Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’re facing eight at once you haven’t managed the map right. With a few exceptions where poo poo spawns on top of you (which I think they addressed at least in part a patch or two ago) you should be able to basically fight two sequential 4 v 4 battles rather than an 8 v 4 clisterfuck.

And usually when you get 8 enemies, they won't all have full armor, making it even easier to focus down the sequential 4 v 4 fights.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I'm on the 3rd campaign mission where you have to chase the trucks and blowup/not blowup some ammo dumps.

Turn 1 for the enemy the truck spawns and moves way past where I could possibly catch it, and then turn 2 another one spawns and catches up to the first one.

I built a mech for speed with sprinting/jj and it can't catch up at all.

What mech did you build? I just did that mission, and although I had been loving around to the point that I brought 4 heavies, my Grasshopper sprinted over there just fine in time to engage the trucks. In a previous playthrough a mostly-stock Shadow Hawk also had no trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I just ignored the trucks, it only gives you a small pay bonus anyway and makes the mission way more tolerable.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, I'm going to be starting a new game with the full Inner Sphere map mod, plus probably the merc deployments and some of the Lostech availability ones. For just sandboxing around space, anyone have any other mod suggestions?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Merc deployments = contract chains?

One mod I'm running is Random Start. You get a selection of random Kickstarter and Ronin pilots, as well as a random pool of Lights and Mediums to start with. You always start with the Blackjack, but the rest is random.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Those long term contracts are great money. I thought they'd be a nightmare marathon of missions but it's like a mission every 2-10 days or so, which gives you time to finish healing /repairing if you've upgraded the Argo a bit. Your payday is during your financial report and if done right means you turn a steady profit over the course of the contract. Only sucky things are that the missions are random so you can't avoid doing the ones you might hate (base defense and convoy intercept can be bullshit depending on mods you're running) and it's the same planet for the whole time which blows if you have a primarily energy based lance and you're always fighting lunar biomes.

I'm playing RogueTech and those models are great fun. Since they pay transport costs its an economical way to zip across the inner sphere.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hardest bit of a dz_ sandbox campaign is deffo getting that early capital together to start upgrading the argo. I am stuck in a chain of bad events because I haven't upgraded the power systems and having to jump out of two consecutive missions, one a bad faith withdrawal has me verging on a failure spiral.

Knocking it up to 5 salvage to build a new mech was possibly too much, I might restart with it set at 4. My random start gave me a Commando 3A, a Vindicator and 3 Locusts so I may have had a bit of a hard start there as well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's pretty easy to adjust the starting pool of mechs in Random Start, if you like.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
5 salvage is a bit too much considering it added a poo poo ton of chassis' so it'll take forever to get something that isn't a panther-9ALAG the mod really seems to send against you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Just finished the campaign. I managed to kill the pilot of the king crab in the last mission without killing the mech. Oh what joy, non salvagable. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

winterwerefox posted:

Just finished the campaign. I managed to kill the pilot of the king crab in the last mission without killing the mech. Oh what joy, non salvagable. :v:

This one is super weird because you can salvage it sometimes, I did in my playthrough and it came with some pulse lasers.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
I shot the legs off and got 2 KC parts and the pulse lasers.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

RabidWeasel posted:

This one is super weird because you can salvage it sometimes, I did in my playthrough and it came with some pulse lasers.

That happened in my game, yeah.

It's definitely not the 'normal' king crab, because I already had one from another mission and it didn't come with anything extra like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

5 salvage is a bit too much considering it added a poo poo ton of chassis' so it'll take forever to get something that isn't a panther-9ALAG the mod really seems to send against you.

It's not as bad as that. The same mod also makes mechs combine if they're subtypes of the same model, outputting the one that you had the most bits of. So if you had 3 chunks of a PTR-9LAG, 1 chunk of a PTR-8Z, and drop a PTR-9R you'll get a LAG.

edit: if anything it helps balance out how much extra salvage opportunities you get from enemies punching out after they panic.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
So I've been having this issue with my MRBC rating and I was wondering if anyone else is having it and/or if this is a known bug or something.

Basically, my MRBC rating tracks just fine as long as I stay below 900.

