Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Triarii posted:

The recipe exists but because this game is built out of popsicle sticks and chewing gum, it doesn't actually work. The refiner just sits there at 0% progress indefinitely.

This is the first thing I ever put in a refiner while learning how it works and I can report it does work. You just need to wait the full 2 minutes or whatever then it instantly clicks from 0 to 100% and spits out the gel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I clearly didn't give it long enough before I gave up. I've seen that timer act strange for other recipes (often reporting a time way, way higher than it actually takes) but it's apparently broken in a different, unique way for that particular recipe.

But regardless, just craft it in your inventory because it's instant there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah the timer is wonky, sometimes I think it shows seconds in place of minutes or something, especially for crafting the really basic products.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

In the experimental you get 3-4 salvaged tech modules digging the buried ones up

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 9, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It turns out that even with ten health pips and enough shielding that a drone can peck away at me for five minutes without depleting it, if I shoot a plasma grenade right as I strafe next to a rock I'm gonna die.

Is there a faster way to generate oxygen to stuff into these refiners? The atmosphere generators are so slow (and also not portable despite being in the portable tech list). Market bots only carry 90-140ish at a time and take several minutes to replenish.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
hey so maybe i don't quite get how ship/weapon upgrades entirely work - can you have more that 3 S-Class upgrades per tech? I swear I had two S's, an A and a B-Class movement module tied all together but when i dropped the B and installed a new S-Class (so 3 S's and an A) it did the usual TECH OVERLOAD poo poo. Can you do more as long as they aren't tied together? Or S's tap poo poo out?

e: wait is there a different refiner other than the portable lil guy? And what the rear end is the Base Reclamation Unit thing for?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 9, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Duke Chin posted:

hey so maybe i don't quite get how ship/weapon upgrades entirely work - can you have more that 3 S-Class upgrades per tech? I swear I had two S's, an A and a B-Class movement module tied all together but when i dropped the B and installed a new S-Class (so 3 S's and an A) it did the usual TECH OVERLOAD poo poo. Can you do more as long as they aren't tied together? Or S's tap poo poo out?

e: wait is there a different refiner other than the portable lil guy? And what the rear end is the Base Reclamation Unit thing for?

S and A-class counts as the same when it comes to the 3 module limit.
The base reclamation unit will contain the materials you used to build a base that you later deleted from the base computer.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Thundarr posted:

Is there a faster way to generate oxygen to stuff into these refiners? The atmosphere generators are so slow (and also not portable despite being in the portable tech list). Market bots only carry 90-140ish at a time and take several minutes to replenish.

Jump around to different space stations and buy your bulk goods there, the random ships / market terminal will have 1500ish oxygen (assuming they carry it at all, which is pretty frequent.)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The most painful element to acquire (if you ignore exploit-y-ish refinery recipes) seems to be Carbon.

Everything else is pretty readily acquired in bulk, from the market or ship trading NPCs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Duke Chin posted:

You can have three MODULES per tech. I'm gonna guess one of those movement things, which looks like a module, was one you crafted from a recipe rather than just installing. Those count separate.

Yeah, it's janky.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Also your tech and regular inventory count separately for the overload limit. I have six life support and six movement upgrades in my exosuit.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Quinton posted:

The most painful element to acquire (if you ignore exploit-y-ish refinery recipes) seems to be Carbon.

Everything else is pretty readily acquired in bulk, from the market or ship trading NPCs.

Isn't that also an infinite element just like the others?
Condensed carbon + oxygen to get more CC.
Condensed carbon in a refiner to get normal carbon, for when you need that instead.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What? Carbon is like literally everywhere? It's like ferrite dust.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ToastyPotato posted:

Hey the base computer archive quest unfucked itself after I bounced back and forth from every base I owned looking for the right infested building because my base names weren't showing up on the teleporters. But I also have noticed my first infested base isn't respawning... :stare: But using the signal booster trick, I now have access to 6 infested bases. Hopefully they do respawn though. Everything else seems to. Even the dioxite deposit near the base looked like it was filling in again.

What's the signal booster trick? I'm currently only using navigational data to look for artifacts, and then seek forgotten knowledge from those alien sites. Is there a way to scan for specifically these infested sites? (/edit: Since I just googled this, I take it you can scan for distress calls on the signal booster to find these?)

