Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I approve of Roman centurion fire man and hope he wins all of the fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

food court bailiff posted:

Uh has anyone received Mint Delivery yet? The last backer email said everyone in the states should have gotten theirs by Wednesday.

Hey, just wanted to post that like many of you I actually did get mine this past Saturday. Life has been a nightmare lately so I've only had a chance to play *Works but it was super great. Kind of annoyed at the rules insert since it doesn't seem to have an in-depth description of the Builder location, the only one I really had any questions on, and the rules video used a previous version of the game with different names for stuff, but once we sat down and played it it all 'clicked' nice and smooth like Love Letter. Really digging it and can't wait to hopefully play Delivery a few times this weekend.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 8, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I played this game at GenCon, it's a Magical Girl RPG and it was honestly pretty good. Maybe a little simple but the design was solid and I'd play it again: Domina Magica. Seems to have already funded.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like the art and the entire thing seems deeply earnest and not Madoka so it is definitely up my alley.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I like the art and the entire thing seems deeply earnest and not Madoka so it is definitely up my alley.

Yeah, they asked me what Magical Girl stuff I was familiar with and when I said "Madoka, very briefly" it was somehow a faux pas. I know poo poo about magical girls as a genre, and apparently some of the table players thought it was problematic in some way? I have no idea. I just stuck to Gem and Sailor Moon after that.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

theironjef posted:

apparently some of the table players thought it was problematic in some way? I have no idea. I just stuck to Gem and Sailor Moon after that.

The next time just shout "there is no ethical consumption under late capitalism" at an increasingly loud volume until they stop complaining about your taste in magical girl shows.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Madoka is controversial because it was very popular with non-fans but often seemed to really dislike the genre itself as a show, especially because it’s creator has proven to have some truly severe misogyny, and a really valid read of the series is ‘girls should not want things.’

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

The next time just shout "there is no ethical consumption under late capitalism" at an increasingly loud volume until they stop complaining about your taste in magical girl shows.

Nah I only watched like two episodes I'm not so invested as to step to a plate about it. I just made my character a punk rock schoolgirl with Polnareff hair named Sugaku "Sugarcube" Owens and had a good time.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mors Rattus posted:

Madoka is controversial because it was very popular with non-fans but often seemed to really dislike the genre itself as a show, especially because it’s creator has proven to have some truly severe misogyny, and a really valid read of the series is ‘girls should not want things.’

I'll be honest that's a really weird read of the show to me, since the basic sentiment seemed to be 'girls get treated incredibly unfairly, yet still strive to have hope' and also it's a Buddhist parable involving magical girls?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'll be honest that's a really weird read of the show to me, since the basic sentiment seemed to be 'girls get treated incredibly unfairly, yet still strive to have hope' and also it's a Buddhist parable involving magical girls?

It becomes much clearer when considered in the whole ouvre of Gen Urobochi because he goes to the well of 'girls are awful for wanting things' a lot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There's also something kind of uncomfortable about how many "dark/deconstructed" magical girl shows are basically about taking a power-fantasy genre for little girls, crafting narratives where said power fantasy is treated as obviously stupid/meaningless/self-destructive/etc. and the fantasy figures become powerless suffering magnets, and then marketing it at adult men, all in the context of an industry that has some serious misogyny problems.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Madoka is also an extremely blatant ripoff of the show Kamen Rider Ryuki.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Spookyelectric posted:

Radiant: Offline Battle Arena is now halfway through its campaign! I'm glad to say that we funded in the first week, so now we're trying to unlock some stretch goals. I'd really like to get the expansion unlocked, because the drafting aspect of the game really opens up with 12 players.

We've got a free print-and-play on our Kickstarter page, along with some gameplay videos and whatnot, so if anyone is interested you can check it out! Thanks!

