Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Voeting genuinely semss like a good match for something blockchainy. You do not want mining, obviously, but the public ledger alone is a good match. A central database is not a good match: a central database can lie (tell you, you voted for A but count it for B), even if it is tamper-proof (it can just lie about being tamper proof).

A public ledger would not have the problem: everybody can count the results and compare. A ledger system is also better than anything with paper: paper requires manual counting or manual comparison of electronic votes and paper trails.

Paper voting also requires you show up at a designated place and inability or just inconvenience are actual reasons people give for not voting.

A public ledger solution would have to support that I can check my vote but that nobody else can. Even stronger, it should be impossible for me to prove to anybody what I voted (to prevent selling votes). This feels like it can be solved, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t. Such a system would also have to ensure you cannot prove that somebody has/has not voted yet still ensure that people only get one vote.

Similarly, a convenient system would have to support that nobody can see me voting; if they can see me voting for A, that would allow me to sell my vote. Perhaps it would suffice that I can change my vote anytime until some deadline, but it would have to be untraceable to anybody that I did.

That’s all ignoring the aside in the beginning about “no mining” meaning we’d need something currently non-existing to replace it.

tl;dr: voting genuinely seems like a fair match for “something blockchainy,” but arguments for confuse “could be” for “is.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

klafbang posted:

A public ledger solution would have to support that I can check my vote but that nobody else can. Even stronger, it should be impossible for me to prove to anybody what I voted (to prevent selling votes).

This isn't a selling point. Image your system can be compromised in some way you haven't considered. You now have no ability to demonstrate fraud. Those who run the compromised system can elect anyone they choose. It would be the height of arrogance to suggest you have a system that isn't gamable, and strip from people the power to show it is gamable.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Goodpancakes posted:

This isn't a selling point. Image your system can be compromised in some way you haven't considered. You now have no ability to demonstrate fraud. Those who run the compromised system can elect anyone they choose. It would be the height of arrogance to suggest you have a system that isn't gamable, and strip from people the power to show it is gamable.

You’re right, but the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive; as part of the unsolved problems list, I mentioned the system would have to ensure everybody gets at most one vote. A system could ensure that without ensuring that an individual can demonstrate what they specifically voted.

And a big thing is, I would not want “somebody running the system.” Voting is a place where a no-trust-ledger may be worth it. People could get software from any provider they choose, or write their own.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I feel like you could do something where each machine has it's own chain, and then you aggregate totals from each machine using a normal DB.

You still have issues of garbage in, garbage out, but it wouldn't be that much worse than current levels.

You also a significant degree less of voter anonymity in that kind of system, even if you don't store trackable voter info with the vote

Edit: Lol, realized I missed an very important word about how it is less anonymous

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 8, 2018

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I doubt that, otherwise why is Blockchain so popular right now? If it was as good as you say, nobody would bother with Blockchain. So stop spreading lies

LOL 'the medical field' like it wasn't rife with bullshit

cockchain is popular because our species is a bunch of retards, hope this helps

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How about this: Paper ballots, instead of increasingly complicated voting computers by companies that really don't have a handle on security.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
wat if paper instruments were the most secure

*rand paul literally dies*

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Lambert posted:

How about this: Paper ballots, instead of increasingly complicated voting computers by companies that really don't have a handle on security.

I'm so glad my state does 100% absentee paper ballots so I don't have to stand around waiting for a turn at some dumbass voting ATM.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

klafbang posted:

Voeting genuinely semss like a good match for something blockchainy. You do not want mining, obviously, but the public ledger alone is a good match. A central database is not a good match: a central database can lie (tell you, you voted for A but count it for B), even if it is tamper-proof (it can just lie about being tamper proof).

A public ledger would not have the problem: everybody can count the results and compare. A ledger system is also better than anything with paper: paper requires manual counting or manual comparison of electronic votes and paper trails.

Paper voting also requires you show up at a designated place and inability or just inconvenience are actual reasons people give for not voting.

