Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know anything or care about this game but today for fun I dropped by a random Star Citizen stream on twitch (a game which was boasting a whopping 174 viewers) and it was 5 minutes of a guy flying down to some barren moon, positioning his ship, slowwwwwwly dropping down, opening doors, getting out, walking up to some prefab cargo container that obviously was just some spawned asset, picking up a random box (which warped into his hands) and then placing it in his empty cargo bay and and getting back in his ship cockpit, it took 5 minutes and ran at 15 FPS the whole time despite not looking that good and being played on a 1080

People think this is going to be Ultima Online meets EVE meets No Man's Sky ahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Guard Frequency podcast discusses Store Citizer's Pay2Win (go to 14m35s):

https://guardfrequency.com/223 (Download mp3)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PederP posted:

They see me pledgin'
They hatin'
- Trolling they tryin' to catch me rich and nerdy
Tryin' to catch me rich and nerdy
My ship so big
I'm testin'
They hopin that they're gonna catch me rich and nerdy

Credits to Weird Al for the original hip-hop version.

http://tindeck.com/listen/hfaik I have a modest stab at it here.

Edit: I will have to find a new home for the tracks, tindeck is going away.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 9, 2018

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/program-your-own-games-books

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

"The controversy, or debate, or sticking point... you choose the word that least upsets you Star Citizen fans who keep emailing us about how little we know about this game..."

:argh:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

ewe2 posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/hfaik I have a modest stab at it here.

Edit: I will have to find a new home for the tracks, tindeck is going away.

That was a good listen, thanks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
By the powers of the Mirificus-Bot, show me the BoredGamerUK tweets!

*splashes cobra blood on the pentagram drawing in the sand*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Did you send it to CiG?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cheap blended whisky will also work.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*nods while taking notes*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

For how could you establish even the most obvious fact when there existed no record outside your own memory? He tried to remember in what year he had first heard mention of Chris Roberts. He thought it must have been at some time in the eighties, but it was impossible to be certain. In the RSi histories, of course, Chris Roberts figured as the leader and guardian of the Revolution since its very earliest days. His exploits had been gradually pushed backwards in time until already they extended into the fabulous world of the seventies and the sixties, when the capitalists in their strange cylindrical hats still rode through the streets of London in great gleaming motor-cars or horse carriages with glass sides. There was no knowing how much of this legend was true and how much invented. Winston could not even remember at what date the RSi itself had come into existence.
"The first Stimpire: Lessons learned"

The escapist article as Wordcloud (p1 & 2);

The escapist rebuttal as Wordcloud;

I am "comegamer"

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 9, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I don't know anything or care about this game but today for fun I dropped by a random Star Citizen stream on twitch (a game which was boasting a whopping 174 viewers) and it was 5 minutes of a guy flying down to some barren moon, positioning his ship, slowwwwwwly dropping down, opening doors, getting out, walking up to some prefab cargo container that obviously was just some spawned asset, picking up a random box (which warped into his hands) and then placing it in his empty cargo bay and and getting back in his ship cockpit, it took 5 minutes and ran at 15 FPS the whole time despite not looking that good and being played on a 1080

People think this is going to be Ultima Online meets EVE meets No Man's Sky ahahahahahaha

It's funny to me that the current state of this farce isn't even partially referential to the Kickstarter description. You've described the entire game here. Failed tech demos linked together in a no-clip model-viewer - here's a procedural moon, here's a ship, here's cargo, here's your commando. Obviously all the parts are in place and simple iteration will rival creation itself.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7g_1xtUvw

You're a week late FTR, that's old news you FUD troll :colbert:

It's a nice video, though :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Baxta posted:

hahahaha

:cripes:

Come on, Kazan. Just... stop.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

:cripes:

Come on, Kazan. Just... stop.

He's fluent in Javascript AND Klingon.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

He's fluent in Javascript AND Klingon.

Against my better judgement I went on a safari to see what his actual complaints are, and - this is going to shock you - it turns out the guy with a degree in "advanced mathematics" spent too much time in "Calculus for Geniuses" and forgot the stuff he learned in Statistical Methods I

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What a loving nutball.

What a game.

Hell I wish this poo poo was televised 24/7 on the Ocho.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

What a loving nutball.

What a game.

Hell I wish this poo poo was televised 24/7 on the Ocho.

Game developers underground on El Rey. Hosted by a visibly drunk theAgent and a frankly confused Lethality. The news roundups are hilarious, but the nerd cred throwdowns are where the crowd's head is.

Donut steal idea, Giev money, plox.