My favourite part of that campaign is that one guy in the comments trying to redesign the entire game as a perfect LoL simulation. If I hadn't already backed I'd be half tempted to put down a dollar just to mess with him in the comments.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Madoka is also an extremely blatant ripoff of the show Kamen Rider Ryuki.

...is that also a Mahayana Buddhist allegory?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/candycodedgames/fat-stacks-a-pancake-stacking-strategy-card-game

I played Fat Stacks at MAGFest a few years ago and it's a pretty fun little game. I recommend it if you're looking for a solid filler.

theironjef posted:

I played this game at GenCon, it's a Magical Girl RPG and it was honestly pretty good. Maybe a little simple but the design was solid and I'd play it again: Domina Magica. Seems to have already funded.

This looks super cool but I can't justify $25 for a pdf

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joe Slowboat posted:

...is that also a Mahayana Buddhist allegory?

it's a dark take on a classic Japanese hero style, where people are randomly chosen to make a contract by a mysterious and untrustworthy character to fight monsters who exist in a parallel world and drag people in to kill them, in exchange for a single wish

so maybe

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's a dark take on a classic Japanese hero style, where people are randomly chosen to make a contract by a mysterious and untrustworthy character to fight monsters who exist in a parallel world and drag people in to kill them, in exchange for a single wish

so maybe

It's also a very deliberate reference to Faust, to the extent that there's a lot of actual pages and lines from the book in the background of scenes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like Sailor Moon

Also Ewen finish and kickstart Magical Burst or something! Ideally with a Sailor Moon supplement.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

theironjef posted:

Nah I only watched like two episodes I'm not so invested as to step to a plate about it. I just made my character a punk rock schoolgirl with Polnareff hair named Sugaku "Sugarcube" Owens and had a good time.

I'd just be RPing "Revolutionary Girl Utena" the entire time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like Sailor Moon

Also Ewen finish and kickstart Magical Burst or something! Ideally with a Sailor Moon supplement.

Also his Tokyo Heroes Super Sentai game (which also doubled as a magical girl game).

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I played it too and Its Good. Straightforward but it does whats on the tin.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It becomes much clearer when considered in the whole ouvre of Gen Urobochi because he goes to the well of 'girls are awful for wanting things' a lot.
Well that's disappointing. I had heard good things about Psycho Pass.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theironjef posted:

Every other magical girl game under the sun that isn't the 90s Sailor Moon game (which is bad :v:) seems to be a Madoka RPG, so I'm genuinely glad someone's finally making one that isn't.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The Starlit Kingdom isn't Madoka! It's about Sailor Moon's backstory, basically, where the Lunar civilization fought desperately against the powers of darkness and ultimately failed. (The serial numbers have been very lightly filed off but it's the Silver Millennium as filtered through Polaris.)

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 9, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

inklesspen posted:

The Starlit Kingdom isn't Madoka! It's about Sailor Moon's backstory, basically, where the Lunar civilization fought desperately against the powers of darkness and ultimately failed. (The serial numbers have been very lightly filed off but it's the Silver Millennium as filtered through Polaris.)

True, and it's good.

You can also pretty easily do mahou shoujo in Fate or by reskinning 4E, but that's not quite the same as having a dedicated system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well that's disappointing. I had heard good things about Psycho Pass.

Psycho-Pass is fantastic. It is about a young professional woman realizing she's complicit in an awful system and that her ideals are being co-opted, but it ends with her believing just as strongly in humanity and taking a stand against tyranny. Also, just in general, it pays to remember that portrayal is not approval.

Urobuchi's a mediocre writer overall and he's not really the factor that made Madoka good, but this is the one where he hits it out of the park.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So what's the bad Gen stuff then? I mean aside form Fate/Zero but that really didn't have a chance given that it's a Fate property which means it's 95% exposition by mass.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

So what's the bad Gen stuff then? I mean aside form Fate/Zero but that really didn't have a chance given that it's a Fate property which means it's 95% exposition by mass.

Dude's written a lot of bland, exposition-heavy sci-fi, it's not just the Fate franchise.

