Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Eh one of our young surgeons just died when the plane he was flying nose-dived into the ground seconds after lift off. From colleagues who worked with him in the operating room, he had passed out during an operation a couple of weeks before. He refused to seek medical attention so as to not lose his pilots license. We speculate he had another episode this time while flying and it was curtains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Well gently caress. Are they dangerous or will I just be working my as off?

I've heard that they tend to treat employees like crap, but I have no clue about their safety record.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

He refused to seek medical attention so as to not lose his pilots license.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as there are problems with the medical system, I'm pretty sure "suspending your medical because you're passing out at odd times" is the system working exactly the way it should. And god knows if you've been passing out at odd times, you should be clever enough to not go flying by yourself regardless of whether you technically lose your medical.

We have a student with a heart condition who nonetheless has a class 1 medical -- it's just restricted to "must fly with or as co-pilot" so it's not like the problem, once it's solved, would completely preclude even commercial flying.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm getting ready to dive into Paramotoring. There's a club with instructors in McKinney TX that I'm going to check out in the next week or two.

Anyone else tried it? Looks like it's a bit tough to try out without buying equipment but maybe I'll find out differently when I visit the club. I've purchased a copy of the Powered Paraglider Bible and I'm working my way through that. Seems quite a bit different to aircraft piloting but I can't imagine a cooler way to fly through the air.

simble
May 11, 2004

After visiting Airventure I gotta say that PPC looks interesting as heck. Easy storage and easy transport to the airport.

PPG looks more fun but a bit uncomfortable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I'm getting ready to dive into Paramotoring. There's a club with instructors in McKinney TX that I'm going to check out in the next week or two.

Anyone else tried it? Looks like it's a bit tough to try out without buying equipment but maybe I'll find out differently when I visit the club. I've purchased a copy of the Powered Paraglider Bible and I'm working my way through that. Seems quite a bit different to aircraft piloting but I can't imagine a cooler way to fly through the air.

Aviator PPG’s home base is in my airspace, and we’ve worked with them and the jump op next door a couple times on stuff. I really want to get up there and learn, but time and money is kicking my teeth in.

:(

Edit: Never buy a house.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 29, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

A friend of mine has his permit up here in the frozen north, and I know there's another powered parachute pilot out at my former instructor's vacation place (it's built around an airstrip). Most of the stories I've heard so far are poo poo going wrong during the launch, particularly with regard to wind. Apparently they're great fun once you get over that hurdle.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So, the first big confusion I had to work through was Powered Parachute (PPC)vs Powered Paraglider (PPG). Powered Paraglider is also called Paramotor in most parts of the world.

I'll be sticking with Paramotor because it doesn't require a medical and mine is toast this year. Looks like you CAN get a Part 103 Paramotor with a trike frame, but the foot launched harnesses seem more flexible and transportable if you don't have a physical limitation that would make running with the kit difficult.

It looks cool as hell, but it seems like tandem instruction/rides aren't super common. I'll need to ease into this. I've always been comfortable flying but having your legs swinging in open air is a bit different. I'd hate to put money into this and then find out it terrifies me.

simble
May 11, 2004

PPCs that aren’t part 103 ultralights are LSAs. If you’re medical lapses (and isn’t revoked) I’m pretty sure your PPL becomes a LSA license. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I just read this in the PPC flying handbook.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Both. Plus you might end up in training limbo and not get paid! Michigan car parts haulers have a well deserved rep and afaik it hasn’t changed. I interviewed with IFL way back in 2005 and dodged a bullet by not getting hired. If you’re set on an entry level box hauling job look at ameriflight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

simble posted:

PPCs that aren’t part 103 ultralights are LSAs. If you’re medical lapses (and isn’t revoked) I’m pretty sure your PPL becomes a LSA license. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I just read this in the PPC flying handbook.

Regardless, they are different enough from standard airplanes that it would be very foolish not to get specific training, even if legally speaking you do not require it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I would also highly recommend staying away from auto parts haulers. THAT SAID, there is almost no better way to force yourself (albeit, dangerously) to become an excellent stick. Royal air is a "good" operator. You will mostly be on the road M-F every week and home on the weekends (unless things have changed, I've been out of the on-demand world for about 7 years now) IFL a so-so operator, but has some better/bigger equipment. Those convair 5800s are fuckin sweet. These ratings are relative to the on-demand industry, they would all be considered "lovely" operators on the entire scale of aviation jobs. You will likely fly more hours at Royal, so if the objective is to get in and get out to a regional with flow or whatever, I would recommend them over IFL. Either way, you will be flying with the Scrappy redneck cowboys of the aviation world, so brace yourself and make sure you have the right disposition to deal with that kind of thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

Both. Plus you might end up in training limbo and not get paid! Michigan car parts haulers have a well deserved rep and afaik it hasn’t changed. I interviewed with IFL way back in 2005 and dodged a bullet by not getting hired. If you’re set on an entry level box hauling job look at ameriflight.

