Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The group stealth rules will let you sneak pretty reliably if you've got a party composition where the number of people who are really bad at sneaking is less than or equal to the number of people who are really good at sneaking. If you have a Fighter on 8 dex in full plate that doesn't matter if you have a Rogue with 20 dex and expertise and vice versa, as they will effectively cancel out. You get one free slot for a brick shithouse and the actual success or failure is pretty much down to the average sneakiness of the rest of your party. It's good!

Where it starts to break down is if you want to be extra sneaky, either because it's extra important your sneaky party succeeds or because your otherwise not sneaky party really needs to sneak. You're looking at either a caster blowing an I Win point to allow the group to ignore the challenge entirely (Verbal component: the rest of the party shouting "Hooray for the wizard!") or you're asking the plate armour fighter to turn off one of her class features to avoid being quite so much of a burden. One of these makes you, the player, feel cool. The other, not so much.

good idea in isolation -> rest of 5e mechanics -> garbage fire

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There is no "surprise round" in 5e. Rather, if everyone passes their Stealth check versus the passive Perception scores of the enemies, then the enemies cannot take any actions during the first round of combat, and they can only take Reactions after the round has passed their initiative count.

In effect, "Round 1" becomes the Surprise round, as opposed to 3e/4e, where there was a "Surprise round" that was separate-and-apart from "Round 1" and came before it.

Now, if even just one person fails their Stealth check, then the enemies are not Surprised, and act normally, but everyone who did pass their Stealth check still starts the combat as Hidden. This can create a scenario where the Fighter fails the Stealth check, and so enemies will act normally in Round 1, but the Rogue did pass their Stealth check, and so is Hidden, and thus the enemies cannot target the Rogue until they reveal themselves.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My current group loves being sneaky, so I'm giving the Fighter/Rogue hybrid a quest to build armor that is half plate but stealthy. No-one else in the party wears armor.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is no "surprise round" in 5e. Rather, if everyone passes their Stealth check versus the passive Perception scores of the enemies, then the enemies cannot take any actions during the first round of combat, and they can only take Reactions after the round has passed their initiative count.

In effect, "Round 1" becomes the Surprise round, as opposed to 3e/4e, where there was a "Surprise round" that was separate-and-apart from "Round 1" and came before it.

Now, if even just one person fails their Stealth check, then the enemies are not Surprised, and act normally, but everyone who did pass their Stealth check still starts the combat as Hidden. This can create a scenario where the Fighter fails the Stealth check, and so enemies will act normally in Round 1, but the Rogue did pass their Stealth check, and so is Hidden, and thus the enemies cannot target the Rogue until they reveal themselves.

Note: this is why Assassin rogue is an awful subclass RAW. You will effectively never get to do your crazy auto-crit attacks unless you are solo. And if you are solo, you will probably die before the party can save you. An all-sneaky party might fix this, but even then, all it takes is one bad roll and poof goes your primary subclass feature!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sneaking around for the purposes of not being seen and sneaking around trying to get the drop on someone are two different activities with different, distinct mechanics. Sneaking around as a group falls under group checks, where as long as at least half the people pass the check everyone passes the check. Sneaking to cause people to be surprised works mostly like you described, except that only the enemies with passive perception above the failed sneak check are not surprised. If the Fighter does badly enough that the enemy necromancer spots them (and the necromancer recognises them as a threat), but not the necromancer's ghouls, the ghouls are still surprised, lose their turn, and are subject to any of the Rogue's surprise-dependant abilities.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 9, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

My current group loves being sneaky, so I'm giving the Fighter/Rogue hybrid a quest to build armor that is half plate but stealthy. No-one else in the party wears armor.

