Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLyOWdypYnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Those videos all need that counter that keeps saying "Total Reps: 0" over and over

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I don’t understand wearing a hoodie to the gym

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Bape Culture posted:

Kettle bell stuff is good for grip too right?

If you do swings, they'll make your grip stronger for doing swings. Grip can be a limiting factor with how many consecutive swings you can do.

Dunno how well that translates to deadlifts.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lmao

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finishing up Sheiko 32 on Friday with a fake powerlifting meet. Gonna smash myself into the weights that morning, then two weeks off (including a week on vacation) and come back to try out the 5/3/1 Building the Monolith split starting September 1st. Gonna get that 5-plate pull and 3-plate bench soon

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

See now if this guy got kicked in the nuts I wouldn't care.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nice.

What about those fat grips? We've got some in a bucket somewhere in the gym and they seem to really get gnarly when you're doing loaded cleans with them.

nah they don't really improve your grip. just do exercises that improve it like people have said or find a way to work around it

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Dropped a 45 on my toes. The immeasurable shame is worse than the pain.
As long as the toe was flat on impact you probably didn't injure anything. Except pride and nerves. I am on blood thinners and did that from chest/shoulder height at 6'1. It hit the joint of my big toe, direct hit, no other toes impacted, and it bounced like a foot into the air after. I couldn't really walk on it for a few days, but all you can really do is wait.

It also took months for the nerves to return to normal, but you can use it like normal long before they do.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 9, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I dunno man I broke a toe dropping a garbage can on it. Thankfully and/or sadly a broken toe will just hurt for a while, nothing to be done about it really.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I broke my foot being a drunk in college, it was black and blue for a few days and hurt really bad but I just didn't do anything about it. Now you can definitely feel that the bones in my feet are lined up differently

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Where's the lunk alarm when you want one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*kicks the bar out of his hands*

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I had a tooth pulled today and the dentist told me I couldn't go to the gym for two or three days. I normally take weekends off because my shifts don't mesh with the Y's hours so I'm only losing tomorrow and friday, but those will be the first two weekdays I haven't exercised in four months. I know it's dumb but it's still bugging me :smith:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I had a tooth pulled today and the dentist told me I couldn't go to the gym for two or three days. I normally take weekends off because my shifts don't mesh with the Y's hours so I'm only losing tomorrow and friday, but those will be the first two weekdays I haven't exercised in four months. I know it's dumb but it's still bugging me :smith:

Just go to the gym like what's gonna happen the rest of your teeth fall out?

Sorority Fister
Aug 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
hmm yeah dont listen to medical professionals, best cave in to your gravity related OSD

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I just had this done with 2 teeth last week. 2 days in and my clots were fine and holding. So I went to the gym and did my thing wondering all the while if I'd blast the clots out of my tooth sockets like bloody Nerf pellets (didn't happen).

Now I get to see what happens when I have braces slapped on. I can't imagine there's much downtime, if any.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

ElectricSheep posted:

I just had this done with 2 teeth last week. 2 days in and my clots were fine and holding. So I went to the gym and did my thing wondering all the while if I'd blast the clots out of my tooth sockets like bloody Nerf pellets (didn't happen).

Now I get to see what happens when I have braces slapped on. I can't imagine there's much downtime, if any.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

I'll get over myself, though I'm especially annoyed since this is the last month I have off before i return to my classes and will lose two of the five days I normally lift on because my ... education... is more important

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Judgement free zone, unless you forget to pay your rent.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFhRsTtLrI&feature=youtu.be

I failed 145 because I suck. I hit 140 beforehand though at least. What do you think guys is that high enough to be clear tricep weakness? Hammer triceps hard when I start my hypertrophy block? As well as keeping up OHP twice a week of course.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Lean back more and get your chest to help your delts. A sticking point isn't where the bar stops it's before that where the bar starts to slow down. Your triceps are probably plenty strong enough considering you bench more than 140. If you're going to hammer anything it's your shoulders and technique.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My back doesn't like leaning back.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Because it's painful or just uncomfortable? If it's just uncomfortable you'll adapt.

Strict pressing is great but it's kind of limiting if you're trying improve ohp.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It gets pretty tight, mostly afterward/the next day rather than actual pain during the lift.

