Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

We used to have a great idiots of YT thread which covered JP's predecessors like Carl of Swindon and all of the <adjective>Sceptics. I think got closed because of bickering and because we can't have anything nice on this hellsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
:cheers:

E: I'm reading the truck thread. That's a nice thread :)

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Aug 9, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

*ahem* Pleeeeeeeease staaaay, foreeeeeeeeeeever this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside is there some place that's made some kind of coherent breakdown of what JP has said that wrong/incorrect, made by some sensible person? I've tried looking this up but it's extremely painful, since as soon as this topic comes up everyone seems to turn into a frothing maniac incapable of using fact, so the debate gets polarized as gently caress in a hurry. There's just so many "nazi" and "libtard" per minute I can take before my eyes glaze over.

Like his university classes on youtube seem correct and understandable enough? (Caveat: I know jack poo poo about these things lol) Anything that's been edited down for size seems to be a surefire injection of polarizing hurf durf hate bait, like idk if it's less than 20min and JO is in it, click to become angry.

E: lol that typo stays.

Asking what Jordan Peterson has said is complicated because he has a few different shticks. To put it succinctly he's the new Christopher Hitchens or Dawkins, but with more of the alt right concerns than just a generalised Islamophobia.

The stuff he lures in late high school/college aged men with is actually his area of expertise, which as far as I can tell is just a very literal understanding of Carl Jung's psychology. Jung claimed that the various tropes and archetypes in our collective myths and legends are reflective of structures in our unconscious minds, which are what determine our personalities, desires etc. It's not that this idea has no merit, just that it's not without flaws and it certainly isn't a complete description of human psychology. Peterson uses Jung's ideas (particularly his ideas of anima/animus, which are the supposedly distinct masculine and feminine parts of our unconscious minds) to dress up and give academic trappings to a very traditional "men are from Mars, women are from Venus" world view.

Outside of this he appeals to young men with very generic self-help type stuff like maintain basic standards of self-care, take responsibility for yourself and your own actions, etc. Nothing particularly toxic until he startst mixing in his libertarian/neoliberal stuff about how everyone can and should bootstraps themselves into success. He goes fully into super conservative territory in saying that most of the hierarchies that we see (racial/economic/etc) are based on merit and not any kind of systemic privilege. He basically argues that the status quo is natural and good and any attempts to address discrimination are actually just attacks on white men, who are the only victims of discrimination these days.

He is really the most batshit about this stuff around "natural" social hierarchies. He cherry picks scientific studies into social structures of other animals to justify his arguments about how men are natural leaders, women are natural nurterers, and basically that 1950s society was the most "natural" state of things. He is infamously obsessed with lobsters for this reason. Further to this he also claims that progressive ideologies around feminism, social justice, affirmative action etc are a result of society (and particularly universities) being taken over by radical leftists who are slaves to french poststructuralism (which he strawmans/badly mischaracterises). He calls them "cultural marxists" and then says that they are wrong and bad because Marx was a communist and communism doesn't work and leads to mass murder/genocide.

Beyond this he generally pushes most of the alt-right's current talking points around feminism, Islam, etc and engages in disingenuous debate techniques like saying that anyone who criticises him is a cultural marxist or radical leftist who doesn't believe in science and who's ideas have absolutely no scientific validity.

There are some good Peterson memes

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Aug 9, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who the hell is Jordan Petersson? The latest random internet figure people decided to shine a spotlight on?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T47opnLyFw

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Here's this lady doing a pretty good breakdown of Jordan Peterson. I really like her content overall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqZdkkBDas

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jordan peterson memes? i can get down with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PESYQ6TGwhQ

contrapoints may not be a meme, but she's worth linking w/r/t schlock lobster

EDIT: or you could look at the post above mine

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You know what, instead of my wall of text I think Jordan Peterson is best explained through memes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Most of the Jordy P words I've actually seen in the wild are his fans quoting his totally epic takedowns of SJWs and cultural marxists, and I never felt the need to examine his body of work before coming to the conclusion that he's a complete idiot dressed in intellectual trappings.

I mean people share this poo poo because they think it's good words:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

bike tory posted:

Good stuff

Thanks for the breakdown! Maybe the meme thread isn't the best place for serioustalk but you seem coherent and sensible, so if you have some pointers to some good further reading I'll happily accept them!

E: especially for some studies that contradict the "cherrypicked" ones, if you have any on hand? I don't have a ph d in psych but am certainly up for a reading challenge if it's for a worthy goal :)

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Aug 9, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'd like to say I'm surprised how rapey his whole philosophy turned out but this is the exact kind of guy that preaches to the -cel demographic, so it's just business as usual for him.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Thanks for the breakdown! Maybe the meme thread isn't the best place for serioustalk but you seem coherent and sensible, so if you have some pointers to some good further reading I'll happily accept them!

E: especially for some studies that contradict the "cherrypicked" ones, if you have any on hand? I don't have a ph d in psych but am certainly up for a reading challenge if it's for a worthy goal :)

Watch the video linked above, she goes into much more specific detail to expose his strawmans and point out the inconsistencies in his poo poo than I can conveniently do through text.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Will do!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is so lacist.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was gonna get one where he leturns, but decided against :D

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bullshit. That's clearly two keanu reeves.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
:eyepop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1027555347429556224

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:toot:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/gheedu/status/1027300927739445248

https://my.mixtape.moe/gsniph.mp4

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

in a just universe, contrapoints would be rich and famous and jordan peterson would be a hobo, like with a bindle over his shoulder and everything

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've got a buddy who's fallen head over heels for Jordan Peterson's work and like... loving Joseph Campbell unpacks Jungian archetypes better and without projecting Christian conservatism into it. Dude's a snake oil salesmen at best. I mean, I farded and shidded and camed in my pants.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1027595435467264000

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The only thing you should know about JBP is that his rise to fame came when he misinterpreted bill C-16 in Canada to mean he was being forced to say someones preferred pronoun when it actually was about adding gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

frogge posted:

loving Joseph Campbell unpacks Jungian archetypes better and without projecting Christian conservatism into it.

I started rereading Hero With a Thousand Faces recently and I got barely over ten pages in before he started complaining about millennials, which is impressive for a book written in the 50s.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:vince:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:yeshaha:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:discourse:

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Here's a journal dissecting the guy https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is real poo poo my dudes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wish I knew about wrestling

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Calaveron posted:

Much like EVE Online and Space Station 13, the stories are way more entertaining than trying to experience it yourself.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Brah there's a history lesson right on this page

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Calaveron posted:

Hellblazer187 posted:

there's a history lesson right on this page, ya jabroni!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:yeshaha: