Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Herr Bazooka posted:

The St. Louis is just a very strong T4.

I don't know if I'd say THAT much. It'd work at tier 4, maybe, but it'd be the slowest thing on the water at that tier, and the armor isn't good enough for that. It's GOOD, but not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Should I be paying for the consumable camouflage at lower tiers? Doesn't look like permanent camo is available until higher tiers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Locator posted:

Should I be paying for the consumable camouflage at lower tiers? Doesn't look like permanent camo is available until higher tiers.

The stuff that goes for credits? Absolutely, unless you're low on credits.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Honestly you should never take a cruiser or dd out without camo, even if just the 22k credit one. If you are low, take a few games in a premium ship for cash since they have permacamo.

Same with premium consumables. Premium repair,health, and smoke are musts.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

You can also get them in the daily containers you get for wins. "More Signals and Camo's" might be a good one to pick right now. Before the Arsenal I would always pick "Try Your Luck" for the increased supercontainer chance but now I do "More Resources" for the Coal to buy the upgrade modules. You can also get camo's and signals with coal.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

toadee posted:

You can also get them in the daily containers you get for wins. "More Signals and Camo's" might be a good one to pick right now. Before the Arsenal I would always pick "Try Your Luck" for the increased supercontainer chance but now I do "More Resources" for the Coal to buy the upgrade modules. You can also get camo's and signals with coal.

The Locator posted:

I would always go out with the camo you can buy for credits at low tier. The good camos that boost XP are another story altogether.

I would save those for Tier 7+ because, honestly, the biggest gate at low tier (every tier really) is credits not XP. Plus those early tiers go pretty quick even without XP boosting camo.

Also keep in mind you can now buy the good camos that boost credits, XP, and captain XP for coal in the arsenal shop.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Uhh.. thanks. I'm now more confused. There was no such thing as containers, or coal when I played beta and the first week of release. I vaguely remember they were introducing signal flags, but they were pretty rare and I only ever saw a couple in my whopping 49 games in low tiers after release.

I haven't seen any notifications about getting any of this stuff. I should be looking in the 'arsenal'? Is that in the port menu somewhere?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The Locator posted:

Uhh.. thanks. I'm now more confused. There was no such thing as containers, or coal when I played beta and the first week of release. I vaguely remember they were introducing signal flags, but they were pretty rare and I only ever saw a couple in my whopping 49 games in low tiers after release.

I haven't seen any notifications about getting any of this stuff. I should be looking in the 'arsenal'? Is that in the port menu somewhere?

You should see a meter on the left for your daily containers (when in port). The first is awarded when you earn 6,000 and change XP, the next at 12000-something, and the last at 36k-something. When you go to collect those, it will ask you what kind of container you want: More Credits, More Signals and Camos, More Resources, or "Try Your Luck" which is usually a worse container, but has a better chance of being a "Supercontainer", which will give you a much bigger reward, and occasionally a free ship.

The Arsenal is listed on the left in port as well, and in there you can buy special upgrades (you're too low of a tier to use them right now), camos, signal flags, and ships...

Really though, for now, like everyone says, you should be using a camo, even if it's just the 22k silver one, and always premium consumables. This stuff will start paying for itself very very soon as you get above average.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Containers are on Account Level 4 which you should have and would probably explain why you don't see it if you don't have that account level.

I haven't bothered with camo, premium consumables or signals on my boats under tier 5. I threw on the +exp economy signal on my tier 5's since I had over a hundred of them at one point and should probably throw the repair/refit flag on them too.
Tier 6/7 is when I rice up my boats with camo and signals.

I'm saving my premium consumables for tier 9/10.

Although I should throw some on my Cleveland since I'm not planning to run Defensive AA on anything else at the moment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

toadee posted:

You should see a meter on the left for your daily containers (when in port). The first is awarded when you earn 6,000 and change XP, the next at 12000-something, and the last at 36k-something. When you go to collect those, it will ask you what kind of container you want: More Credits, More Signals and Camos, More Resources, or "Try Your Luck" which is usually a worse container, but has a better chance of being a "Supercontainer", which will give you a much bigger reward, and occasionally a free ship.

The Arsenal is listed on the left in port as well, and in there you can buy special upgrades (you're too low of a tier to use them right now), camos, signal flags, and ships...

