Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Shiny777 posted:

"i'm not snagged! i'm not snagged!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and disappear into a poke ball

(Seconding this.)

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
dril works.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yup I'm also voting for dril.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How could you say no to dril?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm gonna be semi-contrarian and go with wint

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's like I'm the only person here dedicated to the cause of sabotaging the recipe for the LP Pizza. :mad:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zereth posted:

It's like I'm the only person here dedicated to the cause of sabotaging the recipe for the LP Pizza. :mad:

Crosspeice said no more food names :saddowns: or I'd have suggested Spearmint.

But you're right. Changing vote to Salmonella

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Spatula City posted:

name it dril

Sounds good to me.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So it doesn't get lost in the nickname discussion, can we also talk about the weirdness that is Snattle's team? I think the ???-type Weather Ball thing has to have been deliberate, and I don't understand why they'd go out of their way to show that. Battling against him is literally the only time you can see this happen, unless you go out of your way to trade over a Castform after beating the game (it makes sense to implement a failsafe in case you tried that, that's good design. But highlighting it in the main story?).

Then again, it may be a gimmick but I guess at least it's interesting.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Wow, I did not remember Snattle existing. I knew we had to fight a boss here somewhere, but I could never remember who it was. Its like his bizarre and terrible character design were surgically removed form my memory.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Wow, I did not remember Snattle existing. I knew we had to fight a boss here somewhere, but I could never remember who it was. Its like his bizarre and terrible character design were surgically removed form my memory.

Hard same here. Actually I could only ever remember Lovrina out of this game's admins and I think it's because her arms are so thin.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I remember Snattle specifically because of the Shadow Sky+???-type Weather Ball thing his team has. Like Explopyro said, it's such a weirdly deliberate thing to include, and now that the ??? type has been officially retired, it's one of those fun little quirks that's likely to stay exclusive to Gale of Darkness.

I was definitely rotating my in-game team by this point, since running over your opponent via overleveling takes a bit of the fun out of the game. It seems like they realized that Colosseum was a bit too difficult for the average Pokemon player, but then went too far in the other direction for this game.

Oh, and Michael David has just learned why Wes's bike is the superior mode of desert transportation.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 9, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Looks like we have our very own @dril! Voting closed!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm late to the party.
Have you gone over how these games have the most hilariously awful NPC names in the history of videogames?

I haven't specifically drawn attention to them, since they basically speak for themselves. I've tried to show off every name I could, they are definitely something special.

Snattle seems to be pretty gimmicky in general, he doesn't even have his own base of operations like the other admins and his strategy is completely deliberate since he'll use it when we next face him.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Snattle's one of the lamer designs but I remember him significantly more than Ein.
Even now, despite seeing Ein like 4 weeks ago, I still mentally replace his design with Snattle's

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
For a second, it looked like Snattle's losing animation was him doing that dab meme. :stare:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For a second, it looked like Snattle's losing animation was him doing that dab meme. :stare:

Genius Sonority think they slick...

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Who thought it'd be a good idea to put a drill onto a pizza? Is this like that gun in ramen joke?

My favorite admin's one we haven't seen yet. Snattle's just kind of there, and Lovrina felt... Annoying, I guess?

Spearow and by connection Fearow are good in a universe without Dodrio. Which this one is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Not a drill, dril.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Course 5: Battle Bingo 1

Battle Bingo

Alright, Battle Bingo isn't nearly as intense as the Battle CDs, but it's still an investment regardless. Let's do some cards.

Pretty simple with only three types and very few moves to play with.

Starting off big with Golem and then a chunk of EP.

Best to make a row as quickly as possible so you don't run out of EP immediately if the Pokemon you want to catch isn't nearby.

Since I wasn't really doing a lot, I was maybe reading the forums while recording this and so sometimes I absentmindedly attacked a Pokemon I wanted to catch.

Okay now this is where things get a bit scary. We only have one EP left, so we need to clear some lines each turn, or we're in trouble.

Thankfully the EP+1 panel lets us keep going.

Then one by one we do a row and finish the whole thing! We only needed three Pokemon to clear that, which is pretty uncommon.

Alright, the final Novice card. Now there's four types, woah!

Gonna need a Ground type to start us off and Sandshrew will work quite nicely.

Then we need to catch Doduo and get some EP, cause we've got some tough battles ahead.

Like this Farfetch'd. Cause we were crit, we lose the battle and while we could try again for another EP point, that'll more than likely make you unable to finish the whole card, so don't even bother. It can really suck to lose all your progress right at the end of a card due to a crit, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Second time's the charm.

Doduo goes on a goddamn rampage, since we don't have anything for the multiple Flying types around. In these cases, it just comes down to a damage race, so that's why you usually catch the strongest Pokemon of their type.

Alright, that's one lot down. Onto the next three.

Let's see how difficult these ones are.

Got quite a variety here, so we'll need to catch a few Pokemon.

There we go, everything we need is nearby, so let's get them immediately.

Oh wait we need to restart since I got burned, so can no longer beat Growlithe in a 1v1. You're always holding your breath when you see attacks with secondary effects and they're annoyingly common.

Alright, that should give us a nice EP boost to clear the second half of the board.

It should be pretty obvious what Pokemon I'm using for what panel, since you want to finish battles asap, so blessed RNG doesn't smash your face into the dirt.

A fast Flying type does do wonders here.

And then the last few panels can be done in whichever order you fancy, since you get a lot of BINGOS so you have plenty of EP to experiment with.

We get some more Pokecoupons and a better PP item.

Alright, onto the hardest card in the game, mainly because of the Pokemon options and the various ways you can go through it. We'll be taking the hardest path, of course.

A massive variety in this one, so it explains all the different ways you could go. I'll only show off one since I don't feel like playing more of this mode than I have to. It's alright, but not particularly engaging after you've solved everything. Sure, that's not an excuse, but puzzling out these cards is just frustrating, so I don't care.

Gonna start off with some oddball Pokemon, since we'll need them.

Nosepass vs Grimer is the hardest fight in Battle BINGO since Nosepass is the most dependable Pokemon on the board to take out Grimer, but Nosepass does gently caress all for damage. And it's Rock Throw, so its accuracy is poo poo. Also if it gets poisoned early, you're in trouble. If you combine them both, you'll lose, so it might take a few resets to get it right. No matter the path, all but one have trouble getting past Grimer and they have other Pokemon to worry about also, so a lot of this card comes down to luck.

Had a couple of near misses, but finally we get some good luck and survive with little HP. Thankfully every Pokemon is fully healed between battles.

