any way and that becomes boring - even though the more recent ones have kind of fixed it (being able to enter buildings, minigames like poker or whatever, hunting...). I'd like something still kind of grounded in reality, not too over-the-top so not like Saints Row and so on.

Examples I already played: Fallout New Vegas, 3 and 4, Oblivion and Skyrim, Assassins' Creed from 1 to 3, GTA 4 and 5, Red Dead Redemption - basically all the big ones, wondering if there's some hidden gem similar to those. I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance but it was far too clunky for my taste.

2) a management/simulation game where you build and run a business/city/company/country/whatever. Also including 4X games even though I'm quite sick of them so unless there's something just totally amazing in that genre, better stay on the "management/building up something" side

Examples I already played include Cities: Skylines, The Guild, Theme Hospital, Rimworld, Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris, Civilization 5 and 6, Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2.

I'm not much into the Japanese aesthetic, I much prefer western-style graphics and gameplay tropes generally.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TorakFade posted:

2) a management/simulation game where you build and run a business/city/company/country/whatever. Also including 4X games even though I'm quite sick of them so unless there's something just totally amazing in that genre, better stay on the "management/building up something" side

As a business simulator, try Capitalism 2, old but good, on sale right now in GoG, so it's really cheap.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TorakFade, Morrowind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TorakFade posted:

2) a management/simulation game where you build and run a business/city/company/country/whatever.
Stretching the definition a bit but check out Big Pharma.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sleeping Dogs for the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Angry Lobster posted:

As a business simulator, try Capitalism 2, old but good, on sale right now in GoG, so it's really cheap.

Aha, this looks right up my alley. Will definitly give it a spin, thanks!

StrixNebulosa posted:

TorakFade, Morrowind.

Forgot to say, already played it. Plus I'd like something a bit more modern-looking for an open-world game :)

Splicer posted:

Stretching the definition a bit but check out Big Pharma.

Not a big fan of the puzzle / assembly line thing, but will keep an eye on it in case of sales

Sleeping Dogs for the first one

oooh 85% off on Steam, nice. For the price I'll get it.