Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Zombie Guy posted:

Are the starred loot items I get from Legendary enemies randomly generated? I'm assuming yes, since they mostly seem to have adjectives for the name, instead of a unique singular name.

I looted a .45 rifle off a raider that also did radiation damage, and it's bonus ability was stacking even more radiation damage on top. I upgraded a few parts, and christened it Ghoul Maker. It does a lovely job of taking out Mirelurks.

Yes. As a result, certain combinations are extraordinarily powerful (explosive combat shotgun, Instigating sniper weapons, etc.) and some are not (Instigating minigun, two-shot shotgun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Two shot shotgun should be absolutely fantastic except for the stupid accuracy debuff. Really annoyed that it isn't an exception.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There's also the problem that it doesn't double the number of projectiles fired, it just adds ONE more projectile that does as much damage as all the others combined, with a ~70% chance of firing out at 90 degrees from where you're aiming.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't the point about ulysses that his obsession with you might be entirely made up cos he's a nutter?

More that he's attaching outsize importance to what were to you fairly usual courier jobs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I mean, a courier who is known to peek inside the box probably isn't getting too many more jobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

There's also the problem that it doesn't double the number of projectiles fired, it just adds ONE more projectile that does as much damage as all the others combined, with a ~70% chance of firing out at 90 degrees from where you're aiming.

whaaaat that's dumb.

Cos the insane recoil on those would make them hilarious weapons if they worked properly.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Wait how does it kill mirelurks, aren't most animals immune to radiation damage?

I've been looking at the numbers beside the Rad icon in VATS. Ghouls have 1000, so I'm taking that as immunity. Mirelurks have been in the 40 range. Seems to do a good job of popping them with one or two shots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, maybe that's a horizon thing then, i thought it was basically all wildlife.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Bremen posted:

I would agree that New Vegas is more linear than FO4 (you're more or less guided on a certain path, with optional sidequests to your left and right, though it does open up more later). On rails can mean you don't have a lot of choices, though, and that's where New Vegas excels; there's dialog options and sometimes quest branches for just about everything you can think of. In FO4 you can go wherever, but when you get there it's mostly just a matter of doing whatever whoever's there tells you needs doing.

Just different ways of looking at it, I guess.

yeah i was using it mostly in reference to how the person i was responding to used it, fnv you can kind of gently caress off and do whatever at any point but there's definitely a clearly intended content path (goodsprings>primm>outpost>nipton>novac>etc) which establishes all the context each stop of the way for everything going on but its very much a Go This Way path with then vegas being the point where youre like okay ive got the gist of everything time to start loving around and seeing where i want to go with this after like 20 hours of looping around deathclaw/cazador central

like you can completely skimp your way past all that but those northern barriers for the straight shot to vegas are there in a place. like yeah its 2018 so everyone knows well you can just diagonal climb around black mountain to get to vegas but in 2010 most people probably went up the quarry way, died to a deathclaw, then went south to primm on a reload

again not saying this is a bad thing its why fnv kind of works as it does. without it most people would just head up north from goodsprings and most the establishing info would be lost on people. fo3 doesn't have any of this you're out of the vault and pretty much in the middle of the map and you can wander off in any direction (with the only clue being pointing you to megaton in the ruined suburb you emerge outside of)

fo4 is kind of weird cause the game is clearly trying to push you to diamond city asap while also throwing a ton of minutemen poo poo your way which i think was a bad misstep. subsequent playthroughs i don't fuss with factions until act 2 and it feels a lot more natural

The Zombie Guy posted:

I haven't been playing FO4 for long, but I have next to no interest in chasing after a baby that I have Zero personal investment in. Hell, dip that baby in FEV, and give me a super mutant sidekick, and I might be more interested in finding him.

amusingly this is what happens since synths are basically a perfected form of FEV turned into 3D printed humans. also why they're infertile. so when you find synth shaun he's basically FEV shaun

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 8, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

a primer on synths (though spoilered since we got some new people here apparently) institute roughly 100 years before fo4 basically gets its hands on vault 87 FEV from fo3, which they then start testing on institute members (swan), wastelanders, but run into the same problem The Master did that radiation fucks up the super mutant process, making them strong but dumb. they continue to refine this but never quite make the same breakthroughs (for whatever reason) the master does with super mutants. virgil being largely not irradiated keeps his intelligence for instance but he worries he'll lose the intelligence with time

the tie with vault 87 in the commonwealth comes from two things one the then bioscience director just kind of showing up 100 years prior with FEV and everyone is like ??? so it wasn't something the institute had all the time, but also ten years before virgil defected Dr. Zimmer of the SRB while in the capitol wasteland in fo3 sent back FEV samples and the institute determined this is no different than anything we already have. in fo3 east coast FEV is definitely laid out as a different strain, explaining the behemoth side effect. in fo3 mutants are mostly dumb dumbs with a few exceptions, in fo4 they're just kind of sort of dumb but much more cognizant in comparison which is probably reflective of institute refining though they never got to The Master levels and that kind of ties into this:

they mostly were dumping radiated wastelanders. anyone they snatched was from up top and in fo1/2 would end up being a dumb dumb. virgil kind of shows they were kind of getting if not there with the Masters refining if they had the sources The Master had but that then ties into the last thing

the institute didnt have the master plans in mind. what they did instead was raid vault 111, find shaun, with not just an non-irradiated background but a child, and use that as a blueprint to merge fev instead of an actual dipping process which honestly makes like a ton more sense and so you end up with gen 3 synths which are, in a weird way, much closer to what FEV was originally designed to combat as a general protection from crazy biological warfare

given this is robert house's alma mater kind of makes sense imo they kind of figured out this gordian knot

but in true fallout fashion they end up really missing the mark.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

2house2fly posted:

More that he's attaching outsize importance to what were to you fairly usual courier jobs

He can't handle that life can be random and cruel so he constructs grand narratives and straight up prophecy for every loving thing.

I like the option to talk him down but putting a fire axe through his skull is just as good.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think your misremembering some stuff, like a lot stuff, because I don’t recall reading anything like that both in or out of game. Like, at all.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Back Hack posted:

I think your misremembering some stuff, like a lot stuff, because I don’t recall reading anything like that both in or out of game. Like, at all.

Yeah, if there are terminals/conversations that back up some of that information it'd be great to know where. I assume somewhere in the institute.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MariusLecter posted:

He can't handle that life can be random and cruel so he constructs grand narratives and straight up prophecy for every loving thing.

I like the option to talk him down but putting a fire axe through his skull is just as good.

I wonder if it's relevant that his writer is more used to, or at least better known for, high fantasy and Star Wars which is fantasy with laser guns. Like, he's come from settings where prophecies and the bindings of Fate are a fact of everyday life, and here he finds himself in a setting where things just happen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

He doesn't outright say it, but it's how he behaves. He's got this really elaborate worldview where everything boils down to symbols and how people use them. He sees the war over the Mojave as "The Bear and the Bull" and attributes your actions to a specific side regardless of your reasoning or how neutral you are. It goes all the way back to his tribal heritage, finding symbolism in a hairstyle and then seeing the style copied without the meaning.

When Courier Six delivered a package that accidentally destroyed two towns, he's unable to see it for what it really was: a random mailman delivered a package without looking inside (like he's supposed to do). The delivery was so benign that the Courier completely forgot about it, just blending in with the dozens or hundreds of other regular deliveries they made in their career. But Ulysses latched onto Courier Six as the true cause of all of this pain and turned him into a major figure in his ultimate plan to destroy the symbols that he thinks are causing so much pain.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Back Hack posted:

sure here are some terminal entries

to be honest, vault 87 being the source is just a theory and never stated but it makes the most geographical sense and we already know the institute sends people down to the capitol wasteland from 3, where there's a big ol source of FEV (which fo3 establishes is a different strain from the west coast mariposa strain, mariposa mutants don't turn into behemoths over time because its a more stable variant). synths being a byproduct of FEV is clearly stated though:

terminal entry that over 100 years ago institute gets its hands on FEV (from somewhere). this is roughly 100 years after the war

the institute starts testing on its own population to begin with which we know from swan who was a janitor in the institute (no date but he's old enough to be a behemoth and this is before there are gen1 synths as janitors apparently so quite a long time ago). his peaking and then rapid deterioration seems to maybe line up with the fourteen day wall the vault 87 scientists run into with their strain of FEV, and swan mentions the FEV used on him seems to be "unstable"

terminal entry forty years after they started doing FEV experiments institute has turned to abducting people up top but they run into the same wall The Master did where radiation fucks up subjects exposed to FEV, also states that the FEV experiments are to explore synthetic organics. they come up with the plan to raid vault 111 to get a pre-war infant unexposed to radiation which then is how they kick off the gen 3 synth program

terminal entry from 2277 (same year as fallout 3) dr. zimmer who we know is in the capitol wasteland hunting down a courser that escaped orders some FEV tests and they just come back routine, possibly because the institute is just using the vault 87 strain

two terminal entries from virgil right before fo4 starts that mentions the synthetic organics program spun off from the FEV program decades ago (probably 50-60 years prior given shaun's age). he doesn't even see why they're still bothering with super mutant research since they've got gen 3 synths running around, which is what leads him to eventually go rogue

at this point the institute seems to have gotten as far as they can with super mutants. they're not as dumb as capitol wasteland super mutants, virgil seems to retain his intelligence at least for now, and they have an experimental cure for reverting the change but its pretty much a dead end in comparison to gen 3 synths who are immune to radiation/disease with none of the downsides

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

He doesn't outright say it, but it's how he behaves. He's got this really elaborate worldview where everything boils down to symbols and how people use them. He sees the war over the Mojave as "The Bear and the Bull" and attributes your actions to a specific side regardless of your reasoning or how neutral you are. It goes all the way back to his tribal heritage, finding symbolism in a hairstyle and then seeing the style copied without the meaning.