Little bit fragmented, but let's start lining up the, uh, lines.

Nice, love me some damage variation that causes me to lose. Still, I made a savestate after the Grimer fight, so I'm not going through that bullshit again.

Shame we don't catch Mankey on this path, or this would be real nostalgic.

Silver Wind boosts are not appreciated after you've beaten the opponent, thanks.

And that's that one down, phew. Once you get past the initial hump, the rest is mostly smooth sailing.

Last card for today is this one, which should be a piece of cake, right?

Of course it's never going to be that easy, as you can see with the wide variety of Flying types we'll face.

Since Sudowoodo is so slow, it might not survive all the attacks sent its way, so we'll need some extra help.

Alright, that's much better. We'll grab the strongest Pokemon we can find and sweep from there, since even Sudowoodo will struggle against Charizard.

Charizard is useful as an overall attacker, it'll usually win 1v1 battles, but everyone is pretty useful.

And Sudowoodo is still useful to resist various attacks, even if it does have Rock Throw.

Also when would you think Delibird would be fundamental to our strategy? That's another row down!

But of course there's still a bit more to go, so next time, we'll be tackling the hardest cards in the mode.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Could've done this earlier this week, but I watched the MGSV LP and slept instead, so regular update is coming soon.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Okay, I laughed at the Flying Card. That's a really good way to mess with player expectations.

"Oh, this'll be easy!" and then flips over the Mantine card.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Now we're definitely getting into the more... interesting Bingo cards. The Pikachu one is deceptively hard compared to where they've placed it, it's definitely one of if not the trickiest one (and nigh impossible to win blind, I think). Of course the reward tier is based on the difficulty they've assigned it rather than how hard it actually is.

Losing due to damage-range shenanigans or status hax is never pleasant in these. It's worth noting, though, that status/fainting/etc doesn't persist after the battles, so it's occasionally possible to come back if you have EP to spare. Of course, you still get fewer coupons for that, bleh.

I'm of two minds about the Flying card's gimmick (which we'll see again on later cards, too). It's a clever way of messing with expectations and such, but in actual gameplay it's hiding all the information that would let you strategise (giving people a big incentive to look up the answers). Playing it blind is sort of fun (see what you get and react on the fly), but also frustrating because it feels like you have to rely on luck to do well. It's interesting but ultimately I think it's more reason to think this would've been a better game if you had perfect information.

All of that said, I'm pretty impressed to see you win a card with a Master Ball to spare; I wasn't quite sure that would be possible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 10: Ship Shape Scooter

Krabby Club

So, how did you like it? I see that our fabulous performance has left you speechless!

Harrumph! Our POKEMON-couple performance is at peak form, as always!

This is only a quick visit to the Krabby Club, since we can hunt for Battle CDs in some places now that Phenac is safe!

We won't be going everywhere to find them, since it's better to do so a little bit later.

But Grandpa's gone out again and hasn't come back, just like before... Grandpa's the only one who knows about all the parts we carry...

ONBS News

ONBS was also targeted for takeover by CIPHER. Despite this setback, CIPHER appears to be growing more active. The authorities have issued caution to all citizens and organizations to be alert to the possibility of further attacks. As you have seen, CIPHER has returned with a vengeance. The entire ORRE REGION is endangered again. ONBS promises to doggedly pursue this story and provide you with the most accurate information on CIPHER's actions. We must not allow CIPHER to carry out its conspiracy of fear. Let us all protect the peace of ORRE with courage!

Hey, I've figured it out! You want your SCOOTER modified so you can lay a smackdown on CIPHER, right? Of all times, Grandpa would be out of the shop. It's a headache. He's over at DR. KAMINKO's manor again. You'd be better off going to see him in person.

I understand that you were quite the hero in PHENAC CITY. Very impressive of you. Hohoho.

Dr. Kaminko's Yard

Not everyday we become a national hero that everyone knows about. But to continue we must head back to the manor, which means...

CHOBIN am I! And CHOBIN is the number-one assistant to DR. KAMINKO! CHOBIN is still the only assistant, so CHOBIN has to be the number-one assistant!

We must fight Chobin again and he's gotten a small upgrade to his team, but really who cares, Spearow now has his nature revealed! Hardy is +Atk -Atk, so it's whatever.

Since we led with Pineapple, Gyarados is not a threat. Always have a Gyarados counter, kids!

Oh! DR. KAMINKO! CHOBIN was trying to teach this burglar a lesson...

Burglar? A burglar, you say? No mercy need be given to a burglar! Let the just-completed "it" handle him!

DOCTOR, you don't mean... it?

I said it!

CHOBIN understands! It, it is! You wait! You are going to get it!

Fine! Let us begin! Tweet! Though the rumble of thunder fills the air, the weather remains free of clouds! Let thunder tear the skies and rend the earth! The time has come for the ultimate ROBO POKEMON to finally reveal itself! Come hither, ROBO GROUDON!

Robo Groudon

ROBO GROUDON, go!

Gawoooh! This is who you battle! You've been warned!

Robo Groudon Battle

I was not ready for today...

So Chobin has a pretty quick turnaround from a pretty weak trainer to actually kind of a threat? Well the Gyarados is annoying if you don't have an Electric move, but of course he's using a sun team, so that might be tricky if you're weak to Grass.

Thankfully it's not a proper sun team, since only Chlorophyll is affected, so you can use this as an opportunity to roast him alive. And I'll do that as soon as Spearow faints.

Any minute now...

Well yet again Spearow remains out in a battle he probably has no reason to stay in, but oh well, makes it slightly tougher.

Stop targetting the high levelled one!

Alright, there we go! Now for Hotdog to shine. Heh, get it? Sun? Shine??? HEHEHE... hrm.

uh

Ah, there we go... f-first try! Woo...

Wh-what?! Our alleged burglar is merely CHOBIN's acquaintance? ...and a child, no less! Bah! Enough! Enough of this nonsense! Given the ROBO GROUDON's utter failure, the half-built ROBO KYOGRE doesn't inspire confidence. I doubt it will ever be useful. CHOBIN! See to it that the ROBO KYOGRE is disposed of as scrap by MAKAN at the PARTS SHOP. Understood?

Hah? We're dropping development of the ROBO KYOGRE?

It's finished, over and done with, kaput! The whole ROBO POKEMON PLAN is canceled!

DOCTOR, wait! Please, CHOBIN would like to keep the ROBO GROUDON at least.

Humph! I have no interest in any robo I've scrapped. As you wish.

