Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dillbag posted:

What does the guy have to do to get banned? At least make him BWM over :10bux: for the thread's sake. It would be on-topic, at least.
You have your take on things, and I have my take on things. I am honest, I am factually correct, I have a reasoned and logical basis for my take.

Aside from being extremely harsh with a lack of human compassion, what differs my take from the rest of the people here?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Shot the poo poo with the caretaker at my rental condo unit yesterday. He mentioned there was a new tenant in an apartment, which I thought was occupied, so I asked him what came of the previous tenant. "Oh, he put his house on the market, rented this condo, but he couldn't get the price he wanted for the house, so he moved back after six months here."

The rent for that condo is USD3600 per month, plus overhead for moving out. :stare:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I see we moved straight from Hyperloop to boring company.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

John Smith posted:

Aside from being extremely harsh with a lack of human compassion, what differs my take from the rest of the people here?

Sociopaths can't comprehend how and why normal human beings should interact with each other in a manner that benefits both of them, which makes your take impractical or offensive in situations that are obvious to everyone else.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
All the posts about ignoring and banning John Smith are more annoying than John Smith's own posts imo (because I've ignored the latter)

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FateFree posted:

Sociopaths can't comprehend how and why normal human beings should interact with each other in a manner that benefits both of them, which makes your take impractical or offensive in situations that are obvious to everyone else.
What nonsense. My ruthless and harsh solutions may be offensive to many, but they certainly are not impractical.

You are allowing your emotions to get in the way of logic. They work, you just don't like them. Which is fair enough, but don't claim that they don't work. This is the type of weak thinking that I am pointing out.

For this latest incident, explain to me how appointing an independent law firm to act as executor of an estate instead of an untrained civilian from a bigot hateful family is an impractical solution.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 9, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Enchanted Hat posted:

All the posts about ignoring and banning John Smith are more annoying than John Smith's own posts imo (because I've ignored the latter)

If people didn't engage him and make his posts show up in quotes, it would be a non-issue. Still, it doesn't seem like it'll be an issue much longer. Number 28 with a bullet!

edit: i was expecting top-30 by end of the summer, and he made it before the week was out lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 9, 2018

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Shot the poo poo with the caretaker at my rental condo unit yesterday. He mentioned there was a new tenant in an apartment, which I thought was occupied, so I asked him what came of the previous tenant. "Oh, he put his house on the market, rented this condo, but he couldn't get the price he wanted for the house, so he moved back after six months here."

The rent for that condo is USD3600 per month, plus overhead for moving out. :stare:

I kinda wish we knew more about this guy's house. I really enjoy people overvaluing their houses for some reason.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

wilderthanmild posted:

I kinda wish we knew more about this guy's house. I really enjoy people overvaluing their houses for some reason.

Then travel to Sydney. You'll be estatic.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Then travel to Sydney. You'll be estatic.

It's less funny when other people agree with the overvaluation. Then it's just a price bubble. Or are houses in Sydney really not selling because everyone refuses to sell at a market price?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm more talking about the people listing their houses way over market and being stubborn about lowering the price. In the current housing market if your house isn't selling the issue is likely price. A coworker of mine had his house on the market for over a year and it wasn't selling. He also kept making little improvements to the home, and then raising the price the cost of the improvement plus a little bit. Last I checked he still hadn't sold and was still raising the price.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Maybe he's been reading economic theory and thinks his house is a Veblen good?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vox Nihili posted:

Brief reminder that Musky said he could do a hylerloop tube between LA and SF for $6 billion, total. Completely accurate estimate, I'm sure.

Ha. I looked up info on Boston's Big Dig, to see how it would compare to this proposed project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig posted:

The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998 at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006). However, the project was completed in December 2007 at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%) as of 2006. The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it would not be paid off until 2038.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
For all the bitching and whining about various bad posters, I just want to mirror the sentiment the true crime is those who quote them and thus make their lovely intellectual turds circumvent the ignore list. They are the ones who should be punished.

So, quote this post at your own peril.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

quote:

My parents want to put their house in my name so they can take out on a loan on it. Is there any risk to this?

I'm 20 years old and have fair credit and don't live with my parents. They have terrible credit but live in a house they own worth 140,000 dollars. They are completely broke right now because they make awful financial decisions.

