Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

There's absolutely no reason Quake should be selected to be a leader when Melinda May would have been a much better fit other than Coulson really wanting to retire with her. She's a bit cold and distant but she's a natural leader and everyone has a great deal of respect for her, she's been the second in command for ages and has a lot of experience both in-combat and doing tactical maneuvers, she has a very maternal instinct towards every member of the group and seldom uses that to patronize others unless they're field agents directly being trained by her. And she doesn't underestimate anyone in the group which even other super elite agents like Bobbi did with Simmons.

May doesn't want to be the leader, at all. She would rather retire, and was basically retired, until she came back for Coulson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

May doesn't want to be the leader, at all. She would rather retire, and was basically retired, until she came back for Coulson.

Yeah, because Quake really really wanted to be a leader. She would rather not even be an agent as she has gone rogue in the past, and was vocally against being a leader.

May is exactly in the same position as Quake except being more qualified, having a bigger sense of responsibility, being effectively better at leading and not screwing things up, and not having a history of constantly going rogue. I didn't say she was a perfect fit, I said she was a better fit. None of those 3 characters want to be leaders, Coulson has been trying to desperately die/retire for a while now and both May and Quake push him into staying there anyway. Those 3 characters have showed repeatedly that they don't want to be there.

If you're going to consider "doesn't want to be a leader at all" which, well, they should, then Coulson would have given in and retired a while ago, May and Quake wouldn't have pushed him, Coulson wouldn't have pushed Quake, and probably the leader of SHIELD right now would be evil dictator Fitz. I'm talking that since Coulson clearly doesn't care about who wants to be where and why, May was an objectively better choice, as well as probably anyone else to be honest.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Uses advanced one-of-a-kind tech to try to resurrect a guy stating DNR with a megaphone to remain as their undead leader despite that guy not wanting to be even alive anymore and a huge prophecy saying the world is going to literally blow if they try to save Coulson.

I mean, yeah, if you look from that point of view, they really don't want to be leaders.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Coulson wanted to make Daisy leader because he considers her his surrogate daughter. Also, she’s essentially the audience POV main character. It’s not complicated.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Fakename posted:

Coulson wanted to make Daisy leader because he considers her his surrogate daughter. Also, she’s essentially the audience POV main character. It’s not complicated.

Apparently it is? I dunno.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I still don't get why the leader of any organization like this is at the front lines in danger of being killed in every mission, with no plan of succession should he/she as much as accidentally chokes to death on a burger.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well in most of the series they’re basically rogue agents and aren’t affiliated with anyone so it’s not like they are a traditional branch of government. Plus it’s a TV show.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They should hand leadership to Simmons.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Who would then immediately be killed/teleported to an alternate dimension/replaced by a skrull/etc because Fitz and Simmons aren't allowed to know happiness apparently.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avalerion posted:

That would own so hard.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ABC President Channing Dungey posted:

What's the future of Agents of SHIELD? Is the shortened 13-episode run a final season?

We'll see. I feel like last season was our strongest creative season ever and the fan base remains very loyal — and we do very well in delayed viewing. It's my hope that by moving it to summer, where our live-same-day ratings are less important and it might be able to continue for longer.
from here

Not terribly meaningful, just saw it amidst the other stuff

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They should go track Robbie down and make him the new Director.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are they even part of the government still? I can’t keep track. They might as well just be mercenaries that don’t get paid.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I still don't get why the leader of any organization like this is at the front lines in danger of being killed in every mission, with no plan of succession should he/she as much as accidentally chokes to death on a burger.
Its pretty horizontal as an org despite having a head which I respect

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Are they even part of the government still? I can’t keep track. They might as well just be mercenaries that don’t get paid.

I feel they are funded by some shadow cabal ala X-com

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't they have Fury's List of Ill-Gotten Gains to keep them funded?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

OB_Juan posted:

Don't they have Fury's List of Ill-Gotten Gains to keep them funded?

they gave the cube of management to S.H.I.E.L.D. but on a boat and never got it back. Also, those guys have disappeared after the Inhuman coming out arc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

Who would then immediately be killed/teleported to an alternate dimension/replaced by a skrull/etc because Fitz and Simmons aren't allowed to know happiness apparently.

