Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

Also there were several times he'd knock me down and then charge back and forth over me while I was supposed stun locked. :orks:

That's how you know the experience is authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It would be really weird for a single fight at the very end of a raid tier to be a crossover. I mean, anything's possible but that seems like a hell of a wasted opportunity.

Besides, "CEO of Square Enix" is a way better boss idea.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A lot of tanking just comes through learned knowledge, like observing how much your party members have to move around when you take a specific position in an encounter, especially when there are confounding variables i.e. the exploding puffers in Shisui or the lava circles steadily overtaking the platform in Sohm Al Hard's Lava Scorpion.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hello, I’m planning to do some raid school O5S runs tonight, probably around 9:00 central time. Come join us if you want to learn how to fight a train and (maybe) not die! we’ll die

Also, I didn’t notice it before, but they totally flipped the models for the mendacity axe and Tsukuyomi axe around. It’s got the moon theme and the random tassel and everything.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Use less starch on your tassels

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find myself almost never using my "original" enmity combo on my level 57 DRK. Is this normal? The other combo just seems to do slightly more damage plus the MP and HP regen, and it's easy enough to keep aggro just through my AoE plus Grit plus whatever other enmity causing stuff.

Also, I find myself semi-randomly buffing abilities with Dark Force (I think that's what it's called). I generally prioritize buffing that cone AoE that blinds or the leaping move (I really need to learn the skill names) and will also randomly buff my 2nd and 3rd combo attacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dark Arts-ing things is fine as long as you know which ones to do. You should probably Dark Arts Plunge at the start of a pull, I don't know if Dark Passenger is even worth using currently but it's definitely not worth using without Dark Arts when you're doing a big pull, and at 56 you got Abyssal Drain, which is loving amazing when you Dark Arts it. It doesn't increase the potency, but it adds HP regen, so it's incredible on huge pulls.

DRK does not have a hard time keeping enmity, so you probably won't find yourself using that combo much outside of the beginning of boss fights (where you'll want to Dark Arts the third skill and then drop Grit if you're feeling daring). The key thing to remember about using Dark Arts on Syphon Strike/Souleater is that you only want to use it on one of them per combo. It doesn't matter which, the potency increase is the same, but it's only worth it to do it on one of them.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

@safeword

I'll try and leave my client idle for as much of today so just send a req when you're on and i'll mail your sweater to you

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Ytlaya posted:

I find myself almost never using my "original" enmity combo on my level 57 DRK. Is this normal? The other combo just seems to do slightly more damage plus the MP and HP regen, and it's easy enough to keep aggro just through my AoE plus Grit plus whatever other enmity causing stuff.

Yeah you've got it right. You really only use the enmity combo once or maybe twice at the start of a fight on a boss so it puts you in a solid enmity lead. Sometimes you'll use it if there's an add you have to pick up as an offtank or something but that's about it. Which is a shame because its a cool looking combo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everyone's got their opinion, but I'd say it's that drat contrived "Horde and Alliance must be enemies" thing.

"We finally, collectively, defeated the Lich King, an enemy so powerful his very existence threatened the lives of every sentient being on Azeroth (that we knew of so far, wink wink nudge nudge).

TIME TO GO BACK TO MURDERING EACHOTHER OVER PETTY poo poo.

....hmm. They're not buying it.

TIME TO WRITE SOME COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED REASON TO INCITE CONFLICT."

You know what this is 100% exactly how I feel

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, that Level 70 Monk quest was basically "ADDS: The Musical".

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I find myself semi-randomly buffing abilities with Dark Force (I think that's what it's called). I generally prioritize buffing that cone AoE that blinds or the leaping move (I really need to learn the skill names) and will also randomly buff my 2nd and 3rd combo attacks.

For all intents and purposes the Souleater combo should be your default, with Power Slash being a situational but useful way to amass a huge amount of enmity when DA'd.

My rule of thumb is to DA whenever my MP is above around a quarter or so, so I can DA something specific or unplanned if I need to. There's rarely any reason to have more MP than you'll need in a pinch.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

1 Dark Arts Power Slash combo is all you will ever need to hold aggro for bosses so the rest of the time you can just use Souleater combos. Dark Arts priority in single target is Carve and Spit -> Bloodspiller in Grit only -> literally anything else. All other Dark Arts add the same amount of damage so it doesn't matter which you are using. Generally you don't want to use Dark Passenger in single target situations but it is your best AoE ability and should be used with Dark Arts as much as possible at 2 or more targets.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everyone's got their opinion, but I'd say it's that drat contrived "Horde and Alliance must be enemies" thing.

"We finally, collectively, defeated the Lich King, an enemy so powerful his very existence threatened the lives of every sentient being on Azeroth (that we knew of so far, wink wink nudge nudge).

TIME TO GO BACK TO MURDERING EACHOTHER OVER PETTY poo poo.

....hmm. They're not buying it.