I'm not smart enough to know what to do about this or if there's a big risk, but my mom asked me today if they could put the house in my name and I could take out a loan on it. She said she would pay the monthly payments out of the loan. Is there any safe way to go about this? She said it's not risky at all, but I assume the fear would be that she wouldn't pay the monthly payments and I would end up getting my credit screwed up and owing money.

However, she said I would get 5,000 dollars out of it and that money would really help me moving into my own place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/95oqve/my_parents_want_to_put_their_house_in_my_name_so/?st=jkmnmnc1&sh=2b56ab06

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
At least she’s smart enough to realize something is up. How many fools trust their parents blindly and do this I wonder?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

StormDrain posted:

At least she’s smart enough to realize something is up. How many fools trust their parents blindly and do this I wonder?

I want a double-reverse-BWM where the kid evicts the parents and sells the house for a profit after they make the straw transfer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sirotan posted:

Ha. I looked up info on Boston's Big Dig, to see how it would compare to this proposed project:

This is about the NY subway costs, but I would guess Boston has similar issues:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

tl;dr Americans are terrible at digging tunnels.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

John Smith posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

John Smith is the epitome of the loud annoying Trump voter that tries to drag you into the mud by insisting that every single point needs to be substantiated and cross referenced. He also makes blatant statements with no substantiation of his own, but preys on the fact that no one wants to be arsed with researching it themselves to prove them wrong. Then gets all smug when you don't care to prove him wrong and claims victory.

Just an all around rear end to be around and should just be perma'd at this point.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Sepherothic posted:

I assume the fear would be that she wouldn't pay the monthly payments and I would end up getting my credit screwed up and owing money. 

Why is the credit rating always the first thing these people think about!?

"I could be on the hook for a $140,000 loan, I guess, whatever, but MY CREDIT RATING!!!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The problem is what happens next. Like they parents are making all the payments, but then she comes home one day and there's an over-inflated appraisal they want her to sign for the 2nd mortgage. That $140k is not going to last them very long and then they're going to want more out of their magic child piggy bank. They will also tell her she gets $5k from the new mortgage she signs.

TraderStav posted:

Just an all around rear end to be around and should just be perma'd at this point.

He's Alex Jones in that he's real good at running up to the limits of what's allowed and stopping right before he gets probated.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TraderStav posted:

John Smith is the epitome of the loud annoying Trump voter that tries to drag you into the mud by insisting that every single point needs to be substantiated and cross referenced. He also makes blatant statements with no substantiation of his own, but preys on the fact that no one wants to be arsed with researching it themselves to prove them wrong. Then gets all smug when you don't care to prove him wrong and claims victory.

But haven't you heard? He's honest, factually correct, reasoned and logical

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But haven't you heard? He's honest, factually correct, reasoned and logical

Prove him wrong!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's Alex Jones in that he's real good at running up to the limits of what's allowed and stopping right before he gets probated.

Haha, not any more!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If John Smith admitted to being black then moneyball would threadban him.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

wtf

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
:stare:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TraderStav posted:

Projecting much?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

And wtf?

Anyway, I am Chinese as I have repeatedly said. And the typical successful Asian. <insert smug look of self-congrations>

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Free TB

/e http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2018/07/10/gofundme yikes gofundme truly is GWM b/c of BWM

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The best part is that OP doesn't seem to realize where the $5000 would come from(the loan money they'd be giving to the parents) until it's explained to them.

"We'll make the loan payments using the money from the loan" is the second-best part.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
He could also probably turn the scam around on them, take the house in his name, never get the loan, and then evict them and have a free house. I'm not saying he SHOULD do this, just highlighting a way this is extra dumb all around.

Edit: I kind of doubt they could even transfer the house to his name without transferring the mortgage to him, right?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 9, 2018

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

At least it's a more worthy cause than the college aged girls looking for travel funding to find themselves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

n8r posted:

This is about the NY subway costs, but I would guess Boston has similar issues:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

tl;dr Americans are terrible at digging tunnels.
It would be interesting to see what the public sentiment of unions would be if public sector unions didn't exist

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wilderthanmild posted:

He could also probably turn the scam around on them, take the house in his name, never get the loan, and then evict them and have a free house. I'm not saying he SHOULD do this, just highlighting a way this is extra dumb all around.

Edit: I kind of doubt they could even transfer the house to his name without transferring the mortgage to him, right?