Are they building Mithral Armor?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean breastplates exist but I'm fully on board with players innovating like that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so, joining a new group and will be playing a Glamour Bard. I really like the ability to reposition the team with my inspiration and the Daily bonus commands seems like a lot of fun. Anywho, I'm torn between four options insofar as my race and wondered what would be optimal (any of the four work for me w/ regards to character concept/rp stuff)

They are:

Variant Human w/ Inspiring Leader

Variant Human w/ Warcaster

Glaysa Tiefling

Winged Tiefling

They all seem really fun, but flight seems awesome, the extra spells seems awesome, and the feats seem awesome. The Glaysa Tiefling ends up with the best stats and good abilities, but flight is awesome. So....anyone care to weigh in, or is there no real benefit to be gained going one way or another. Also I know from a charop perspective half-elves are the best............I just really have a hatred of being an elf or half elf as a role player. Oh and if it helps I know my party will have a Rogue, a Cleric, a Paladin, and a Fighter as the other characters

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Half-Elf using the Sun/High Elf Variant from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide to pick up Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade is always solid. +2 Cha and +1 Dex/Con can yield a pretty strong starting array, too.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Reik posted:

Half-Elf using the Sun/High Elf Variant from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide to pick up Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade is always solid. +2 Cha and +1 Dex/Con can yield a pretty strong starting array, too.

Yeah......I know Half-Elf is best, I just really dislike being an elf or half-elf. I really like the idea of being some variety of tiefling or variant human, so do you have any advice within that framework?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Yeah......I know Half-Elf is best, I just really dislike being an elf or half-elf. I really like the idea of being some variety of tiefling or variant human, so do you have any advice within that framework?

Oh sorry, didn't know you were avoiding Half-Elf.

Variant Human with Magic Initiate could kinda do the same thing but also yield you a single sorcerer or warlock first level spell. A once per day Shield might not be bad?

I play a Valor Bard, and there is nothing better than tagging a guy with Dissonant Whispers while in melee and taking my Opportunity Attack with Booming Blade (picked up Warcaster at 4).

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 9, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Reik posted:

Oh sorry, didn't know you were avoiding Half-Elf.

Variant Human with Magic Initiate could kinda do the same thing but also yield you a single sorcerer or warlock first level spell. A once per day Shield might not be bad?

I play a Valor Bard, and there is nothing better than tagging a guy with Dissonant Whispers while in melee and taking my Opportunity Attack with Booming Blade (picked up Warcaster at 4).

Would I still want one of the SCAG cantrips if I am going Glamour Bard?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Would I still want one of the SCAG cantrips if I am going Glamour Bard?

The SCAG cantrips are really good, and with a decent Dex and a Rapier you will still be effective in melee. Booming Blade's scaling is especially good if you can get them to trigger the additional thunder damage. At level 5 you're looking at 2d8+Dex on hit with 2d8 thunder if they willingly move.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Reik posted:

Are they building Mithral Armor?

Glagha posted:

I mean breastplates exist but I'm fully on board with players innovating like that.

Yeah Mithral Half-Plate. I basically called it that they could make a Mithral Half Plate with the maount of refined Mithral they have, they don't have nearly enough for any heavy armor. The half plate will not have disadvantage on stealth checks, but it will have to be worn over clothes. It also won't be +1 unless they find a way to imbue it with additional resilience during the forging process (will be an optional expansion of a mission or something).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I took Stealth on my Heavily Armoured Fighter and everyone at my table said "why though?"

Eventually, after going from 5-11 never using it, it came into play hard when we were captured (by a bullshit tuned SKT fight but I'm not getting into it again).

So stealthing around was our only option. It became the Rogue, an homebrew ninja thing based on some 4e class the DM ok'd (and seems balanced enough to me) and me murdering a bunch of lovely barbarians in their beds.

With my +6 stealth, and them all asleep so disadvantage to passive perception, it was literally impossible to gently caress up because we don't play the homebrew rule of crits/crit fails on skill checks.

After this we found a giant flag that allows you to insert the wind rune into armour granting you +5' of movement and no disadvantage to stealth checks in heavy armour. Everyone agreed I should have it and I threw it into my +2 platemail (which yeah RAW you can't do but DM said its a dumb rule and I agree).