Really though, for now, like everyone says, you should be using a camo, even if it's just the 22k silver one, and always premium consumables. This stuff will start paying for itself very very soon as you get above average.

Thanks!

I could swear that the camo's were only like 4500 silver or something (sale price, normally 7500?) but I'll have to check again. Maybe they change prices by tiers? I know there was also a more expensive one, and one that was priced in doubloons instead of silver. Which camo should I be using, the one that increases dispersion on incoming enemy fire, the one that lowers detection range, or the higher priced one that does both?

Will have to start putting the premium consumable stuff on also.

Cash isn't a huge issue for me at the moment as I guess from my pre-order package I have around 18 million silver after buying all the modules on my current 4 ships (French Cruiser & BB and the premium cruiser and the premium Italian BB), although I would rather not be operating at a deficit. So far I've always made money and I used some of my doubloons to buy a month of premium.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The first container of the day is at 2k xp, the second at 12,5k and the last one at 37k. There should be a thing looking like this in your main port screen:

As for camos, you should always use the the one that gives -3% detection to your ship and +4% dispersion to shells fired at you on your cruiser and destroyers. On low tier BBs you can get away with the cheaper one that only gives the dispersion bonus, since your detection will be absolutely garbage and the maps you play on are very small anyway.

e: went through the bother of taking a screenshot, got beaten

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Containers are on Account Level 4 which you should have and would probably explain why you don't see it if you don't have that account level.

I haven't bothered with camo, premium consumables or signals on my boats under tier 5. I threw on the +exp economy signal on my tier 5's since I had over a hundred of them at one point and should probably throw the repair/refit flag on them too.
Tier 6/7 is when I rice up my boats with camo and signals.

I'm saving my premium consumables for tier 9/10.

Although I should throw some on my Cleveland since I'm not planning to run Defensive AA on anything else at the moment.

The Service Level on my account I assume is what you mean? It's level 14. I think they let closed beta players carry their service level into release or something as I don't think it would be nearly that high with just my 49 games after release and then the 20 or so in the last few days.

Good feedback though, I'll watch and see how things go on both the money and affects of these things and figure out what works for me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You get containers at 2000, 12500, and 37000 xp each day.

For your containers I would pick either consumables or signals and camps as they off the best value. Trying your luck for super containers can be fun if you like to gamble, but you won't get them often and they no longer can drop millions of credits or special modules. The credit containers are trash.

As a new player, I would just ignore coal and the arsenal for now. Look into it if you want, but don't stress it. It'll take ages to get enough coal to buy anything nice, and you'll get some from missions here and there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Team Container's are also going to give you a bunch of coal if you've been participating in that.

I've been going for coal because I want a Musashi as a credit earner/captain trainer :shepicide:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

You get containers at 2000, 12500, and 37000 xp each day.

For your containers I would pick either consumables or signals and camps as they off the best value. Trying your luck for super containers can be fun if you like to gamble, but you won't get them often and they no longer can drop millions of credits or special modules. The credit containers are trash.

As a new player, I would just ignore coal and the arsenal for now. Look into it if you want, but don't stress it. It'll take ages to get enough coal to buy anything nice, and you'll get some from missions here and there.

Thanks, I have been poking around on my lunch break, and found I had 8 containers, but didn't see any way to choose what type they are, so apparently they were all random as one popped up really large and gave me 50 signal flags for +333% commander xp.

Also, I found my signal flags! Lol.. I have hundreds of them (100 or more of all 5 economic flags). Do they all stack with things like the double XP on the first win of the day and/or the camo bonuses? Is there a way to have them auto-supply but never spend doubloons? Guess I can accelerate my early XP by 50% on every battle for a while if I want to.

I apparently have a "Closed Beta Test" flag I can fly on my ship. Not sure that would be a brilliant idea as I'm playing like a complete noob.

Also an oddity, I have a Russian premium DD which I have played since it's on my service record, but it doesn't show up in the tech tree, and it has no commander? Seems strange. Same thing for my Sims (not on the tech tree).

Edit: Russian DD commander is probably the guy on my Russian cruiser, I forgot the commanders are only limited to nation and not to ship type.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

I don't know if I'd say THAT much. It'd work at tier 4, maybe, but it'd be the slowest thing on the water at that tier, and the armor isn't good enough for that. It's GOOD, but not that good.

St. Louis will out-DPM any tier 4 ship, I think. Almost every tier 4 ship can kite it forever.

The Locator posted:

Also an oddity, I have a Russian premium DD which I have played since it's on my service record, but it doesn't show up in the tech tree, and it has no commander? Seems strange.
Thats the Gremy. Removed from store on account being overpowered as gently caress.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
shooting out 2 of an izumo's three turrets feels good :discourse:

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The Locator posted:

Flags and Camos

Sorting out how to maximise XP/FreeXP/CommanderXP is a game within itself. Here is a giant effortpost on setting things up flag and camo-wise https://bit.ly/2vQzQWs. General take away is that you'll always have a decent supply of 50% commander xp flags so just use them constantly and for the most part, stack your best camo's and flag's when you've got big 100%/200% daily win bonuses.

Flags and camos reeeaally speed things up when you know what you're doing. Things like just stacking FreeXP boosts when you dont have high normal XP are easy mistakes to make. Credits are independent of XP boosts so when turbo minmaxing you push hard one way or the other.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i think the memetaur is starting to click i've had some absolutely devastating rounds tonight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

masterpine posted:

Sorting out how to maximise XP/FreeXP/CommanderXP is a game within itself. Here is a giant effortpost on setting things up flag and camo-wise https://bit.ly/2vQzQWs. General take away is that you'll always have a decent supply of 50% commander xp flags so just use them constantly and for the most part, stack your best camo's and flag's when you've got big 100%/200% daily win bonuses.

Flags and camos reeeaally speed things up when you know what you're doing. Things like just stacking FreeXP boosts when you dont have high normal XP are easy mistakes to make. Credits are independent of XP boosts so when turbo minmaxing you push hard one way or the other.

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

News Flash: I am terrible at this game :v:

5 losses, 2 wins, 1 draw so far tonight. Only 1 game did I even manage to sink another ship, and my damage was horrible in all of them. For some reason the very first night I played I was much better at hitting targets than I am now. Maybe just because T1/T2 the ranges are so short and nobody maneuvers so the lead isn't nearly so long?

I really can't figure out how to properly position to get close enough to inflict decent damage (especially in a BB) without just getting focused down into a smoking wreck in about 30 seconds. Also got focused by a CV guy that knew what he was doing tonight and split his torpedo bombers to catch me from both sides... still managed to avoid all but 1 torp from each strike, but that was enough with the timing and the other BB shooting at me.

The skill thing in the OP suggests that the best skill for CA/BB at T1 is the Priority Target, but given how often I seem to be on fire, might Preventative Maintenance be a better choice? Or should I just run both until I have enough points to get a T4 skill?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

preventative mx doesn't prevent fires unfortunately.

something that helped me (and I am by no means an excellent player) is trying to understand why i died each match. most of the time it's due to overextending.

if you're in a cruiser (IIRC the french line?) hug islands and use them as cover

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Your priority when levelling a captain is to make a beeline for your lvl10 concealment expert in almost every case so make sure you're doing that instead of picking up multiple early skills. A build of PT/EM/(SI <BB>/DE <CA>/SE <DD>)/CE is the sort of baseline 10pt captain, once you're comfortable in boats you can start playing around with things from there. For the CL lines you'll need IFHE instead of CE early, sometimes getting AFT is more fun and when you're very comfortable with reading the map you can drop PT on BB's and CA's.

If you're unsure of what you're doing in a particular boat, just searching 'flamu *shipname*' in youtube is a start, he's got decent gameplay and thoughts for 90% of the ships in this game and ends most videos with a captain and module guide.

Once you've set up the flags, camo and premium consumables you want you use, you can hit auto-resupply. Just make sure you're setting it to use credits instead of doubloons for each. You should always be using premium damage control and heal, the others are optional but recommended.