Also, I think my only problem with this game currently is that a lot of things, like underlying mechanics, or consequences from mechanics aren't either apparent to you, and not explained. And that's compacted by the fact that a lot of the searchable content online still refers to pre-NEXT content/mechanics.
For example, I'm 10 hours into this game and currently looking up what exactly happens when I die. The wiki tells me that my multi-tool, exosuit, jetpack and blueprints are never lost upon dying, and poo poo in my inventory gets put in a grave spot. Googling around now yields that the multi-tool may be damaged upon death^

Here's another thing that has confused me:

AirRaid posted:

I see that one and raise you this

Screen taken before scanner, mining and offensive upgrades installed.

The scanner upgrade I bought was marked as an upgrade to the scanner of my multitool, so I placed it below the scanner, but didn't get an adjacency bonus. Looking at the upgrade after placing it yields its an upgrade to the analysis visor, so I reloaded and placed it under it as in the picture above, still no adjacency bonus. But now I'm assuming that's normal?

Basically the same question for mobility upgrades, since I got an S-class one, and an A-class jetpack upgrade. I have to install them in my exosuit inventory, but since the slots below the jetpack are already taken, I take it I can't get any adjacency bonus out of them either and just plop them down anywhere?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 9, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I guess everyone has their own personal pet annoyance about the UI and/or mechanics. For me it has to be quest management, specifically the optional space station or random encounter missions. I just can't fathom some of the decisions behind how drat clunky it and things like not being able to see exactly what or where a mission is in the missions log, let alone the ability to do any kind of sorting or filtering. I still haven't got my head around whether or not cetain missions need to be completed and handed in the same system you got them or they're universal... it seems wildly inconsistant. It probably isn't, but it's hard to test when it's so hard to actually see the information about a mission or distinguish between multiple missions of the same type :argh:

Beyond that (and a few other issues) I am loving the game.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Here's my personal beginner's guide to many resources and good equipment:

Step 1. Do the basic steps until your ship has warp capabilities.
Step 2. Acquire 800+ nanites. You can do this by scanning plants and animals on a couple of planets and uploading them, or whatever other way you like.
Step 3. Jump from system to system, visiting only the space station (or use the multiplayer join "cheat" as described above). When there, visit the Multitool vendor and look for S-class scanner upgrades (and others if you have a lot of Nanites), visit the Exo-suit vendor and buy a suit slot and look for S-class upgrades to movement, life-support and shields and finally: visit the mission dude and accept every mission to kill sentinels or creatures. Repeat until you have several pages of missions to kill sentinels and creatures.
Step 4. Go to a random planet and murder everything you see for 10 minutes.
Step 5. Turn in 30 quests at once and receive a ridiculous amount of nanites, units and valuable trade materials.

The advantage of this method is that it generates both nanites, units and S-class upgrades for your suit, ship and tool.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I would like to be able to review a random mission before accepting it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

John F Bennett posted:

What? Carbon is like literally everywhere? It's like ferrite dust.

They're specifically talking about getting it in bulk.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

They're specifically talking about getting it in bulk.

But shooting a large plant is getting it in bulk. A shooting spree will net you several hundred Carbon easily. :v:

And then there are those red crystals, they will give out tons of condensed carbon.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The Mash posted:

Here's my personal beginner's guide to many resources and good equipment:

Step 1. Do the basic steps until your ship has warp capabilities.
Step 2. Acquire 800+ nanites. You can do this by scanning plants and animals on a couple of planets and uploading them, or whatever other way you like.
Step 3. Jump from system to system, visiting only the space station (or use the multiplayer join "cheat" as described above). When there, visit the Multitool vendor and look for S-class scanner upgrades (and others if you have a lot of Nanites), visit the Exo-suit vendor and buy a suit slot and look for S-class upgrades to movement, life-support and shields and finally: visit the mission dude and accept every mission to kill sentinels or creatures. Repeat until you have several pages of missions to kill sentinels and creatures.
Step 4. Go to a random planet and murder everything you see for 10 minutes.
Step 5. Turn in 30 quests at once and receive a ridiculous amount of nanites, units and valuable trade materials.

The advantage of this method is that it generates both nanites, units and S-class upgrades for your suit, ship and tool.

this is lit

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Another early tip to get a big Nanite boost is to swing past the Anomaly and the robot guy there will give you a bunch for all your milestones.

quote:

This was the bit I was having trouble with. Can you hand them in on any space station or do you have to go back to the one you got the mission from? At one point it felt like the former was true, and then suddenly it wasn't, but difficult to figure out exactly what was going on due to how lovely the quest log it.

