Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
I have a friend with a Smart, he lives in Chicago.

It has no problems keeping up with traffic on highways doing 90+mph. And is very smooth and comfortable while doing so.

Might need to change driving habits though, need to drive fairly defensively as the Smarts are small enough that they disappear in other driver's blind spots.

It gets mediocre fuel economy for a vehicle its size, and the transmission shifts clunky. But otherwise it's a fine vehicle. Surprisingly roomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dub Step Dad posted:

Hey everyone I’m not so much looking for recommendations so much as I’m just wondering if this car I found seems like a good fit, but here’s the basics:

Cost: $4550
New or Used: Used
Make and Model: 2013 Smart Fortwo
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes around town (<5 miles each), with regular 70 mile trips on the highway.

My girlfriend needs a new car to get around and she loves the way Smart cars look as well as the gas mileage and how easy they are to park. The thing I’m most worried about is that she likes to visit her family an hour away every other week or so.
It otherwise seems like a great fit and we love how affordable it is. We live in northern Indiana so we’re not going to have to deal with any huge hills or anything, I’m just concerned that she might get blown off the highway.

Smart cars are rough on the highway if you have to deal with traffic. Overtaking takes a lot of planning. They bounce around a lot due to their low mass and short wheelbase.

They're great in town, but not so great for highways. My daughter loves hers, but I can't figure out why, tbh.

People develop emotional attachments to them not unlike the old Beetles back in the 60s. If it clicks with you, you'll love it. If it doesn't, you'll hate it.

Whether it's a "good" or "bad" car depends entirely on how you perceive it.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
So I'm in kind of an odd situation - I'm looking for a solid daily commuter for a 40km (ouch) daily commute that's also fun to drive. I was leasing the last couple years but since I left the USA for Canada I had to return my previous car. I've previously driven a 2017 Civic EX-T and really liked it - I like the pick up and go and handling, plus the civic has all the bells and whistles I really like. The problem is that I start work in two weeks, and I need a car for then.

I'm gonna look at some new cars like the Civic, Jetta, WRX and Corolla, any suggestions on other similar models?My budget is probably 25-35k Canadian. I will say that I was really unimpressed with the base model Elantra I test drove today, but it wasn't the sport so it really didn't have the pick up I've come to expect.

At this time of year is it worth it to look at a used car and pick up something cheap-ish so I have time to decide on a purchase since new models are coming out?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Solis posted:

So I'm in kind of an odd situation - I'm looking for a solid daily commuter for a 40km (ouch) daily commute that's also fun to drive. I was leasing the last couple years but since I left the USA for Canada I had to return my previous car. I've previously driven a 2017 Civic EX-T and really liked it - I like the pick up and go and handling, plus the civic has all the bells and whistles I really like. The problem is that I start work in two weeks, and I need a car for then.

I'm gonna look at some new cars like the Civic, Jetta, WRX and Corolla, any suggestions on other similar models?My budget is probably 25-35k Canadian. I will say that I was really unimpressed with the base model Elantra I test drove today, but it wasn't the sport so it really didn't have the pick up I've come to expect.

At this time of year is it worth it to look at a used car and pick up something cheap-ish so I have time to decide on a purchase since new models are coming out?

The go-to car in that category is the Mazda 3. It's an excellent compromise of practicality and fun-to-drive.

You may not like it, but you probably will. Take one for a drive.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Going to see a 2006 Nissan Xterra today. Any weak points I should look out for?

5 recalls

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Dub Step Dad posted:

Hey everyone I’m not so much looking for recommendations so much as I’m just wondering if this car I found seems like a good fit, but here’s the basics:

Cost: $4550
New or Used: Used
Make and Model: 2013 Smart Fortwo
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes around town (<5 miles each), with regular 70 mile trips on the highway.

My girlfriend needs a new car to get around and she loves the way Smart cars look as well as the gas mileage and how easy they are to park. The thing I’m most worried about is that she likes to visit her family an hour away every other week or so.
It otherwise seems like a great fit and we love how affordable it is. We live in northern Indiana so we’re not going to have to deal with any huge hills or anything, I’m just concerned that she might get blown off the highway.