MAKAN is in the manor. CHOBIN suggests you go in and have a look. In the meantime, CHOBIN must put away the ROBO GROUDON... Oh, yes! DAVID, CHOBIN would like your P*DA number, if you will be so kind. CHOBIN will modify the ROBO GROUDON. CHOBIN would like a rematch when the work is done.

Of course, the things she takes are not needed, so that in itself is not a problem for CHOBIN. But that space is open to below, so it could be dangerous if anything were to fall. CHOBIN asks if you would say something to her. However, CHOBIN realizes perhaps she is not likely to listen to you anyway. Oh, yes. May CHOBIN ask if you would inspect the CRANE ROOM on occasion from now on? Oh! Wow, you're a livesaver! CHOBIN is no friend of high places. If you find anything, CHOBIN won't know if you took it, so take it. But don't take CHOBIN's treasures! Okay, DAVID, CHOBIN is counting on you.

Dr. Kaminko's

Now that we are friend of Chobin, we can explore more of the house, starting with downstairs, which is a weird movement puzzle we'll see more of later.

It's pretty linear and boring waiting for the animations, but hey, another Battle CD. Let's get that item now!

Oh... it's just a diary. Well it'd be rude to come all the way over here and not read it, right?

The robots under this room are made to look like a red POKEMON and a blue one. And they're supposed to work! But JOVI's not sure if that's true. Because CHOBIN says that JOVI can't take a ride. JOVI bets CHOBIN won't let JOVI take a ride because they don't work. CHOBIN's a cheapskate!

Where did Jovi learn these kinds of words anyway? We'll be back to this area soon enough, but not for what you'd think.

You may come and go as you wish, but try not to disturb MAKAN inside. Hmm... wherein lay the weakness of my ROBO POKEMON? Ah, eureka! Next time, I shall make a real POKEMON drive it! No, wait. Something about that plan sounds extraneous... hmm...

Let's see what kind of dark secrets we can uncover down here.

Whoa! You've given me quite the start! Oh, it's you, lad. What's up today? ... Hm... CIPHER is back, then. I thought they folded five years ago, but they've returned. So, you want me to modify your SCOOTER for desert-crossing performance? Well, you certainly are bold for even considering to face CIPHER alone. Fine, let's do it. I'll modify your SCOOTER. Good deeds shouldn't wait. I'll arrange to haul this ROBO KYOGRE back to me shop right away. I'll see you there.

Oh whoops, I forgot you got teleported back to Gateon if you talked to Makan, since I missed something. It's not a big deal though.

It'll be fine in any desert now! But that ROBO KYOGRE we got from DR. KAMINKO... is it going to be useful, do you think? I think it's just going to be junk like usual.

Aw man, our bike still loving sucks...

Oh! What is that? What's something like that doing in my place? Is it maybe...? Did CIPHER leave it behind? Grandma! Grandma! Did you know?!

Bah... it makes me uncomfortable knowing those CIPHER crooks lived here even a short while. If that's useful to you, then you should take it. We're all counting on you to defeat CIPHER for good.

So now that we've had our scooter upgraded, there's more Battle CDs available! Since they're so close together, it's easier to roll them into one and stop you from bouncing all over the map constantly. And if you wanted to, you could head straight to the next CD unlock pretty quickly.

Oh yeah, I really need to remember various held items, they could be kinda useful! Mainly cause there's not much else to use, alas.

Anyway, since we've got more Battle CDs to obtain, we're heading back here again... which means...

CHOBIN is the name! And CHOBIN is the number-one assistant to DR. KAMINKO! CHOBIN is forever the only assistant, so CHOBIN has to be the number-one assistant!

This is my one big gripe of the Orre games, having unavoidable rematches. Though at least in this game, trainers aren't going to reset their sight and approach you, like they did in the Pyrite Building and Cave last game. Still annoying though, since we JUST fought Chobin and he has the exact same team. Oh well, even though I missed stuff earlier, we would still need to come here again anyway.

Since we don't have Pineapple out, Gyarados will be annoying, but it doesn't have any STAB, so it's not a big deal.

But hey, let's have some fun in the sun! Spearow also learned Aerial Ace, woo STAB.

gently caress you game. I use Fire Blast BECAUSE it has better accuracy than the others!

Well whatever, Pineapple and Portobello will clean this up no problem.

Is it possible that you came for a battle with my ROBO GROUDON? CHOBIN sadly must announce that the modification work is not yet done. CHOBIN suggests you curb your enthusiasm. An E-MAIL will be sent when ROBO GROUDON is ready, so wait for that eagerly.

Yep. Despite just being here, this Battle CD doesn't appear until after the scooter upgrade. But that's not all.

Ah, yes! That's it! ROBO TRAINERS! No, wait... there's something wrong with that idea... hmm...

The Rare Candy is what we missed, but this Battle CD also doesn't appear until after the scooter upgrade, so that's why we still needed to come here and battle Chobin for the fifth loving time.

Mt. Battle

Oh hey I guess I should go up Mt. Battle one of these days with my Shadow Pokemon. Sure, why not.

We'll be using Roosevelt throughout the entire place, so he'll get more levels and thus more interesting Pickup items and it'll make Return a super nuke. The Pokemon in this facility start off super weak, but this place has a couple surprises. Not in its layout, it's still the exact same 100 battle gruelfest it was last game.

We get the standard amount of Pokecoupons, but for the first clear of an area, we'll also get an item. A free Macho Brace is pretty cool, but there are also EIGHT TMs that can only be obtained here, such as Water Pulse, which your Vaporeon would really appreciate.

Don't think it'll be smooth sailing though, the Pokemon you'll face won't be a smooth gradual climb like last game, between areas 2 and 3, 4 and 5 and 6 and 7, there's a sharp level hike, indicating that you should probably come back later.

No matter, we've got Shadow Pokemon around that level, so with a bit of luck and healing, we're able to clear Area 3 and get the Shock Wave TM. Sure, I absolutely have enough Pokecoupons just from Battle Bingo to buy the Thunderbolt TM but... nahhhhhh.

Flashy. Like before, here's the list of Pokecoupon gains and the TM obtained for finishing an area.

Those are some nice ones, right? It's not a bad idea to clear Mt. Battle up to the area you want to obtain a certain move. However, due to the level spike between areas 6 and 7, you can basically count those last three TMs as postgame, since your team may be too weak to beat them, but if you do the areas anyway, you'll make the last area a cakewalk and I'm trying to cut down on my team's levels (key word of try). Oh yeah, if you use any legendary Pokemon, the coupon amount is reduced by 15% per legendary used (the second one making it 85% of 85%, so 72%)

Maybe... maybe there aren't just six of us? Hey, look there. It's that kid again.