However, once I go over 900, the stars disappear and the progress bar kind of gets weird (It just sits there, and I don't know what its counting up to?). The main thing is that I can't get a 5 star rating, and I'm getting missions (from factions I'm allied with) that I can't accept because my faction rating or MRBC rating is too low to accept (its not the faction rating), so its not that I have a 5 star rating and its just hidden or something.

Is there a solution for this? It just bugs the hell out of me that I can't see everything in the game, and it seems weird that this hasn't been fixed yet.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not as bad as that. The same mod also makes mechs combine if they're subtypes of the same model, outputting the one that you had the most bits of. So if you had 3 chunks of a PTR-9LAG, 1 chunk of a PTR-8Z, and drop a PTR-9R you'll get a LAG.

edit: if anything it helps balance out how much extra salvage opportunities you get from enemies punching out after they panic.

Huh, neat. That explains at least one mech I got when I was convinced I didn't have enough parts.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, started a new sandbox game with the Inner Sphere map, and randomized starting mecha. Let's see how far I can get with my proud, ancestral...

Cicada.

:negative:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

LeSquide posted:

So, started a new sandbox game with the Inner Sphere map, and randomized starting mecha. Let's see how far I can get with my proud, ancestral...

Cicada.

My apologies if it's the MG version (3C?). Armor up it's legs, max jump keys & get all the small lasers you can and use your unkillable main character as a DFA berserker until you get something better. Like, anything other than a locust.

The 2A is alright for the start of the game. You can get a little more milage out of it if you can get a large laser somewhat early. Try to not shoot that arm off of commandos with large lasers if you can.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LeSquide posted:

Cicada.

Post/Avatar combo once again makes me desire Corvid :airquote: "Mechs" in Btech.

Like the Fatshoe :allears: It's probably faster than a Cicada to boot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I now have two banshees with near max armor, jump jets, dual punch mods and a few small lasers/MGs. I pair them with two long range oriented Highlanders and let the banshees go full Leroy Jenkins. It is glorious.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 9, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has there been any word on expansions yet?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Section Z posted:

Post/Avatar combo once again makes me desire Corvid :airquote: "Mechs" in Btech.

Like the Fatshoe :allears: It's probably faster than a Cicada to boot.

I'd trade it for an Eightball in a second. Hell, I'd trade it for a Chook.

My biggest issue with the Cicada is the lack of armor. I think every single engagement I've had has resulted in repair bay time.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I managed to steal a dragon early game and it was surprisingly awesome, they are not good mechs but if you are still fighting lances of half armour locusts? They are slaughter monsters who punch multiple mechs to death a mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LeSquide posted:

I'd trade it for an Eightball in a second.
You and me. We are best warcrimes friends now :buddy:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Betcha a Touro could out-kick an Atlas

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Has there been any word on expansions yet?

Nothing other than, " we're going to make expansions!"

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

They made an annoucement yesterday that they had brought on a new artist, so something is happening. It feels really weird after how open things felt in that last run up to release with the monthly Q&A's. There has probably been a lot of shuffling going on with the Paradox takeover and also the loss of a member of staff to scandal.

I am hoping for something soon, it would be great to keep going with the Argo and Darius and co into the third succession war and beyond.

In other news I restarted my DZ_Company Commander sandbox and I am having a lot more fun, it feels really hardscrabble and slowly gearing up is great. If you do go for it I can't stress getting the first power system upgrade asap, it's a massive investment but you get so many negative events from not having it. I bought it day one of the campaign this time and I am slowly getting back into the green. From my starting mechs of:

code:
Vindicator (Great starter but PPC's are terrible in this modpack with low gunnery pilots - especially with the small movement penalties it adds), 
Cicada (the bad one with the huge engine, also turned into a total hanger queen), 
Commando, 
Urbanmech (The AC20 version! Sadly I had an AC20 ammo explosion very early and lost the gun, but it did a lot of work with 2xAC/2),
Locust (I had 3xSmall laser and a medium on this, but a bad mission meant I had to refit it and couldn't get my hands on enough replacement small lasers. I put 3xMG on and a half ton of MG ammo and it actually super overperformed.)
I now have
code:
Vindicator
Panther
Panther
Commando
Commando
Commando
And I feel that I can finally start pushing into one and a half skull missions and get my hands on some mediums!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 10, 2018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Section Z posted:

You and me. We are best warcrimes friends now :buddy:

:unsmith: my lance got destroyed by an ill-chosen Battle mission and what I'm pretty sure were an infinite number of Spiders punching me into bankruptcy, but this little moment of war crimes family makes it all worth while.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know what Battletech needs? Big Boss or Solid Snake.