When Courier Six delivered a package that accidentally destroyed two towns, he's unable to see it for what it really was: a random mailman delivered a package without looking inside (like he's supposed to do). The delivery was so benign that the Courier completely forgot about it, just blending in with the dozens or hundreds of other regular deliveries they made in their career. But Ulysses latched onto Courier Six as the true cause of all of this pain and turned him into a major figure in his ultimate plan to destroy the symbols that he thinks are causing so much pain.

He's talking about synths, not ulysses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Whoops.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! One of my favorite RPG's is Alpha Protocol, so ''linear landscape where your choices have massive impact'' sounds fantastic. I also really like East Coast settings, so that should probably make New Vegas my first stop. Might get A Tale of Two Wastelands after that, if I feel like giving 3 a shot afterwards.

I'll let you guys know how it works out :clint:

New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are made by the same developer, so you'll probably love it.

As far as east coast muties go, the short answer is both CIT and Vault 87 got their hands on FEV strains before the war started. Both of these particular strands had the behemoth aberration where as a mutant grows older it gets bigger, and both strains tended to be rather dumb. Commonwealth mutants are smarter than Capitol Wasteland mutants and they have had reactions to different types of radiation that result in some oddities. There is a mutant living in far harbor who regained his intelligence thanks to either the radioactive fog or by drinking Vim soda. Commonwealth mutants also seem to be more articulate than Capitol mutants.
The institute made a fuckton of Commonwealth mutants before the program was shut down, so they aren't a constant threat the way the Vault 87 mutants are, since they are still dipping people in FEV while the institute moved onto the synth program.

On the west coast there are two types of mutants and two or three generations. You have standard Mariposa mutants and Nightkin, who are purple and blue rather than brown and green. First generation Mariposa mutants are highly intelligent but have odd growths on their upper lips for the most part, requiring straps so they can speak properly. Nightkin suffer from schizophrenia not as a result of their mutation but because of their use of stealth boys, which were calibrated for humans and not mutants. First generation mutants are smart because The Master was a genius consciousness who eliminated (most) of the flaws in the Mariposa FEV strain.
Second and third generation mutants on the west coast are considered dum-dums because they were made by accident. The enclave enslaved wastelanders and forced them to dig through the ruins of the Mariposa base for FEV, and in doing so hundreds of wastelanders were infected with an impure strain that made them super strong but dumb as bricks. The enclave did know how to utilize FEV properly, resulting in Frank Horrigan, a highly intelligent and super strong mutant encased in a custom suit of power armor.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 8, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

vault 87 is almost certainly where the mutants we've seen in fallout 76 are going to come from too since it's relatively close by WV

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which means that the V87 mutants have been around the longest. It's be nice if Bethesda did something with first generation V87 mutants being more cognisant and less moronic than their descendants.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah, i mean, i don't know if we'll get intelligent 1st gen super mutants like out on the west coast as that requires a sort of specific set of circumstances that super mutants just randomly dumping people into FEV would be unlikely to produce, but im guessing we'll get something a bit more like fo4's just moderately dumb mutants with some maybe intelligent mutant leaders rather than the absolute brain dead mutants in fo3

especially since bethesda seems to pretty consciously be pushing a retro throwback vibe for 76 to go along with its prequel status (t51 being the "signature" power armor for promotional stuff, the revival of the pip-boy 2000)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Even the mutants on the west coast were mostly dumb.

quote:

==0173 - 0198==
The few wanderers that have found their way here have been a disappointment to me. They can't seem to mutate correctly. The best I've been able to create are some big and dumb mutants. Most can recall nothing from before I initiated them into the wondrous Unity. I only feed on them for fuel, now. Their minds are nothing to me.

==0199 - 0236==
Oh glorious creator!! I have succeeded in spreading the complete joy of unification to another soul! Unlike the others, his total radiation count was low. I believe this is the factor we have been overlooking all this time, as it seems the conversion is more successful in the cases with less radiation damage. I have never known such glory as I felt when taking his mind into our own.