They'll remain here for the rest of their lives. And that's terrible.

ANYWAY, how about we stop dicking around and progress the story? Sounds crazy, I know.

S.S. Libra

Oh hey it's some kind of... Abandoned... Vessel. No that's not quite right. Let's explore!

Hmm, nah, it doesn't matter when we face Justy now, our team's too strong, so we'll do it next update.

Since we have the requisite badge of being 10, Michel can push big boxes! Yay puzzles.

Though getting this item means we have to push it back and then in again.

Let's see what's on deck! I think I can hear something...

Cipher Admin

Oh yes, indeed! Such a lost opportunity, for it was obviously rare! If only it had been caught! Why, if you caught it, GORIGAN, your collection would have been enhanced by 0.7%! Such a disappointing loss!

It took off because you made so much noise, GORIGAN, sir.

I heard that! You're pinning the blame on me?! That's blatant insubordination! I'm in a foul mood today. Not plain foul, foul foul! Today, of all days...

Oh! GORIGAN, sir, an intruder!

Hey!

Yes, sir.

Teach this little boy a thing or two about pain.

Aye, aye, sir! You just leave everything to me! You can be assured the job will be done while you return to the LAIR. See to it!

Allow me to explain. We have a crucial job to do at the LAIR. We need to make SHADOW POKEMON from those that were on this ship. You do agree this is indeed important, don't you? If you were to do the job, you would take 38% more effort than I. In that case, GORIGAN's mood would worsen by 72%. You do agree that is indeed most inefficient, don't you? As a result, if you were to take this boy on in my place, we would be ahead 63% in terms of overall efficiency. You do understand, don't you? It's only for efficiency's sake. I'll be going now.

Hmm? My eyes glazed over and I started thinking about how the Admin theme for this game weirdly fits all of them so well.

We haven't seen a Shadow Pokemon this update. That's a bit weird, but I suppose we just found Cipher again.

...why does your Huntail have Rock Tomb and your Cacnea have Thunderpunch?

Still not a big deal. Spearow should be close to purification soon!

S.S. Libra

You know, there's plenty of food and all. I have to admit certain things bugged me, but nothing's perfect in life! I've got to admit I'm glad that weird bunch is gone. I owe you thanks for that at least. You must be tired after that battle, right? You can rest up at my place. It's in the wheelhouse.

You're free to use that bed whenever you feel tired, okay? By the way... I've got this favor to ask of you. See, every so often, I hear these odd noises coming from deep in the ship's hull. I think there's someone skulking around down there, but it's too creepy for me to go take a look-see. How about you go look for me? Thank you kindly. That noise has been really eating at my nerves lately. I can hardly sleep now! So, when you're done investigating, I need you to tell me if you've found anything. Eh, tell me if you don't find anything!

Alright, let's explore the rest of the ship. And as is custom, steal anything that isn't nailed down!

Requires a bit of effort this time around though.

Ooh, very nice. There's some good poo poo here and we can evolve the Vulpix we got earlier. Or another Shadow Pokemon that evolves from this item. Or, indeed, Eevee if you've kept it this long. You weirdo.

Next room has an easy item, but then we need to move it back out so we can leave.

Thankfully this is the last room since it requires a bit of set up.

Oh hey Flamethrower. We don't need it.

And a flute? This infinitely cures Confusion. Hey isn't there an awful Shadow move that confuses both opponents? Well, cheers game!

Ah, it's smol tree.

If we approach it nice and slowly, then we can capture it! Easy.

Goddammit, Acri! How did you even get this number?

Ah well, least we get an excellent held item out of the whole thing, as well as all the other loot. Unfortunately we still need to head back and move boxes out of the way to do that.

...is that right? So it was a POKEMON that a girl asked you to find. And you say it got away? Well, this place isn't a very welcome place for a wild POKEMON to survive in... why don't you try looking for it in places where wild POKEMON are apt to gather? Anyways, I'll be heading off for home now. After all, you've solved what worries I had. I'm surely indebted! Come see me whenever you like. You're always welcome!

Too many weird guys keep offering me their bed. Not a fan, no sir. Let's see if we can't track that tree down. It was a Grass type, right?

It won't hurt you to forget his name, either.

Silence!

Huh? You... you don't have a clue about who TEAM SNAGEM happens to be, do you? Back in the old days, grown men shook when they heard our name! Sheesh...

But that's all right. We'll get back to snagging POKEMON just like the old days and terrify the world again! And we'll do that by using your SNAG MACHINE! Whoops! I know you're a great battler! But I'm not having any of that! GLOOM! Release your SLEEP POWDER! Send this kid off to beddy-bye!

Quick! Let's get back to the hideout!

Aye! Can you imagine how happy GONZAP's going to be with us?

Well gently caress. This has put a hole in our plans.

Is that right? So that's been happening in the world at large. TEAM SNAGEM is a bunch of crooks and thugs. They were snagging POKEMON from people with CIPHER's help. I hadn't heard about them for the last couple years, so I figured they fell apart. I guess not, eh? Anyways, it seems to me you need to get back that thing they took from you. I think they took off north chasing after another bunch of strange characters. Maybe you ought to join the chase, too.

Alright, we need to get back our Snag Machine! After doing a bunch of optional poo poo and that. What, it's not like we're in a hurry, right?

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Ah yes, this part of the game. It's... Something, alright. You're gonna make the counter go up so high between now and when you get the machine back :V

Also Gorigan is the best admin. He's pretty much just a monkey-without-tail shaped human in terms of design from the muscles. It's perfect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, they attacked you outside of battle? And stole the only way you have to catch non-wild Pokemon?

When the hell did Team Snagem become competent?! I thought only Wes was!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy poo poo this is a fine plot twist, wonder how this goes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 11: Snagless

Gateon Port

Alright this better be worth it. And flattery is the quickest way to that.

I've come to realize that there's nothing to do but write a novel starring you. So, please let me interview you. Let's begin right away.

...wow! That's beyond incredible! DAVID, you must be an amazingly talented TRAINER despite your appearance! Just interviewing you has excited me to the edge of my seat! Your tale is so thrilling, harrowing and exhilarating! I owe you a huge thanks for agreeing to this interview. Thank you so much!

Interviewing you made me finally realize what was missing from my writing. Reality and inspiration! Those two ingredients were missing from my writing. That's why everything I wrote was never very entertaining. DAVID, thanks to you, my creative energy is growing! I'm going to write a best seller!