The Smart also requires premium gas and returns poor mileage given its tiny engine and low weight if I recall correctly. Maintenance will also be more expensive than something like a used Japanese subcompact.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I checked out Smart cars a few years back and I was disappointed in the fuel economy and the premium cost for the actual vehicle for what you got. I was under the impression you could get transportation for something like $8-10k and cruise around at 60mpg. You'd need to have it be that cheap to own and run to justify putting around in that IMO.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TraderStav posted:

I checked out Smart cars a few years back and I was disappointed in the fuel economy and the premium cost for the actual vehicle for what you got. I was under the impression you could get transportation for something like $8-10k and cruise around at 60mpg. You'd need to have it be that cheap to own and run to justify putting around in that IMO.

The automatic transmission in the last gen smart was utter junk and an afterthought. In other markets it got a manual trans and that's what made it mostly tolerable but they never offered the manual in the US. They are offering the manual into this generation although it's only a five speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TraderStav posted:

If you want that I think the Mitsubishi Mirage is probably the closet you can come, although at that price point why would you ever buy a new car?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm looking at a 2012 Honda Civic at a dealership, and I'm taking a look at the Autocheck results (I'm using this trick to look at the Autocheck results before I pay for a Carfax report). The Civic is listed for $7995 and it's got 108,000 miles on it.

The Autocheck report looks fairly straightforward, except for this part:

code:
08/12/2013	TX	 39,505 Auto Auction	AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE
08/13/2013	TX	 39,505 Auto Auction	REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
08/31/2013	CA	 39,522 State Agency	PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
11/16/2013	CA	 39,603 Motor Vehicle Dept.	ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
Needless to say, "auction announced as fleet/lease" seems quite suspect, but is there any way to determine if this was a rental car or just a lease? Buying a used rental seems like an obvious non-starter, but how bad of an idea is it to buy a used lease?

Aglet56 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 8, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

things off-lease are fine

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Does "auction announced as fleet/lease" mean that somebody leased it as a brand new car, then returned it at 39,505 miles, then the leasing company sold it? Or does it mean that the lease began at 39,505 miles? (I know used leases are a thing but presumably they're pretty rare).

Also is there any way I can tell if it was a rental or a fleet car vs. a lease?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

Does "auction announced as fleet/lease" mean that somebody leased it as a brand new car, then returned it at 39,505 miles, then the leasing company sold it? Or does it mean that the lease began at 39,505 miles? (I know used leases are a thing but presumably they're pretty rare).

Also is there any way I can tell if it was a rental or a fleet car vs. a lease?

Yes, it means it was returned with 39k on the clock, and was auctioned off by the leasing company. You can tell if it was a rental company or not by looking at the first owner registration on the Autocheck/Carfax. It should say either "personal lease" or "rental company."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone have any tips on a good way to pick a mechanic for an out of state pre purchase inspection?

Of course, I can just search for local mechanics and look at their reviews. Anything else I should be looking for for this specific usage?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have any tips on a good way to pick a mechanic for an out of state pre purchase inspection?

Of course, I can just search for local mechanics and look at their reviews. Anything else I should be looking for for this specific usage?

is it an interesting car or no?

standard practice for like M cars, Alfas 105/115s, old Saabs, Volvos etc is to post on an enthusiast board for shop recs

if it's standard america iron or import stuff, it doesn't really matter.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just a standard regular car.

That happens to be 4 thousand cheaper in other areas of the country.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Just a standard regular car.

That happens to be 4 thousand cheaper in other areas of the country.

is it a subaru

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nah, it's a used CX9. Just a limited selection of them available with the options we want around here.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm looking for a cheap reliable car but I've never bought a car before, please advise!

About me: Average early twenties American male. Great credit.
Current car: Kia Forte originally owned by my parents :kiddo:
Proposed Budget: Up to $5000 up front, and/or up to $250/month
New or Used: See below.
Body Style: 4 wheels and an engine, automatic. Outside of that I don't care.
How I will be using the car: Commuting to work (10 miles, 20 round trip) and getting myself from A to B.
What aspects are most important: Low cost to buy/own, and good reliability. MPG is only relevant as far as cost is concerned.

I was thinking about leasing a new Corolla or Civic, my logic being that 1) getting a new car under a dealer's warranty is the safest (in terms of reliability, as opposed to buying used or certified pre-owned) and Honda and Toyota are generally reliable brands, and 2) I can have the flexibility of getting a nice car with the option to not buy it at the end of the term. Although after reading the OP I guess leasing isn't a cost-effective idea in the long term unless I really want the latest models. But at the same time, I'm terrified of paying for a used car that shits the bed as soon as I'm off the lot. I'm kind of stuck on what to do I guess. Also I'm not sure what reliable cars are out there outside of Toyota and Honda.

