Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yup, sounds like a cat all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Cat recently had an UTI..shes better now but decided pissing on everything is way better than the litter box. Any advice?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nascardad posted:

Cat recently had an UTI..shes better now but decided pissing on everything is way better than the litter box. Any advice?

Have you cleaned everywhere she's peed? If a place smells like pee, that's a big "keep peeing here" signal to cats. Enzyme cleaners like Nature's Miracle will remove the smell thoroughly enough to break that association.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
The vet strongly suspects my cat has dry FIP or lymphoma. He had a kitty cold and had been losing a lot of weight over the past six months - brought him in for a checkup and the bloodwork didn't look great. Doxycycline for two weeks to clear up the cold/infection.. Now he's got uveitis (eye inflammation behind the cornea) and an enlarged kidney. His breathing is a little raspier and wetter sounder than normal. But he seems to be doing alright at the moment, happy to sit around in the sun.

Not sure if there's anything I can do except make him comfortable and try to support his immune system. Does anyone have any resources or advice?

He is the best cat.

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 9, 2018

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"

Antivehicular posted:

Have you cleaned everywhere she's peed? If a place smells like pee, that's a big "keep peeing here" signal to cats. Enzyme cleaners like Nature's Miracle will remove the smell thoroughly enough to break that association.

Cleaned the spots with natures miracle and also baking soda and vinegar.

Nascardad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 9, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Feline GI panels-- will they show only acute problems?

Our cat (13yrs) has had some anorexia/vomiting issues twice in the past 3 months, and the vet is having us bring her in for a blood draw tomorrow morning. Cerenia got her to eat but she's almost got her full appetite back.

If something is resolving/resolved, will it show up on the blood tests?

I know, it's a question for the vet, but I can't find much on-line and I wanted to be a little more prepared when I call to ask.

Poor kitty. Had a liver shunt found when she was spayed, had recurring bouts of pancreatitis when she was a kitten/young cat, and now at 13 she's getting too nauseated to eat sometimes.

effika fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 9, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Nascardad posted:

Is moving the litter box or replacing it an option? I've had cats with pooping outside the box issues and one idea the vet mentioned was cats can associate the box or its location with a painful urination/defecation and start avoiding it for future bathroom breaks even if they aren't having pain issues anymore. That wasn't the solution in my case but it might be worth a shot for yours.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

effika posted:

Feline GI panels-- will they show only acute problems?

Our cat (13yrs) has had some anorexia/vomiting issues twice in the past 3 months, and the vet is having us bring her in for a blood draw tomorrow morning. Cerenia got her to eat but she's almost got her full appetite back.

If something is resolving/resolved, will it show up on the blood tests?

I know, it's a question for the vet, but I can't find much on-line and I wanted to be a little more prepared when I call to ask.

Poor kitty. Had a liver shunt found when she was spayed, had recurring bouts of pancreatitis when she was a kitten/young cat, and now at 13 she's getting too nauseated to eat sometimes.

Called the vet. The pancreatic enzymes will likely still be a bit out of whack even though the cat is feeling better, and her B12 levels could be off too. With the cat's history it's probably her pancreas so this should tell us something useful.

It might also be cancer or SIBO or IBS but the vet has a hunch that the cat just can't compensate as well for pancreatic insufficiency or bouts of pancreatitis as she ages.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nascardad posted:

This is going to sound weird. But all the scrubbing and cleaners and Bean still tinkled in the spot she started peeing in when her bladder hurt until I put a puppy pads over it.

Whenever I go "oh shes not peeing here anymore" and move it away she pees there almost immediately.

Cat makes no sense.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Len posted:

Cat makes no sense.

Support ticket closed. CATS.EXE is working as intended.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Hey all, had a hopefully straightforward question for y'all.
I live on the ground floor of my apartment complex and there's a stray cat who hangs out in the courtyard late at night. Currently, the cat comes up to the living room window and hangs out staring at our cat Pequod, who mostly just stares back, no hissing/aggressive posturing.
I guess the question I have is, do I do anything about this cat or just ignore them?

The stray in question and the Pequod in question

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I rotate flavors of canned food regularly. They do seem to enjoy the variety.

