Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Wow, Mafia 3 is incredibly cathartic in a way that nuWolf and Far Cry were not. Gunning down and stabbing the poo poo out of racist fucks flying their Confederate flags is awesome.

This is honestly the only reason I've wanted to play it since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

This is honestly the only reason I've wanted to play it since it came out.

Yeah I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It scratches a lot of the itches that the (actually quite good) Godfather game did, plus I get to visit absolutely brutal violence on hideous people. I can already tell it is going to get repetitive but hell, for the price of free I can't criticize it too much.

kinda wondering where they'll take the series from here if there's a Mafia 4. Jumping to the 80s might get it criticized for being too much like Vice City but more serious Vice City on current tech sounds like my jam. Then again, maybe it'd be worth going back and revisiting the 20s/30s again, because it's not a time period you see in a ton of games.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 9, 2018

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am so loving hyped for Dragon Quest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

If Japanese games become more like Russian games then hold onto your butts.

This is all gonna be worth it when we get Baroque 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Housh posted:

I can't wait to play Russia's first video game console

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendy_%28console%29

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Godfather game was really good so if there is a little of that floating around mafia 3 and killing Confederates I'm definitely going to checkit out

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

verbal enema posted:

Godfather game was really good so if there is a little of that floating around mafia 3 and killing Confederates I'm definitely going to checkit out

Not so much in the details but I get a whiff in the territory-taking stuff. If you have plus though it's a no brainer.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrNutt posted:

Not so much in the details but I get a whiff in the territory-taking stuff. If you have plus though it's a no brainer.

Sounds good downloading now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PSVR is getting a pretty slick looking R6 siege knock off this month. I really can't wait to play it. This is what I've been wanting for PSVR since it came out.

And every site that has previewed it says it kicks rear end. I really hope it can hold a decent player base which is VR's biggest problem with MP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3srjeKpK0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA7BFNImcdI

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

verbal enema posted:

Sounds good downloading now

It's too bad that the original game is undoubtedly a rights clusterfuck because man, I'd love to play an HD Godfather. Did it come out on 360/PS3? I remember playing the OG Xbox version but can't remember if it was ported over to the new consoles or not.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

DrNutt posted:

It's too bad that the original game is undoubtedly a rights clusterfuck because man, I'd love to play an HD Godfather. Did it come out on 360/PS3? I remember playing the OG Xbox version but can't remember if it was ported over to the new consoles or not.

Yeah there was a rerelease called The Don’s Edition. It’s basically the same game but with some bullshit sixaxis stuff tacked on and the graphics upgraded a tiny bit. Still it was a really solid game that didn’t get enough attention.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

God of War: They're setting up a lot of stuff in these first bits. I'm guessing the man who attacked Kratos was Loki, given the frost attacks and generally being a cocky jerk and the the interesting part wasn't just Atreus being Kratos' son but also "Faye", which might be a nordic deity I am not aware of(A nickname for Freiyja?). Kratos also wields the Axe but didn't know it was crafted by Brok and his brother? Interesting.

Overall it's being a good experience, and quite more challenging than what I expect from a God of War game. The BR Dub is also fantastic, and in the opening they credit them instead of the original voice actors which is a fantastic little detail.

I'm so loving dumb, of course the guy that keeps hammering how he doesn't feel is Baldur. :doh:

Now I got the boat and did some sidequesting, and I know Kratos is always perpetually angry, but we're being rewarded for this! And the rewards help you kill stuff more deader!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DrNutt posted:

The PS4 has been out for ten years. Don't believe me? Look it up.

You motherfucker

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samuringa posted:

I'm so loving dumb, of course the guy that keeps hammering how he doesn't feel is Baldur. :doh:

Now I got the boat and did some sidequesting, and I know Kratos is always perpetually angry, but we're being rewarded for this! And the rewards help you kill stuff more deader!

