Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still trying to find a planet/spot worthy of being my main base. I either want beachfront, mountainside, or next to a portal, and so far I haven't found anything that lives up to my probably too harsh standards. I should really just start building in my freighter.

Speaking of building in the freighter, does your freighter base transfer over to the new one when you buy a freighter, or do you have to like dismantle everything first?

According to a guide I found, freighter customization doesn't carry over if you buy a new one. I've done very little in mine so far until I can buy a better one, since my free freighter was a lovely C rank with only 16 slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What's the signal booster trick? I'm currently only using navigational data to look for artifacts, and then seek forgotten knowledge from those alien sites. Is there a way to scan for specifically these infested sites? (/edit: Since I just googled this, I take it you can scan for distress calls on the signal booster to find these?)

The trick is whenever you are at a building of any type, if you do the free scan (find nearby structures) it will always return another building of the same type. Buildings seem to be generated in pairs. So if you find one ancient ruin, you found two, etc.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just tallied up the required resources for the repair of my A-class hauler and while 2 million for technology modules isn't a problem, and the fuckton of pure ferrite/sodium/etc. also seems pretty doable...7200 chromatic metal and 750 platinum? Holy christ. I only have portable refiners at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure how to swing that.
I take it that I can just leave the most expensive broken slots in the inventory and technology section for later, and just gradually repair them, or will the ship suffer any negative effects while not fully repaired?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So what's this thing about module adjacency bonuses? What are they and how do I setup my modules to do that?

Also I haven't read to far back in the thread but is there some kind of quick secret way to max out my exosuit slots?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just tallied up the required resources for the repair of my A-class hauler and while 2 million for technology modules isn't a problem, and the fuckton of pure ferrite/sodium/etc. also seems pretty doable...7200 chromatic metal and 750 platinum? Holy christ. I only have portable refiners at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure how to swing that.
I take it that I can just leave the most expensive broken slots in the inventory and technology section for later, and just gradually repair them, or will the ship suffer any negative effects while not fully repaired?

There is no penalty for leaving a slot broken other than not being able to use the slot. 750 platinum seems like a big ask but you can harvest it from asteroid fields if you're lucky- look for the ones that look like spiky yellow flowers. For the chromatic metal, if you have access to green or blue star systems you can harvest elements that turn into chromatic metal much more efficiently than copper and run multiple refiners at the same time (it's only 28 stacks of 250).

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what's this thing about module adjacency bonuses? What are they and how do I setup my modules to do that?

Also I haven't read to far back in the thread but is there some kind of quick secret way to max out my exosuit slots?

If you put two related modules (two pulse drive booster, two life support bonus, etc) next to each other horizontally or vertically, you get a small additional bonus to whatever area they buff. That's the whole thing, really. Both purchased modules and constructed blueprints work this way and work with each other.

The fast secret way to max out slots is to repeatedly join multiplayer games, beeline for the local station, and buy the slot there. This will cost a whole lot of credits, the prices go up fast.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The ship will work fine with broken inventory slots as long as the main systems are fixed up. (Freebie multi tools with broken slots work the same way).

You may be better off conning an alien with a working A rank ship to trade for yours, but if you really like the one you have your best bet may be to hire a bunch of trader frigates. They'll give you 100 chromatic metal every 20 minutes or so just by landing on them.

750 platinum will be a pain though. You can refine geodesite or iridescite into like 500 plat but those are rare. Your can also refine 4500 tritium into 750 platinum but :gonk:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Hell, I'm not even at a point where I know anything about freighters, proper bases, how to hire trader frigates, and all that good stuff. I haven't even really "settled down" with a main base yet. I figured I'd build a temporary base to research some of the science terminal stuff early on while trying to repair the shuttle, then I came across this hauler. But now that I've set up gates at my two bases, I figure I can also just pack up, move to a more lucrative system, build a proper base there, and fix up my hauler via gates.

gently caress me, this game is big. I don't think I've ever gotten side-tracked this hard in any other game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is it possible to save a base and kind of... delete it and move it to a different site? Kind of how the reclaimed base works from old saves?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can get a lot of resources for repairing spaceships by raiding Supply depots Just use a signal booster and scan for secure channels.

As a bonus you can also find some Manufactoring stations and Operation centers.