Anyway, the point of my meandering tale is that stealth is a good skill and if your players want to optimize by being only the very, very best at skills then that's fine. But at the same time if they aren't choosing skills they're just be "good not great at" you don't need to cater to that and they need to figure out ways to compensate for that.

My rolled a STR fighter. I took stealth and perception proficiency knowing I won't raise either of those stats and so I won't be great at either. But you bet your rear end I'm glad I took those useful skills I'm just "good" at.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I played a 4e game where my character had that warlock move Assassin's Ground or whatever. I got it at 11. Completely shuts down concealment, teleportation, shifting, etc. And the first time I used it was something dumb like level 17, where it completely crushed a solo that relied on those. I used that move like 3 times total.

Having a trick in your pocket for real-time months before it kicks in rules, I'm glad that stealth thing worked out for you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For the campaign that I was asking for caster munchkins on, aftet talking to the DM, my guy is going to be a spy (ala diplomat style) for an information broker. I'm thinking noble background, variant human, and possibly lore bard.

Anyone have suggestions for a fun, thematic feat to pair with that? I've made no other decisions on this guy, nor am I locked into bard yet. Is there any good caster/melee multiclasses? Like maybe Rogue x/Bard y?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Perception, Investigation, Insight, Athletics/Acrobatics, and Stealth are the most commonly rolled skills in the game, so taking them even if your attributes aren't tuned to them is optimization 101.

Madmarker posted:

Hey so, joining a new group and will be playing a Glamour Bard. I really like the ability to reposition the team with my inspiration and the Daily bonus commands seems like a lot of fun. Anywho, I'm torn between four options insofar as my race and wondered what would be optimal (any of the four work for me w/ regards to character concept/rp stuff)

If you went Variant Human I'd recommend Resilient (Constitution) over War Caster, since it's as good (and better when you get to level 9) but more generally useful since it applies to all saves rather than just concentration.

And if you're allowed races with a fly speed, that's definitely better than the half-elf traits, and most everything else really - the level of narrative power at-will flight grants you is immense, not to mention the practical combat applications.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 9, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

Perception, Investigation, Insight, Athletics/Acrobatics, and Stealth are the most commonly rolled skills in the game, so taking them even if your attributes aren't tuned to them is optimization 101.

Insight is? And Acrobatics definitely seems like it's pretty lovely compared to athletics unless you have a DM that lets you use them interchangeably. Which seems kind of crap because no DM seems to be that loosey-goosey with arcana, or nature and history.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that if your group is only picking skills they are going to be great at, that's fine. But at the same time if everyone is garbage at stealth nothing needs to change on the DMs part. Honestly chain shirts are loving cheap, they weigh nothing and can be thrown in a backpack so they easily negate disadvantage on stealth checks without too much of an AC hit. Breastplates aren't crazy expensive either when you've been adventuring for a few levels.

The whole "whoa 3/5ths need to pass that is crazy!" It's not really, it is essential a 4e group skill check that lets stealthy people carry lovely stealth characters. The other option is roll stealth and everyone under is noticed and everyone above is not, so then you have a lovely, complex fight to work out and the plan is basically guaranteed to fail.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It is, yeah, since it's the "is this NPC lying to me" skill, so it's gonna come up in group social situations as - if not more - often than Persuasion/Intimidation (which is a good skill to have, but you only need 1 person to have it).

And you're right on Athletics vs Acrobatics, and that's how it works in practice.

Personally I only skip Stealth if I really can't afford it for the sake of the concept, just because of how common a check it is.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

It is, yeah, since it's the "is this NPC lying to me" skill, so it's gonna come up in group social situations as - if not more - often than Persuasion/Intimidation (which is a good skill to have, but you only need 1 person to have it).

And you're right on Athletics vs Acrobatics, and that's how it works in practice.

Personally I only skip Stealth if I really can't afford it for the sake of the concept, just because of how common a check it is.

DEX characters are already loving falling over themselves in great abilities. The one bone STR characters finally got tossed was a pretty clear and nice definition of athletics vs acrobatics (with acrobatics being: do you fall over while balancing or doing flips and mostly unnecessary poo poo).