Because that's all the Whedons know how to do, and they're afriad to try something new.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Bring Ward back to be new director, post snap.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

nashona posted:

Bring Framework Ward back to be new director, post snap.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Open up the Fitzsicle and it’s Ward.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ward in chronos' body and he knows where Fitz is hidden

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just hope the next season isn't like that season of Sliders where they try to find their friends but at the end of the season it's revealed that they're dead and they just replace them with an alternate universe version played by a different actor because Jerry O'Connell doesn't want to come back or whatever.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I just watched all of season 5 in two days, and I've come to two conclusions.

1. Deke is the best. I really want to do some kind of compare and contrast between him and Lincoln, because they really are like night and day in terms of how well they were introduced and integrated into the show. One was done really really well and one was... not. There's definitely a screenwriting lesson in there somewhere.

My favorite thing is how everyone responds to him. Like, I can't tell you how everyone responded to Blandy McBlanderson because I genuinely cannot remember. I can tell you exactly how everyone responded to Deke; poorly, and with great exasperation, and it was hilarious. He fits the kid brother role in the team perfectly; they're all openly annoyed by him and they tease him and give him tons of poo poo but he kind of revels in his role as the gadfly and gives as good as he gets, and of course, when the chips are down, he will 100% go to bat for them and vice versa. It's a really fun dynamic.

I also love his relationship with Fitzsimmons, where Fitz regards him with open disdain but it's implied (and later all but stated outright by Daisy) that it's because he's actually similar to Fitz in a lot of ways, but Jemma loves him in the exact way a doting grandmother unconditionally loves her shittiest grandkid.
:v: "He's the worst." "Well I think he's perfect!" :j:

2. This realization came about while reading the backlog for this thread, but I feel it strongly and would probably have felt the same in real time so here goes; I don't give a gently caress about the MCU at large and I wish the show would just ignore it entirely. Yeah, the Winter Soldier thing was cool, but ever since that it's just been basically the show getting table scraps from the MCU's buffet, and I'm sick of it. It's an unhealthy one-sided relationship where the show bends over backwards to accommodate the movies and gets gently caress all in return. gently caress the movies.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
TEDx, surely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think this thread was at its most tedious when people were discussing/speculating on how this character was clearly going to be this character from a comic and then arguing the toss because they're all massive comic book nerds.
Thankfully, this thread has been largely dead for the last couple of seasons, so there hasn't been much of that.

Generally, I think S5 was a step-down in quality from S4, but I think it was smaller in relation to how much the budget was slashed, and it was still a very solid season.
I'm looking forward to S6, when it's finally available digitally in the UK in 18 months or so.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

kingturnip posted:

I think this thread was at its most tedious when people were discussing/speculating on how this character was clearly going to be this character from a comic and then arguing the toss because they're all massive comic book nerds.
Thankfully, this thread has been largely dead for the last couple of seasons, so there hasn't been much of that.

Generally, I think S5 was a step-down in quality from S4, but I think it was smaller in relation to how much the budget was slashed, and it was still a very solid season.
I'm looking forward to S6, when it's finally available digitally in the UK in 18 months or so.

S5 dealt with a lot of constraints, and as much as there were parts of the season that were strange and uneven, I thought the final several episodes eclipsed pretty much anything that came before.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I rewatched the first 3 seasons earlier this year, and on rewatching I did like Lincoln a little bit better. One of the main problems with him is that he's kinda introduced and despite he and Daisy having zero chemistry, they're making googly eyes at each other because the script demands it. Also, as a side effect of this, he has no real personality other than "I like Daisy". I mean, it's stated outright during Season 3 that she's the only reason he's sticking around, and the show never does anything to demonstrate that there's any more to him. Even his death is all about her.

