Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Inept posted:

You can only contribute to an IRA if you have declared earned income, better file your taxes kid

I have my children registered as passthrough entities. You know, because that's a natural part of parenthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

boar guy posted:

wasteful and obsolete, imho, but to each their own

I too wish for books to be gatekept by $200 electronic products that require a power supply, phone home about your activities, include DRM and enforce artificial limits to library copies that cause them to stop functioning after 10 uses

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snuffman posted:

Reminds me of when I worked at a bookstore, and we'd rip up the old mass market paperbacks and rip off the cover. Throw the torn up book in the recycling bin, send the cover back to the publisher. We might think the book is worthless, but we should also prevent anyone from reading it!

:smith:

:eng101: this is why mass market paperbacks have that line in the front of notifying the publisher if you got the book without a cover! :eng101:

Yeah, and the book store I worked for would toss the books into the compactor rather than recycle them. If you worked fast food you’ll find yourself dumping larges amount of food into the trash also.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I'm fine with the idea, if the ebook readers could be made as cheap as like, a single hardcover book, and there wasn't a bunch of absurd artificial scarcity enforced on libraries, and it didn't require you to log in to an account so it could store all your reading information in the ~cloud~, but this is the world we're stuck with :shrug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

I too wish for books to be gatekept by $200 electronic products that require a power supply, phone home about your activities, include DRM and enforce artificial limits to library copies that cause them to stop functioning after 10 uses

broseph a kindle fire is $35, free if you have a phone, and there are millions of free books available for the reading

but by all means lets keep printing $300 textbooks with a paragraph in chapter 8 changed and make students re-buy them every year

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

broseph a kindle fire is $35, free if you have a phone, and there are millions of free books available for the reading

but by all means lets keep printing $300 textbooks with a paragraph in chapter 8 changed and make students re-buy them every year

The conversation wasn't about textbook bloat, dingus

In fact, my initial complaint was actually about publishers forcing increasing expenses for worse products.

Also lol if you think that textbook won't still be $300 but now you can't even sell it back once

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

boar guy posted:

The free books are either the ones in the public domain already (so outdated by at least 70 years) or free*. You could go to a library to get free books but oh wait the library's ebooks can't be loaned out to more than one person at a time despite being digital, and they delete themselves after 10 to 15 uses now, so they can't afford as many.

*with prime subscription

boar guy posted:

The $300 cost of textbooks is not due to the materials :psyduck:

And like yeah textbooks are a great scam, that's one case that would benefit a lot from transferring to ebooks (at the very least reducing the waste produced even if the cost doesn't come down) but that's one relatively small niche.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

look all im saying is that it wouldnt bother me if no more physical books were ever printed because it just seems dumb when everyone already carries a device capable of parsing the information in them :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To be clear I own a kindle (one of the epaper ones) and I buy ebooks and like them and prefer them to physical books for a lot of things, but I'm a comfortable white dude with a steady income. The implementation of ebooks is really poo poo right now and unless that's fixed paper books will be superior in a lot (I'd even say most) situations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

boar guy posted:

look all im saying is that it wouldnt bother me if no more physical books were ever printed because it just seems dumb when everyone already carries a device capable of parsing the information in them :shrug:

Yea and that's a silly dumb thing to think

Paper books rule, while my Kindle paperwhite has been 80% decent and 20% headache

Kazak has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Aug 9, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if i were in college right now i would definitely bootleg every single textbook via .pdf. that scam needs to be over

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I was in college before digital textbooks were a thing, but I remember many times when I'd be in the library with two or more books open in front of me at the same time, or using one book but going back and forth from one chapter to another to reference a chart or appendix or something. An e-reader would be loving terrible for that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Wow its almost like two different versions of the same product have different appeal to them, and certain people with different tastes might prefer one over the other.

Holy loving poo poo, my mind is blown.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

All capitalism aside, investing a few grand for your kid at birth is probably one of the nicest things you can do for its future.

Quit living in this fantasy land

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I remember when this thread had pictures

good times

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

if i were in college right now i would definitely bootleg every single textbook via .pdf. that scam needs to be over

Then you'd soon learn that part of what you buy with a new textbook in almost any non-humanities course is a login to the online testing/homework site and you literally can't do anything in the course without it.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Outrail posted:

All capitalism aside, investing a few grand for your kid at birth is probably one of the nicest things you can do for its future.

Guillotining a few rich would also be super nice for them

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

madmatt112 posted:

good times

Be the change you wanna see bicth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Then you'd soon learn that part of what you buy with a new textbook in almost any non-humanities course is a login to the online testing/homework site and you literally can't do anything in the course without it.

Yeah this, the digital stuff is still a scam. 200 bucks for a PDF and all of the homework is turned in via a propriety online app. If you want to save money then you can spend 70 bucks to rent the book and have access to the app.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

madmatt112 posted:

good times

Be the change you want to see

Edit: beaten

https://www.ft.com/content/cda0499e-9ba1-11e8-9702-5946bae86e6d

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

• The time a soviet submarine commander and first officer both agreed to use a nuclear torpedo against what they thought was an American ship dropping real depth charges during the cuban missile crisis, and the only reason they didn't was because an admiral was onboard who refused and got them to surface.
  • The time NORAD forgot to disconnect the computer when running a nuclear attack test scenario and the simulation data was broadcast to the situation room and to several other bases who all responded by preparing to counterattack the massive russian invasion force
  • The time a scientific rocket launched towards Russia caused them to get out the nuclear briefcase for the only time in history and come right up to calling a counterattack, all of which happened after the cold war

There's so many

I saw the collected list at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and my jaw almost hit the floor.

Yeah, we're lucky. Very lucky.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
cross-posting from UKMT:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

A vise-like death grip on a few crumpled singles is a pretty accurate description of my financial circumstances right now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Does anyone still have that zenpencils comic with this edited into it, I can't find it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

For those complaining about DRM on digital books:

:filez:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

:filez:

Hush now yon freebooter! please tell me where to look

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More than half the time you can just google the title of the book + .epub and download it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don’t this will go over the way they think it will lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lol holy poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CEOs earn nothing, and steal everything.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Man, they were right, production at the guillotine factory is way up!

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

did they accidentally leave out "at building guillotines" before the ?

edit: ^^^ f,b

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

Get a real book like an adult.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

g0lbez posted:

Nobody answered whether that leaving shoes in front of poor kids thing was a joke so I looked it up and of course it's real. Of course

It's no wonder these threads are full of depressed sad sacks. If you can't even process simple criminality as having negative consequences, then how do you expect to understand the far more nuanced versions of altruism, and the positive experiences that entails?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah people are depressed because they fundamentally don't understand right and wrong not because the photo with the parrot banging its head into the fake jungle scene painted on the wall.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
that idiot bird should just bootstrap himself out of that situation if he doesn't like it!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's wrong to put birds in front of bird lovers. They can't resist the urge to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Split Pea Superman posted:

It's wrong to put birds in front of bird lovers. They can't resist the urge to take it.

Just like you have no empathy and can't help making bad posts.