Seriously; if you think the LA scene is crazy, San Fran is pants on head, right now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheAgent posted:

and when it finally all comes crashing down, you'll have the same people who were shilling hard for SC go "well yeah it was only like two thousand dollars and its not that big of a deal for me, so who cares" who you know will secretly back the everloving poo poo outta whatever garbage kickstarter chris roberts and co decide to launch next

I sit here and I try to think of what other type of game Chris could pitch without it being the same poo poo he's been trying to make since Wing Commander and the depth of his repertoire is just so incredibly shallow so I just can't imagine what he'd try to do otherwise except the same idea with the same loving mistakes all over again.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I sit here and I try to think of what other type of game Chris could pitch without it being the same poo poo he's been trying to make since Wing Commander and the depth of his repertoire is just so incredibly shallow so I just can't imagine what he'd try to do otherwise except the same idea with the same loving mistakes all over again.

Single-player space dogfighting game with his signature cinematic storytelling. It's not at all like Squadron 42, because it will use an entirely different engine and be unburdened by the limitations of sharing tech with an MMO.

or

Online massively multi-player hyper realistic sandbox persistent universe, with his signature world-building chops. It's not at all like Star Citizen, because it will use an entirely different engine and be unburdened by the limitations of sharing tech with a single-player game and having to deal with all those nasty engine issues he sadly can't talk about because legal won't let him.

Whichever route it is, chances are it may end up morphing into being both post-funding, because that's what the backers wanted! He has also totally learned his lesson and will be letting others handle the day-to-day operation and function solely as creative head honcho and executive producer. Which of course, means having to sign off on every single pixel, appearing on various shows to answer questions about what the game will be and giving rough estimates about release dates (given under absolution of responsibility, as we all know he's not really the one in charge of production, just giving his opinion on when it could totally be ready).

PederP fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 9, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Game developers underground on El Rey. Hosted by a visibly drunk theAgent and a frankly confused Lethality. The news roundups are hilarious, but the nerd cred throwdowns are where the crowd's head is.

Donut steal idea, Giev money, plox.

Seriously; if you think the LA scene is crazy, San Fran is pants on head, right now.
I should really start an alex jones clone site dedicated to star citizen rumors and conspiracy theories

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
infoship.com

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

infoship.com

THE WATER TURNED THE XI'AN GAY!

GAY XI'AN GAY!!

GAY GAY GAY!!!!!!!!! *smashes desk with furious intent*

Edit: please give me a six'er for this, I feel dirty.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheAgent posted:

I should really start an alex jones clone site dedicated to star citizen rumors and conspiracy theories

TheAgent posted:

infoship.com

You'd never be able to top the poo poo that gets posted in the star citizen subreddit for sheer out there imaginary bullshit.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

infoship.com

If you promised to get nude, mad, and red at least once a week in some kind of insane youtube video, I would absolutely buy some poison brain pills from your webstore.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Those filthy console peasants with their poor-mans, non-fidelity games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

yea man mathematically I don't have a small dick, I've taken several courses on the physics and dimensions of human genitalia and am a certified expert unlike these so called "peer reviewed" papers

how many years have you spent researching dicks, my 3.5 incher is absolutely standard

also star citizen isn't pay to win

what's star citizen? glad you asked...

His issue being that obviously the penis begins inside the body and having additional body weight can further obfuscate the true length, while only 3.5 inches show if you take the true measurement he actually has a massive 12" donger. All, of this was calculated with his advanced degrees and an .ini file he modified a while back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Who knows about his math skills, but my god the backers are taking all 12 inches deep in.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who knows about his math skills, but my god the backers are taking all 12 inches deep in.

Hope they get prep time otherwise it could get messy.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Uninformed" trolls don't exist. You have to be informed to troll them - which is exactly why they hate it so much.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Man, of all the stupid poo poo Chris Roberts has said over the years, "Maybe only Rockstar can do what we're doing" has probably been the most reliably funny.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Quavers posted:

That's it, I'm buying a console.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

monkeytek posted:

Hope they get prep time otherwise it could get messy.

It's where the layering of gravity goo come handy.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

gonna pre-order that one horse

it's gotta be at least $400

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

gonna pre-order that one horse

it's gotta be at least $400

Need the 'gun' upgrade pack first.

Hello!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When I melt my horse do I get something besides glue?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1027183701715820544
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1027184038237364226
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1027251059021021184
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1027256719519490048
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1027263806446206977

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Nelva’s one of those dudes that creeps me out to the point that I purposefully avoid his articles comments sections. I mean he’s not exactly special in that he’s a rabid fanboy who writes gushing articles eagerly slurping down Crobblers latest lie and then puts the banhammer to anyone who disagrees in the comments, but something about the smug way he does it just grosses me out

He's quite ugly as well which doesn't help

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If literally everything is P2W, then nothing matters :smug:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol this whole p2w thing shows just how loving out of touch they are with modern gaming

when people say "p2w" they don't mean the ability to pay for rank boosts or credits from chinese farmers or new loving skins

they mean game mechanics intentionally designed to make you have an advantage if you open your wallet directly to the developers

which star citizen has and always will be. goddamn these people dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you basically just had chris roberts come out and admit he has no idea what p2w actually means, so I guess its no surprise the faithful are equally as clueless

play some goddamn games from the last decade or something, fuckin a