A public ledger solution would have to support that I can check my vote but that nobody else can. Even stronger, it should be impossible for me to prove to anybody what I voted (to prevent selling votes). This feels like it can be solved, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t. Such a system would also have to ensure you cannot prove that somebody has/has not voted yet still ensure that people only get one vote.

Similarly, a convenient system would have to support that nobody can see me voting; if they can see me voting for A, that would allow me to sell my vote. Perhaps it would suffice that I can change my vote anytime until some deadline, but it would have to be untraceable to anybody that I did.

That’s all ignoring the aside in the beginning about “no mining” meaning we’d need something currently non-existing to replace it.

tl;dr: voting genuinely seems like a fair match for “something blockchainy,” but arguments for confuse “could be” for “is.”

Ok but...how do I BUY it?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Roki B posted:

wat if paper instruments were the most secure

*rand paul literally dies*
but each ballot is backed by a vote. no fiat ballots!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Well I'm sure glad that the west virginia supreme court is ready to handle any voting irregularities from blockchain voting in west virginia. http://www.thenewscenter.tv/content...-490158061.html

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 8, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bitcoin is down 8% today, so just another normal day I suppose.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Getting close to the thread title again

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where is that graph that shows the big peak then drops with smaller peaks all the way down?
That's exactly what BTC looks like now, more so than before.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's just people cashing out to be able to afford fireworks for Liechtenstein's national holiday on the 15th.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Waltzing Along posted:

Where is that graph that shows the big peak then drops with smaller peaks all the way down?
That's exactly what BTC looks like now, more so than before.

Just Google euthanasia coaster

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

klafbang posted:

You’re right, but the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive; as part of the unsolved problems list, I mentioned the system would have to ensure everybody gets at most one vote. A system could ensure that without ensuring that an individual can demonstrate what they specifically voted.

And a big thing is, I would not want “somebody running the system.” Voting is a place where a no-trust-ledger may be worth it. People could get software from any provider they choose, or write their own.

lol yeah people can totally be trusted to only download software from a trusted source

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I know xkcd is bad, but I like bad things so I check it occasionally and the new one talks about voat. He's on the side of the angels here.

"There are lots of very smart people doing fascinating work on cryptographic voting protocols. We should be funding and encouraging them, and doing all our elections with paper ballots until everyone currently working in that field has retired."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wow goatsekcd would be perfect for that strip

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The White Dragon posted:

wow goatsekcd would be perfect for that strip

it always is
https://goatkcd.com/2030/sfw

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

The Voatz website is running on a box with out of date SSH, Apache (multiple CVSS 9+), PHP etc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nah they're just running RHEL 7 so the version numbers reported don't mean much at all.

I would get these kind of vulnerability reports all the time by lovely security "reseachers" who don't know what backporting is.

I mean, they could still be out of date but you can't tell from a scan.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"these good ideas work well. if you cant make bad ideas work well the science professions are a lie"
ok xkcd. ok

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh, i wrote up the OKEx margin trading disaster last week

also: I attempt to explain that eye-watering 20x margin leverage on crypto exchanges tl;dr the exchanges are risking the suckers' money and get them coming and going

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gary oldmans diary posted:

"these good ideas work well. if you cant make bad ideas work well the science professions are a lie"
ok xkcd. ok

Is that what it is saying? Sounds more like trust the professionals to me?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ok xkcd. ok

The hell?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

ok xkcd. ok
nah

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

divabot posted:

oh, i wrote up the OKEx margin trading disaster last week

also: I attempt to explain that eye-watering 20x margin leverage on crypto exchanges tl;dr the exchanges are risking the suckers' money and get them coming and going

real professionals only trade on 100x margin and use amounts small enough that they could be liquidated 5 seconds after placing the trade

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
like nobody understands how asymmetric cryptography works, u can solve all of this poo poo to legit NIST standards with a cheap as gently caress Luna, why make a bitcoin?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

let it mellow posted:

like nobody understands how asymmetric cryptography works, u can solve all of this poo poo to legit NIST standards with a cheap as gently caress Luna, why make a bitcoin?

