Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hard counter posted:

fwiw hudson has been much less coy lately about acknowledging that bioware has a few small teams, separate from the big anthem one, that are working on certain aspects of mass effect 5/dragon age 4 and sw:tor will also be getting new content next year

who knows, we may get to relive this whole thread again in a few years

I'm surprised they haven't gone the Nintendo route and pulled in everyone from their other teams to get Anthem done. Because it most certainly isn't even close based on what they've shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do they have facial animations in Frostbite yet?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was not Inquisition's biggest fan but it was way better than Andromeda.

I believe in DA4.

Honestly, even if you hate DA2, Dragon Age has never fallen as far as Mass Effect. That is another reason I have hope.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I was not Inquisition's biggest fan but it was way better than Andromeda.

I believe in DA4.

Honestly, even if you hate DA2, Dragon Age has never fallen as far as Mass Effect. That is another reason I have hope.

If you cut out the tedious parts of DAI theres a really good maybe 30 hour game in there. They somehow padded it out to like 80 which knocks it down to "an ok game" from "good"

I'm not sure how much of MEA is salvagable. I had a lot of fun laughing at gifs I guess?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ME;A combat is a solid system, it's just that everything else is trash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm not sure how much of MEA is salvagable. I had a lot of fun laughing at gifs I guess?

Story-wise, probably none of it. Especially when the base premise is "we shot a bunch of Dreadnought-sized ships blindly at another galaxy with six-hundred-year-old data, never stopping to gather new sensor data once we approached, or reached, Andromeda. Who could've guessed things might change in that time?!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The bad guys wanted to...do...something with...religion I want to say? Can’t remember specifically what their deal was

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DA2 is far more boring than Me4

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

corn in the bible posted:

DA2 is far more boring than Me4

I would rather play ME:A twice in a row then even install DA2. What loving trash that game was. With the horrendous pop in enemies and copy & paste dungeons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You’re both wrong

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

mea beats da2 on boring poo poo by sheer quantity. you could actually beat da2 in 20 hours or so, and at 20 hours into andromeda you're stuck in sidequest purgatory on the first planet

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Story-wise, probably none of it. Especially when the base premise is "we shot a bunch of Dreadnought-sized ships blindly at another galaxy with six-hundred-year-old data, never stopping to gather new sensor data once we approached, or reached, Andromeda. Who could've guessed things might change in that time?!"

*swirls wine about in an immaculate crystal glass* i remember when i was probated for pointing out how dumb that was because someone said it was no different to going to the moon. ah, memories.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arglebargle III posted:

ME;A combat is a solid system, it's just that everything else is trash.

The the combat is fun. I liked Andromeda :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

*swirls wine about in an immaculate crystal glass* i remember when i was probated for pointing out how dumb that was because someone said it was no different to going to the moon. ah, memories.

The real problem is they couldn't think of anything except a generic "Voyage to the New World" premise with the inference that it's all new, none of this has been done before, oh woe how could we have forseen things Going Wrong??!" in a setting where there's thousands of years of recorded colonization efforts across every type of planet imaginable, and colonization efforts themselves are (logistically and practically) a solved problem. You can't swing "how did this all go wrong??" when the expedition making such an attempt is going to have a couple hundred people, across each Ark, who are going to be able to say with decades (or centuries) of personal experience "no, spend our precious resources establishing a colony on the planet with the acid pools you dinguses. Or the one that's a radioactive desert. And maybe we should stop when we get near our destination, say the edge of the star system, to get an idea of what's changed in six hundred years first?".

Even the whole Pathfinder idea is dumb as poo poo when you've just spent the previous two games analyzing dozens of planets with a single inexpensive orbital probe apiece. While I will admit the unshackled AI's are definitely helpful for processing environmental data at a planetary scale, a single person stomping around a minuscule patch of a single location on a planet isn't going to tell you much about how cold its winters in the southern hemisphere are, or that half the northern continent floods every year in a monsoon season and cause deadly mosquito analogues to spawn in the billions.

Also why the hell would you have all the Dreadnoughts split up rather than stick together when they're hilariously undefended and you don't know what's going to be waiting in the New World Andromeda Galaxy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In early interviews for Andromeda they made all this hullabaloo about how this time, it's humanity who are the invaders, which had some potentially interesting themes centered around colonization and the ethics of contaminating a new galaxy with alien life. But that amounted to absolutely nothing, Fuckboy Ryder and his crew of memes hop around planets hitting the Make Everything Betterer switch, good thing we found this dude from another galaxy who could fix all our problems thanks to a really advanced ipod.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fridge corn posted:

The the combat is fun.

felt a bit like a prototype. worked fine* but very little variety (enemy and situationwise). lot of weapons were cool, but modding and crafting sucked (augments were a neat idea but more often than not the results were underwhelming). needed more time.