"Your mission is to kill one guy! He doesn't even have a mech! How hard could it be?"

:unsmigghh:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

BenRGamer posted:

"Your mission is to kill one guy! He doesn't even have a mech! How hard could it be?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LeSquide posted:

:unsmith: my lance got destroyed by an ill-chosen Battle mission and what I'm pretty sure were an infinite number of Spiders punching me into bankruptcy, but this little moment of war crimes family makes it all worth while.
The next spider crushed under my Grasshopper bootheel is in your honor :black101:

BenRGamer posted:

At least it's not a skeleton driving a luggage cart.

I'd still put my money on Snake though.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Section Z posted:

The next spider crushed under my Grasshopper bootheel is in your honor :black101:

At least it's not a skeleton driving a luggage cart.

I'd still put my money on Snake though.

Nono, it's Snake in an Elemental suit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

Nono, it's Snake in an Elemental suit.
Well great, now I want Solidus in Battletech too.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Section Z posted:

Well great, now I want Solidus in Battletech too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scandal?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sebmojo posted:

Scandal?

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/yweqk5/harebrained-schemes-designer-accused-of-sexual-harassment-resigns

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

2 months old. Probably doesn't help the release schedule any, but it's been known for a bit.

Edit: Ah, reply to a reply. Welp.

From what I gathered, while he was not exactly noncritical, he wasn't a key dev either, so I'd wager the delay is more on corporate merger shenanigans than this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OAquinas posted:

I'd wager the delay is more on corporate merger shenanigans than this.
In part.

HBS_HighCommand posted:

The truth is that we've been up to our ears in work, PH. Localization, Linux, 1.1., 1.2, 1.3 (you'll hear more about this soon), BT postmortems, integration with PDX, planning for future BT stuff, looking for new office space - all at the same time. We're just swamped.

I want to start some Dev Diaries soon and hopefully we'll get a live-streaming space in our new building so we can chat "in-person".
Mitch

HBS_Kiva posted:

Hey nerds! believe it or not, i'm far busier now than i was pre-launch, because now i have a *lot* more data to work with as far as how the game tuning is working, what the most egregious problems are, and what groundwork we need to lay for future features.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
RogueTech got an update and now you can salvage engines to either invest tonnage into making the mech faster or freeing up weight by swapping in a smaller engine.

Previously Ferro Fibrous and Endo Steel were lumped into 'Advanced Materials' for simplicity. Now they are their own separate equipment that automatically chews up X free crit slots in the torsos. They finally added CASE and CASEII, important considerations since overheats can trigger ammo explosions.

Some weapons now do bonus damage vs mechs that are currently overheating which is really neat, and I could see if being pretty devastating on Martian or lunar battlefields since the AI can very kind of suicidal when it comes to heat management.

Quirks are now actually relevant and affect pilot recovery time, contribute technician points to repair faster, and have other effects.

They seem bent on nerfing many of the stock pilot skills though. Master Tactician doesn't give +1 initiative anymore. Instead it provides a grab bag of little bonuses, such as reduced chance to receive crits.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rogue tech just sounds like it’s reaching too far IMO. I actually like having the engines be fixed. Swapping them out wasn’t something you were doing in a drop ship in TT and it actually makes different chassis unique in good ways. Yes this means that some over engined mechs will always suck. Whatever, every universe needs to have it’s good and bad stuff. The Dragon being kinda crap compared even to the 4/6 movement 50-55 ton mechs is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
You still have to find the engines themselves though, so you're not going to get unlimited choices and often you're going to be forced to replace a destroyed engine with an inferior one.