Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Haha, ok, fine, you've convinced me not to do it. Although I would have gotten our team into the top ten easily, whereas on their own they won't likely make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Why fill out the team if all you're going to do is hide?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Just turn on no fill

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The main problem with pacifist runs, especially as a newbie, is that you still end up having to win the final fight. You are never going to get the combat experience you need by avoiding opponents.

Unfortunately the alternative is dropping in the most popular place you can each time and getting stomped in the face over and over until you are completely broken and demoralized.

There don't seem to be any actual viable alternatives right now.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

the best strategy being at odds with actually engaging with another human being seems like a bad design decision in a multiplayer game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anyone who's ever played a shooter before should be able to land in a popular place and stand a chance

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

anyone who's ever played a shooter before should be able to land in a popular place and stand a chance

Against the first 1-3 guys, but someone's gonna end up sneaking up on you if it's a popular enough place

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Against the first 1-3 guys, but someone's gonna end up sneaking up on you if it's a popular enough place

Oh, well yeah. But you killed 1-3 guys. That's the combat experience you're trying to get by landing in the most popular place.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

John Murdoch posted:

A large, large number of my rando squad losses come directly from one of my teammates deciding that if an enemy exists on their screen, they need to shoot them immediately.

It is way more fun to make other people lose than it is to win.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neon Belly posted:

Ok, that is true
https://twitter.com/squidsalot/status/1015354953068470272?s=19

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Butter Hole posted:

the best strategy being at odds with actually engaging with another human being seems like a bad design decision in a multiplayer game.

It's a last man standing game style and while hiding can help you get to the end, unless you're real lucky with your scavenging you're going to be badly out geared and out gunned by the other player. Said player will likely be better at gunplay and building too so you're basically hoping for them to make a fatal mistake like blow themselves up or get stuck in the storm.

...which is how I won a 0 elim match a couple seasons ago. So it is possible, if highly unlikely.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What chance, though?

If there are 4 people there, the average person has a 25% chance of making it out alive, assuming they fight instead of running away.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

What chance, though?

If there are 4 people there, the average person has a 25% chance of making it out alive, assuming they fight instead of running away.

You become better than average by fighting other people. It's a video game, not a random chance simulator. You'll probably also have better gear because there will be a lot more loot in larger/more populated areas, instead of grabbing 1-3 chests somewhere out of the way and hoping they drop the stuff you need.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Preem Palver posted:

You become better than average by fighting other people. It's a video game, not a random chance simulator. You'll probably also have better gear because there will be a lot more loot in larger/more populated areas, instead of grabbing 1-3 chests somewhere out of the way and hoping they drop the stuff you need.

This.

You'll only ever win by dumb luck if you actively avoid firefights. Your best bet at getting the hang of the weapon mechanics and shootout tactics is to drop in highly populated areas and learn to fight. You'll die a lot, but you'll also start to understand the rock/paper/scissors of the weapon types and how to build defensively and offensively.

If all you're doing is looting and hiding, you'll get curb stomped by people who know how to outbuild/shoot you in the final circles - if you even survive that long.
It's stupid easy to crush a pub who is hiding in a 1x1 with their thumb up their rear end.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hamburlgar posted:

This.

You'll only ever win by dumb luck if you actively avoid firefights. Your best bet at getting the hang of the weapon mechanics and shootout tactics is to drop in highly populated areas and learn to fight. You'll die a lot, but you'll also start to understand the rock/paper/scissors of the weapon types and how to build defensively and offensively.

If all you're doing is looting and hiding, you'll get curb stomped by people who know how to outbuild/shoot you in the final circles - if you even survive that long.
It's stupid easy to crush a pub who is hiding in a 1x1 with their thumb up their rear end.

Yes, but what about after you've gotten the hang of the weapon mechanics and shootout tactics and once you've learned to build and so on?

Then you're better off hiding your way to the end, because it's still the best way of making it highly likely you'll be alive at the end.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Best advice I can give if you are struggling with combat. Unlearn what you have learned. Hold that loving trigger down. Got 3 kills with a white SMG today. Had more elims today than the last week combined I'd say. Won another squad game but I was actually useful to the team and even scored the winning kill! I think

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, but what about after you've gotten the hang of the weapon mechanics and shootout tactics and once you've learned to build and so on?

Then you're better off hiding your way to the end, because it's still the best way of making it highly likely you'll be alive at the end.

You can be bored watching your xp go up or you can have fun and play the game

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Orange Sunshine posted:

What chance, though?