*original and year old bugs notwithstanding

e:oh and I just remembered how dreadful research was. it funneled you into one or two weapons because you kept having to spend resources to get better versions of that specific gear. a different weapon would require upgrading it from scratch. meaning you couldn't feasibly try out alternatives or experiment too much

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 9, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rinkles posted:

felt a bit like a prototype. worked fine* but very little variety (enemy and situationwise). lot of weapons were cool, but modding and crafting sucked (augments were a neat idea but more often than not the results were underwhelming). needed more time.

*original and year old bugs notwithstanding

e:oh and I just remembered how dreadful research was. it funneled you into one or two weapons because you kept having to spend resources to get better versions of that specific gear. a different weapon would require upgrading it from scratch. meaning you couldn't feasibly try out alternatives or experiment too much

It also didn't have companion commands, tactical pause, or the full command bar, meaning you had less options on a moment to moment basis than the previous games.

Which... not ideal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

exquisite tea posted:

In early interviews for Andromeda they made all this hullabaloo about how this time, it's humanity who are the invaders, which had some potentially interesting themes centered around colonization and the ethics of contaminating a new galaxy with alien life. But that amounted to absolutely nothing, Fuckboy Ryder and his crew of memes hop around planets hitting the Make Everything Betterer switch, good thing we found this dude from another galaxy who could fix all our problems thanks to a really advanced ipod.

We've Got This -Mass Effect Andromeda

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

It really is a shame because a game where you're the advanced species and you're making first contact with races that are in say cowboy times could be really neat.

Also a ship travelling 600 could have some component of active crew has some interesting potential with 20+ generations having existed on a ship with a single purpose.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

"i'm going to gently caress your [franchise] up" -- ryder, mass effect 4: andromeda

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

It really is a shame because a game where you're the advanced species and you're making first contact with races that are in say cowboy times could be really neat.

Also a ship travelling 600 could have some component of active crew has some interesting potential with 20+ generations having existed on a ship with a single purpose.

Generational ships are a bad, bad idea and will never end well. Inbreeding is actually the least of such a ship's worries, because by the end you'll have lost almost all the important knowledge necessary for setting up a colony planetside at the end of the trip and just plain have a whole bunch of people who've never known anything except said ship and a spinning FTL vortex surrounding it. That's not discounting the potential breakdown into tribal factions, religions, or just plain fatal malfunctions from 600 years of constant living with no means of obtaining critical replacement parts. Especially if it's "only" a fraction of the crew, because now you've got a couple thousand people at the mercy of said inbred descendants either worshiping the cryo-pods or destroying them for fun because they don't know what they are.

It's also a complete waste of resources when you can just wake a couple of people up every few decades to check the readouts and logs before going back to sleep for another 20-50 years.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generational ships are a bad, bad idea and will never end well. Inbreeding is actually the least of such a ship's worries, because by the end you'll have lost almost all the important knowledge necessary for setting up a colony planetside at the end of the trip and just plain have a whole bunch of people who've never known anything except said ship and a spinning FTL vortex surrounding it. That's not discounting the potential breakdown into tribal factions, religions, or just plain fatal malfunctions from 600 years of constant living with no means of obtaining critical replacement parts. Especially if it's "only" a fraction of the crew, because now you've got a couple thousand people at the mercy of said inbred descendants either worshiping the cryo-pods or destroying them for fun because they don't know what they are.

look i'll take tribal religious fatal malfunction cryo worshippers over what we got so you're not exactly selling me on how bad it is here

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

There were so many interesting ideas and themes they could have explored, instead they decided to hit the reset button as quickly as possible in order to turn the new galaxy into the old one, with insignificant differences.

Of course, many people were afraid something like this was going to happen ever since EA said they were working on another Non-Shepard Mass Effect game. Many suspected EA was going to reset the setting somehow, after the botched third game - just go back to the way things were and make endless sequels, nothing can go wrong. But it's specifically not what they said they were doing and I think a lot of people were still surprised how quickly AND badly they did the reset to status quo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

look i'll take tribal religious fatal malfunction cryo worshippers over what we got so you're not exactly selling me on how bad it is here

:emptyquote:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

orcane posted:

There were so many interesting ideas and themes they could have explored, instead they decided to hit the reset button as quickly as possible in order to turn the new galaxy into the old one, with insignificant differences.