Letting people us acrobatics instead of athletics is pretty garbage considering they're already great at stealth, slight of hand and picking locks. Plus you have initiative and AC bonuses with DEX.

Also you bring up another reason to be proficient in something you aren't great at: giving somebody better than you advantage on their rolls. Yeah maybe your 10 INT Paladin isn't a great investigator on his own, but he can give that 20 INT wizard an advantage nudge and say "what's this man?" I find if the DM plays the lesser person actively helping by describing it then players are more motivated to pick skills to help others get advantage on rolls. The previous example of using the wizard to roll but them working together is way better than "yeah Paladin gives you advantage so the wizard just spots stuff." Former makes the Paladin feel useful, both mechanically and narratively.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh lol I forgot heavy armour would be a disadvantage on stealth rolls. Yeah take that poo poo off goddamn

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay time for some homebrewing, some of these ideas I had a week or so ago but never put down "pen to paper" but am now trying to get down. Some I just thought of today for one reason or another.

So an attempt at reimagining the Force Missile Mage from 3.5, basically giving up higher level spellcasting for an at will Magic Missile, a better Mage Armor that doesn't rely on Dexterity and scales with level, and eventually Shield. I still feel like I need a bit more to flesh out some of the higher level abilities.

quote:

School of the Force Missile Mage
The School of the Force Missile Mage focuses on Magic Missile almost to the exclusion of all else. Focusing on the iconic spell, with a minor emphasis into some other Force related spells. Their dedication to these few spells greatly improves how they work, but at the cost of the breadth of spell capability other Wizards enjoy.

Called Force Missile Mages, members of this school are sought when the sheer bombardment of unerring force magic is required, as well as the ability to simply ignore the force effects of lesser wizards.

Force Missile Savant
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, you gain the Magic Missile spell if you did not already know it. You may cast the spell at the highest spell level available to you at will without using a spell slot. You lose access to the highest level of spell slots available to you.

Mastery of Mage Armor
Starting at 2nd level, you are constantly under effect of an improve Mage Armor. While under this effect you calculate your AC by 13+Intelligence modifier instead of the usual method. You cannot benefit from armor or shields while using this Mage Armor. You can still benefit from spells like Shield and Shield of Faith. While under this effect you have resistance to Force damage. At 6th level the AC becomes 14+Intelligence modifier, and 15+Intelligence modifier at 10th level. Your resistance becomes immunity to Force damage at 10th level.

Improved Missile
Starting at 6th level, your mastery of Magic Missile improves. You now add your Intelligence modifier to the damage of each missile when you cast Magic Missile. Your missiles ignore Force Resistance. You now lose access to the two highest levels of spell slots available to you.

Advanced Missiles
Beginning at 10th level, your missiles now ignore the Shield spell and Force Immunity. You now lose access to the highest three levels of spells slots available to you.

Force Mastery
Starting at 14th level, you can cast the Shield spell at will using your Reaction. You also can ignore the effects of Force spells as you choose, allowing you to ignore Bigby's Hand and walk through Forcecage as you will. You lose access to the four highest level spell slots available to you.

And here we have another attempt at something similar, this time for Sorcerer and more as a Font for Force.

quote:

Force Bloodline
Your innate magic comes from a font of Force magic that has manifested within your blood or that of your ancestors. Perhaps an ancestor called upon the power of Force too many times, perhaps a twist of fate resulted in the connection. Or perhaps no one knows what happened. However it did happen you find that you have a connection to the magic of Force that is far stronger than most. It comes instinctively to you.

Living Force Missiles
At 1st level, you gain the Magic Missile spell and can cast it at will without expending a spell slot. The spell is always cast as if using the highest sorcerer spell slot you have, even if you do not have access to that spell slot for actually casting spells. However you lose access to the highest level of spell slots available to you.

Force Resilience
As magic flows through your body, it causes physical changes to your body. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.