Libluini posted:

But shooting a large plant is getting it in bulk. A shooting spree will net you several hundred Carbon easily. :v:

Guess so yeah. I've never had a problem getting a lot from trees. But it can be a pain sometimes when it's not (never?) in shops.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

This was the bit I was having trouble with. Can you hand them in on any space station or do you have to go back to the one you got the mission from? At one point it felt like the former was true, and then suddenly it wasn't, but difficult to figure out exactly what was going on due to how lovely the quest log it.

All of the ones you get from the mission board can be delivered at any mission board. Just make sure you have enough inventory space to accept everything.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
^^^ Thanks, I thoght that was it, but then I had some that I had completed but I couldn't hand in. Maybe it was inventory or possibly they were non-board missions.

EC posted:

I have three A upgrades for my scanner and only ever see "resource deposit" and never what type it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was playing around with this yesterday as someone else mentioned it (specifically on PS4) and I allways see the type of deposit even when it's way out of scanner range. Is it possible it relates to scanning the planet from space before you land? That's the only thing I could think of.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't think it actually removes anything from the deposit. By this time I've gotten thousands of copper from the first one I ever placed next to my base. Also, you can put more than one per deposit.

Yeah, I'm starting to realise that. Add it to the pile of 'Things the game should tell you but doesn't."

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Found a crashed A-class shuttle with 24 slots and a fuckton of broken stuff to repair. My brain says "shuttle < fighter", but it's an A-class with almost 3 times the slots of my current ship, so is that actually worth repairing and using over buying a ship in a station? From the ship offers I've seen in the stations, it seems to me that more slots make the ships ludicrously expensive, even at C/B-class.

And this shuttle has the same damage bar as my fighter, so maybe it's just the name, and it's really just a good upgrade to my fighter?

/edit:

Okay, this looks like an actual fuckton of poo poo to repair :stare:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 9, 2018

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Been playing for about 10 hours, my favorite part of the game so far is finding a busted as hell broken ship worth 50mil credits at a distress beacon I obtained for free and have been slowly repairing it over time. I don't have any money making schemes yet. A lot of these quests pay in parts worth 150k so I've just been doing those and selling expensive stuff I've been finding on planets.

All of the planets I went to for the first 9 hours or so were extremely similar. Eventually found a place that was frozen, but looked Earth-like with trees and dinosaur looking creatures. Found a planet labled as "overgrown" I think, making my base there.

Sentinels are annoying as gently caress. Game is pretty good.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Found a crashed A-class shuttle with 24 slots and a fuckton of broken stuff to repair. My brain says "shuttle < fighter", but it's an A-class with almost 3 times the slots of my current ship, so is that actually worth repairing and using over buying a ship in a station? From the ship offers I've seen in the stations, it seems to me that more slots make the ships ludicrously expensive, even at C/B-class.

And this shuttle has the same damage bar as my fighter, so maybe it's just the name, and it's really just a good upgrade to my fighter?

I've had a couple of shuttles now. They tend to be similar to fighters, but have more slots and come with an "efficient thruster" so use less fuel to take off (which makes thematic sense). Not sure if that's universal or just the ones I've seen.

One thing you can do is just repair the launch module and pulse drive which is enough to get it to a station, and when you're there you can trade it in. Although I got a little stuck for a while doing that and ultimately I could only trade it in for something that wasn't much of an upgrade.... except it didn't have all the busted slots that would have cost a lot to fix. I've gone from the starter ship to a busted C class hauler I salvaged (that I did the launch/pulse fix but nothing else) which I traded for a non-busted B class shuttle, which I just upgraded to an A class shuttle. Ultimately want a hauler, but good ones are still out of my price range.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's gonna be cheaper to repair, but it may take some time. Same as player health, ship health only scales when you install the shield upgrade. If you have a +shield modifier in the ship, it actually only changes the shield value, not health. I have no idea where shuttles land between haulers and fighters, but an A class ship is gonna be better then a B/C ship regardless of class.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks to y'all I maxed out my exosuit this morning. SO MUCH SPACE

Now back to unlocking blueprints and earning cash for the eventual super villain base...