I worked for RSA

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

COMRADES posted:

Is that what it is saying? Sounds more like trust the professionals to me?
well it was specific to software engineers instead of people in science professions but it pins risk of computer voting on developer incompetence when in actuality that concept is riddled with risks up and down
with paper ballot voting all you would need to ensure trust is have multiple people with opposing interests performing separate counts and accumulations of counts at every stage to ensure trust. slower but dead simple

Burt Sexual posted:

I worked for RSA
hmmmm... im gonna guess tpm developer

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

This guys got a hole where his brain should be folks

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
dont beat yourself up

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 10, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

I worked for RSA

What were you, the crypto janitor?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

with paper ballot voting all you would need to ensure trust is have multiple people with opposing interests performing separate counts and accumulations of counts at every stage to ensure trust. slower but dead simple

Yeah, that's how we do it in canada, I've worked as a poll clerk before. Each table gets two (temporary) employees of Elections Canada and a list of ~400 registered voters. Every party is allowed to send a volunteer observer for each table to watch that we are following the rules and not pulling any fast ones. They are allowed to look at our stuff, but not touch it.

At the end of the night we lock up and count the votes. One of the two at the table holds up each ballot and reads off the vote, the other writes it down. The volunteer observers can look at each ballot and keep their own tally. In the event that a ballot looks spoiled or ambiguous the observers can challenge the poll workers interpretation of the ballot right then and there, which brings over a supervisor. At the end of the count if any of the observers got a different vote tally than the poll workers they can challenge the count and force us to recount on the spot until everyone is satisfied. (The ballots all go into sealed envelopes to be archived for a while in case anyone wants to demand a recount after all that.)

It takes hours. The poll staff have to be on site with at least one of each pair having eyes on their poll box for the full 12 hours the polls are open, plus the hours it takes to count your 400 votes and do all the paperwork, so it is at least a 14 hour day. No smoke breaks or coffee breaks, but you can take quick bathroom breaks though that closes your station which can mean grumpy people standing in line while you poop. Not complicated, but very labour intensive.

All this would be worse in the USA though, because you elect multiple guys at once in each riding and also throw in referendums and stuff sometimes. Super labour intensive.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

spankmeister posted:

What were you, the crypto janitor?
:popeye: talk about owned

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, that's how we do it in canada, I've worked as a poll clerk before. Each table gets two (temporary) employees of Elections Canada and a list of ~400 registered voters. Every party is allowed to send a volunteer observer for each table to watch that we are following the rules and not pulling any fast ones. They are allowed to look at our stuff, but not touch it.

At the end of the night we lock up and count the votes. One of the two at the table holds up each ballot and reads off the vote, the other writes it down. The volunteer observers can look at each ballot and keep their own tally. In the event that a ballot looks spoiled or ambiguous the observers can challenge the poll workers interpretation of the ballot right then and there, which brings over a supervisor. At the end of the count if any of the observers got a different vote tally than the poll workers they can challenge the count and force us to recount on the spot until everyone is satisfied. (The ballots all go into sealed envelopes to be archived for a while in case anyone wants to demand a recount after all that.)

It takes hours. The poll staff have to be on site with at least one of each pair having eyes on their poll box for the full 12 hours the polls are open, plus the hours it takes to count your 400 votes and do all the paperwork, so it is at least a 14 hour day. No smoke breaks or coffee breaks, but you can take quick bathroom breaks though that closes your station which can mean grumpy people standing in line while you poop. Not complicated, but very labour intensive.

All this would be worse in the USA though, because you elect multiple guys at once in each riding and also throw in referendums and stuff sometimes. Super labour intensive.

This is a good way to do it, though. People in power want to do e-voting not to make things easier, though they use that as an excuse. They want e-voting so there isn't a paper trail. Just look at Ohio 2004 for an early example.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We don't need a separate voatcoin, just elect officials directly by spending Bitcoin imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it pins risk of computer voting on developer incompetence

Yeah I guess it could have done without the "our entire field is bad at what we do" bit and it would have worked just as well if not better.