Also make sure you're activly working on a campaign while playing. There is zero reason not to have something active, i think 'Science of Victory' is the beginner one for lower tier ships. Campaigns give some decent rewards so look through them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks. I found the campaign thing today and even though when you mouse over it the description says T4+, when you open it up it's actually T3+ (nice job WG), so I've been working on those, think I have 3 pieces of the first campaign complete. Thought I was going to get the torpedo parts done, until I realized after the battle that the first DD that I was playing was T2... so nope!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking of campaigns, wrapped up the Yamamoto one today so I don't feel compelled to hang out in T8-10 and I go back to running up the IJN BB line and farming in the Nelson :cabot:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Haha.. hopped in my old St. Louis which is elited and has a 7 point commander. Proceeded to light everything on fire and murder botes. Didn't actually get too many kills in the 2 battles, but got the award for burning someone to death, and in the first battle, which was a loss I was 1st place on the team for xp, and the second battle which was a win, was in 2nd place on the team xp.

So yea.. St. Louis games are the remedy for feeling like poo poo after losing a bunch of battles I guess.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Pro-Tip with campaigns: You can repeat the same task multiple times, you get the star but you dont get the reward. You can always go back a complete tasks you didn't do for the reward even once you've finished the final task but if you want to power through the stages then pick which ones you can get done.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I have been poking around on my lunch break, and found I had 8 containers, but didn't see any way to choose what type they are, so apparently they were all random as one popped up really large and gave me 50 signal flags for +333% commander xp.

If you don't pick up your daily containers from xp the game collects them automatically. You also sometimes get them from missions or campaigns etc.

Now you've seen where the containers UI is, you should notice the xp bar on it filling as you play. When you have enough, you can go in there and hit Collect container to choose

The one with 50 flags was a super container, there's a chance any container will become a super container when collected, the Try your luck option just has a higher chance. You also sometimes get a super container from missions and campaigns. Maybe even for leveling your account level?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Commander XP is calculated depending on your XP and it's own multipliers, so you'll want to maximise that along those lines. I think the drop rate of supercontainers is 1.5%, with the 'Try Your Luck' increasing that to 3%. There are plenty of campaign things that reward supercontainers too.

Never get the 'More Currency' container option because you can sell the consumables you get in the others for more than those things give you in raw credits.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I finished Halsey through clan battles this season and just finished the US collection. Have the Haifuri collection to go now, but I'm feeling fairly burned out with the constant events.

Ranked starts pretty much immediately after the clan battles season ends and with it being tier 10 again, I think I may just go to rank 10 this time and take another hiatus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

masterpine posted:

Pro-Tip with campaigns: You can repeat the same task multiple times, you get the star but you dont get the reward. You can always go back a complete tasks you didn't do for the reward even once you've finished the final task but if you want to power through the stages then pick which ones you can get done.

Ok, I guess I don't understand the campaigns completely. Why would you collect these 'stars'? Do you need to fill up the stars for each task to complete the campaign?

So far I've just finished one task and then selected a new one that I hadn't completed yet and tried to keep 3 active always.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The final task rewards for each stage and the completion rewards for the whole campaign are the big value items, best to rush through and get them quicker. You need to get a bunch of stars to unlock the final task for each stage. All the 'Science of Victory' stuff is real easy, for some of the other campaigns it's better to complete the two or three easy ones a bunch of times instead of doing the ulta-grindy or dumb tasks.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

masterpine posted:

All the 'Science of Victory' stuff is real easy, for some of the other campaigns it's better to complete the two or three easy ones a bunch of times instead of doing the ulta-grindy or dumb tasks.

Or, like in a couple of them (I'm looking at you Yamamoto campaign), the missions that require CVs. :yikes:

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

masterpine posted:

Commander XP is calculated depending on your XP and it's own multipliers, so you'll want to maximise that along those lines. I think the drop rate of supercontainers is 1.5%, with the 'Try Your Luck' increasing that to 3%. There are plenty of campaign things that reward supercontainers too.

Never get the 'More Currency' container option because you can sell the consumables you get in the others for more than those things give you in raw credits.

It isn't 3%, instead you get an extra roll still at 1.5%

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

DonkeyHotay posted:

It isn't 3%, instead you get an extra roll still at 1.5%

Meaning you lose 1.5% of 1.5% ... so over the entire lifetime of the game, the difference is that you will miss out on one supercontainer, and it would have contained 50 Hotel Yankee flags. So no special loss.

