Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my final pull on the summer banner failed with possessed celica. but now my main team is closer to greatness since i replaced my dancer's useless b slot with chill spd :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

cheetah7071 posted:

wait it's actually impossible I'm not just too dumb for it

probably. they gave the manakete an attack refine so it cleanly one-hit kills selena but it also survives leo's blazing light by 3 hp, when there doesn't seem to be any way to get another savage blow hit on it (although the suspiciously long turn count is making me think there's some very dumb positioning that makes it doable)

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Not impossible (source, me as I completed it). You just need to hit the dragon with the charged AoE attack, which means one turn of not attacking at all so the dragon gets close to the bottom blue Armor.

Steps:
T1 Leo blasts blue amor, gets repositioned back.
T2 Leo kills the blue Armor, charges special, gets repositioned back
T3 both units move down, no attacking
T4 Leo kills blue Armor from below with special, badly hurting dragon. Severa moves next to Leo but no Rep.
T5 Leo kills dragon, Severa moves into range of axe Armor who dies v her

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 9, 2018

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

golden bubble posted:

It's an impossible request meant to separate the superwhales from the hyperwhales. Normal players should just take their WTA bonus kills and not worry about silly things like trying to kill SYTiki with Anna.

"Soloing a map" may be an exaggerated statement, granted, but the game still considers it more ""optimal"" for you to score as many kills as you can with the bonus unit you used to just rotate in and out of your team as needed, and no reward at all for actually making kills with the core team you've invested merges and skills into. And the game expects you to make that multi-merged core team if you want to stay at high tiers. That's just fundamentally terrible from a game design perspective.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's good game design because it means I have to vary my strategies over time instead of doing the same thing in arena for months and months

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

wait it's actually impossible I'm not just too dumb for it

Nope. Took a couple tries, but it's, as mentioned, perfectly managable as long as you try to get as many savage blow hits on the manakete as possible.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's good game design because it means I have to vary my strategies over time instead of doing the same thing in arena for months and months

Centralising your gameplay around a bonus unit technically counts as "varying your strategy", sure, but variation does not inherently mean good game design. In this case, it's a bad change because the bonus unit kill system is contradictory to the other part of the scoring system, which expects you to multi-merge a core team.

The game expects you to build three +10s to score high. And now the game expects you to not use those +10s to kill anything at all, but for them to become pure point bricks, and that optimally they should play support so the bonus unit can score as many kills as possible. Which part of that is good design? I didn't put Wrath and Steady Breath and whatever on my main team just so they can become glorified buffbots.

It's like there's a new rule announced in soccer where goalkeepers score extra points for their goals. That would "vary their strategy", sure, but it runs contrary to the system that's been tacitly accepted for a long time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As mentioned, it's to separate the superwhales from the hyperwhales. I don't expect it to matter for anyone except those fighting to stay in tier 21, a new ranking they specifically made to reward the hyperwhales by giving them a little Feh crown. I can understand your frustration in the sense of "I must be optimal!" but frankly it doesn't matter and you'll save yourself a lot of headache if you just think of it as a feature they're giving to other players who aren't you. You can almost certainly opt out of this while still staying in tier 20. You just won't get to sit with the hyperwhales anymore, and if you think about it they're literally paying for that privilege.

You can also think of it as a reward for those with such a huge roster that the bonus units are units they've invested in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I'm looking forward to the possibility of earning my arena rank by outplaying my similarly-scoring peers. Under the current system everybody who cares about arena performs perfectly so skill has no component whatsoever

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I understand that the system is to give advantage to people who whale for units every banner, but I just think it's a bad way to do it. It's not even from a "I want to score optimally" perspective, since I never bothered raising +10 armors to begin with, I'm just frustrated because it's such a thoughtless move.

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly I'm looking forward to the possibility of earning my arena rank by outplaying my similarly-scoring peers. Under the current system everybody who cares about arena performs perfectly so skill has no component whatsoever

Skill has no component whatsoever because the original scoring system weighed skill far too little to begin with. Could've weighed multiple factors like damage dealt, damage taken, turn total, etc, maybe all at once so you have multiple strategies to score, but no, the biggest weight had to come from BST/SP and merges.

If this new change is meant to introduce a skill element, then again - it's an awful way to do it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Basically if I drop from 19.5 because I never raised any units beyond the Askr trio and having them kill fuckers is a pain then I'm going to be salty as hell.

I'm already salty that I had to drop Witchy Nowi so I'm not running a pure flier team any more.

For those who complain about doing the same thing every week. Arena has always been a pleasure to play because it lets me take my favourite units and clown other teams for good rewards.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I haven’t gotten tired of having Fae kill entire teams by standing still and I don’t expect for it to happen anytime soon either

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I have embraced my mediocrity and am content hovering between arena rank 16-17

edit: oh neato I just got Ephraim for free right off the bat on today’s focus summoning

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 9, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Honestly the score change probably won't matter to me very much at all because I'm 18.5-19.5, but the margin by which i'm 18.5 is incredibly massive. Like I can get minimum score every round and i'll still be in the top 500 of t18. But to get to 19.5, I have to get my rare maximum score every single match, and that takes like 20+ dueling swords.

So I'll continue to not kill poo poo with the bonus unit, I don't really care if my t18 rank drops out of the triple digits as long as I can guarantee 4 orbs.