P.S. I apologize if my parameters sound like a bunch of other people who've posted in the thread, I'm sure my situation isn't unique :I

Stupid newbie again. Here's an update:

I'm definitely going to get a used car, and I might be very close to it. I'm seeing a dealer out of state for a 2015 Toyota Corolla LE Premium (specs here) at $10.7k (which includes, the dealer promised, only a document fee and discounts--and no other fees and no warranty). With taxes and registration it's about $11.9k. So my expectation (hope) is that I'll see $11.9k on the papers if I go to sign. $3k up front, financing the other 9. The plan is, I'll go to the dealership (again, out of state) this weekend to test drive it and confirm the numbers (which we've also had multiple prior phone calls about), then take the car to get a pre-purchase inspection in that state (not in my home state). If it all checks out, I'll sign and hopefully drive away with it. (I'm not trading in my Forte, my buddy will drive it to my parent's house for me. It's probably going back to them.) I already got a quote for financing from my bank and a quote for insurance from my insurance agency. The car will be registered in my state of course.

So naturally I'm extremely nervous because there are any number of hitches that could send me back to square one.

• Is it unreasonable to walk if he pushes any last minute fees on me before signing or springs anything on me afterwards?
  • I'm not sure what I'll do if the inspection turns up anything; if it's on the order of hundreds of dollars or less and isn't critical, I'll probably ask the dealer to sell me the difference, otherwise walk.
  • What if he offers me financing through his dealership and the interest rate is lower than my bank's offer? Should I take it or stick with my bank? Is there, or should I expect, any funny business involved with financing through a dealership (again, out of state) versus a bank?
  • Is the price unreasonable/too good to be true? I thought it was very good based on my research but maybe I missed something.
  • Is there anything wrong with my choice of car either in general or for my specific purposes?
  • Is there any other miscellaneous BS from the dealer that I could expect at this point in my search? I'm so desperate to get this search over with. I'm doing my best to hide my hunger from the dealer, and I've already made it clear that I will walk if the car fails inspection or any fees get sprung on me, but I can't just ignore the fact that I'm working with a car salesman here.
  • Is there anything else I have to do? I've got my bank quote and insurance quote, dealer will handle title/registration/plates, I'll probably have to get an in-state inspection once I get the car... can't think of anything else that I haven't already mentioned.
  • Is it too hopeful to expect that, if all goes as planned, I can drive out of the lot with the car on the same day?

Sorry for the wall of text. Also sorry for all the parentheses. I've done a lot of research already so I'm fairly certain things should go smoothly but I figure I'd get an appraisal of my specific situation here.

e: mileage is 43k. According to the Carfax it was a standard 3y personal lease.

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 9, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should definitely be willing to walk if anything shows up fishy. It does sound like a good deal depending on mileage but I don't know about too good to be true unless it's incredibly low mileage or something.

The main annoying things that dealers do, in my experience, is try to get you to use their financing and sell you an extended warranty. If you tell them the rate your bank is giving you they'll probably come back .1% lower or something pointless like that. Fending off the extended warranty is usually the most annoying part of the transaction for me.

It's totally doable to leave the dealership with the car same day—just gotta be willing to walk away if something fishy happens. Every car I've bought has been a buy it and drive away kinda thing, and they really want you to drive away in the thing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So my wife needs another car for her hour long commute, but it is is going to also be our family car for road trips and things.

We are looking to spend less than 10k if used, but probably up to 30k or 35k if we can find something new that fits the bill.

We need something with 3rd row seating.
No minivans because she has more vanity than I do.
Must be a manual transmission because this is important to her.
We would like 4WD or AWD.

We are willing to go with an older vehicle (our newest car is a 2005 but I just sold an '89 volvo and a '96 toyota) as long as it doesn't have a million miles on it and is reliable.

So far the volvo XC90 sounds like it was technically offered with this list of features, but we could only find 4 for sale in the whole country that are manual transmission.

Any other suggestions? Are we just looking for a unicorn?

therobit fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 9, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think any other cars with a third row seat come with a manual transmission.I didn't know any of them came with a manual transmission in that size.