Additionally, your body is infused with Force magic giving it many of the properties of the Mage Armor spell. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Force Affinity
Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals Force damage, you can add your Charisma modifier to one damage roll of that spell. However when casting your at will Magic Missile you instead add your Charisma modifier to the damage roll of each missile. You gain Resistance to Force Damage and now add your Charisma modifier to the AC gained from Force Resilience. You lose access to the two highest levels of spell slots available to you.

Metamagic Missiles
At 14th level your ability to apply your Metamagics to your at will Magic Missile improves. Of the metamagics that can be applied to Magic Missile they change in these ways:
Quicken: Only costs 1 SP and can cast a non-cantrip spell with your actual Action, including another Magic Missile.
Empowered: Reroll dice equal to 2xCha
Distant: Cost 0 points
Subtle: Cost 0 points

Force Salvo
At 14th level, your Magic Missiles ignore Resistance to Force damage and cannot be blocked by the Shield spell. You now lose access to the three highest levels of spell slots available to you.

Beginning at 18th level, you can cast Shield at will using your Reaction. You are immune to the effects and damage of Force spells. This allows you to ignore the effects of Bigby's Hand or walk right through a Forcecage or Wall of Force as you will.

A few other ideas I want to work on are a anti magic class, kind of like the Forsaker but hopefully not garbage. That is self sufficient but cannot have spells cast on them, or probably even use magic items. This will require some work so I want to get these ones up first. The other that may take some work is either an archetype or class that is about life leech, basically healing as they damage their target.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like fighting so I don't mind skipping stealth. The skill I love instead for no good reason is Insight. "Can I roll insight to see if I think I could take him?"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
anytime we're about to do something really stupid our dm makes us roll an insight check

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Penny Arcade's Acquisitions Inc was the Critical Role of its day, and every version of D&D has always been the most popular its ever been relative to the previous one.

Huh, turns out that a one-shot(?) that I'll be playing on Monday is apparently Acquisitions Inc-themed. Is there anything I need to know about it in advance?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

Huh, turns out that a one-shot(?) that I'll be playing on Monday is apparently Acquisitions Inc-themed. Is there anything I need to know about it in advance?

Yeah, it's a long one-shot. Bring food. But you don't need to know anything about the group itself; the gist is your party is subcontracting for them.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

doctor 7 posted:

Also you bring up another reason to be proficient in something you aren't great at: giving somebody better than you advantage on their rolls.

Man, I assist on EVERY roll in any game where I can possibly assist, being an assistant rules

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Note that you don't need to be proficient in a skill to use the help action to give someone else advantage. In certain cases (like the lockpicking example in the SRD) you'd need proficiency to fulfill the requirement "that he or she could attempt [the task] alone" but this isn't usually the case. If you're not proficient in insight you can still help someone interrogate an enemy, etc.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kaysette posted:

Note that you don't need to be proficient in a skill to use the help action to give someone else advantage. In certain cases (like the lockpicking example in the SRD) you'd need proficiency to fulfill the requirement "that he or she could attempt [the task] alone" but this isn't usually the case. If you're not proficient in insight you can still help someone interrogate an enemy, etc.

Well that is super lame and I'd definitely not allow anybody to help with every skill ever otherwise you're rolling advantage for basically every skillcheck ever

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Well that is super lame and I'd definitely not allow anybody to help with every skill ever otherwise you're rolling advantage for basically every skillcheck ever

Turns out this game got some holes in it lol. The game genuinely doesn't have good advice for even when and how skill checks should work. A group playing 'optimally' should be using guidance + aid to give their skill expert advantage +1d4 on everything all the time.

Fundamentally when you're in a situation where you have the time to do this, I really dont think you should be rolling at all but thats not really D&Ds thing. Theres also the big problem of 'I search for it', 'oh i look too' which is made easier to just aid another another and have one person roll so they get to be good at 'their thing'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 10, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gumby posted:

Yeah, it's a long one-shot. Bring food. But you don't need to know anything about the group itself; the gist is your party is subcontracting for them.