Mine's the opposite. Will only gently caress with this one can I've been giving her for so long now. Even that she was struggling with for a while and was losing weight till I started sprinkling the top with her go-to dry food. Vet agreed that would be a good idea if it was like less than an eighth of a cup a day or so.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Support ticket closed. CATS.EXE is working as intended.

GET OFF THE KEYBOARD KITTY

NO I DON'T WANT TO TURN CARET BROWSING ON

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Infinitum posted:

GET OFF THE KEYBOARD KITTY

NO I DON'T WANT TO TURN CARET BROWSING ON

He did something to make the Scroll Lock light on my keyboard keep blinking and I can't make it stop, regardless of reboots or cold restarts. He is a warlock kitty.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Nascardad posted:

We had the same problem after early urinary issues. Some sort of box aversion. Changing boxes or litter might help. Prozac did the trick for us, in the end.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
My best buddy for sixteen years had to be put down on Wednesday, and while I'm still grieving and trying to deal with it in my own way, I wanna ask everyone to give their cats an extra pet or a chin rub for me and for him. I really miss that god drat cat, and not feeling his familiar weight jumping up on my bed is really eating away at me tonight.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Fabulousity posted:

He did something to make the Scroll Lock light on my keyboard keep blinking and I can't make it stop, regardless of reboots or cold restarts. He is a warlock kitty.

My cats open up programs and also random boxes that require passwords or some type of typing, in which they type in a crazy combination of letters. I have no clue how Kittay opened up iTunes cause it’s not even in my dock :psyduck:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Minrad posted:

My best buddy for sixteen years had to be put down on Wednesday, and while I'm still grieving and trying to deal with it in my own way, I wanna ask everyone to give their cats an extra pet or a chin rub for me and for him. I really miss that god drat cat, and not feeling his familiar weight jumping up on my bed is really eating away at me tonight.

Aaaaaa I'm so sorry

One day I will feel that pain too. I can't even sleep out of town without Claudius doing the nightly tuck-in ritual she's done since the very first night she came home. I gave her a scritch just now on your behalf. :( Try to keep it close to your heart that those were sixteen primo years where your boy was nothing but loved.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Nascardad posted:

Our cat kept peeing outside the box after a bladder issue. We had to retrain her. Kept her shut in the bathroom for two weeks with her favorite toy, food, water, bed, and two litter boxes (it was a squeeze). Just like getting a new cat. It was our vet's idea, to try and reset her basically, to just going on the box again. Luckily it worked, or that would've been a loving miserable two weeks for nothing.

To be fair we also tore up the carpet in the two areas she most frequently went, and placed plastic carpet protector mats on them, upside down (Spike side up) to prevent her lingering around there

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Everytime I try and give Domino pets because I'm thankful he's still here and healthy he gives me this look like I'm disturbing him and then slaps me.

Bean goes "mreow" in displeasure.

I brought you two into this house you will love me.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My cat Reina has always been an indoor cat (as far as we know, she was a shelter), but since we moved to an apartment on the first floor she's been trying to go outside. Whenever she does go out, she only goes to one spot below one of our windows, and lies there as long as the sun is on her, then jumps back inside. She'll also jump back inside if she sees a dog or cat. Is it okay to let her out for about an hour to sun there if I sit there watching her? Any other advice?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Minrad posted:

That particular hurt is the worst part of all this, but sincerely, you're not alone and have all my sympathy. Reading this also helped me feel less alone in dealing with that hurt. Gave the office cats at the vet some extra petting today.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My cat Reina has always been an indoor cat (as far as we know, she was a shelter), but since we moved to an apartment on the first floor she's been trying to go outside. Whenever she does go out, she only goes to one spot below one of our windows, and lies there as long as the sun is on her, then jumps back inside. She'll also jump back inside if she sees a dog or cat. Is it okay to let her out for about an hour to sun there if I sit there watching her? Any other advice?
I'd imagine the advice will depend a lot on where you are. Is this a suburban area? Rural? City? Does your building front a lot of vehicular traffic? I'd argue "no" because the outdoors is simply more hazardous, but if you're in a suburban area with little traffic and pretty much no one outside because they are no sidewalks then that's relatively safe and cats aren't exactly helpless against many animals. On the other hand, this assumes her continued good behavior and if there's anything we learn about cats, it's that they follow a routine until they decide they don't. If she wants to go explore because something piqued her interest that one time, do you think you can stop her from disappearing into the bush from where you are inside? What's the plan if she's not a good girl?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Train her to wear a harness, then go out with her. She's on her harness plus leash so laying and napping in sun will be fine, and if she gets curious and tries to wander, you have the other end of the leash to help keep her safe.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, yeah, I think I'll try to get her to use a leash. She just haaaates it, so I've had difficulty trying to get her to put it on. But yeah, I shouldn't expect her continued good behavior, and it's better safe than sorry.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Hey all, had a hopefully straightforward question for y'all.
I live on the ground floor of my apartment complex and there's a stray cat who hangs out in the courtyard late at night. Currently, the cat comes up to the living room window and hangs out staring at our cat Pequod, who mostly just stares back, no hissing/aggressive posturing.
I guess the question I have is, do I do anything about this cat or just ignore them?

The stray in question and the Pequod in question

Keep half an eye on Pequod for signs of them being stressed by Interloper, for example not sleeping where she'd usually sleep or peeing in the wrong place. Otherwise, no, unless you want to give Interloper pets and/or treats (But you may end up with another catte that way)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
As someone who--utterly ignorant--broke and let in the stray when it seemed like Claudius and the stray got along through the window: holy loving poo poo there is a lot of daylight between cats mewing through a window and a strange cat entering your own cat's territory

Luckily the stray was copiously tagged and the owner was exhaustively grateful to have them returned so it was a happy ending. Your ending might not be so happy!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'll grant that if the siren's call of two torties under the same roof doesn't tug at your heartstrings then you're a categorically lovely human, so you've got that going for you.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

As someone who--utterly ignorant--broke and let in the stray when it seemed like Claudius and the stray got along through the window: holy loving poo poo there is a lot of daylight between cats mewing through a window and a strange cat entering your own cat's territory

I'm going through this now. Luke was super friendly with cats in the past, but he's been hostile to the kitty. The only difference I can come up with is that in the past, we moved into houses with other cats, but this time Luke had almost four months alone here. I think he's mad that this little ball of energy is on his turf.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So the Google Home has a thing where you can ask it to talk to Pikachu and it will start talking like Pikachu.

Jellybean is terrified of Pikachu as it turns out.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just small random thing: my cat loves her eye drops. I was chillin on the bed after giving her the drops (hadn’t put them away yet) and she plopped on the floor looking at the bottle lovingly.

Ah just left room and forgot bottle to post this and it’s still just chillin there like 5 min later (you’d think cat would throw that poo poo around).

So glad that my cat is happy and comfortable.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Uh also I had a dream where I got another cat and I’ve always wanted an orange cat and there was this one at petsmart that was organge and the same age as Chester and Chester needs a buddy of his own age and and and and I’m not gonna do it but I’m soooooooo tempted and my brain is saying it’s a sign but I know it’s just the toxoplasmosis gondii

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thin Privilege posted:

Uh also I had a dream where I got another cat and Ive always wanted an orange cat and there was this one at petsmart that was organge and the same age as Chester and Chester needs a buddy of his own age and and and and Im not gonna do it but Im soooooooo tempted and my brain is saying its a sign but I know its just the toxoplasmosis gondii

Out of curiosity, I know toxoplasmosis is the reason why pregnant women are not supposed to change litterboxes but I'm probably infected already having lived around cats my entire life. I'll be trying to get pregnant in about a year... Does that affect the baby or...? I'm honestly confused about the whole situation.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Ms Adequate posted:

Keep half an eye on Pequod for signs of them being stressed by Interloper, for example not sleeping where she'd usually sleep or peeing in the wrong place. Otherwise, no, unless you want to give Interloper pets and/or treats (But you may end up with another catte that way)
So far, Pequod has just been in play mode about Interloper, so not worried about that part. So for now, we're just letting her be.

Willie Tomg posted:

I'll grant that if the siren's call of two torties under the same roof doesn't tug at your heartstrings then you're a categorically lovely human, so you've got that going for you.

I will admit, it's super tempting, but have to resist for now.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've honestly wondered about Toxoplasmosis and if it really does have a subtle effect of one sort or another on a normal healthy adult with no pre-existing conditions or compromised immune system.

Like for instance, I have NO clue why but I think my cat *smells* like... really really incredibly good. Like when she's been asleep for a couple hours all curled up in a ball of fur and paws, and I come over and say hi and wake her up to love on her a bit, for some reason that "sleepy cat smell" just smells almost intoxicatingly lovely and I can't even quite SAY why. It might objectively be a kind of gross smell I don't even know~!

Me and Jackie have just been fabulous lately, incidentally. Been at my Grandma's house all summer and Jackie and I have had the place to ourselves for various reasons. It's been so nice being able to let her out and not have to worry about her getting hit by a car - plus she has such a big and lovely back yard! Jackie's in heaven here.

I'll be moving in with some roommates (good friends I really like) with Jackie, so that's cool.. I thought there might be another cat, but Jackie is going to be the one and only pet there which is GREAT and which she will like way way better. Less stress for everyone.

I've had to move so much... I hope this is the last time in a long time. Me and Jackie have been living on our own for.,.. gently caress, 8 solid years. I think the only reason I only had one or two mental breakdownss instead of a dozen is because of my wonderful wonderful cat. Actually, I don't even refer to her as my cat so much as my "familiar" these days. That's really how she feels sometimes.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The Lobster posted:

Out of curiosity, I know toxoplasmosis is the reason why pregnant women are not supposed to change litterboxes but I'm probably infected already having lived around cats my entire life. I'll be trying to get pregnant in about a year... Does that affect the baby or...? I'm honestly confused about the whole situation.

Get a test, if you are infected don't worry about it, if you aren't, then worry.

This all comes straight from the CDC:

If you are planning to become pregnant, your health care provider may test you for Toxoplasma gondii. If the test is positive it means you have already been infected sometime in your life. There usually is little need to worry about passing the infection to your baby. If the test is negative, take necessary precautions to avoid infection (See below).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
With toxoplasmosis and pregnancy, the biggest danger is acquiring a new infection at the time that you're pregnant. When that happens you'll have the parasite in your system but your immune system hasn't raised the red flag and made antibodies against it yet- that's the window in which it's most dangerous to a fetus. So they're less concerned about a previous exposure that you're already made antibodies for, and want you to avoid a new exposure.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’ve had 5 cats over the past 25 years, so when I got pregnant I just assumed I was already infected and didn’t have to worry. Nope, I tested negative. Apparently it’s not common if your cats are indoors, which mine have all been except for their time as strays, some time in a fenced-in patio, and random escapes. The cat has to eat some other infected wildlife and then pass it to you, which is why it’s somewhat rare in indoor cats.

Interestingly, gardening may present a bigger risk of infection due to the fact that random animals may pee and poop in the soil and people tend to spend a long time in the garden without washing their hands. I guess blaming the cats just sounds cooler!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

FelicityGS posted:

Get a test, if you are infected don't worry about it, if you aren't, then worry.

This all comes straight from the CDC:

If you are planning to become pregnant, your health care provider may test you for Toxoplasma gondii. If the test is positive it means you have already been infected sometime in your life. There usually is little need to worry about passing the infection to your baby. If the test is negative, take necessary precautions to avoid infection (See below).

Marchegiana posted:

With toxoplasmosis and pregnancy, the biggest danger is acquiring a new infection at the time that you're pregnant. When that happens you'll have the parasite in your system but your immune system hasn't raised the red flag and made antibodies against it yet- that's the window in which it's most dangerous to a fetus. So they're less concerned about a previous exposure that you're already made antibodies for, and want you to avoid a new exposure.

Thanks for the information, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet has a tendency to throw food around when he eats, and unfortunately in my new apartment that attracts ants. I put down bait n stuff and I sweep up anything I see, but they’re just too quick to swarm the food and I’m not always around to sweep up. What can I do?