Also the MCU owns and I understand why AoS can't really have any tighter connections to it, but I do like when they drop little references in. It is part of what people love about having a shared universe (even in comics). Yeah, the big bombastic crossovers like Infinity War can be fun when you see everyone interacting. But sometimes it's just cool to have a little reference to goings on elsewhere.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

irlZaphod posted:

I rewatched the first 3 seasons earlier this year, and on rewatching I did like Lincoln a little bit better. One of the main problems with him is that he's kinda introduced and despite he and Daisy having zero chemistry, they're making googly eyes at each other because the script demands it. Also, as a side effect of this, he has no real personality other than "I like Daisy". I mean, it's stated outright during Season 3 that she's the only reason he's sticking around, and the show never does anything to demonstrate that there's any more to him. Even his death is all about her.

Also the MCU owns and I understand why AoS can't really have any tighter connections to it, but I do like when they drop little references in. It is part of what people love about having a shared universe (even in comics). Yeah, the big bombastic crossovers like Infinity War can be fun when you see everyone interacting. But sometimes it's just cool to have a little reference to goings on elsewhere.

At this point I'd be happy with Netflix going "Oh yeah Hell's kitchen fell apart for a while after Daredevil disintegrated but he's fine now" in like Iron Fist season 2 or something

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

At this point I'd be happy with Netflix going "Oh yeah Hell's kitchen fell apart for a while after Daredevil disintegrated but he's fine now" in like Iron Fist season 2 or something
I genuinely don't understand this, the Netflix shows have always dropped little references to each other. I mean, there was an entire character who was hopping from one show to the next, and others who showed up in short cameo appearances.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I genuinely don't understand this, the Netflix shows have always dropped little references to each other. I mean, there was an entire character who was hopping from one show to the next, and others who showed up in short cameo appearances.

I'd say more than "little references" Danny showed up to help Luke find his zen or whatever in the latest season of Luke Cage.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm a bit behind on my watching and haven't finished JJ Season 2, or seen any of Luke Cage or Iron Fist Season 2. But before that it was mostly references to characters or events, plus Claire meeting all the characters so that she could get them together in Defenders, Foggy showing up in Jessica Jones I think? And Carrie Ann Moss's character, and Madame Gao etc. But basically, there's been a lot of "shared universe" stuff in the Netflix shows.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man, they're getting so much mileage out of the deaging tech they created for Iron Man 3. That, both Ant-Man movies, and now this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
what's that from? I didn't see it in the Captain Marvel teaser, are there promo shots somewhere?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s one of the neater newer effects that’s come out and it looks pretty good most of the time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

what's that from? I didn't see it in the Captain Marvel teaser, are there promo shots somewhere?

It's in there. Right after she punches the old lady, then we see Ronan from behind, then that. Skip to 1:32, when Fury is saying, "We can't do this alone".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its not like Marvel has some patent on magical "de aging tech", they just tell people they do.

The truth is literally every single movie has digital makeup done now. SOME sort of VFX work that digitally removes eye wrinkles, forehead creases, it's in every modern actor and actress contract. Some sort of digital sweetening to their skin texture or something. And you've never even heard of the biggest/best companies that do this because it's all hushed up stuff that totally doesn't happen *wink wink* and every studio keeps their digital makeup teams VERY close to their chest. I wouldn't be surprised if specific actors have specific companies that solely work on them and only them, like a DiCaprio or Cruise.

So of course Marvel has a thousand hits under their belt to slowly introduce the idea to the public, a literal army of people employed solely to advance their tech, either in-house, or external companies that are basically attached at the hip at this point, and they take it WAY farther than anybody else. Very similar things are being done to Adam Sandler, Dwayne Johnson, etc, just.....super subtly, rather than smacking you in the face with it Marvel style. But the entire film industry is doing this, that's why the tech is evolving so nicely.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 18, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kheldarn posted:

It's in there. Right after she punches the old lady, then we see Ronan from behind, then that. Skip to 1:32, when Fury is saying, "We can't do this alone".

oh, apparently I was watching something other than the actual video from Marvel, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

he still looks like he’s in his 40s tbh