Edit: Also, that 47 slot ship is pretty much as good as you can get.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Is it possible to just straight up sell ships? I've got 2 junkers on my freighter that I have no intention of ever repairing or using and I'd much rather have more money than them sitting there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I found this but couldn't afford it 😭

https://twitter.com/notecec/status/1027503683687391232?s=21

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Is it possible to just straight up sell ships? I've got 2 junkers on my freighter that I have no intention of ever repairing or using and I'd much rather have more money than them sitting there.

In a normal game sure. But this.. IS NO MAN'S SKY BABY!

:negative:

Maybe if enough of us submit a feedback requesting this on their site...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
we need a :darksouls: for NMS

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The best you can do with busted up ships is try to trade them for better ships and accept that you'll just have to pay the difference. But yeah, selling unwanted ships should be a thing as long as they're going to let us have more than one

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe if enough of us submit a feedback requesting this on their site...

Well it's worth a shot I guess. I really want to become a used ship salesman.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Selling ships is probably scheduled to be implemented after they fix all the crash and save corruption bugs. Having a full hangar is pretty far down the list of problems players are having right now.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh, I don't have a freighter yet, not even sure how to get one. I started building the construction panel and that let to a whole other slew of side questing I'm following now, mostly because the stuff I'm doing for my first overseer seems to yield a ton of blueprints.

I'm planning to kinda max out on whatever questing this overseer/scientist eventually have for me and then move on.

After a few warps into new systems, you'll get hailed by a Captain asking for your help from pirates. Shoot them all down (easier than it seems) and he'll invite you aboard to ask you to take over.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Remember the system name if you like the look of it. You can come later to buy it when you're rich.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

Selling ships is probably scheduled to be implemented after they fix all the crash and save corruption bugs. Having a full hangar is pretty far down the list of problems players are having right now.

Yeah considering that they don't even have a menu for viewing your owned ships, it is a feature that will need work, and right now I just want the bugs fixed tbh. Though one QoL addition I would like to have asap is base names being displayed on the HUD instead of having a bunch of YOUR BASE markers on my screen. :argh: I have MULTIPLE BASES IN THE AREA DAMMIT!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

haveblue posted:

Considering that they are consistently nerfing the poo poo out of every money making opportunities I doubt that or they will only allow to sell ship at crazy low price.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

The best you can do with busted up ships is try to trade them for better ships and accept that you'll just have to pay the difference. But yeah, selling unwanted ships should be a thing as long as they're going to let us have more than one

I usually salvage a junker in each of the ship classes. However I've found that when you own 6 ships (the maximum allowed), NPC spaceships stop docking at your freighter. Usually it's not a big deal, but when you're trying to trade for something specific for a quest (like Vy'keen daggers), it's another roadblock on an already RNG-heavy item hunt.

I'd just suggest sticking with 5 ships, one for each class: Fighter, Hauler, Shuttle, Explorer, and Exotic. Your starter/pre-order ship occupies the fighter slot.

Next up on the testing slot, I'm gonna see if your first free freighter is pre-determined, totally random, or if you can affect what you can get.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Krogort posted:

Considering that they are consistently nerfing the poo poo out of every money making opportunities I doubt that or they will only allow to sell ship at crazy low price.

While true, I don't see why selling ships would be an issue considering they cost money to begin with. Or time. I could see them nerfing the poo poo out of sales prices for ships with damaged slots though to prevent people from just collecting broken ships and immediately selling them. I mean it would make sense that damage ships wouldn't be full value.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah considering that they don't even have a menu for viewing your owned ships, it is a feature that will need work, and right now I just want the bugs fixed tbh. Though one QoL addition I would like to have asap is base names being displayed on the HUD instead of having a bunch of YOUR BASE markers on my screen. :argh: I have MULTIPLE BASES IN THE AREA DAMMIT!

Whats that you say about all your base?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

haveblue posted:

There is no penalty for leaving a slot broken other than not being able to use the slot. 750 platinum seems like a big ask but you can harvest it from asteroid fields if you're lucky- look for the ones that look like spiky yellow flowers. For the chromatic metal, if you have access to green or blue star systems you can harvest elements that turn into chromatic metal much more efficiently than copper and run multiple refiners at the same time (it's only 28 stacks of 250).

If you put two related modules (two pulse drive booster, two life support bonus, etc) next to each other horizontally or vertically, you get a small additional bonus to whatever area they buff. That's the whole thing, really. Both purchased modules and constructed blueprints work this way and work with each other.