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
We started a new game with my wife hosting. We eventually got the event where pirates were attacking a freighter. We fight them off, but the captain called me over to hand the freighter to me, not my wife. Anything I can do to get her a free freighter? Can I give her mine? Are these events repeatable?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:

Okay, this looks like an actual fuckton of poo poo to repair :stare:

Don't bother with repairs! Hop in it once to make it your primary ship, hop back in your original ship, then warp to your freighter. It will be there. Now, get back in it while on your freighter to make it your primary. Get out again and wait for an alien to come by. Trade your broken trashship for anything equivalent that comes by. It'll cost you 0 units and the alien doesn't know any better.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Gravy Jones posted:

^^^ Thanks, I thoght that was it, but then I had some that I had completed but I couldn't hand in. Maybe it was inventory or possibly they were non-board missions.

I was playing around with this yesterday as someone else mentioned it (specifically on PS4) and I allways see the type of deposit even when it's way out of scanner range. Is it possible it relates to scanning the planet from space before you land? That's the only thing I could think of.

I think I remember reading that PC abd PS4 can identify the type of deposit, but for some reason XBONE can’t.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't bother with repairs! Hop in it once to make it your primary ship, hop back in your original ship, then warp to your freighter. It will be there. Now, get back in it while on your freighter to make it your primary. Get out again and wait for an alien to come by. Trade your broken trashship for anything equivalent that comes by. It'll cost you 0 units and the alien doesn't know any better.

I have a free freighter but have done literally nothing with it yet. Didn't even realise you could have multiple ships using it. TOO MANY THINGS TO DO! I think despite the glitches and problematic UI this is a big part of why it's working as a chill sandbox game for me so much better than when it launched.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

This is true but repairing it is does raise the value greatly and while not cheap, does give a profit. For example, I have a C:34,8 shuttle in my freighter (identical to one I already repaired and flipped) which is still fully damaged. Repairing it will cost about 3.5M in tech modules and a large amount of raw materials (mostly chrom metal). Once fully repaired I know it is worth 15M, unrepaired it is worth ~2M. Since I already have the materials, I just need to take the time to do it all and cash in.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

central dogma posted:

We started a new game with my wife hosting. We eventually got the event where pirates were attacking a freighter. We fight them off, but the captain called me over to hand the freighter to me, not my wife. Anything I can do to get her a free freighter? Can I give her mine? Are these events repeatable?

Yeah these events happen constantly, just keep jumping around and you’ll land in a battle again.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Libluini posted:

And then there are those red crystals, they will give out tons of condensed carbon.
Several medium or large refiners will pump out thousands of carbon easily. If I had to shoot trees to get all the carbon required for building my base, I wouldn’t even bother.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Uh, I don't have a freighter yet, not even sure how to get one. I started building the construction panel and that let to a whole other slew of side questing I'm following now, mostly because the stuff I'm doing for my first overseer seems to yield a ton of blueprints.

I'm planning to kinda max out on whatever questing this overseer/scientist eventually have for me and then move on.

I came across another infested outpost with roughly seven million in cash from eggs, so I might just buy all the necessary stuff for repairs as some other poster said, use the ship for a while and then sell it off for a higher profit when something better comes along, I guess

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still trying to find a planet/spot worthy of being my main base. I either want beachfront, mountainside, or next to a portal, and so far I haven't found anything that lives up to my probably too harsh standards. I should really just start building in my freighter.

Speaking of building in the freighter, does your freighter base transfer over to the new one when you buy a freighter, or do you have to like dismantle everything first?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still trying to find a planet/spot worthy of being my main base. I either want beachfront, mountainside, or next to a portal, and so far I haven't found anything that lives up to my probably too harsh standards. I should really just start building in my freighter.

Speaking of building in the freighter, does your freighter base transfer over to the new one when you buy a freighter, or do you have to like dismantle everything first?

You don't have to dismantle it but it doesn't tranfer either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just as I planned on starting the repair on my new shuttle, I come across this bad boy on a distress signal.

Uh...even more to repair, but goddrat :stare:

And it's worth 100 million...repaired, I guess

/edit:

So, I can take the other A-class shuttle, repair the thrusters, fly it to the station and then just sell it there, and then repair this hauler?
/edit: Ah, poo poo, I can just trade it in, I guess

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 9, 2018