I'm not a numbers man, but I'm pretty sure you always have a 50% chance of living or dying. Like, not just in videos games but real life too dog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neon Belly posted:

Yeah but there's a better chance of making someone lose if you wait until you actually have a battleplan or even just a clear shot instead of flailing towards their general direction with a shotgun and a dream. I suspect that's what happens when you take Tilted kids out of their natural habitat.

Also got my first season 5 win today, solo. Definitely in part thanks to knowing when to cut and run after thoroughly suppressing some folks with the thermal AR. But also in part thanks to blowing somebody the gently caress UP with the double-shotty.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 9, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Playing conservatively and taking only the necessary fights is the best way to get a Victory Royale. You can see this style taken to the extreme in pro squad scrims. 40+ people survive to the tiny moving circles and the entire play area is a maze of rat tunnels and sky platforms and a single bad decision guarantees death. Recently Ninja did his first squad scrims with the Faze guys and learned a lot while he won 3 in a row--I'd definitely recommend searching for them on youtube.

Personally I love playing aggressive in semi-popular areas (retail, salty) in early game, then trying to kill anyone I see mid-game, then switch to conservative style in the top 8 and go for the victory. It's a great balance for practicing combat / building / making decisions. Nothing beats the feeling when you cleanly outplay someone and get a kill without taking hits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mongoose posted:

Playing conservatively and taking only the necessary fights is the best way to get a Victory Royale. You can see this style taken to the extreme in pro squad scrims. 40+ people survive to the tiny moving circles and the entire play area is a maze of rat tunnels and sky platforms and a single bad decision guarantees death. Recently Ninja did his first squad scrims with the Faze guys and learned a lot while he won 3 in a row--I'd definitely recommend searching for them on youtube.

Personally I love playing aggressive in semi-popular areas (retail, salty) in early game, then trying to kill anyone I see mid-game, then switch to conservative style in the top 8 and go for the victory. It's a great balance for practicing combat / building / making decisions. Nothing beats the feeling when you cleanly outplay someone and get a kill without taking hits.

Playing aggressively is much better for wins in the long run since you don’t face 50-70 people that could walk over a hacker every public match. These guys do what they do because there are real stakes and because they are really good at killing, not because that is the only thing they know.

Same Ninja was thought to be in for being bodied hard in scrims because he plays flashy aggressive style, yet he has been consistently repeating that same play style in recent scrims and owning the poo poo out of teams used to hard turtles. He did play conservatively only when Cloak called for it.

Obviously most people won’t ever get close to him, or any other pro player for that matter, but sitting it out is in my opinion the least useful learning advice for Fortnite that will lead to an occasional lucky win and stupor when someone shoots you.

Learn to kill, and the wins will come naturally. There’s no effort or skill involved in gliding until 20 people are left alive.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have to agree, I've felt the biggest gains from the massive frustration that is dropping into tilted or paradise.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's no reason to play this game if you don't try to kill everyone you see, regardless of if you're out gunned.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Playing aggressively is much better for wins in the long run since you don’t face 50-70 people that could walk over a hacker every public match. These guys do what they do because there are real stakes and because they are really good at killing, not because that is the only thing they know.

Same Ninja was thought to be in for being bodied hard in scrims because he plays flashy aggressive style, yet he has been consistently repeating that same play style in recent scrims and owning the poo poo out of teams used to hard turtles. He did play conservatively only when Cloak called for it.

Obviously most people won’t ever get close to him, or any other pro player for that matter, but sitting it out is in my opinion the least useful learning advice for Fortnite that will lead to an occasional lucky win and stupor when someone shoots you.

Learn to kill, and the wins will come naturally. There’s no effort or skill involved in gliding until 20 people are left alive.

Ah yeah, I totally agree, especially about long-term improvement. If you're putting lots of hours into the game and want to improve your skillset (or just have more fun imo), aggression is the way to go. I meant to say that when you look at a single game only, playing conservatively will improve your chance for winning that game. And by conservative I don't mean 0 kill, more like safe looting then a few choice ambushes on bot-looking players for ammo / materials / loot and then focusing on ideal positioning and avoiding unnecessary fights.

Watching Ninja's performance in that was incredible. They had amazing teamwork and communication for a random fun scrim team. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's summer skirmish doubles matches. The point system is really focused on kills, and Ninja is going into it with last week's top slayer Reverse2K.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's no reason to play this game if you don't try to kill everyone you see, regardless of if you're out gunned.

Assuming you're serious, I don't understand this attitude.

I've played a variety of game modes in multiplayer shooters, deathmatch, domination, capture the flag, battle royale, and so on. The one thing they all have in common is that most everyone ignores what the game mode is and they all just run around trying to get as many kills as possible.