Well this is much better, we got the Amulet Coin much earlier compared to last game, though it's still a little late. You only get this if you answer Yes to the three questions, otherwise she'll give you a different item depending on how truthful you were. You get a Quick Claw, White Herb or Mental Herb for zero, one or two yes answers, all of which we can obtain otherwise, whereas the Amulet Coin is only obtainable here. I agree, that's pretty rude if you don't know about this, but why would someone do that, just go up to a interviewer and tell lies?

Uh... thanks?

I have never talked to this Wobbuffet before in my life, but sure.

Do you remember where random bookcases are in this region? You're gonna need to. Also this is the only time in these games this house is useful for anything. How's that for content?

The hottest thing going today has to be wild POKEMON. Huh? You've been to POKE SPOTS? Oh, wow, you're really up on things!

Now don't be rude! I'm sorry about my son. I must say I'm impressed that you're familiar with both BATTLE SIMs and wild POKEMON, especially at your young age. I've decided to take my son to a POKE SPOT soon. Oh, feel free to take that BATTLE CD. I decided that I would rather show my son real POKEMON in the wild.

Alright, where else do bookcases exist in this world that actually have Battle CDs in them after getting our Snag Machine nicked. Because of course that's the trigger.

ONBS

Another one

I think my BONSLY msy be very hungry by now. I'm sure it will be looking for food. Please, save my BONSLY!

Oh! So our BONSLY fled from the ship in the desert? I haven't the faintest idea as to where it could have gone. The poor thing... it must be crying out of fear and hunger... Our BONSLY must be out there somewhere surviving on what food it can forage. Please, look for it again. I know that we've been a terrible burden, but we have no one to turn to but you.

No need to say it. I'm already searching. Hmm... it's not good. There doesn't appear to be any new information with regards to TEAM SNAGEM. It does appear, however, that they aren't involved in any of CIPHER's capers. TEAM SNAGEM must be operating on its own.

I beg your pardon? Oh, no, I don't do BATTLE SIMs. What I'm interested in are the BATTLE CDs themselves. The technology that went into them is quite remarkable. Oh, that's right. I have old analytical data on them somewhere.

Hey, NETT.

... NETT's always like this. When something catches his attention, he doesn't hear a thing. You can take that BATTLE CD. Take a break from your adventure for a change.

The little moments from getting a Battle CD are pretty great. If only there was any indication whatsoever of where you could find them.

Ah, finally. Walking around collecting CDs was just the excuse for me to run back and forth purifying Spearow.

Its moveset is shocking, but hey, not every team member is a winner, I'll still choose them regardless.

And of course that was plenty enough for him to evolve.

There's actually zero difference between Normal and Flying types. You imbecile. You loving moron. Thanks to Spatula City for the nickname.

Here's some more Tutor moves. Pretty good, Body Slam is a great move if you need another physical move that has the bonus paralysis chance. Portobello is the only one who can really use it.

While I remember, we're gonna boost up Fire Blast so it takes a couple more battles before I realise it's out of PP cause I'm just that good. Also dril has some catching up to do, but thankfully I know of a real easy way to do that.

I train with my CASTFORM like this every day. You can have that BATTLE CD. Rather than BATTLE SIMs, I'm much happier running around in the sun. Well, I have to go!

Pre Gym

I see. This is serious, though. Losing the SNAG MACHINE is bad news. But I'm surprised that TEAM SNAGEM still existed. What are they going to do with that SNAG MACHINE, I wonder?

Ah, story triggers have piled up a bit here. We need to leave and come back or he'll just repeat himself.

At PRE GYM, four trainers and I await all challengers. First, you're required to take on the four TRAINERS in knockout matches. You have to beat all four of them in a row. Great, let's do it! Let's get you up on the stage!

We're doing this again. Last time we got a sweet TM in Return for beating Justy, so let's see what we get this time.

Oh good, the trainer levels are around when we first arrived in Phenac. Cool.

Though we're now seeing more and more evolved Pokemon at least.

Alright, some of his Pokemon will survive a few hits. What are they up to today?

Thank god I just got Aerial Ace. I also have Shock Wave, so I'm not worried about Double Team in the slightest.

The fact that dril had worse moves than Pursuit really shows how things started for him.

Are you going to do anything else?

No? Okay.

Don't make their strategies seem useful.

Well that was four battles in a row I did.

Great, let's do it! Let's get up on stage! Are you ready? Here we come!

Trainer Battle

Hey those aren't bad levels, this should be something good. I say as I knock out half his team on the first turn.

The Sandstorm from Nosepass is inevitable and Gligar doesn't really care about both Aerial Ace and Shock Wave, alas.

Nosepass is easy enough, but there's something about Gligar that always finds holes in my team I didn't realise I had.

Oh, uh, okay. No healing items and every single trainer in here just used Double Team and nothing else. Cooooooooooool.

Hahaha. It's been five years since I lost like this. I'd like you to have these as something to remember our battle by.

Battling you was a very meaningful experience for me. I'm sure I'll be looking back on our battle and relishing its memory for some time. Thank you.

Wouldn't it be cool if Double Team was postgame instead of Return? Well anyway, while we wait for wild Pokemon to appear, let's head towards some plot or something I guess.

Cipher Key Lair

...HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN HERE?

See? He doesn't know either! It's bringing tears to my eyes! Hey, we should go. We should leave this to GONZAP.

Be quiet! We've finally managed to track down CIPHER, haven't we? We're not just leaving now! Hey, you, big lunk! We have business in that building! Stand aside if you don't want to get hurt!

Lunk?! You're calling the dashing and terrific MR. ZOOK a lunk? How dare you! Grrrrr! You're not getting away with this!

Hmm, I wonder how this will go.

Hah, like you had a chance against a Shadow Pokemon we're about to fiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuck

WAKIN must have reached the hideout by now and given that SNAG MACHINE to GONZAP.

Hey, you want more of where that came from?

Ugh...

We'll pull back and regroup! Let's get back to the hideout!

Wait a second! You're that brat who was at GATEON PORT! What are you doing here?! You're nothing but bad news! Ever since I saw you, I've had nothing but the worst luck! First, at GATEON PORT, some guy challenged me to a battle out of the blue and promptly stomped me flat. Then GORIGAN gave me one major dressing-down for showing off SHADOW POKEMON without permission. Because of that, he made me stand guard here as punishment. There's one thing I can't figure out, though. How'd GORIGAN ever find out about me anyway? Gaaah! Remembering that is getting me riled! This time, I'll flatten you!