You're making some good guesses still! But GoW dives pretty deep into some Prose Edda poo poo, there are a lot of obscure characters highlighted that I hadn't ever heard about as a casual fan of norse mythology.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So in Mafia 3 I've finally found a game that turns my PS4 into a 747. God drat. Seems to happen fairly randomly, not at all related to anything in particular happening in the game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to second the love for Rockstar, Dreamcast, Terry Bogard, K from King of Fighters, Yakuza, and Dragon Quest I've seen in these fine pages.

Now if only we could combine all these things. Perhaps some kind of lovingly detailed open world action adventure where the KoF crew get transported into a fantasy world like in that anime Vision of Escaflowne, along with Kiryu and friends. With music by that Sonic guitar guy, with some original Crush 40 jams.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

So in Mafia 3 I've finally found a game that turns my PS4 into a 747. God drat. Seems to happen fairly randomly, not at all related to anything in particular happening in the game.

Wolfenstein II is that game for me. God of War made it a little loud, but New Colossus absolutely goes full-on jet engine mode

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lobok posted:

Videogames cause violence!

And now I'm expecting our mod to come by, crack his knuckles, and go "Hell yeah I do."
:twisted:

Escobarbarian posted:

VideoGames: where are you up to in Wolfenstein II? Because holy poo poo, there’s been some amazing stuff in it these last 45 minutes or so.

I started and finished the same day. I was glued to it completely. It is tremendously rare that I will ever complete a game on the same day. In fact the only other game I finished the same day (as I was just as glued to it) was Dead Space.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Yeah it's the first game I've ever really noticed it happening with with mine too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DrNutt posted:

Mafia 3 is the only game that made my Ps4 crash so far

Still enjoyed it, but that was scary.

edit: Also, God of War:

Brok: " And never, ever jump off the ledge, unless you want to die"

Atreus: " Why would anyone do that?"

I just imagine Kratos making the hardest scowl a human face is capable of :allears:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 9, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m playing Yakuza 3 and well...it’s still a PS3 game. It’s a bit hard to return to from Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star.

Plus it’s still stupid slow to get started.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’m playing Yakuza 3 and well...it’s still a PS3 game. It’s a bit hard to return to from Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star.

Plus it’s still stupid slow to get started.

Is the HD one out yet in Japan or are you just revisiting it on ps3?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Is the HD one out yet in Japan or are you just revisiting it on ps3?
The HD one came out in Japan, yeah. It’s only half price so that reflects that apparently nothing was added to it other than higher res and frame rate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The HD one came out in Japan, yeah. It’s only half price so that reflects that apparently nothing was added to it other than higher res and frame rate.

How are the load times?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How are the load times?
Were they a problem before? I don’t remember. I haven’t noticed any problem in this one so far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to add any new features or anything. There's no way it would take them a reasonable amount of time to release all 3 ps3 games if they got any kind of kiwami features.

Does it still do the weird thing where it saves a system file and a save file?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to add any new features or anything. There's no way it would take them a reasonable amount of time to release all 3 ps3 games if they got any kind of kiwami features.

Does it still do the weird thing where it saves a system file and a save file?
Like 2/3 of the Japanese PS4 games I have do that and this one does too, yeah.

What interests me is that at least one of the tie-ins that was part of the original 3 but not any subsequent games is still here. Japan’s always all weird about that stuff so I’m surprised they didn’t demand they edit the game in that way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hope it’s not too rough going from 0, 1, 2 to those. I remember playing 3 and 4 for about an hour each back in the day and couldn’t get into them. It took me until 0 to fall in love with the series.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Were they a problem before? I don’t remember. I haven’t noticed any problem in this one so far.

