Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

It’s stupid and dumb and will absolutely be used to gate films that the Academy doesn’t see as “traditional” Best Picture material away from the category *cough*Black Panther*cough*.

THAT SAID

It will be frigging amazing that Fast 9 will be able to say that it is an Oscar Winner.

They are going to have to bend over backwards to make the criteria. The instant a best picture nominee gets into the popcorn Oscar race, it will win instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It bothers me that for being experienced bartenders neither Sam, Coach nor Woody know how to pour a beer so it isn’t half head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1027347237431431169?s=12

Sign my petition to make him do it as Jean Ralphio

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I started watching Better Call Saul a few days ago. I'm enjoying this a lot more than Breaking Bad, if for no other reason than it's not a constant spiral of misery. More Mike is always good too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though for the most part, I think the Jimmy storylines are way, way better than the Mike storylines.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm enjoying this a lot more than Breaking Bad, if for no other reason than it's not a constant spiral of misery.
Give it time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Though for the most part, I think the Jimmy storylines are way, way better than the Mike storylines.

This is very true, although in season 1 it's not so much the case. And imo it's more that the Jimmy storylines get better and better whereas the Mike ones just stay on the same level.

I'm so used to how good Saul is now that I completely forget just what a minor miracle it is and how skeptical people were before it started. Even though I don't quite agree, I can totally see why people prefer it to Breaking Bad, especially if you prefer the style. It's like the Mad Men to BB's Sopranos. Well maybe that's not a perfect analogy but

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Yeah, Mike in BCS is good but I agree.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think BB was a much more viscerally exciting and daring show than BCS, but the character work on the latter is ten times better than the former. BB until season 3 was pretty much just Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul doing the heavy lifting, whereas the supporting cast in Saul (everyone that isn't Jimmy and Mike) has all had great moments. Also Kim Wexler is the best.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched most of the first two seasons and I don't really get the brother's epilepsy thing or whatever and the scenes are getting really annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a real thing* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

*by which I mean a real psychological disorder

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Terminator robots can be sensitive to electromagnetic fields. Yes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

It’s stupid and dumb and will absolutely be used to gate films that the Academy doesn’t see as “traditional” Best Picture material away from the category *cough*Black Panther*cough*.

THAT SAID

It will be frigging amazing that Fast 9 will be able to say that it is an Oscar Winner.

I'm kind of of two minds about this now. Yeah it's a bullshit award, but they give out best picture to some real turds sometimes so even their gatekeeping isn't consistent.

So it makes absolute sense for Disney. They keep putting out Marvel movies that are thoroughly fine, but they'll never win best picture unless you change what that is to be highest grossing or you democratize oscar voting. Disney made a shocking 6 of the top 7 highest grossing movies of this year so far and they'd like a shiny little gold man for one of them that isn't made by Pixar.

I don't think that makes them necessarily good, that isn't really the point. I don't think the F&F movies are good either, but I loving love them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope this is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4ECRmZzqM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting, though, that since at least the 1970s, far more Best Picture winners were in the top 10 highest-grossing movies of the year than were not. That's only stopped being the case in the past 15 years or so.

For example, Best Picture winners from 1970 to 1979 that were in the top five for their respective release years were Patton, The French Connection, The Sting, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky and Kramer vs Kramer and that's more than half. The three remaining winners (The Godfather Part II, Annie Hall and The Deer Hunter) were all in the top 10.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 9, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_(entertainment)#Blockbuster_era

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

If you want Guy Pearce, look for Jack Irish which should be on netflix in a ton of regions. A series of telemovies made over the past decade and then two follow on seasons of a tv show where he's a private investigator slash debt collector.

The second season is airing now in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Irish

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Even so, there wasn't a really big break between what made the most money and what won the big awards until the early 2000s. The last movies that won Best Picture which were also in the top 10 movies the years they came out were Gladiator and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Gladiator and the Lord of the Rings are outliers, but they also have certain characteristics that academy voters love, the former being a royal family drama disguised as Roman historical fiction and the latter being an David Lean style adaptation of some of the most popular books of the 20th century.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I legit thought Ruby Rose was great in John Wick 2, so I'm a little surprised at all the hate in here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The new In Search Of... with Zachary Quinto is the worst fake/low effort "documentary" show I've ever seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Well no that's Caity Lotz, but luckily she's busy.

Lotz is great on Legends of Tomorrow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wormil posted:

The new In Search Of... with Zachary Quinto is the worst fake/low effort "documentary" show I've ever seen.

I wasn't aware this existed until now, but I want to give a small golf clap to the producer that suggested Quinto.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I wasn't aware this existed until now, but I want to give a small golf clap to the producer that suggested Quinto.

Excited for his next role as the narrator of the next Civ game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
His music career is really where it's gonna be at.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They call him Frodo! Frodo Baggins!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean they're finally gonna reboot Seaman

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the Baffled! reboot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So far I'm liking Rebecca more than Diane because at least she's not as stunningly insane and dangerously stupid as her

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a half-hour scripted comedy from Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, Variety has learned.

The series is set in a video game development studio, with McElhenney also attached to star in addition to writing and executive producing alongside Day. The series marks the duo’s first collaboration as writers since “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” McElhenney co-created “It’s Always Sunny” with both he and Day starring and serving as executive producers on that show.

Too many loving streaming services now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I’m done. I got Netflix and amazon and my cable. That’s all I’m paying for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus Christ. ‘I Am A Killer’ on Netflix is basically the documentary version of Mindhunter. Sorry, Netflix this is not bingeable material. One episode and I’m done for the night.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

The series marks the duo’s first collaboration as writers since “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

So, their first collaboration since the season coming out next month.

Also, this is gonna be on Apple. a provider who's stated they plan on doing PG at worst. Not a good fit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 2 teaser: https://youtu.be/GCd29Yq4HXU

Still no release date other than ‘later this year’

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It don't matta, one minute of short clips from that show is better than most cable-network seasons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Gimme

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Cloak and Dagger is pretty good; it picks up around episode 3 and keeps building from there. I like that the main characters don't have much typical teen tv drama BS, and what little there is actually serves the plot.

Halfway though "The Lotus Eaters" episode. I'm a sucker for a good time loop story and Dad Joke Hess is great.

Overall I'd definitely rate it above The Gifted and Runaways (bailed on that after 2 episodes), and some of the more middling Netflix seasons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

The anticipation is killin me

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

feedmyleg posted:

Might have been Quinto, he's listed as one of the producers. The first ep he interviews an "experiencer" or abductee that tells a story then fails the polygraph and is like, "Sorry I wasted your time." Then some guy who claims to be a chemist says he removed from his toe, a meteorite that sends radio signals. They send it to a forensics lab, it's a piece of steel with dirt on it. There is some cool stuff about SETI. Then they dangle Quinto in a pool of water so he can experience the feeling of being abducted. It's unintentionally hilarious, but in a sad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is original BSG from 1978?