That sure was his life's story there. Hey wait isn't Zangoose a-

Why you do this game? Why?

This will NOT count as a reset, since no matter what you do, you cannot catch Zangoose now. So I also won't go over it. SIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Overall Zook ain't that tough. Since we'll obviously fight him again, I won't make a little graphic until then either. Yay putting things off for my future self to deal with.

Because you fluked out! You only won because you got lucky! That's got to be the answer! I won't battle you again. If you win by a fluke again, my reputation will take a beating! Get lost, punk! If I, the mighty ZOOK, get serious, you'll be crushed in no time!

drat, it's a shame I'm just a small boy and have nothing that can help me get past two guys. Let's get out of here.

If this is another missing Pokemon... oh wait it's Secc, never mind.

I see... it was TEAM SNAGEM's doing. It's not surprising that they wanted your SNAG MACHINE. Up to five years ago, TEAM SNAGEM was in partnership with CIPHER. But when they lost their SNAG MACHINE, CIPHER gave them up as a lost cause. I thought TEAM SNAGEM folded after that... they must have spotted your SNAG MACHINE somewhere. Oh, my... I'll start investigating TEAM SNAGEM right away. I'll let you know as soon as we discover anything.

We debated sending out a news team immediately, but there's no guarantee that it won't be a trap or another risky situation. I hate to impose, but could you go and investigate for us, DAVID? Thank you. We know that you can be entrusted with this, DAVID. The man who contacted us is named HORDEL. He said he'll be at the OUTSKIRT STAND.

It's where we started and ended the last game, so what's there for us now?

Outskirt Stand

Oh I'm liking this place already.

I worry about my future, you know? Maybe I really need to consider changing my lifestyle.

Now what are you going on about, FOLLY? You're not your usual self. Don't tell me you've forgotten the boss's dream? We're going to own all the POKEMON in the whole wide world.

Well, that's what I'm talking about...

Achoo! Achoo!

Oh! Boss!

Miror B.'s Theme

Oh? Well, if it isn't the super-aggravating little boy who served me up a bitter memory at the POKE SPOT!

For a little exercise after my meal, I'll wipe you out with my elegant steps! Let the music play!

Miror B. Battle

Blessed be us for another encounter. He will never leave our hearts.

His team is a bit dril weak, but because he has a Shadow Pokemon that we, yet again, cannot obtain, it means we'll have to fight him again eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

And he even has a Ludicolo! It has been too long my friend!

But yeah, nothing particularly exciting.

Best Wishes! Until the day we meet again!

ONBS News

It is unclear as to how the ship was transported to the desert, however. CIPHER's motives for taking the ship are also unknown. Unfortunately, there was no sign of the numerous POKEMON aboard the ship. Concern is rising for their safety and welfare.

Outskirt Stand

You see, I fled from CIPHER's KEY LAIR way in the north. Oh? You know that place? Wow, you people at ONBS sure get information quickly. The KEY LAIR is a factory. It was made to mass-produce SHADOW POKEMON. When I discovered that, I was horrified. I came to hate my job, so I escaped. When I fled, I managed to spirit away just one SHADOW POKEMON. But even then, there were already many SHADOW POKEMON. I'm sure they've produced even more since then. While I was with CIPHER, there were rumours about a boy who snags SHADOW POKEMON and purifies them. Might that person be you? If so, I have a giant favor to ask of you. Would you purify the SHADOW TOGEPI that I fled from CIPHER with?

Okay, there you go. Please purify my little guy for me. Besides my little guy, there were many POKEMON that had been turned into SHADOW POKEMON at CIPHER's KEY LAIR. In my desperation to flee, I wasn't able to save other POKEMON... it still gnaws at my conscience, wondering what became of the other POKEMON. If only there were some way of saving them!

Togepi, Gift, starting moves: Shadow Rave/Follow Me, Shadow Shed/Tri Attack, Ancientpower, Helping Hand

Hey just because we don't have the Snag Machine doesn't mean we can't get new Shadow Pokemon! You shouldn't use Togepi, since obviously we're gonna give it back to Hordel, but also because, like the Togetic we got at the end of last game and like the e-Reader postgame Togepi, it's just not a good Pokemon, even if it gets much better moves this time around. Happiness evolutions are a thing, but Togepi starts pretty low to reach the magic 220 friendship and aside from the Soothe Bell and Scents, there's not an easy way to increase happiness in these games.

Buuuuuuuuut, if not using Togekiss appeals to you for some reason, then I guess it's alright. 80 SpAtk is actually something and it has some alright defenses and immune to Earthquake, so sure, it'll learn every special move you can think of. Give it some screens and even Seismic Toss and you'll have a cute egg that can actually weirdly fight. And Helping Hand to be more supportive. You will miss out on STAB completely, but it's really for the best, since your array of special attacks will be much more preferable. But seriously, give it back to Hordel.

Oh yeah, there's also the new move Shadow RAAAAAAAVE which is a special 70BP move with 100% accuracy that hits both opponents. It's an upgrade to Shadow Wave and that's about it. Woo!

If you're going to stay on the road, you should stock up on supplies here. I've got a selection of POKEBALLS, too! For the longest time, POKEBALLS were just good for catching dust. They're selling again, thanks to wild POKEMON!

That's a good selection. Net Balls are almost cheating on all the various Water and Bug types we'll be catching (still plenty of those) and hey, Nest Balls are actually useful since there's still some Shadow Pokemon under level 30. Not many though, so they're still pretty pointless, but it's something okay. Timer Balls are going to be helpful as always, even if they take ages to get going.

I bet your POKEMON are outstanding, too, little guy. If the opportunity ever arises, I'd like to have a battle with you. Fu... though I doubt you could beat me.

Ah, north, of course. Uh, north where?

What's late game is early game for this game, but also, what's postgame is late game too. Or something.

You're the kid that sent CIPHER packing in PHENAC, aren't you? You were on TV. Hey, listen. Let's have a battle, you and me. Yeahah! That's the spirit! All right, all right. Over here, this way!

What a dork. I love him.

Willie Battle

This guy has never been strong, so let's not change that now.

Since dril is sucking up most of the exp, our team's levels are getting back to normal, kinda. How long will it last?

Eh, not long, he's nearly caught up.

Alright, that should about do it for this update, next time we'll be heading to the Snagem- hmm, the Spot Monitor just went off...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can't hate on Willie or that sick loving coffee shop. Rock on, my dude.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Since you asked how long that giant pyramid has been there, let's talk for a bit about the Pokemon XD demo.