Pretty slow on PS3 disk from what I remember.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hope it’s not too rough going from 0, 1, 2 to those. I remember playing 3 and 4 for about an hour each back in the day and couldn’t get into them. It took me until 0 to fall in love with the series.

from what i've seen of people streaming the demo of ps4 3, it seems to play like 0 & kiwami 1 but slightly chunkier so you'd probably just get used to it. 4 and 5 should look more like 0 and then you have 6 to get back to. i'm sure it will be fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The textures are not improved and a lot of them look really bad. But oh well, I don’t play Yakuza games for the textures. I play them for manly justice!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Special Edition 2 TB translucent blue PS4 Pro

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/09/introducing-the-500-million-limited-edition-ps4-pro-commemorating-500-million-systems-sold/

no idea just how "limited" they mean, like, branded game bundle limited, or that PS1-color limited where they were getting scalped for twice as much

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
2.5 hours until the Red Dead 2 gameplay video :f5:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Special Edition 2 TB translucent blue PS4 Pro

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/09/introducing-the-500-million-limited-edition-ps4-pro-commemorating-500-million-systems-sold/

no idea just how "limited" they mean, like, branded game bundle limited, or that PS1-color limited where they were getting scalped for twice as much

Says 50k on the console. Looks like they’re all numbered.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Escobarbarian posted:

Says 50k on the console. Looks like they’re all numbered.

#42069 is gonna fetch a nice price on eBay

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

2.5 hours until the Red Dead 2 gameplay video :f5:

I think Doom Eternal is supposed to be today or tomorrow as well.

Sorry, DOOM ETERNAL.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I want terry in every game. His move set is my all time fav. Are you ok!!?

I don't think you're the only one since he's going to be in Fighting Layer EX and they have a female version of him in SNK Heroines. :haw:

Hakkesshu posted:

Good post. I especially want to highlight Fatal Fury 3 which I think is even more stupidly impressive now than it was at the time. The way that game does atmosphere and non-verbal storytelling is some fuckin masterclass work I don't think has ever been replicated. The whole game plays out like a martial arts movie; the way every fight begins with like a two second build-up of music, character animation and background animation all in unison, the stage interactivity, the way the time of day changes between rounds, all the detailed building of story and characters from the previous games, round-specific music tracks, the sense of place, the terrible but legit funny translation - that game is so loving outstanding.

I know that balance-wise it's uh, uhm well yeah, but the more I've played that game over the years, the more surprised I am that it was a huge flop for SNK. It's straight up great and they really did nail the martial arts movie pacing they were going for with Art of Fighting 1 a couple of years earlier. Plus it's one of those odd ones where there's no other game out there that plays and feels quite like it. I used to be the only person in my immediate circle of folks who thought it was awesome and that was always weird to me because it does so much.

It was such a flop that, horribly, it's typically the sacrifice cartridge for bootlegs and home brew games like the stuff NGDev puts out. :(

Anyway fortunately it's available on the PS4 for a mere pittance!

The original Fatal Fury is on there too, which I will say isn't really worth playing a lot today per se, but it's kind of impressive how much of the presentation they had down even then, the way your opponents would taunt you if you turtled a lot, the backgrounds' time of day changing every round, so awesome.

I think my favorite unsung detail in the series that's been in every Fatal Fury game, since you almost never see it since it's a fighting game, is that when two characters are standing within range of each other's attacks, they tense up and their standing animations stop. :aaaaa:

Extremely relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqvBnxnMc74

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 9, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish they had followed the naming convention of the mods and called it ETERNAL DOOM instead. At least that’s what I’m going to call it, you can’t stop me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I wish they had followed the naming convention of the mods and called it THE ETERNAL DOOM instead. At least that’s what I’m going to call it, you can’t stop me.

Speaking of which, I've always liked the idiocy/confidence that SNK's official game titles are always in all caps and count THE as part of the name when you're looking them up. Like I don't know what janky king of fighting in a street game you guys are playing, we're playing THE KING OF FIGHTERS.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vikar Jerome posted:

from what i've seen of people streaming the demo of ps4 3, it seems to play like 0 & kiwami 1 but slightly chunkier so you'd probably just get used to it. 4 and 5 should look more like 0 and then you have 6 to get back to. i'm sure it will be fine.

Yeah I don’t know why I was worried anyway. I’m invested in this story and the characters too much. Before I started 0 I was thinking about skipping 3-5 but now I know how stupid that would be.

exquisite tea posted:

I wish they had followed the naming convention of the mods and called it ETERNAL DOOM instead. At least that’s what I’m going to call it, you can’t stop me.

I support you