Per the OP the parents own the house outright, but have terrible credit. Probably other consumer debt - and probably abysmal amounts if they own a house free and clear that no one will give them a mortgage on.

If there IS a mortgage, then everything will break down when they try to transfer the title.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Madrid dug a bunch of tunnels for their highways ~20 years ago and they are great. Nobody has ever stereotyped Spanish public works for high worker productivity, low corruption or innovative engineering but they managed to do much better than Boston/NYC. Then again, surface street traffic is still miserable there so :shrug:

They also close down one of the highways in sections every year so sheep can pass through, a pretty adorable tradition.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devor posted:

Per the OP the parents own the house outright,
Questionable, if grandma's still alive:

OP posted:

I should have added that the house was recently paid off. It's not even in my parents name right now, it's in my grandma's name I believe. They said they were thinking of putting it in my name, only my name.
I'm dying for more information on this part because it'd change a lot here. Did grandma(rightfully) not trust her idiot child and child-in-law with the house? If so, is she aware of the parent's harebrained scheme here? Alternatively, do parents have POA over grandma and are robbing her of everything they can?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The amount of people who sign amazingly terrible car loans is crazy.

The worst part is that half of them always say, "I didn't realize that 20% APR is a bad rate for car loans. How could I have known that?" Then, when asked if they knew they were going to be financing before they bought the car respond, "Yes, what does that have to do with anything?"

In this situation, she didn't even have an emergency or time constraint to justify getting pressured into the sale. She wanted a new car and drove to this place with the advance knowledge that she would be buying a new car and STILL did this.

Monthly payments that are more than 1/3 of your income, 20% APR, and a $13,000 loan for a 10-year old Nissan Sentra with 136,000 miles.

The KBB private party value is ~$3,000.

quote:

My GF got hosed on a car loan, what are her options?

Last September my girlfriend bought a 2008 Nissan Sentra from a shady used car lot in Latonia, KY (Time Auto Sales, avoid this place like the plague). They absolutely took advantage of her lack of information about cars/financing at the time and hosed her on a car loan. I wish I would have known her at the time and I would have strongly advised her against doing business with these shady used car lots, let alone purchasing this car. The car was in decent condition but had 100,000 miles on it, they sold the car her for $10,148 (which is more than TWICE what the car is worth) and financed it at an APR of 19.5%, bringing the total to $12,821 with interest. She is to make 128 payments of $100 until February of 2020, this equates to nearly $400 a month which is 1/3 of her income. To state the obvious, she cannot afford this. I make decent money and I would struggle to afford this. I don't know anyone whose monthly payment is this outrageous for a car, and if it is they are driving a high-end luxury car. She has been paying on the car for nearly a year now and still owes around $7.5k.

We have looked into refinancing the car with Navy Federal (she is active Army Reserves), but they will not give her a loan because her payoff amount is more than what the car is worth (they valued the car at about $4k in its current condition). The car has about 136k miles on it and is starting to rack up some maintenance costs. The muffler is rusting out (this was something that was not disclosed to her at the time of purchase) and she is going to need her front breaks done soon. I am afraid she is going to be stuck in an awful situation where her car isn't going to last much longer and she is going to be on the hook for the payoff amount of her loan with no car to show for.

Besides refinancing, does she have any other options? I know there are some crafty and savvy redditors our there, I would love for your advice/take on this situation. Thanks in advance!

Some stereotypes are true:

quote:

she is active Army Reserves

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Might be more Bad With Law(Is there an SA thread for this?) than bad with money, but speaking of mortgage fraud I found this somewhat amusing. I spoiler tagged the update from the OP

TIFU by committing mortgage fraud. What can I do?

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons. I am in full-panic mode right now.

I royally hosed up and am 100% admitting that what I did was wrong. Any name you wanna call me, you’re absolutely right. Right now I just want to know how I can fix this, preferably before poo poo hits the fan.

My boyfriend is applying for a mortgage. He was denied and told he needed a co-signer. Enter mom, small business owner and recent new homeowner herself.

To say this process has been a nightmare would be an understatement. We are looking at an FHA loan. Federal. What a wonderful kind of mortgage to commit fraud on, don’t you think? Can’t possibly be any serious repercussions for falsifying information on a federal...ohh, right. 30 years in prison and massive million-dollar fines. That’s right.

When we first started out, we were told the lender would pull a tax transcript. That’s fine. All that shows is the same information provided on the tax returns but in a more simplified format. It doesn’t show what is still due and what has been paid.