In it, Micheal, Krane, and one more scientist (sorry, my memory's spotty) investigate the recently discovered Cipher Key Lair early on.
The first person they encounter is a just-recruited Thug Zook, who just got his Shadow pokemon (which isn't Zangoose. The pokemon he got here was given to someone else in the actual game). Of course, his level 28-30 team is no match for Micheal's Level 40 Parasect and Kirlia.
After heading inside, they start investigating the first floor. However, Micheal is too polite to ignore the confused workers' instructions to stay away from the staircases they're standing nearby. There is one apparently unguarded staircase...
Which leads to your first encounter with a ceiling PeonSpy. (Our heroes do not yet know that they're dealing with Cipher.) This trainer, title aside, is exactly the same in the actual game.
After that, cut to Crane rejoining you at a different stairwell, where he says that this has turned out to be much bigger and worse than he thought, so they're going to withdraw to prepare for a future raid...

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 16, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think I'm done with my current playthrough of XD.
I just got so disgusted when I wanted to use a Pineco then looked up it's moves.
Then I did the same thing with a Trapinch I was leveling for 15 levels.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alright, time to catch up on the thread and see what I

missed? :stare:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Tri-Attack Togekiss was a neat little oddity in Gens 4 and 5, being an 80 power STAB special attack that has a 40% chance to Burn, Paralyze, or Freeze thanks to Serene Grace, which is pretty nice. One downside is that while Tri-Attack is a nice attack, STAB Air Slash allows you similar type coverage and a 60% flinch rate. Additionally, Normal and Flying moves are resisted by both Rock and Steel, so Tri-Attack is only useful over Air Slash against enemy Electric types.

The other downside is that Tri-Attack is incompatible with Nasty Plot, and also the simple fact that RNGing Gale of Darkness is a massive pain in the rear end that's only recently been (sort of) solved, so getting Tri-Attack Togekiss meant getting it the old-fashioned way: reset a whole bunch and pray for a good nature+IVs.

Then Gen 6 changed Togekiss from Normal/Flying to Fairy/Flying, which removed STAB from Tri-Attack. Welp, Air Slash it is.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alright, time to catch up on the thread and see what I

missed? :stare:
Kaminko and Chobin may have created many terrible and useless inventions, but Robo Groudon is loving amazing and I will hear no argument on this fact.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 17, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tri-Attack is such an interesting move to give someone and I wish the game did more of that and less of Refresh

also the giant pyramid lair is such a cool set piece

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I had no idea there was even a demo for this game. Shame it wasn't included into the plot, since after the Shadow Lab Prof. Krane just disappears from the plot. Good thing Cipher didn't go back to kidnap him again!

I also never realised that Tri Attack Togekiss was only possible because of these games. I guess like with Wish Chansey it wasn't a big deal because everything was hacked anyway so you didn't have to deal with the hassle of a competitively viable Shadow Togepi.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Course 6: Battle CD Selection 2

Battle Sim

Let's see what crazy creations we've got this time.

Reward: Paralyz Heal

Interesting, interesting. You can probably see is how this one goes.

Missing Egg Bomb aside, you just need to survive the punch onslaught. It's probably worth using Protect for Ice Punch, since you lose if you get frozen. As well as paralyzed, but you can't use Protect for that.

Because of that. Hi Jump Kick's recoil up Gen 5 was half of the damage it would've done, yowch. Easy enough, what's next?

Reward: Ice Heal

So what moves should we use to win? Again, Speed tiers are key.

Since Primeape is just faster than Pikachu, we need to slow it down.

So Pikachu can get this off.

Snorlax is solidly annihilated in two hits, so if only there was a way to restore health.

Hey, we barely survive and take it out. Remember, Wish will heal half of the user's HP, regardless of who used the move, otherwise it would've only healed around 48HP, instead of 110.

Reward: Super Potion

This looks miserable. And you're right, it is.

The name of this game is to fish for a +6 Slash crit, since that'll ignore all Barrier boosts.

Hopefully that happens before you get slowly worn down by Acid, especially if it keeps lowering your Defense.

Still, with +2 crit, it's a 25% chance each time, so you should get it eventually.

Reward: Full Heal

Seems easy enough!

This is a great example of the AI, as Aggron will always attack Clefairy.

So on turns where Clefable is not using Follow Me to draw attacks, Clefairy has to Protect, since Clefable will never be targetted otherwise.

So even with all the Protects and Moonlights (which restores 2/3rds health in sun), you'll have enough sun turns to take Aggron down. It would be nice if Aggron missed an Iron Tail!

Alright fine then.

Reward: Full Heal

x6

Take out six Pokemon in one turn? Is that even possible???

Annoying, but Cacturne did all it needed to and the 4x weakness is too much for the AI to ignore.

So Magcargo can finish the setup. You can guess what'll happen next.

They should've sent a poet.

Reward: Hyper Potion

Looks easy enough, but of course there's a catch.

Alright, now we're faster than Swellow. We should attack, right?

Hold up there friend, you don't want it getting a Salac boost also! I wouldn't be surprised if Megahorn dealt just enough damage to Swellow that it still activated the berry anyway, so just don't try anything.

Okay now you can kill it.

Hmm, pretty simple one here, since Sharpedo can't be damaged in any way.

This does require a couple turns of set up, so hopefully it all goes well.

Even if Sharpedo gets a 2 turn Thrash and becomes confused, Own Tempo will cure it of that by the end of the turn. Neat, huh?

Now while Sharpedo has fun, Misdreavus can weaken the opponents, though it's a bit tricky since you don't choose what Thrash targets. So if you Pain Split a Slow that just took damage, it won't be very helpful.

But it's whatever if Misdreavus faints now.

Reward: Burn Heal

We've almost got a proper team here. Note the Speed tiers again.

The opponents won't be doing much aside from annoying us, so how can we take them all down in two turns?

You can probably guess how.

Well that's two of them down and Rhydon was able to somehow survive that!

But the tricky part of the strategy is realising you need the slower Rhydon to use Flamethrower on the first turn on Golem, who is replaced by Flareon in time to be hit by it. I'll admit, might not have figured that one out by myself.

Swellow is a red, uh, swallow since it can't do anything to Gengar, while a Flash Fire boosted Overheat is the only thing that knocks out Gengar in one hit. Unless you crit, in which case you can ignore the entire strategy, I GUESS.

Reward: Mental Herb

I hope you weren't doing anything soon, cause this is a long one.