It's easy to carry your entire team to victory in a typical capture the flag game, because no one wants to capture any flags, they just want to camp out the high traffic points in the middle of the map and get kills. I suppose they're primarily trying to get their kill death ratio as high as possible so they can impress their friends with it, I can't see any other reason for playing capture the flag and then not really playing it.

But why play a battle royale game if you really want to play a free for all or team deathmatch game? In a proper game where you just run around getting kills, you respawn after you die, so there's no major penalty for dying. These game modes are designed around running and gunning.

But why play a game designed around outlasting other players, and then charge around trying to get lots of kills and almost always dying before you have any chance at getting to the end? It's like going to play tennis, pulling out a ping pong paddle and trying to slap at the ball with it, losing every match, and insisting this is how you get good at ping pong.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You charge long enough to learn how to shoot people and then “almost certain death” stops being a problem. Obviously there are unfavourable engagements that you need to reset/avoid or suboptimal rotations to take in order to avoid setting yourself at a known disadvantage, but in general case killing other players is the best and by far the fastest way to gain resources, ammo, and any items, bar none. That’s how you avoid being the 500 total materials green weapons guy with 200 bullets going up against purple gold somebody with 3000 mats, warmed up and full of adrenaline.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Orange Sunshine posted:

But why play a battle royale game if you really want to play a free for all or team deathmatch game? In a proper game where you just run around getting kills, you respawn after you die, so there's no major penalty for dying. These game modes are designed around running and gunning.

But why play a game designed around outlasting other players, and then charge around trying to get lots of kills and almost always dying before you have any chance at getting to the end? It's like going to play tennis, pulling out a ping pong paddle and trying to slap at the ball with it, losing every match, and insisting this is how you get good at ping pong.

Mostly because it's not that fun or rewarding to outlast players just by hiding. It's still a shooting game and killing people is still the fun part. I just won a Solo with 5 eliminations and 1 assist, which means 5 fights that I won, and whenever that happens it feels like I beat the game. If I snuck my way to the top 2 and won because a dude fell off something or whatever I wouldn't have that same feeling. I don't drop into Tilted but I'm also not gonna hope I don't see anyone, I'm just gonna hope I can kill whoever I do see.

So really they're just saying you're probably not going to win a tennis tournament by sneaking your way into the finals and hoping the other guy has a heart attack. You might as well play tennis and win at it a couple times before you get there.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My brother's 11 year old son has spent probably 1000 hours playing fortnite. He's very good at fighting and building, but he doesn't win matches very often because he doesn't make it to the end, due to his habit of attacking anyone he ever sees anywhere.

If he and I played together, I could get him to the end most of the time, and then he could win. Together we might be able to win 1/3 of the matches we played in, with my strategy and his twitch reflexes and experience at the game. But, as everyone here keeps explaining to me, it is impossible to play this game to win, because that would not be fun.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orange Sunshine posted:

My brother's 11 year old son has spent probably 1000 hours playing fortnite. He's very good at fighting and building, but he doesn't win matches very often because he doesn't make it to the end, due to his habit of attacking anyone he ever sees anywhere.

If he and I played together, I could get him to the end most of the time, and then he could win. Together we might be able to win 1/3 of the matches we played in, with my strategy and his twitch reflexes and experience at the game. But, as everyone here keeps explaining to me, it is impossible to play this game to win, because that would not be fun.

Don’t strawman. Not taking every single possible engagement, including the obviously disadvantageous, is very different from taking the least possible number of engagements, the latter being what was initially said in this discussion and what a lot of this thread for unknown reasons views to be a good idea and keeps repeating day in day out.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

What someone said earlier about being aggressive early on and into the midgame then conservative when you're up to the final fights is probably the best way to do it. Early aggression(caveat, you should be landing somewhere with decent amounts of loot, always) rewards you by giving you the most amount of loot which is a huge advantage to any subsequent immediate engagements. Midgame aggression rewards you because these people have also already looted a bunch and farmed a bunch so you're funneling all that to yourself. Endgame you can be reasonably sure people are good and you're better off letting them kill eachother and trying to find more advantage for yourself. Unless you've been very unlucky your kit will be good and resources plentiful so kills will give you marginal upgrades at best, especially compared to waiting for a fight to finish then attacking the wounded victor before they have a chance to finish healing.

Obviously this should be tempered by saying that enemies with a huge advantage over you in either position or kit may be worth avoiding, but anyone arguing that you should spend all or most of the time avoiding fights is just plain wrong. In my experience winning is about building a great kit for yourself then finding all the advantages you can and exploiting them, and advantages come in the shape of different weapons, better terrain, more materials, more ammo, etc. You'll find fewer advantages to exploit by avoiding high traffic and high loot areas and by being unwilling to create them for yourself.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Orange Sunshine posted:

You sound like the worst, most unfun teammate.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Orange Sunshine posted:

If he doesn’t win matches very often he probably isn’t as good as you think.