Well it turns out that BF’s mom owes enough on her taxes that it pushes her up past the debt to income ratio she’s allowed to be at. So we decided to make a fake bank statement showing she paid the taxes. I was the one who made the statement since I am the one with the skill to make digital alterations. It has been one thing after another and at this point we were so frustrated we said gently caress it. Just do it.

It’s not that we can’t afford the mortgage. We can more than afford the mortgage, but the strings attached to getting an FHA loan (which we are doing because we can’t afford the down payment on a conventional loan and don’t qualify for one of the ones you only have to pay 3% on) are so numerous and stringent that it’s ridiculous. His mom JUST got a mortgage and they didn’t need even half the stuff from her that our lender is wanting from her.

I submitted the altered documents to my loan officer yesterday and today she sent me a file containing all the items that needed verified and who was responsible for providing what. Most of it was already verified. However, while looking through the list, I noticed that a request had been added on 8/1 to add to the file. A request for the lender to obtain a Record of Account tax transcript. This goes beyond a regular tax transcript and allows the lender to obtain precisely what is owed and what has been paid. To say that I am in full out panic mode is putting it mildly. And since it’s a weekend, there’s a very good chance the report will be ready Monday. Once they look at it, they will see very plainly that we lied. Specifically, I lied as I am the one who did the actual falsifying.

This lender has a tendency to take ages to look at stuff but I’m willing to bet this will go quickly. I am friendly with our loan officer and we text often as we know each other outside of her job. If I call her tomorrow and tell her something has come up and we need to stop our application (for which closing is literally only a week and a half away), will I save myself from fraud charges? Are they still allowed to go in and look at our documents after we’ve said we want out? Is there any hope at all for me? I realize that I had the intent to commit fraud, but I guess I’m wondering if pull the app and don’t actually get issued the loan, will it still count?

Maybe I don’t deserve hope. I admit that what I’ve done is terrible and wrong and it’s people like me that give others a more difficult time because stronger measures have to be put in place to stop these things. I never intended to hurt anyone. I never intended to rip off the lender. We intended to pay every single mortgage payment for 30 years. It was just getting our foot in the door that we struggled with and that’s why I did what I did. To put a roof over my family’s head and get us out of the lovely situation we’re in now, I would do almost anything. But go to jail for decades? Get slapped with fines I can never pay? Ruin my life and the lives of anyone associated with this ordeal? I just can’t do it. I just want to put a stop to this before it becomes that.

UPDATE: Thanks for the responses so far. I have contacted the loan officer and basically told her an emergency situation arose and we will need to withdraw the loan application because we may have to move out of state to help the bf’s mom. I let her draw her own conclusions. At the moment things are still shaky. Our agents are pissed and won’t stop texting to get more details. We offered to pay for any repairs the sellers have made to try to head off the possibility of being sued though we know it’s still on the table for that to potentially happen. We know a lot of people are angry with this. But a felony isn’t something I personally find worth it. I’d rather piss everyone off than get arrested. I’ll update again once we get through the weekend or anything else major happens.

UPDATE #2: we have signed a termination of contract as well as a separate contract agreeing to pay $2500 in damages to the seller. The loan officer says she will be pulling the app on Monday, but in case our files are looked at before she has a chance to do this, or in case it is checked after the app is pulled and flagged for suspicious activity, I have the name of a mortgage fraud lawyer with a good reputation that I will contact immediately. I may call him anyway on Monday just in case, but I’m going to wait until the morning is over to see what, if anything, is said to us about the application. I’ve got my fingers crossed they won’t bother to review anything else of ours but I’m not holding my breath and I’m prepared to face being charged with a crime as best as I can be. Hopefully the help of a lawyer can mitigate the damages and help reduce or dismiss my charges if it comes to that.

I appreciate all the responses. No matter what your opinion of me is, and regardless of whether I completely agree with you or not, I read every single response and appreciate all of them. Things I have taken from this are:

1) Shop around. Do some research. Don’t believe everything someone says. Get a second opinion if what is being said sounds fishy, false or misinformed.
2) If we’re being rejected, it’s for a reason. If we find ourselves tempted to alter documents, then it means we most likely can’t qualify for it on our own and committing fraud to obtain a mortgage isn’t worth it. Good chances we will end up unable to pay our mortgage if we have to lie to get it in the first place.