Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

lizardman posted:

Making movies is cheaper and easier than ever and is only going to get more so. I really think we're only a few years away from people being able to record home videos from their phones that look like slick Ridley Scott movies and create custom home-made CGI footage from software as ubiquitous as Photoshop. In fact if anything I'm kind of disquieted at the idea of the barriers to entry for filmmaking becoming extremely low. Imagine your neighbor telling you "Oh hey my 10-year-old just made his first movie, some big fantasy Lord of the Rings spectacle thing. It's up on Netflix if you're interested."

You won't want for interesting movies, I don't think. They might not get to theaters, though. I see a future where the mainstream blockbusters get even bigger and more mainstream and safer while there are literally thousands of indie movies that are increasingly weirder and target extremely specific niche audiences that sometimes number in the hundreds that are all exclusively streaming or limited edition collector's box sets for $80 or something.

Tangerine was Oscar nominated and it was literally shot on an iPhone.

Tangerine is loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brotato
May 14, 2013
I liked this movie but I didn't realize all the satanism stuff was supposed to be taken literally.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

brotato posted:

I liked this movie but I didn't realize all the satanism stuff was supposed to be taken literally.

Don't let anybody tell you how literally you're supposed to take things, particularly Satanism stuff in movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Satan is all in their/your head and also real

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

brotato posted:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

brotato posted:

I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I don't recall Satan being brought up in the movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was about PaiMon, the Jamaican loan shark

brotato
May 14, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Why would it be?

Everything felt pretty consistent with schizophrenic delusions/paranoia. The weird religious symbolism, everything manifesting after a traumatic incident, the random members of the community "stalking" and manipulating them, the fact that no one else but the mom and kids seem to see the paranormal stuff made it seem like none of the demons and possession was real. The ending struck me as a final, reality breaking delusion fabricated by peter.

I was just surprised to see that online everyone thought the demons were real and even the director wanted us to take that seriously. I don't watch a lot of horror tho so maybe that's why I thought it was so weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

brotato posted:

Why would it be?

Everything felt pretty consistent with schizophrenic delusions/paranoia. The weird religious symbolism, everything manifesting after a traumatic incident, the random members of the community "stalking" and manipulating them, the fact that no one else but the mom and kids seem to see the paranormal stuff made it seem like none of the demons and possession was real. The ending struck me as a final, reality breaking delusion fabricated by peter.

I was just surprised to see that online everyone thought the demons were real and even the director wanted us to take that seriously. I don't watch a lot of horror tho so maybe that's why I thought it was so weird.

I dunno, that just seems like such a literal interpretation, and it makes it messier than it needs to be (and already is). The film says what it needs to about hereditary mental issues via its own internal mythology, there's no reason for an interlocutor when the film itself is presenting us with a metaphor.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

veni veni veni posted:

It was about PaiMon, the Jamaican loan shark

Veni veni veni, I expel you for this post!

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

brotato posted:

Why would it be?

Everything felt pretty consistent with schizophrenic delusions/paranoia.
I love how the movie sets you up to think this way and then takes a hard left turn into the supernatural. I feel like this is a movie targeted at horror fans/cinephiles in general. It toys with your expectations first by presenting a well developed mental illness narrative, and then by doubling down on "nope nobody's crazy hell is real."

The craftsmanship is superb and the movie succeeds as a family drama, psych thriller, and satanic horror piece by executing each bit masterfully.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are still select images from this movie stored in my mind for the worst possible times

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are still select images from this movie stored in my mind for the worst possible times

Same. It’s given me a whole new catalog of things to imagine seeing in dark corners when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
When I was a kid, I slept in a room where the closet was at the foot of my bed. I had to always keep it shut at night otherwise I couldn't sleep with even a crack of the darkness of the closet visible because of how easy it was to imagine something lurking and peeking out of there.

Needless to say this movie hosed my poo poo up and I, a grown rear end man with a career and retirement portfolio etc., had trouble walking between rooms in my apartment with the lights off at night for like four days lol.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Paimon wasn't made up for this movie, although the 'male host' bit was. He's a demon from the Lesser Key of Solomon, a compilation of magical texts made between the 14th and 16th centuries. The symbol that shows up associated with the cult is actually his seal as illustrated in the book.

It's not really linked to modern ideas of Satanism in any way, and is closer to older European (and other) ideas of magic where the magic is basically about the proper ways to ask/compel powerful/spiritual beings to do stuff for you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Henchman of Santa posted:

loving naked wicca boomer lookin asses

man what the hell

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nitevision posted:

When I was a kid, I slept in a room where the closet was at the foot of my bed. I had to always keep it shut at night otherwise I couldn't sleep with even a crack of the darkness of the closet visible because of how easy it was to imagine something lurking and peeking out of there.