If you drop the manual transmission requirement, Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. You're really better off just sucking it up and buying a minivan though. They're much nicer than they used to be, might be worth at least looking at.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 9, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean, long daily commute vehicle and family vehicle are basically opposite things.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

powderific posted:

You should definitely be willing to walk if anything shows up fishy. It does sound like a good deal depending on mileage but I don't know about too good to be true unless it's incredibly low mileage or something.

The main annoying things that dealers do, in my experience, is try to get you to use their financing and sell you an extended warranty. If you tell them the rate your bank is giving you they'll probably come back .1% lower or something pointless like that. Fending off the extended warranty is usually the most annoying part of the transaction for me.

It's totally doable to leave the dealership with the car same day—just gotta be willing to walk away if something fishy happens. Every car I've bought has been a buy it and drive away kinda thing, and they really want you to drive away in the thing.

D'oh! Forgot to mention the mileage. 43k, it was a personal lease vehicle before that. To me that sounds about average for a 3 year old vehicle, given that the average yearly mileage for personal vehicles is ~15k.

The dealer briefly tried to sell me on a warranty but, to my surprise, he backed off quickly when I told him I was not interested. In fact I was the one who brought up the subject because I wanted to make sure the price did not include a warranty.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The finance guy is the one who cares about selling you the warranty. The sales guy will focus on the car price, and then when you're doing the paperwork the finance guy will try to get you to use their financing and sell you a warranty.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

D'oh! Forgot to mention the mileage. 43k, it was a personal lease vehicle before that. To me that sounds about average for a 3 year old vehicle, given that the average yearly mileage for personal vehicles is ~15k.

The dealer briefly tried to sell me on a warranty but, to my surprise, he backed off quickly when I told him I was not interested. In fact I was the one who brought up the subject because I wanted to make sure the price did not include a warranty.

Sounds like you've done your homework properly and have learned to recognize a good deal on the car you want.

Go for it and have fun!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i have like 2500 bucks to get a beater car. i don't really give a poo poo what make/model, it'll basically be to go to work and only local driving. is the recommendation to still get a prius?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i have like 2500 bucks to get a beater car. i don't really give a poo poo what make/model, it'll basically be to go to work and only local driving. is the recommendation to still get a prius?

The Prius is always a good choice for a driving appliance. That said, at that price, the fact that a car has been regularly maintained is more important than a specific make and model.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My parents are poised to buy a car today, and I may need some advice from this thread.

We need a new 2018-model small SUV/crossover for my mom to drive around town, and for us to take family trips to Colorado in the winter. Our budget is $27K but we may be able to go a bit higher if we have to.

Features we absolutely need that are deal-breakers if we don’t get even one of them:
  • Low enough to the groung that mom can get in and out of it easy (Nissan Rogue and Ford Escape are both good for this, Honda CR-V is too tall)
  • Comfortable leather seats (this is super important. Mom has medical issues that make it hard for her to sit in certain seats for a long time. She loves the Rogue’s seats, but hates the CR-V’s and Escape’s)
  • EVERY advanced safety feature out there (I want my mommy to be safe)
  • Good air conditioning
  • Cruise control of some kind
  • Rear-view camera
  • Navigation system
  • Sunroof/moonroof (mom wants to be able to smoke without rolling windows down)
  • Enough cargo space to hold my mom’s walker and/or a wheelchair, plus luggage for a trip

So...... basically we’re looking for an affordable unicorn.

So far we’ve test-driven a 2018 Nissan Rogue SL and a 2018 Ford Escape SE, and the Rogue is by far the front-runner because it’s low enough to the ground that mom can get in and out of it easy, and because the seats are comfortable enough for her to sit in for a long period of time. However, I know Rogues aren’t the best cars out there; they’re okay but not great. If we do get a Rogue, I want it to be the SL trim level with the ProPilot Assist cruise control, even though that’s gonna drive up the price.

I’m wondering if it would be worth our time to take a look at a Chevrolet Equinox (which is decently reviewed but more expensive) or a Toyota RAV4 (which is cheaper, but less comfortable and probably smaller). What say y’all?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 10, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A small snag - I noticed that Toyota just started a service campaign last week for '14-'17 Corollas to fix an electronic bug that can cause CVTs to wear quickly. Should I call up the dealer and tell them to fix it? I can probably do it myself once I get it but I guess it would be more convenient if I could get them to handle it.

powderific posted:

The finance guy is the one who cares about selling you the warranty. The sales guy will focus on the car price, and then when you're doing the paperwork the finance guy will try to get you to use their financing and sell you a warranty.