Oh, there's an actual adventure/book involved? Don't think I've played something from out of a book before, so this should be interesting.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

doctor 7 posted:

I actually prefer the "One and Done" rule for skillchecks where the two best PCs for the job do the task as a single check with advantage over the Brute Force method parties tend to take otherwise. That way it's "Good thing we brought the magic nerds" instead of "everyone roll because someone will get a 19".

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Razorwired posted:

I actually prefer the "One and Done" rule for skillchecks where the two best PCs for the job do the task as a single check with advantage over the Brute Force method parties tend to take otherwise. That way it's "Good thing we brought the magic nerds" instead of "everyone roll because someone will get a 19".

Yeah with my group we do the "OK who has this skill? Whoever has the highest should roll. Does anyone else have it? OK yeah, so you can roll with advantage."

If nobody has the skill, then whoever has the best chance via base stat mod can give it a go but we definitely play it if you fail you fail, no second rolling.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

doctor 7 posted:

I see you've never heard of the Guidance cantrip.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

P.d0t posted:

I see you've never heard of the Guidance cantrip.

Adding 1d4 is way more reasonable tbh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You could argue a wizard's familiar could give you advantage almost constantly rules as written.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I tried to play an online game with random people. Wasn't as bad overall as I thought it might be, but I don't think I'll continue with that group.

We needed to do something in a church to proceed. It was supposed to be a puzzle, but it was poorly worded to the point where nobody understood that it was even a puzzle, let alone what to do about it. After 20 minutes of nothing much happening, the DM cracked and said "it's something you could only do in the bell tower".

The rest of the group spent nearly an hour loving around moving ladders and screaming NO WAIT WAIT whenever I said "I ring the bell".

You'll never guess what we needed to do!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

AlphaDog posted:

I tried to play an online game with random people. Wasn't as bad overall as I thought it might be, but I don't think I'll continue with that group.

We needed to do something in a church to proceed. It was supposed to be a puzzle, but it was poorly worded to the point where nobody understood that it was even a puzzle, let alone what to do about it. After 20 minutes of nothing much happening, the DM cracked and said "it's something you could only do in the bell tower".

The rest of the group spent nearly an hour loving around moving ladders and screaming NO WAIT WAIT whenever I said "I ring the bell".

You'll never guess what we needed to do!

Build a ladder tower?

But seriously, that's my biggest frustration with the group I DM currently. They just can't agree on poo poo. They're getting better, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

The Dregs posted:

OK, so my crotchety old bastard of a friend really wants to run his 'Dream D&D Campaign". I've seen his notes, some of them are over 30 years old. This will end badly, but it is sure to be a wild ride. His main rule is no magic. Sword and Sorcery, Conan style. Only humans. One guy got a special dispensation to play a halfling reskinned as a motherfucking midget. We're allowed one cleric, and she is supposed to only memorize healing supporty type stuff. His one exception is that if we can come up with a character concept that uses low-key magic stuff reskinned as mundane, he will allow it. So I am thinking beastmaster ranger.

Problem is that ranger is a mess? Apparently the one in the PHB sucks, and has been rewritten a few times or something. It confuses me. Can someone give me a little advice on making a ranger given the guidelines above?

Every time I read something like this, I want to scream into a pillow.

I mean, gently caress, even the PHB itself straight up tells you that you need magic to play the game. On page 8:
"For adventurers, though, magic is key to their survival. Without the healing magic of clerics and paladins, adventurers would quickly succumb to their wounds. Without the uplifting magical support of bards and clerics, warriors might be overwhelmed by powerful foes. Without the sheer magical power and versatility of wizards and druids, every threat would be magnified tenfold."

If you want to play something like Conan, go play Conan. Seriously. Everything may look like a nail when all you have is a hammer, but when you want to paint a wall just go get a brush. Stop hallucinating, because banging a tin of paint against the wall isn't going to do you any good. And they always cry at the end, "Everything is a mess and I'm covered with paint! ... Why did my players fail me and my glorious campaign ideas?!"