Needless to say this movie hosed my poo poo up and I, a grown rear end man with a career and retirement portfolio etc., had trouble walking between rooms in my apartment with the lights off at night for like four days lol.

you know what's hereditary for me?

yer retirement portfolio :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ay for real is the clicking sound a thing paimon was said to in Ye Olde Texte or just a branding for the movie ala snapping your fingers westside story style

Tenzarin posted:

Kinda strange to let an old lady breast feed the child. Really the whole movie could of been solved just with some common sense.

annie should have called the cops on their witch asses. white people love snitchin, it's what they do best

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 11, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Snitches get witches

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Alan Smithee posted:

annie should have called the cops on their witch asses. white people love snitchin, it's what they do best

annie not calling the cops is how i knew the movie was fiction and not a documentary.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

This is a genuinely disturbing, uncomfortable film. Magnificently atmospheric and creepy, with fantastically fleshed-out and believable characters culminating in an experience that made me feel absolutely sick to my stomach and unable to look away. A seriously tense examination of guilt, blame, psychopathy and the looming fear that you've hurt the people closest to you in ways you can't atone for.

For about an hour and forty five minutes

then it became about summoning the loving devil.

Seriously, the ending of the film is so loving silly compared to the rest of it they had to go with atonal credits music because it was impossible to play straight. Overall I really enjoyed the movie still, but everything that made it feel special was in the first 70%.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mental issues and loss are hell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Mental issues and loss are hell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Seriously, the ending of the film is so loving silly compared to the rest of it they had to go with atonal credits music because it was impossible to play straight. Overall I really enjoyed the movie still, but everything that made it feel special was in the first 70%.

i think putting it in the treehouse was weird

like what is this

a treehouse club

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it's a safe place for Charlie.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm fine with the supernatural/satan stuff because along with the dollhouse images it reinforces the idea that the mental illnesses people inherit from their hosed up families are largely out of their control. Everyone in this movie is being manipulated by another force.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:kiss:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Elderbean posted:

I'm fine with the supernatural/satan stuff because along with the dollhouse images it reinforces the idea that the mental illnesses people inherit from their hosed up families are largely out of their control. Everyone in this movie is being manipulated by another force.

Which is VERY SUBTLY hinted at when characters in the movie y’all about other fictional characters whose lives are out of their control, and agree that that’s very tragic

(I promise I did like this movie, I just think that the shift towards the end comes at the expense of some more interesting stuff and they could have combined the two)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Alan Smithee posted:

i think putting it in the treehouse was weird

like what is this

a treehouse club

CelticPredator posted:

it's a safe place for Charlie.

It's basically turns out to be a chapel in the end, a chapel of eeeeeeeeeeeevil.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Calico Heart posted:

This is a genuinely disturbing, uncomfortable film. Magnificently atmospheric and creepy, with fantastically fleshed-out and believable characters culminating in an experience that made me feel absolutely sick to my stomach and unable to look away. A seriously tense examination of guilt, blame, psychopathy and the looming fear that you've hurt the people closest to you in ways you can't atone for.

For about an hour and forty five minutes

then it became about summoning the loving devil.

I get you, it was a big tonal shift and almost funny but I think it really underscores the key theme of the film: the horror of realizing your life is at the mercy of outside forces. Things you don't understand and aren't even aware of. It's about fate and inexorable doom. Doesn't matter what you do, unseen masters are calling all the shots whether they be internal like inherited mental illness or a literal loving demon cult.

Flash
May 28, 2003

The 3 B's
Wow...what a strange and depressing movie this was....not sure on if I liked it or hated it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

After having watched this, I think I looked a lot like my own avatar.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How big was that tree house? Could they really not solve the who took two bodies out of cemetery in a few weeks?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
This is the only film of 2018 that I've seen twice. Still my favorite of the year by far.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Thinking on it again, was the iconography of the cult supposed to be slightly ironic? At the end, whats-her-face states that the cult reject the trinity, but their summoning 'circle' is a triangle, the symbol of Paiman is three people on a beast and at the end there are three decapitated women.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Samovar posted:

Thinking on it again, was the iconography of the cult supposed to be slightly ironic? At the end, whats-her-face states that the cult reject the trinity, but their summoning 'circle' is a triangle, the symbol of Paiman is three people on a beast and at the end there are three decapitated women.

I believe a lot of that comes from general demonic folklore of mocking the trinity by still using the triangle/three as a holy number and inverting it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will occasionally think of Gabriel Byrne "enough with this poo poo" performance in this movie and laugh to myself.

He's a totally underrated part of Hereditary.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Samovar posted:

Three is special\holy all over the world, in all sorts of systems. Rejecting the capital T Trinity is something specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alan Smithee posted:

ay for real is the clicking sound a thing paimon was said to in Ye Olde Texte or just a branding for the movie ala snapping your fingers westside story style

The clicking is a very distinct and memorable sound that very early learn to associate with a certain character which makes it spooky when you hear that sound once the character is dead.

All the witches are middle aged white people and you can't exactly call the cops and accuse someone of witchcraft. And even then she doesn't figure out the satanism angle until it's far too late to do anything about it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 11, 2018