Or if you hate life Key Lime

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

Or if you hate life Key Lime

What I'm about to say is kind of a matter of opinion, but my opinion comes from a background of lots of both single pilot flying and crew flying. I believe, especially in the current flying climate where very low time guys are being hired on in the 135 world, that it is very possible to isolate yourself too much by going to single pilot outfits like ameriflight or key lime (i know the 120 is crew, but the majority is single pilot) when you are paying your dues in aviation.
Aviation has a *ton* of tribal knowledge you have to acquire over time to be good at the job, and you generally absorb that knowledge by flying with people that have been doing it for a long time. I would argue that, on an average boring day on the line, more of your workflow comes from experience and habits built up over time than textbook knowledge. Even if you fly with a crazy person with bad habits, it can be very helpful to see what *not* to do. When you fly by yourself from the get go, you develop your own bad habits and often have no one around to tell you what you're doing wrong. And its not just bad habits, you also miss out on all the little 'tips and tricks' that trickle down through generations of pilots. I've seen a lot of very weak, and outright bizarre, pilot skill sets develop in the single pilot world.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

A buddy of mine died flying for Royal Air a few years back:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2015/12/26/oakland-crash-pilot-inadequately-trained/77925070/

I wasn't super close with him or anything, but what I knew of him, he didn't seem like a reckless shithead who would get himself into a crash. So I'm inclined to believe that the poor training he received and/or the company's safety attitude was a big factor in the crash. Of course, I've got a bias here.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

simble posted:

It's getting revoked. Light sport is out for me.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Aw poo poo man, that's awful and I'm sorry.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thank you. However, feeling healthy has been more than enough to offset the impact to my career. And my career isn't wrecked either. It's highly likely I'll be able to serve a support role somewhere and impact to my financials will be minimal. Even if that goes tits-up, it's still worth it. I have disability insurance for just that reason, but it shouldn't come to that.

I'm just ready to stop telling the flight surgeon about every detail of my life. Once you get them looking into you, it gets even more invasive than usual.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The Ferret King posted:

It's getting revoked. Light sport is out for me.

Future Flight out in Princeton, TX is one of the better PPG schools from what I've heard. I'm sorry to hear about your medical. Being out in the open is amazing! Canopy flight can be really rewarding as well. You'll love being on a ppg.

If you'd like to be able to fly a passenger with a fixed wing, you can obtain a private glider pilot license with a self launch endorsement. That can allow you to fly things like a Grob 109b or a Diamond HK36 while having a revoked medical.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sweet. I'll look into it.

There's a place in DFW that I'll probably stick with for PPG just because it's close, so I'll be able to go without taking time off work.

I've heard great things about a school in Austin as well. But, proximity might decide it for me. I'm checking out the DFW place this week.

EDIT:
OH, that's where Princeton is. Maybe I'm thinking of the same guys. They call themselves something different on Facebook, and they say they're in farmersville, but they check in at a different town when they're flying. It's so difficult figuring out who's who, and what's what with this hobby.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 30, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Entone posted:

Future Flight out in Princeton, TX is one of the better PPG schools from what I've heard. I'm sorry to hear about your medical. Being out in the open is amazing! Canopy flight can be really rewarding as well. You'll love being on a ppg.

If you'd like to be able to fly a passenger with a fixed wing, you can obtain a private glider pilot license with a self launch endorsement. That can allow you to fly things like a Grob 109b or a Diamond HK36 while having a revoked medical.

The Diamond HK36 seems like a pretty amazing loophole.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ah, I see that Princeton TX thing is for powered parachutes. I'm looking into powered paragliders. Funny there's a group for that in the same area. It must be a good spot for that type of flying.

But, that PPC place does intro flights, which aren't common with PPG places. So maybe I'll hit them up for that to get a taste of open air flying.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

The Diamond HK36 seems like a pretty amazing loophole.

It looks like a much cooler Katana.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The Ferret King posted:

Ah, I see that Princeton TX thing is for powered parachutes. I'm looking into powered paragliders. Funny there's a group for that in the same area. It must be a good spot for that type of flying.

But, that PPC place does intro flights, which aren't common with PPG places. So maybe I'll hit them up for that to get a taste of open air flying.

Ah sorry. I always mix up the two terms. Being around a lot of skydivers, I just refer to them as backpack and trike powered parachutes to make things less confusing. There are also Part 103 trike ppcs that might be more comfortable to fly than the backpack ppg type. It really depends on your body type and how comfortable you are with a running launch on a hot, high density altitude day with 30lbs on your back. It is a hell of a lot easier to travel with the PPG, though.

I'm not too involved in the Dallas aviation scene these days; so, I can't comment on that PPG school up North. I know a few people that are a part of the Austin PPG group. They liked it and said the instruction was high quality, as well.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Republic may be gobbling up Trans States:

https://theaircurrent.com/airlines/republic-airways-is-nearing-a-deal-to-buy-trans-states/

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

We've had that rumor since Jan. I'll believe it when it happens

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What are your thoughts about taking PPL students to do circuits in marginal VFR conditions? We've had 4-6SM visibility in smoke for the past few days, and I think it's completely safe for dual circuits and actually a good experience for students to see what the bottom end of legal VFR conditions look like, and my supervising instructors have agreed inasmuch as they've shown no hesitation to sign my supervision sheets, but some other instructors with roughly the same level of experience as me (which is to say, quite new) have the attitude that students won't get much out of it and it's just a complete waste of time.