By alternating between Substitute and Protect, we'll be able to PP stall this Kyogre to DEATH.

By alternating in such a way, you'll have just enough health to make your last sub and then Rest up when Kyogre can only use Double-Edge.

Now we can start wearing down Kyogre, however I got an unlucky crit here. It's not the end of the world, I just need to use Rest earlier than I wanted to.

Then when I wake, I'm not confident I can knock out Kyogre with an Ancientpower, so it's back to sleep again. Bit annoying, but hey, we still won!

Reward: Timer Ball

You remember what the Conversion moves do?

We'll need to use this otherwise dead turn to set up.

Conversion2 turns you into a type that resists the last move you were hit by, so it could've changed Porygon2 into a Rock, Steel or Ghost type.

And now for the final piece of the puzzle.

Dusclops barely survives this Selfdestruct, so you need to attack it beforehand, but otherwise Porygon2 will survive.

Reward: Timer Ball

These two will have to defuse a bomb? Well, if you say so.

Well I see one way to defuse it, but how to make it happen...

So the name of the game is to weaken both Xatu and Ariados to the point where you can knock them out in the same turn.

...if that doesn't happen, Electrode comes out and you loving die.

But if you do get it right, then it's smooth sailing.

Bomb defused bitches.

Psyduck does sweet gently caress all, so it's easy enough to take out.

Reward: Revive

There's a lot of moving parts in this one, so how exactly are we gonna win this?

That is quite the team to take out in 5 turns. To begin with, we don't have any way to take down Shedinja as is, nor anything that really does a lot of damage to Shuckle. It's definitely tricky.

First thing is surviving Selfdestruct, which is easy enough by swapping out Linoone for Dusclops.

Now we need to bring Aggron out, so Alakazam needs to go down.

Then we need to Imprison the opponent so Gengar can't go for Mean Look or Protect.

This forces Gengar to explode. We need Dusclops to Protect anyway so Shedinja doesn't hit it with Shadow Ball. Yet.

Remember Aggron, it went for Counter on that Explosion, so this is how we knock Shuckle out when it gets sent out after Gengar. But what to do about Shedinja?

Now Aggron can Mimic it, so it has Shadow Ball. Dusclops can do whatever, it can be taken down by Shedinja so it keeps using Shadow Ball and nothing else.

Linoone is here too, I guess. And that's how we take everyone down in 5 turns. Did this without a guide, totally.

Oh? Now this is something we have to explore in full detail. In fact, it's getting its own update. Which means this one is over. See ya!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

There are definitely some fun interactions in these, we're definitely into the clever puzzles now!

I like the Clefairy/Clefable one for forcing you to be clever with Follow Me (does anyone use that move outside of these?), and the Shedinja one is silly fun just for how absurd it is.

The Explosion/Flash Fire trick is really sneaky, that one definitely took me a few tries to work out. The turn limit gimmick really lets them rely on some interesting tricks, it's a good way of forcing the player to pay attention to what order things are happening, when pokemon are entering the battlefield, and how you can take advantage of that (whether it's with Flash Fire, or using Counter on Explosion...).

Your update really sells short just how loving miserable the Metronome one is, I think it took me something like 20 tries when I did this. It's awful and the odds are stacked against you because Cleffa and Togepi both have absolute garbage for stats (especially in comparison to the attack on Machop and Geodude). Did you really get through it in only two attempts? (That clutch Magical Leaf was really lucky!)

The worst thing about the Metronome one is that the reward for completing all the CDs is pretty good, so in a sense the game actually punishes you for doing the fun ones and avoiding this misery. At least you're done with it now!

To completely change the subject, I also wanted to say something about the Tri Attack Togekiss thing, because that's always intrigued me; it's an interesting gimmick and it's appeared absolutely nowhere else. It's also weird because XD really doesn't want you to keep that Togepi - you can give it back to Hordel once it's purified for an ingame trade, which gives you an Elekid that knows four egg moves (though unlike Tri Attack on Togepi, none of those moves were exclusive to XD). Except... you can also give him a different Togepi, if you trade one over from a GBA game, and if you do that, the Elekid will have only level-up moves instead. (At least according to Bulbapedia, I've never tested this.) I actually think that's a cute touch (he wants his Togepi, not just any old Togepi), except that it's not very nice to give players an exclusive thing and then immediately ask for it back. Then again, it's not exactly news that Game Freak wants completionists to suffer ;)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

They really make you use moves that you wouldn't use otherwise, huh? I don't think I've ever seen Imprison used seriously, for example. Pretty neat ideas here, all around.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Explopyro posted:

There are definitely some fun interactions in these, we're definitely into the clever puzzles now!

I like the Clefairy/Clefable one for forcing you to be clever with Follow Me (does anyone use that move outside of these?), and the Shedinja one is silly fun just for how absurd it is.

Follow Me actually does see a fair amount (or used to, haven't seen much recent gen 7 stuff) of use in the official competitive scene, since doubles is the default format. Being able to redirect attacks is pretty important.
Never ever forget our friend, VGC 2014 world champion Pachirisu

(source: http://1212m.tumblr.com/post/95181457760 )

It's Quash, After You & Me First that no one uses

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

As a side note, I'm glad you're continuing to use PNGs for the updates. It may not be strictly necessary for a 3D game, but it makes the number-heavy screenshots like the latest update look much nicer.

And oh man, I remember that Metronome vs Metronome battle. That was a lot of fun, but I remember being a little annoyed that your opponents had just straight-up better stats, meaning you needed to be extra lucky with no way to help out. One funny option I thought of to fix that would be to go even more RNG, and have a small randomized pool of Pokemon that you and your opponent randomly select.

rannum posted:

It's Quash, After You & Me First that no one uses
I used Me First on Mewtwo a bit in-game as an Elite 4 cleaner. Probably not the most optimal way to clean out opposing Pokemon, but Mewtwo's got the raw stats to make any move at 150% power a force to be reckoned with. Especially against Dragon types.

Competitively (or even in-game on something that doesn't have Mewtwo's stats, to be honest), yeah it's kinda lacking.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I didn't remember that Shedinja one. lol that's amazing, I love it. I forgot how imaginative some of these scenarios are, and I wish mainline games had similar things, because it'd be a helpful teaching tool for competitive play. Learning, hey, this seemingly useless move might have a specific use! Or, hey, sometimes it's to your advantage to let one of your Pokemon get knocked out! Or in doubles, very rarely, for one of your Pokemon to attack the other.

I'm just imagining a Pyukumuku-centered Battle CD now. :3:

• Locked thread