If it helps here is my 140 that I hit, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsoysmQiW0

Are you sure it's not triceps limiting me right now? I mean that moved pretty decently all the way until I got to the last part of the lift where it slowed down. I realize really everything still needs to get stronger since I'm still late beginner/early intermediate of course. It's just Average to Savage wants you to set your T2s up based on where you are currently weakest, which it actually has a book specifically for that that you can refer to but I think it's missing the section on OHP.

All that said, shoulders recover easy and I'm definitely going to hammer those too, so it's probably a "why not both?" situation, I was just trying to figure out how I want to set my T2 exercises up this next go around. You mention strict press being limiting.....push press is definitely an option when it comes to selecting a T2 for OHP. What if I did Close grip as T2 for bench, and Push press as T2 for OHP?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

doverhog posted:

I dunno man I broke a toe dropping a garbage can on it. Thankfully and/or sadly a broken toe will just hurt for a while, nothing to be done about it really.

I've hosed up any number of toes before (years of barefoot martial arts in my younger days, general clumsiness as well) and usually dealt with it by taping the hosed-up toe to its neighbours and walking like an old man for a little while. Only once did I require medical assistance; that was when one of my pinky toes was not only purple and swollen but also stuck out sideways, so it had to be pulled back into the right place first because it could be taped up.

Turns out that it's kind of difficult to get a good enough grip on such a small thing as a pinky toe so as to be able to exert enough force to pull it into place. But they managed it okay in the end, and then I could wear shoes again.

Also when you have an injury like that, the ER people prioritize your case below absolutely everything else. Good thing I thought to bring some reading material.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you watch you slow down at around the forehead then speed up again when your triceps take over. Push press cuts out the bottom and middle of the lift so probably not the best choice.

I'd just press more.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Generally speaking if you want to get better at X then do X more

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I hate people like this

I don't mind dropping weights after heavy deadlifts or whatever but people doing stupid poo poo slamming weights or throwing dumbbells on the floor because of ape aggression or whatever is STUPID

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Generally speaking if you want to get better at X then do X more

However in this case to get better at X then do Z presses

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Z press was another thing I had thought about doing. Keep in mind this is just for a tier 2, I will still have a main OHP day.

Either way, I'm not worried about it. I'm sure it'll work out if I keep on grinding. However I do feel like my arms are starting to lag behind the rest of me in general size so I'm going to hit those fuckers good this cycle.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3js35qDkTa4

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
The higher my body fat percentage the hornier I become. Accidentally became fat recently and now I'm way oversexed.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFhRsTtLrI&feature=youtu.be

I failed 145 because I suck. I hit 140 beforehand though at least. What do you think guys is that high enough to be clear tricep weakness? Hammer triceps hard when I start my hypertrophy block? As well as keeping up OHP twice a week of course.

Do pin presses for assistance. You'll need to find a taller rack though.

https://youtu.be/K9rCbU2xqII

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You ever do 1 hand dumbbell press or jerk? I dunno if that would help or not but it's a fun thing to do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lo weight hi reps

Leads to asymmetry though

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Killing Loaf posted:

Do pin presses for assistance. You'll need to find a taller rack though.

https://youtu.be/K9rCbU2xqII

Also consider learning how to do a more dynamic press variation, like what Starting Strength has been teaching for the past few years (Rippetoe calls it the "Press 2.0"). Use that as your main "pounds on the bar" press and save strict presses for volume. SS gets a lot of poo poo here but they focus more on overhead press than anyone else I've seen, to the point of starting their own variation on the sport of Powerlifting that replaces the Bench Press with Overhead Press ("Strengthlifting").

Press 2.0 with Mark Rippetoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Jordan Feigenbaum talks about advanced technique variations with the dynamic press, including some videos of him pressing 250+ lbs: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/classicpress/

Bill Starr on dynamic pressing: https://startingstrength.com/article/the_olympic-style_press

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Leads to asymmetry though

Does it? I try to do equal reps on both hands. Although, my left has been slightly weaker than my right, which I noticed doing that. But I think that was pre-existing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh you mean you weren't making a :gizz: joke? My bad

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Haha, no, in this case not. Maybe that was the cause for the asymmetry though. :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Killing Loaf posted:

SS gets a lot of poo poo here

Does it? I got the impression a lot of posters itt have just outgrown it is all? After all, it is called starting strength