TIME TO WRITE SOME COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED REASON TO INCITE CONFLICT."
So, Azeroth is just fantasy Balkans.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I keep forgetting dark passenger exists because the first half of this expansion trained it out of me for a while

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WrightOfWay posted:

Dark Arts priority in single target is Carve and Spit -> Bloodspiller in Grit only -> literally anything else.

This is wrong, Bloodspiller does more damage out of Grit than in it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Bloodspiller gets something like 45 bonus potency when you DA it and are in Grit. So it gets you extra damage vs using DA on a different move when you're in grit

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arist posted:

This is wrong, Bloodspiller does more damage out of Grit than in it.

I mean if you are already in Grit, Dark Arts Bloodspiller is more damage than Dark Arts Siphon, Plunge or Souleater. If you aren't in Grit then it has the same priority as everything else.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm getting that urge to jump back into the game and finish leveling Dark Knight. What's the current hotness for power leveling?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Daily roulettes, your highest level dungeon, PotD, and HoH.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Good, glad to hear nothing changed too much since my last outing.

Edit: vvvvvv My comment still stands. lmao

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 8, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I'm getting that urge to jump back into the game and finish leveling Dark Knight. What's the current hotness for power leveling?
Erotic roleplay in exchange for Paypal cash to buy a jump potion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm so glad Square looked at Anemos and asked themselves how they could make it even worse than before.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
The worst part about playing dark knight (or any DPS with a combo or two) is that years of being a mch main has killed my ability to understand that if you want to do 1-2-3 you can't actually do 1-2-1-3 and it is a capital-P Problem.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

This guy knows

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's 3:56 AM here but I just finish Heavensward MSQ to get into Stormblood! New theme! New threads! New job quests!

I also chose to stay behind and Papalymo promptly blasted me into the airship. Nice.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Does this make Thrall Tito?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Schneider Heim posted:

It's 3:56 AM here but I just finish Heavensward MSQ to get into Stormblood! New theme! New threads! New job quests!

I also chose to stay behind and Papalymo promptly blasted me into the airship. Nice.

I'm sure there are people who don't choose that option, but they're monsters and I do not wish to know them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why didn't he let me stay and fight? Doesn't he know I have almost literal in universe plot armor!?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sure there are people who don't choose that option, but they're monsters and I do not wish to know them.

Disagree. I respected him enough to let him have his badass moment since we both knew that me staying behind wouldn't change the outcome.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I figured anyone who glances over at me, the insane god-slaying maniac, and then back at a primal, and come to the conclusion that sacrificing themselves is the only way forward is too stupid to live anyway.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My only regret is that I couldn't kill him myself :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

My only regret is that I couldn't kill him myself :colbert:

:emptyquote:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dwesa posted:

Azeroth is fantasy Balkans, but all sides are being ordered around behind the scenes by someone who is pitting them against eachother for their amusement, but is growing increasingly bored with the results, so they have to escalate to bigger, and dumber poo poo each time.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

RME posted:

@safeword

I'll try and leave my client idle for as much of today so just send a req when you're on and i'll mail your sweater to you

I got it, and thanks for humouring my attempts at chatting. :haw:

I need to get a spare keyboard, or move the PS4.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thundarr posted:

Disagree. I respected him enough to let him have his badass moment since we both knew that me staying behind wouldn't change the outcome.

drat right. Dude knew what he was about, and I didn't have 7 other adventurers on hand.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Azeroth is fantasy Balkans, but all sides are being ordered around behind the scenes by someone who is pitting them against eachother for their amusement, but is growing increasingly bored with the results, so they have to escalate to bigger, and dumber poo poo each time.

I mean the big bad they've been building up is Entropy and the Void. So the final boss of WoW will be the laws of thermodynamics.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey sugar :wink:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Could you tell me the names of all of the bottle items on the shelving units? I eventually want to make a bar-like room and a lot of those items would be really helpful!

Argas posted:

It helps that at the end of the day, XIV is a story with hope. Not because things will naturally get better, or because things are always going to trend upwards, but because the Warrior of Light still stands tall(ish) and unbroken, smiling through the pain because tomorrow will be better because we're going to make it that way.

And everyone else who's been inspired by us.

This is probably why I like FFXIV's story so much. It gets pretty grimdark at times but there's always that glimmer of hope and ideals, and you're the one with the power to see it through. It's a nice feeling to play through and feel like, "hey I made that happen. :unsmith:"

Alakaiser posted:

It would be really weird for a single fight at the very end of a raid tier to be a crossover. I mean, anything's possible but that seems like a hell of a wasted opportunity.

Besides, "CEO of Square Enix" is a way better boss idea.

At the same time, I guess Yoko Taro is a fan of XIV? I remember earlier in the thread when he posted on twitter about going to E3, the image was specifically of the XIV booth for Stormblood. And given the way dragons work in XIV, it feels like it could fit. I'm cautiously optimistic here because I don't know what to expect, if it turns out to be true.

e: It was a year ago at TGS, I guess.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/910714223793135618

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Monsters, the lot of ya. Except:

Thundarr posted:

It's the gesture. You don't leave a man behind.