It's still a very stupid change, and it only benefits people who can afford to have multiple high-merge bonus units every single season... so yknow just more poo poo for whales gently caress you

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Oh cool! A 5 star off the free pull! I wonder what it-

code:
+HP -ATK Peri
:stare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Oh cool! A 5 star off the free pull! I wonder what it-

code:
+HP -ATK Peri
:stare:

same but +spd -atk

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
+ATK/-DEF shigure on this one

y'know at +ATK and SPD-neutral he's +1 ATK and -1 SPD on +SPD cordelia so hmmmm

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 9, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

+ATK/-DEF shigure on this one

y'know at +ATK and SPD-neutral he's +1 ATK and -1 SPD on cordelia so hmmmm

I'd like to note that he's -1 SPD on +SPD Cordelia, not neutral

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

peri is a free killing lance (and therefore free slaying lance + 70 divine dew) and so extremely good

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I promoted the +ATK Ares I had and he seems really strong, he must be absolutely bonkers at +10.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Retcon posted:

I promoted the +ATK Ares I had and he seems really strong, he must be absolutely bonkers at +10.

I really want to merge Ares but the game refuses to give me more than one of him.

Planning on running him with Quickened pulse + Lector on team so he can launch a bonfire on the first strike of every combat, including the first.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I popped two blue orbs on my summon because I desperately need more Shannas.

I got an Est FEATHERS and a Nowi. :geno: The Nowi is another + for the merge pile, but I have a good half a dozen units who need Desperation and I am fresh out of Shannas! :argh:

EDIT: Also I just spent a goodly amount of time getting my skill loadouts sorted, and now I'm annoyed. Even if you save loadouts by team, the game still doesn't switch to that loadout when you have that team selected! What's even the loving point, then? I still have to remember to put Fortify Dragons back on Nowi when I use the dragon team!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I took advantage of the new slots to make dedicated Blessing Teams.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
azura... with a fire blessing?? wtf

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Already had a Water blessed dancer and didn't have a fire one when I pulled her.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I just realised I missed a daily summon because I thought it was Fighter skills was one of them so I missed the Life and death banner :(

And I got another loving 5* Peri. gently caress.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Peri is like 10th on my list of potential merge targets so I wouldn’t have minded getting a head start

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Andrast posted:

Peri is like 10th on my list of potential merge targets so I wouldn’t have minded getting a head start

hell, same

My goth-girl fixation extends to emo/scene girls as well

That said the best thing I've gotten for my free pull on any of these one-off banners (or anything since the single LLucina from the legendary banner for that matter) was a Barst so

I guess getting a 4* Odin wasn't bad, always good to have more Blarblades up my sleeve

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Andrast posted:

If I could give you my 3 5* Peris I would.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

free pull was another 3* rein so at least i'm now up to a +8 "optimized" (debatable) 5* one

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Got pity broken on the fighter skills banner by my third pity breaker off-banner Deirdre :(

I did get my last two Cordelias though, so yay! She may not have beautiful art, but her stats and skills are:

She's only my second +10, still sitting on 130k feathers and waiting for merges.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rein is also on my eventual merge list. He functions so well without merges that he is pretty low priority though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the top on my list of merges is Sheena because I was silly enough to make one of my first +10s Nino, who is ranged, and therefore in order to hold T20 I have to put Aether on everyone and double rallies and still surrender some matches. It's actually not that bad because no one else in t20 has more than 1 ranged unit either but it's still annoying

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

loquacius posted:

hell, same

My goth-girl fixation extends to emo/scene girls as well

That said the best thing I've gotten for my free pull on any of these one-off banners (or anything since the single LLucina from the legendary banner for that matter) was a Barst so

I guess getting a 4* Odin wasn't bad, always good to have more Blarblades up my sleeve
Barst is great fodder. Reposition is pretty much the best melee assist and it only seems to come on, like, two heroes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

Barst is great fodder. Reposition is pretty much the best melee assist and it only seems to come on, like, two heroes

Yup, Barst/Severa are the best 3*/4*s to get while pulling green and red respectively (blue's best is Shanna)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is nothing wrong with swap and draw back imo

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
My merge list basically goes:
- that one optimal Kagero I've been sitting on
- all those Draugs so I can stay in Tier 20 without splitting up Nowi and Eirika from their respective teams
- L'Arachel and Shigure so my tactics team will be all +10
- Felicia provided I ever get one with good IVs

This is going to take a while. Also, gimme more Draugs please game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

golden bubble posted:

How many bonus units can fight a full team with just neutral triangle matchups? Most of them struggle to do more than a single fight with WTD, unless you have a healer in your arena core.

Anna's refine would be good on a unit with merges and IVs. But units need an in-combat refine to take on foes with a +10 merge advantage.

Of the rotating permanents that's basically just Fjorm occasionally, assuming the WTD enemy is a green mage. Alphonse had enough attack to make a go of it against low defense blues if he actually got the attack, but with him gaining Triangle Attack on his refine that's going out the window.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

I like to have at least one Swap or Draw Back on every team because sometimes Reposition just isn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Andrast posted:

Draw Back is great on ranged units, but Swap doesn't let you pull everyone out of an enemy attack range since the assisting unit will just take the place of the assisted one. It has its uses, but in general it's strictly inferior to the Big Two

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 9, 2018