You could start playing together and show us the 33 percent win rate to prove your theory.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Orange Sunshine posted:

There's no real penalty for dying in fortnite either. You just respawn by queuing up again. I'd rather take a fight most fights that would slightly reduce my chances of winning, lose it, queue up for a new game and be fighting 1 minute later than spend 10-15 minutes avoiding those fights. Obviously there's some horrible fights that I wouldn't take because they're not fun, in which case I'll play a bit more passive (mostly comes down to how much time I'll have to spend running from the storm if I take the fight, or miniguns :lol:)

Your tennis/ping pong analogy is terrible because taking unnecessary fights in fortnite does help you improve and put you in a better position to win more games in the long run. It might lower your chances of winning that particular game, but it will help you win games in the future because you'll be giving yourself more opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them. I don't think playing tennis with a ping pong paddle will improve your chances of winning future tennis games played with a tennis racket.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

But, as everyone here keeps explaining to me, it is impossible to play this game to win, because that would not be fun.

:circlefap:

Bad gamer claims if he pairs up with someone better than him they would win more, news at 11.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

:circlefap:

Bad gamer claims if he pairs up with someone better than him they would win more, news at 11.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You hit the nail square on the head there. If only there were some way in this game for me to team up with people, then I'd do better. If only.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Last night I got ambushed by a team, I quickly built a few walls and a platform, threw down a jump pad and a remote explosive and jumped away. I landed on the other side of a tree and hit the explosive which downed two of the four (the rest of my team had wandered off on their own, they just grabbed a cart and drove off). I then just threw my entire stock of explosives at the little building the survivors built.

Later on I fired a rocket launcher at a wall directly in front of me.

I then got high and played counting coup. I tagged 15 people before the 16th finally killed me. Players PANICKING when you hit them with a single shot is hilarious, and if you can steal their golf cart while they're looting and get away clean? :kiss:

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You hit the nail square on the head there. If only there were some way in this game for me to team up with people, then I'd do better. If only.
No one wants to be the "git gud" guy but if you're consistently losing maybe change tactics? I'm terrible at face to face encounters so I adapt to avoid them. You can get a win without going face to face. No one is saying it's "impossible to play to win" , they're saying that there is no sure strategy to winning so always have a plan B. I don't ever get mad at people hiding in bushes or waiting around a corner, those people are just like you: they don't have the "twitch reflexes" of your 11 year old so they adapted to a new strategy.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Hey, if you have a Samsung device you can install Fortnite on Android today. I think it works from S7 up. Worked fine on my Note 8.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

objectively bad posted:

There's no real penalty for dying in fortnite either. You just respawn by queuing up again. I'd rather take a fight most fights that would slightly reduce my chances of winning, lose it, queue up for a new game and be fighting 1 minute later than spend 10-15 minutes avoiding those fights. Obviously there's some horrible fights that I wouldn't take because they're not fun, in which case I'll play a bit more passive (mostly comes down to how much time I'll have to spend running from the storm if I take the fight, or miniguns :lol:)

Your tennis/ping pong analogy is terrible because taking unnecessary fights in fortnite does help you improve and put you in a better position to win more games in the long run. It might lower your chances of winning that particular game, but it will help you win games in the future because you'll be giving yourself more opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them. I don't think playing tennis with a ping pong paddle will improve your chances of winning future tennis games played with a tennis racket.

My issue is that I find the opening minutes, where success or failure in fights comes entirely down to the roll of the dice on whether you find A) a weapon, ideally a GOOD weapon and B) shields or just six spawns in a row of only ammo to be the most tedious and uninteresting part of a match. Playing suicidally would just put me into my least favorite part of the game more often.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

On the initial drop, you should be able to kill anyone with any weapon, pistol, shotgun, rifle, whatever; I've killed people with gray pistols by just running at them spamming and gray revolvers by corner camping and one-shoting them. After the first 2-3 minutes, you'll probably want shields, unless you can get the drop on someone, and a non-poo poo weapon, preferably green+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

My issue is that I find the opening minutes, where success or failure in fights comes entirely down to the roll of the dice on whether you find A) a weapon, ideally a GOOD weapon and B) shields or just six spawns in a row of only ammo to be the most tedious and uninteresting part of a match. Playing suicidally would just put me into my least favorite part of the game more often.

That sucks. I love the scramble at the beginning. No one's had time to throw on full shields and gear up with their full arsenal, so you end up with a different sort of fights than you encounter later in the match.