I think I'll be fine as long as there's no BS fees on the paper when I go to sign, and no other weird poo poo like waiving lemon law obligations. I can always say no to financing through them/extended warranties.

Deteriorata posted:

Sounds like you've done your homework properly and have learned to recognize a good deal on the car you want.

Go for it and have fun!

:blush: Thanks!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

The Prius is always a good choice for a driving appliance. That said, at that price, the fact that a car has been regularly maintained is more important than a specific make and model.

Okay. I'm literally just using it for a commuter/around town beater. anything to look for or ask for with Priuses and/or cars in that range? i've tried reading that last 20-30 pages of the thread but haven't found much specifics.

i got pretty lucky with the car i bought years ago for a couple of grand (97 Honda Accord) and was able to get another 100k miles on it with light maintenance, so i'm hoping for something like that.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My parents are poised to buy a car today, and I may need some advice from this thread.

We need a new 2018-model small SUV/crossover for my mom to drive around town, and for us to take family trips to Colorado in the winter. Our budget is $27K but we may be able to go a bit higher if we have to.

Features we absolutely need that are deal-breakers if we don’t get even one of them:
  • Low enough to the groung that mom can get in and out of it easy (Nissan Rogue and Ford Escape are both good for this, Honda CR-V is too tall)
  • Comfortable leather seats (this is super important. Mom has medical issues that make it hard for her to sit in certain seats for a long time. She loves the Rogue’s seats, but hates the CR-V’s and Escape’s)
  • EVERY advanced safety feature out there (I want my mommy to be safe)
  • Good air conditioning
  • Cruise control of some kind
  • Rear-view camera
  • Navigation system
  • Sunroof/moonroof (mom wants to be able to smoke without rolling windows down
  • Enough cargo space to hold my mom’s walker and/or a wheelchair, plus luggage for a trip

So...... basically we’re looking for an affordable unicorn.

So far we’ve test-driven a 2018 Nissan Rogue SL and a 2018 Ford Escape SE, and the Rogue is by far the front-runner because it’s low enough to the ground that mom can get in and out of it easy, and because the seats are comfortable enough for her to sit in for a long period of time. However, I know Rogues aren’t the best cars out there; they’re okay but not great. If we do get a Rogue, I want it to be the SL trim level with the ProPilot Assist cruise control, even though that’s gonna drive up the price.

I’m wondering if it would be worth our time to take a look at a Chevrolet Equinox (which is decently reviewed but more expensive) or a Toyota RAV4 (which is cheaper, but less comfortable and probably smaller). What say y’all?

I just built an AWD HR-V EX-L with leather and Honda Sensing on their website for under $27k MSRP. Has a moon roof and parking sensors can be added for like $500. Smaller than the Rogue but may check all your boxes. Worth a test drive to see if the seats are better than the CR-V.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 9, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Are certified pre-owned's off the table? That might be an acceptable way to offset the cost of the premium features you're looking for (maybe someone else can weigh in on certified pre-owned's though 'cause I'm not an expert)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I don't think any other cars with a third row seat come with a manual transmission.I didn't know any of them came with a manual transmission in that size.

If you drop the manual transmission requirement, Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. You're really better off just sucking it up and buying a minivan though. They're much nicer than they used to be, might be worth at least looking at.

Yeah, my wife will not accept another manual transmission on her daily driver, and we don't want to own 3 cars. I'll just have to wait until one becomes available within a reasonable distance.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SciFiDownBeat posted:

(maybe someone else can weigh in on certified pre-owned's though 'cause I'm not an expert)

I'm not anti CPO at all, but "Certified Pre Owned" vehicles are just used cars that meet certain mileage and age requirements that are sold with a factory backed extended warranty as part of a package deal. There is nothing special about them at all. Maybe a Jr lube tech pretended to fill out the 172 point inspection or whatever.

For example, there is zero difference in buying a used 2016 Ford Fusion at a Toyota dealership, and then buying the Ford Extended warranty from a dealer online, vs buying a used 2016 "Certified Pre Owned" Ford Fusion at a Ford dealership. They both bought the cars at the auto auction for their used lot. The price is probably much different though. The Ford dealer will command a premium for the CPO marketing and built in extended warranty.