He wrote the plot outline and the first and last episodes of Gargantia On the Verdurous Planet, which has a nasty trans panic joke in the middle -- not an episode he wrote, but still something with his name on it (especially in the marketing at the time, with everyone hype off of Madoka.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He wrote Saya no Uta (extremely :yikes:) and a lot of really forgettable crap.

On the flipside, beyond Madoka, he wrote Psycho-Pass s01 and Thunderbolt Fantasy, both of which are extremely good for totally different reasons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

What little I could be bothered with of Madoka also had the overarching theme of 'said girls are then viciously punished for being idealistic enough to have hope' as well. Edgy nihilism is the casual takeaway, and as a reaction to the upbeat idealism of the magical girl genre it makes fans of the genre a bit twitchy and thus has a bad rep because, as always, edgelords love it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

He wrote Saya no Uta (extremely :yikes:) and a lot of really forgettable crap.

On the flipside, beyond Madoka, he wrote Psycho-Pass s01 and Thunderbolt Fantasy, both of which are extremely good for totally different reasons.

I thought people liked Saya no Uta

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah so at this point I'm still going with Madoka's twin sins being giving us a bunch of terrible imitators and funding more seasons of Monogatari (a show that hates women).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

madoka isn't nihilist

there's a character whose outlook is nihilistic and she's really clearly wrong and in denial, and clinging to cynicism as a coping mechanism. meanwhile the character who persistently believes in people and uses her wish to comfort the suffering redeems the universe at the end of the series

it's literally just the values / themes of a regular magical girl show with a darker tone

(give or take some obscure snark about how utilitarianism is a bad moral system, because Urobuchi can't get enough of that)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Like I said, I haven't watched it, all I can go by is a couple episodes my old roommate was watching and the people who go on about how the demon-cat-thing is awesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

open_sketchbook posted:

I played it too and Its Good. Straightforward but it does whats on the tin.

Excellent. After looking at it, I backed it. Sleepless Domain the RPG seems like it could be a good time.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I mean, "don't want things" and "attachments and hope leads to suffering" is like the core of Buddhism. Saying that a Buddhist made a show where girls are punished for wanting things is just saying that a Buddhist made a show about girls. Presumably since the topic is "magical girls," that is to be expected.

I say that without having seen any of the shows in question, so I certainly can't say anything about whether or not they are misogynist in other ways.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish has the right of it: Madoka is a show about how magical girls are good, and a universe that refuses to let them hope is bad and should be turned into a more standard Magical Girl setting by the intervention of Mahayana Buddha Madoka, whose entire story is literally Gautama leaving seclusion and realizing that the world contains inescapable suffering, and refusing to accept that, leading to becoming a cosmic principle of hope and ensuring that magical girl wishes can come true without eventually collapsing into despair. Which is pretty literally the concept of the Great Vehicle, that people can be saved from suffering even if they can't personally be totally detached, because of the intercession of a benevolent Buddha.

Now I can't speak to bad imitators, since it seems like what a lot of people took from the show was about as nuanced as what 90s comics writers took from Sandman and Watchmen. So it's entirely possible Madoka's effect on the genre was bad, idk.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

There's a KS that's almost over for a game called Call to Adventure and I'm really digging the RP-lite aspect of its character creation gameplay as well as the incredible card art. The only thing that leaves me a bit cold is the rune-casting aspect that makes that game feel more random and arbitrary than I'd like. Even so, the randomness of "rolling the bones" isn't enough to ward me off this surprisingly charming game.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 9, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Even so, the randomness of "rolling the bones" isn't enough to ward me off this surprisingly charming game.

They lost me at "From the makers of Boss Monster"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

djfooboo posted:

They lost me at "From the makers of Boss Monster"

I've never heard of Boss Monster. If it's Munchkin's-level bad that's one thing, but I haven't seen anything in this KS campaign to make me wary...