It's just that most of the ones you interact with, with the exception of Harry, were the leaders who retained their intelligence. On the east coast the intelligent ones like Leo and Fawkes were outcasts.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Todd Howard saying nobody will play anything else after Fallout 76 is something alright

And even that probably still isn't peak Todd speak

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Todd Howard saying nobody will play anything else after Fallout 76 is something alright

And even that probably still isn't peak Todd speak

No that's definitely not peak T. Howard Speak. I guarantee it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

You will never want to evacuate your bowels again because you'll have poo poo yourself for a lifetime over this game, FallOut Seventy-Six.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, today I had a day off. There's a summer storm raging, so I figured this would be the perfect moment to start my first run through New Vegas. At 13:00, Steam finished downloading the game. Figured I'd load up a few mods as well, since that's almost mandatory from what I understand.

So, now it's 21:23 and I think the game is in a state where it will actually launch. Ah, Bethesda...

(But seriously, crazy looking forward to this)

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, today I had a day off. There's a summer storm raging, so I figured this would be the perfect moment to start my first run through New Vegas. At 13:00, Steam finished downloading the game. Figured I'd load up a few mods as well, since that's almost mandatory from what I understand.

So, now it's 21:23 and I think the game is in a state where it will actually launch. Ah, Bethesda...

Best of luck to you, hope you don't get stuck in crash hell!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to gently caress up Communists over the Internet in Fallout 76.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I finished replaying fo3 last week and started out on NV this week. Spent at least two days modding and tweaking it and now have it running really well. Not a single crash after a few days play.

Kind of glad I sped run fo3 it was really boring me, however I'm really enjoying taking the scenic route and exploring everything in NV. Just hit Novac, but might head back to clear out powder gangers with NCR.

I've finished NV at least twice before, but I've never played any of the NV DLC. Any suggestions on a particular order and timing of when to do it? I just hit level 11

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tip 1: save before entering any DLC area (you'll get a pop-up notification). You can't leave once you've started (with the exception of Lonesome Road) and some of them are a bit... divisive, so it can be good to have that fallback button if you find you're not enjoying a particular adventure

Tip 2: do either Dead Money or Old World Blues to start with, then Honest Hearts, then the one you didn't do first. Do Lonesome Road last- in fact, do it at the very end of the game. Remember the mission you get to protect the president? Right after that mission, instead of reporting back to your questgiver, head into Lonesome Road.

Tip 3: Old World Blues is best done before level 30, as enemy HP scaling gets to be a bit much. The other ones are a bit better scaling-wise, but I'd definitely try and do at least DM and HH before level 40

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Minor tactics spoiler for Dead Money:

You'll have a much easier time if you invest some points into Unarmed or Melee before starting DM.

I loved all of the NV DLCs. Old World Blues gives you what I think is the best home base of any game I can think of.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, spend a few hours hanging around the starting area. My FPS seems stuck around 40 and the controls take some getting used to, but I also shot a bunch of gecko's, one lying rear end in a top hat and found four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Considering my character also wears an eye patch, I'd say we're off to a great start!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Tip 1: save before entering any DLC area (you'll get a pop-up notification). You can't leave once you've started (with the exception of Lonesome Road) and some of them are a bit... divisive, so it can be good to have that fallback button if you find you're not enjoying a particular adventure

Tip 2: do either Dead Money or Old World Blues to start with, then Honest Hearts, then the one you didn't do first. Do Lonesome Road last- in fact, do it at the very end of the game. Remember the mission you get to protect the president? Right after that mission, instead of reporting back to your questgiver, head into Lonesome Road.

Tip 3: Old World Blues is best done before level 30, as enemy HP scaling gets to be a bit much. The other ones are a bit better scaling-wise, but I'd definitely try and do at least DM and HH before level 40

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. thank you.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, spend a few hours hanging around the starting area. My FPS seems stuck around 40 and the controls take some getting used to, but I also shot a bunch of gecko's, one lying rear end in a top hat and found four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Considering my character also wears an eye patch, I'd say we're off to a great start!

You've obviously installed the stutter remover yes?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

You've obviously installed the stutter remover yes?

Stayed away from it since I heard it caused troubles with Windows 10's fall update, but am going to try adding it to the game tomorrow anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Stayed away from it since I heard it caused troubles with Windows 10's fall update, but am going to try adding it to the game tomorrow anyway.

Nah I'm on 10 with fall update, no issue at all.

oh and obviously mouse acceleration if you didn't turn that off already for the 'odd controls'

hambeet fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 10, 2018

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
My tip: you can disable vsync but limit your FPS to 60ish in Nvidia inspector (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) for much improved gunplay.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Smol posted:

My tip: you can disable vsync but limit your FPS to 60ish in Nvidia inspector (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) for much improved gunplay.

I never had any stutter issues with new vegas but this is by far the quickest and easiest way to make 4 playable on lower end systems so it makes sense it works in vegas too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don’t really do it to alleviate stutter but to reduce the input lag. Maybe I’ve been playing too much CSGO but these days I’m really sensitive to input lag in FPS games