Most of my experience has been with Ford vehicles, so this may not be true across all brands, especially Luxury brands. MB or BMW may have a better CPO program.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

therobit posted:

So my wife needs another car for her hour long commute, but it is is going to also be our family car for road trips and things.

We are looking to spend less than 10k if used, but probably up to 30k or 35k if we can find something new that fits the bill.

We need something with 3rd row seating.
No minivans because she has more vanity than I do.
Must be a manual transmission because this is important to her.
We would like 4WD or AWD.

We are willing to go with an older vehicle (our newest car is a 2005 but I just sold an '89 volvo and a '96 toyota) as long as it doesn't have a million miles on it and is reliable.

So far the volvo XC90 sounds like it was technically offered with this list of features, but we could only find 4 for sale in the whole country that are manual transmission.

Any other suggestions? Are we just looking for a unicorn?

There are very very very few stickshifts that will fit this (maybe none?). My wife and I are both lifelong (until the past few years) manual transmission drivers, but if you want a modern non-sportscar you've got very few options. It's a minivan, but a Mazda5 is one of the few 3rd row vehicles that fit the bill. I just test drove one yesterday in automatic trim, and I think it's a nice little car. If you've only driven old cars, the Mazda5 will feel like a very nice car, I thought it was nice. Mazdas are known for building sporty feeling / handling cars, even if it's for their crossovers/sedans. I think the 2nd generation Mazda5 is a pretty attractive car and they can be had in your pricerange.

So that takes me to my question...
Shopping for a new to us wife car - shockingly we have somewhat similar requirements, except no need for a 3rd row seat. She's currently driving a Honda Element which she likes, but is terrible for getting our 2.5 year old out of. The combination of suicide door + setback rear seat makes it hard to get him in and out. I feel like we're only a few months away from that getting much easier, but I'm not sure that will convince her to keep driving it. I've been driving an old 'free' Subaru Forester which has been hardly free since we've had it - lots of repair costs. I don't love the Element because of the tall roof, I whitewater kayak 2-3 times a week and loading/unloading boats off the Element is a pain in the rear end. I love the idea of the Honda for camping weekends with just the boy and I when he gets a bit older.

Best choice is to try to find as nice of a Mazda5 for around 10k? She doesn't drive tons, but she really likes a car in good shape, and she keeps it very clean and in good shape. Should I spend $15k? What's the best $$ amount to spend on a car for a pretty new pretty safe car that fits that? Any other cars to look at? Located smack in the middle of Washington so Seattle & Spokane are the main markets. Cars sure seem to be $$$$ these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep forgetting that the 5 was available with a stick, but if "minivan" is an absolute no-go, then it's out (for the other poster). I had a Mazda5 as a rental once when my MS3 was being worked on, so it was kinda funny to drive the two polar opposites of the same platform from the same manufacturer. The 5's interior really doesn't feel that much bigger than the 3, especially because it's still so narrow. If you care *at all* about how it is to drive, the 3 is vastly better without all that weight hanging behind the rear axle. And at 2.5 years I'm assuming the kid is no longer in a reverse facing baby bucket, which was one of the few things I hated about the MS3 interior (baby bucket = passenger seat all the way forward).

Beyond that, three-row vehicles that aren't minivans in the US are almost exclusively large SUVs, which are almost always automatic-only.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I could maybe sell her on the Mazda 5. It is sort of a minivan, but also sort of not. I haven't driven one, but I actually like the concept personally and I don't think they look too dorky either.

I think she likes the volvo more, but the only one anywhere driveable in an afternoon has almost 200k miles on it. In the ad they say it has been sitting for a while, needs to be jumped, and has the transmission light on (but it totally drives fine, honest). It is offered for cheap enough that I could probably sink a couple/few grand into it, but If the motor ends up being bad also that would suck. I also have to wonder how hard parts are going to be to find if the manual transmission is that rare.

Always, thanks for the idea on the Mazda 5, and I will update the thread with our terrible decisions as the process unfolds.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I wouldn’t own a Volvo unless there was a good shop near me that knew them. The Mazda 5 would be a lot less of a pain in the balls. The stick is still really rare...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If this is a third car why do you need it to do a bunch of mutually exclusive things? Can’t you cover some of these needs with one of our other cars?