Of course, many people were afraid something like this was going to happen ever since EA said they were working on another Non-Shepard Mass Effect game. Many suspected EA was going to reset the setting somehow, after the botched third game - just go back to the way things were and make endless sequels, nothing can go wrong. But it's specifically not what they said they were doing and I think a lot of people were still surprised how quickly AND badly they did the reset to status quo.

The grand irony of this is that some combination of the post-Control/Destroy endings -- a broken galaxy struggling to rebuild without the mass relay technology they relied upon, the balance of power totally upended, and some unknowable God-Intellect silently watching over them from dark space, would have been a really cool setting for the Mass Effect franchise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

The grand irony of this is that some combination of the post-Control/Destroy endings -- a broken galaxy struggling to rebuild without the mass relay technology they relied upon, the balance of power totally upended, and some unknowable God-Intellect silently watching over them from dark space, would have been a really cool setting for the Mass Effect franchise.

A mechanic where travel time is a factor in things could be very interesting, and I can't ever recall a game where something like that has existed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't even need the control part, but then we couldn't have LARGER THAN LIFE stakes I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

The problem with the ~dramatic destruction~ of the Mass Effect relays is there are going to be literally thousands of remote installations (if not more) that are utterly doomed to a slow death with them gone. It's a terrible idea that should've never been done, because Mac Walters didn't put more than ten seconds of thought into how cool it'd look for an ending. Nevermind the original version with them detonating spectacularly in a way that everyone except Mac Walters knew meant that all the major solar systems just went bye-bye.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fridge corn posted:

The the combat is fun. I liked Andromeda :shrug:

you're a *urp* friggin idiot Morty!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with the ~dramatic destruction~ of the Mass Effect relays is there are going to be literally thousands of remote installations (if not more) that are utterly doomed to a slow death with them gone. It's a terrible idea that should've never been done, because Mac Walters didn't put more than ten seconds of thought into how cool it'd look for an ending. Nevermind the original version with them detonating spectacularly in a way that everyone except Mac Walters knew meant that all the major solar systems just went bye-bye.

Meh, still a lot more interesting than ME:A

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Meh, still a lot more interesting than ME:A

Well I thought that went without saying.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd kind of enjoy a short story of a remote station trying to survive as long as possible without supplies from a relay

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also a complete waste of resources when you can just wake a couple of people up every few decades to check the readouts and logs before going back to sleep for another 20-50 years.

Hey, we say this in The Expanse thread all the time, but everyone should really read Aurora!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, crafting was bad because of the upgrade system and because you have no way of knowing what happens when you mod a weapon to fire a totally different type of ammunition. The lack of a proving range made it worse.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with the ~dramatic destruction~ of the Mass Effect relays is there are going to be literally thousands of remote installations (if not more) that are utterly doomed to a slow death with them gone.
Remote installations, hell, entire planetary civilizations. What would happen to North and South America if shipping things to Europe, Asia, and Africa suddenly took years because of Reasons?

This is the entire basis of Tekumel, one of first roleplaying games to exist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reapers and Darkspawn threatening the entire setting are dumb because they get beaten within the timespan of a single game. The Blights and the Reapings in past cycles for both games are recorded as lasting for decades, while the games have you beat the world ending threats in a matter of months.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reapers and Darkspawn threatening the entire setting are dumb because they get beaten within the timespan of a single game. The Blights and the Reapings in past cycles for both games are recorded as lasting for decades, while the games have you beat the world ending threats in a matter of months.

Canon Ending is a fail state: everyone dies/is reaped and the cycle continues. :colbert:

Hot Fries, Cheez-its, and Chex Mix, with Dr. Pepper are my gaming foods of choice. Thank you for reading my words on the internet!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll give Andromeda this; at least the reapers didn't show up. The writers had that much self control at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll give Andromeda this; at least the reapers didn't show up. The writers had that much self control at least

All the DLC was cancelled though so we can't be certain.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ainsley McTree posted:

SO FAR. The game, DLC, books, comics, etc all got canned before anything stupid could really happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I've thought about giving Andromeda another chance, who's the better player character to choose? Scott or Sara?