It's definitely more challenging for the students and thus more work for the instructor, but I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

What are your thoughts about taking PPL students to do circuits in marginal VFR conditions? We've had 4-6SM visibility in smoke for the past few days, and I think it's completely safe for dual circuits and actually a good experience for students to see what the bottom end of legal VFR conditions look like, and my supervising instructors have agreed inasmuch as they've shown no hesitation to sign my supervision sheets, but some other instructors with roughly the same level of experience as me (which is to say, quite new) have the attitude that students won't get much out of it and it's just a complete waste of time.

It's definitely more challenging for the students and thus more work for the instructor, but I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily.

I trained at a class C airport and got special VFR just so we could go out and do touch n gos. I also took a PPL student through the clods and got VFR on top so we could do maneuvers one day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I trained at a class C airport and got special VFR just so we could go out and do touch n gos. I also took a PPL student through the clods and got VFR on top so we could do maneuvers one day.

Cool and good.

I've also noticed that the non-instrument rated instructors have really, really odd ideas about visibility -- as in, they are consistently estimating visibility at half of what it actually is, I assume because they're calling the visibility limit "what I think I can see clearly" instead of "what I think I can see at all."

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I've been looking into paramotors for months now. My training starts next week! I'm thrilled, can't wait. Flying the piper I rent is fun and all, but this is just cruising around super low in a lawn chair, or chilling above the clouds having a morning coffee.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

Cool and good.

I've also noticed that the non-instrument rated instructors have really, really odd ideas about visibility -- as in, they are consistently estimating visibility at half of what it actually is, I assume because they're calling the visibility limit "what I think I can see clearly" instead of "what I think I can see at all."

Wait until you start hearing people report turbulence

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Wait until you start hearing people report turbulence

Oh, I don't have to wait! :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

PT6A posted:

I really want to try to get my instructor to take me up in MVFR sometime for the experience, but in these parts is often all-or-nothing so you can't really plan for it. Maybe once thunderstorm season ends I'll try to schedule in the morning or on rainy days and hope for the best.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

I really want to try to get my instructor to take me up in MVFR sometime for the experience, but in these parts is often all-or-nothing so you can't really plan for it. Maybe once thunderstorm season ends I'll try to schedule in the morning or on rainy days and hope for the best.

Yes, it's a bit of a special case here because we have low visibility due to forest-fire smoke, meaning the conditions are otherwise quite good for flying. Frankly, I think we should be taking advantage of it more than we are, and with CPL students, making them do navigation and diversions in these conditions.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

I think it's a great idea. I got to do exactly one day of weather training during my PPL because I lived in the high desert and it was either thunderstorms with the airport shut down or clear unlimited visibility.

The one marginal day we had, we went out and tried to find windshear and microbursts at altitude. Really eye-opening. Also what solid overcast directly above you feels like, what a mile of lateral separation looks like, etc. I know other people fly in that all the time, but for desert folks, it's a different world.

Then we got windshear on final, and a good time was had by all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think it's a great idea. I got to do exactly one day of weather training during my PPL because I lived in the high desert and it was either thunderstorms with the airport shut down or clear unlimited visibility.

The one marginal day we had, we went out and tried to find windshear and microbursts at altitude. Really eye-opening. Also what solid overcast directly above you feels like, what a mile of lateral separation looks like, etc. I know other people fly in that all the time, but for desert folks, it's a different world.

Then we got windshear on final, and a good time was had by all.

Good, it's nice to hear I'm not insane.

Honestly, I too wish I'd had more exposure to marginal conditions during training. I mostly figured out poo poo on my own while I was time-building for my CPL :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nuggan posted:

I've been looking into paramotors for months now. My training starts next week! I'm thrilled, can't wait. Flying the piper I rent is fun and all, but this is just cruising around super low in a lawn chair, or chilling above the clouds having a morning coffee.

Excited for you. I bought the Paragliding Bible and I've been YouTubing and reading for about a month now. I'm dealing with some job related stuff right now but I really want to start training soon once that settles. Tell me everything after you go up.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that goes in the OP, but I now have three FAA plastic cards. PP ASEL, A&P, and Radio/Avionics repairman. I might as well get dispatcher and rigger at this point.

Money-wise, the PP cost more, but the A&P was a significantly more difficult journey and investment in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

The Ferret King posted:

Excited for you. I bought the Paragliding Bible and I've been YouTubing and reading for about a month now. I'm dealing with some job related stuff right now but I really want to start training soon once that settles. Tell me everything after you go up.

I got the PPG Bible and read through it in a day. I noticed someone I know was in there so I asked him about it. He said the instructors I'm going to see are great, so I'm even more excited.

I'll have my gopro, I'll post a video when I finish training.