I stopped rolling Try Your Luck containers a couple weeks ago. Now I'm getting coal for the Arsenal. Which of the Arsenal ships do you think are most fun/useful?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Cobbsprite posted:

Meaning you lose 1.5% of 1.5% ... so over the entire lifetime of the game, the difference is that you will miss out on one supercontainer, and it would have contained 50 Hotel Yankee flags. So no special loss.

I stopped rolling Try Your Luck containers a couple weeks ago. Now I'm getting coal for the Arsenal. Which of the Arsenal ships do you think are most fun/useful?

The Musashi is just a Yamato with poo poo AA, higher in the water, and with less accuracy, so if you have a Yamato with a good permacamo like the gold one or anime one it's not worth it.

Oktober Revolutsia is fine. It has a gimmick of a finite number of repair charges with a 20s cooldown and decent AA at tier 5 and a large broadside armament and decent armor. But it is a tier 5 battleship, too slow to compete in current mm.

The Aigle is Khaba fast with lots of health and high fire chance guns but the arcs are awful and the shell velocity is worse than almost any other ship.

Yubari is...no. just not worth it.

The Salem is a Des Moines clone with 8.5km radar in exchange for a super heal about halfway between normal USN heal and RN superheal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

The Musashi is just a Yamato with poo poo AA, higher in the water, and with less accuracy, so if you have a Yamato with a good permacamo like the gold one or anime one it's not worth it.

Finish the Amagi, and unlock the Izumo. Then buy the Muashi, use it to grind 360k free xp (or just 360k xp and pay to convert it if you have money), and use that freexp to skip the Izumo and unlock the Yamato. Far and away the best, quickest, and least brain breaking way to reach Yamato.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Finish the Amagi, and unlock the Izumo. Then buy the Muashi, use it to grind 360k free xp (or just 360k xp and pay to convert it if you have money), and use that freexp to skip the Izumo and unlock the Yamato. Far and away the best, quickest, and least brain breaking way to reach Yamato.

I am on the Izumo right now and it's fine. I am doing better in it than the FDG. The buffs make it much tankier/stealthier.

Also buying Musashi to grind free xp is the most :lol: thing you have said in a while, NTRabbit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

I am on the Izumo right now and it's fine. I am doing better in it than the FDG. The buffs make it much tankier/stealthier.

Also buying Musashi to grind free xp is the most :lol: thing you have said in a while, NTRabbit.

The Izumo is so incredibly terrible a ship that I cannot fathom how the FdG can be any worse. Even with the armour buff making it less of an xp multiplier for 6" IFHE cruisers, the Izumo still has poo poo detection, poo poo guns, poo poo AA, poo poo agility, and is so gently caress off huge it's trivial to hit with any weapon system in the game, plus it's one of the older battleships that still gets turbofucked through the citadel during its enormous turning circle. Iowa makes Izumo look like a sick joke.

Izumo is so bad that yes, buying Musashi to grind free xp to skip it is a valid option, because Musashi is a much better t9 battleship than Izumo. Plus, you can't buy Missouri to do it anymore.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The Izumo is so incredibly terrible a ship that I cannot fathom how the FdG can be any worse. Even with the armour buff making it less of an xp multiplier for 6" IFHE cruisers, the Izumo still has poo poo detection, poo poo guns, poo poo AA, poo poo agility, and is so gently caress off huge it's trivial to hit with any weapon system in the game, plus it's one of the older battleships that still gets turbofucked through the citadel during its enormous turning circle. Iowa makes Izumo look like a sick joke.

Izumo is so bad that yes, buying Musashi to grind free xp to skip it is a valid option, because Musashi is a much better t9 battleship than Izumo. Plus, you can't buy Missouri to do it anymore.

It has 12.9 detection vs 13.5 on the FDG and way better main guns, plus very little superstructure to hit, so it can now bow tank at range and not be HE melted as readily.

If you want to skip a ship for free xp that's fine, but don't BUY ANOTHER SHIP just to grind free xp. Just grind other lines and use free xp flags ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Musashi costs an absolutely crazy amount of FXP to grind... Just loving concert xp from other ships and use it to skip izumo directly, because it takes far less to do that than Musashi costs. Like.. half as much, at least.