The fast secret way to max out slots is to repeatedly join multiplayer games, beeline for the local station, and buy the slot there. This will cost a whole lot of credits, the prices go up fast.

Oh man, I didn't know you could buy slots from space stations. Where is that part located? I thought I've been through every room

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Krogort posted:

This may be is giving the devs too much credit but I think the idea is that they have a notion of economic progression where you're a scrubby peasant desperately leeching units out of stock transfers in those sci-fi trailer shelters and eventually become a planet-owning magnate blithely churning out multiple fusion igniters for hundreds of millions of units in an hour so that you can replace your S-rank 34-slot freighter with a different S-rank 34-slot freighter at the drop of a hat because you like the colour better.

Between that point A and that point B are five or six different ways to make money at various speeds and contained within those actions is pretty much the entire game that isn't following the Awakening storyline. If any one of those other methods is inordinately successful then you're less encouraged to explore the other methods, hence them tamping down anything that becomes a bit too successful. They haven't touched high end crafting and I don't expect them to because by the time you have a consistent setup to make multiple end-products you've been playing for dozens of hours anyway.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm now wondering how many signal boosters I've left strewn across the galaxy in my wake. There is a significant chance I'll forget to pick mine back up.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Buy Chromatic Metal from ship traders at space stations out trading posts. Haulers usually have more inventory

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is very dumb how you need two Fleet Command Rooms to manage two expeditions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to teleport stuff back out of your freighter? I have tons of stuff stored up there, but I don't want to fly up there and dock every time I need something from storage.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Libluini posted:

Is there some way to teleport stuff back out of your freighter? I have tons of stuff stored up there, but I don't want to fly up there and dock every time I need something from storage.

Sort of. If you have the storage boxes set up on a base somewhere, you can move things from your freighter directly to your base storage, and pull it out manually. There isn't a way to move from the freighter directly to your ship or exosuit unless you're physically on the freighter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You don't have to get out of your ship to transfer items though. You can just land, do it, and take off again. It's not great but it's something.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, I can take the other A-class shuttle, repair the thrusters, fly it to the station and then just sell it there, and then repair this hauler?

Unless they patched it, you do not even have to repair the thrusters. Claim it, log out, log back in, it's in your freighter. :monocle:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Meiteron posted:

Sort of. If you have the storage boxes set up on a base somewhere, you can move things from your freighter directly to your base storage, and pull it out manually. There isn't a way to move from the freighter directly to your ship or exosuit unless you're physically on the freighter.

Life got a lot easier for me when I realized I could hit triangle on an empty slot in my inventory and moves items from my base storage without having to go to each individual cube manually. There's still the extra step of Freighter > Base Storage > Exosuit, but it's better than flying to the freighter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also so I thought you needed to build a portal in your base to be able to portal to your base, but you apparently only need a portal to go from your base to other of your bases.

Like, you can use a station portal to go to a base with nothing but a Base Computer and your ship will be right there too.

Also I don't get why my ship is always there when I use portals, it doesn't make sense at all other than for gameplay.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone dived deep into the Frigate system? I like the idea of amassing a huge fleet but would like it more if it pays off big.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh fun, my game keeps freezing when I use the manual save point.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CRAYON posted:

Anyone dived deep into the Frigate system? I like the idea of amassing a huge fleet but would like it more if it pays off big.

Within the last couple pages someone posted a Reddit write up that is really good.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there any kind of construction item that the vehicle stations can be placed on? I don't want to have to place them directly into the ground.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

There is no penalty for leaving a slot broken other than not being able to use the slot. 750 platinum seems like a big ask but you can harvest it from asteroid fields if you're lucky- look for the ones that look like spiky yellow flowers.
You can get plat from other asteroids, too. If you have a field that's the kind of chunky square-ish ones (not the cigar-shaped) look for asteroids that resemble...I dunno, to me they look like vertebrae or pelvises. They'll have holes in them and be differently shaped. They're the same nondescript brown as the rest so you have to rely on shape, but I've found those way more than the crystal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Revol posted:

Is there any kind of construction item that the vehicle stations can be placed on? I don't want to have to place them directly into the ground.

I don't think so but if you're worried about some of it hanging out looking unsupported you can just use the terrain manipulator and fill in under it, that's what I did and it ended up looking fine.