Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Stupid keeper question incoming!!

12 team/0.5 PPR/1 keeper

My choices are Zeke (2nd) or Hopkins (2nd). I'll probably have a shot at one of Bell/DJ/Gurley given the state of our league. Zeke is the easy choice here right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yes.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I for one enjoy the Fantasy Footballers, mostly because my bar for football related humor is low and their terrible jokes make me laugh.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gorman Thomas posted:

Stupid keeper question incoming!!

12 team/0.5 PPR/1 keeper

My choices are Zeke (2nd) or Hopkins (2nd). I'll probably have a shot at one of Bell/DJ/Gurley given the state of our league. Zeke is the easy choice here right?

Jesus, the thought of Zeke and one if those three running backs is terrifying. Enjoy winning your league.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's an example of a valid nuance that he considers a crutch argument?

This is considered the best RB draft in a long time, and he thinks only one of the RBs are in his top 20 in terms of skill (6 from last season rank there).

But yeah, stuff like utilization is a big one.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

I for one enjoy the Fantasy Footballers, mostly because my bar for football related humor is low and their terrible jokes make me laugh.

Yeah, I don’t like their humor, and advice is sort of knee-jerk, but they put on a great show and genuinely convey a sense of fun to an industry that is becoming overrun with stats drones

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I don’t like their humor, and advice is sort of knee-jerk, but they put on a great show and genuinely convey a sense of fun to an industry that is becoming overrun with stats drones

Their nickname game is on point.

Kenny G and his sweet routes from last year was gold.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Around the NFL is the best football pod, but they do little to no fantasy content. I like 4for4 for fantasy taeks but it's more like a briefing than entertainment.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wait, if the Bengals made major upgrades to the offensive line....

...how we feeling about AJ Green?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any way for MFL to enforce that someone cannot go back on a taxi squad once promoted in a dynasty league? I'd like that to be the rule, but I also don't want to have to manually check every player that goes on a taxi squad to see if they have ever been promoted in the past. How do most leagues handle taxi squad rules?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

One league I'm in has decided to use IDP and team defense this year. The IDP is just an edge rusher. What the gently caress do I do?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

tadashi posted:

One league I'm in has decided to use IDP and team defense this year. The IDP is just an edge rusher. What the gently caress do I do?

Pull up some IDP rankings and use one of your last round picks on whoever is the highest ranked available player. :shrug:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Is there any way for MFL to enforce that someone cannot go back on a taxi squad once promoted in a dynasty league? I'd like that to be the rule, but I also don't want to have to manually check every player that goes on a taxi squad to see if they have ever been promoted in the past. How do most leagues handle taxi squad rules?

taxi squad setup.

Once promoted, a player can not be demoted back to the Taxi Squad for: X days

Enter a big number for X. Like two years.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

taxi squad setup.

Thank you, I could have sworn I checked this already. :doh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Around the NFL is the best football pod, but they do little to no fantasy content. I like 4for4 for fantasy taeks but it's more like a briefing than entertainment.

Marc's Fantasy Corner is the greatest fantasy segment in the world.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

taxi squad setup.

One more question about this. If I set it to "Only allow rookies on practice squad", does that mean that they immediately get booted from the practice squad once the following season starts, and they are no longer a rookie? Or does it mean you can only place someone on the squad if they are a rookie, and they can stay there for multiple years, until promoted?

Also, is there a way to put someone directly on the taxi squad, or do you need to add them to your active roster first, then place them on the taxi squad? Basically, do you need an open active roster spot to get a waiver/FA to the taxi squad?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

One more question about this. If I set it to "Only allow rookies on practice squad", does that mean that they immediately get booted from the practice squad once the following season starts, and they are no longer a rookie? Or does it mean you can only place someone on the squad if they are a rookie, and they can stay there for multiple years, until promoted?

Also, is there a way to put someone directly on the taxi squad, or do you need to add them to your active roster first, then place them on the taxi squad? Basically, do you need an open active roster spot to get a waiver/FA to the taxi squad?

They can stay forever but only a rookie can go down.

Yes, you need an open spot.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

Rookies only means rookies only. Not year 2 guys. You might have to manually boot them.

But you don't want only rookies on the taxi squad, you should open it up for 2nd year guys too (3rd year is even better imo).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks fellas!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

One more question. Regarding stealing/claiming people off other team's taxi squads. Most leagues let you put a claim in for a player on another owners taxi squad. That owner would then have 48 hours or so to decide whether to promote that player (making him forever taxi squad ineligible), or let him walk. If he walks, the claiming team gives a draft pick as compensation. I've seen the compensation as whatever round the claimed player was drafted in +1 round. So if you claim a 3rd round player, you would have to give a 2nd round pick as compensation.

My question is, how should it be implemented in a dynasty league that had an auction start up draft, but now has snake style rookie drafts? How can I put a draft pick value on a guy that was drafted via auction?

I guess the easiest answer is that all players from the startup auction are ineligible from taxi squads, and only rookies/sophomores/possibly 3rd year guys taken in rookie drafts are eligible.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 9, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

One more question. Regarding stealing/claiming people off other team's taxi squads. Most leagues let you put a claim in for a player on another owners taxi squad. That owner would then have 48 hours or so to decide whether to promote that player (making him forever taxi squad ineligible), or let him walk. If he walks, the claiming team gives a draft pick as compensation. I've seen the compensation as whatever round the claimed player was drafted in +1 round. So if you claim a 3rd round player, you would have to give a 2nd round pick as compensation.

My question is, how should it be implemented in a dynasty league that had an auction start up draft, but now has snake style rookie drafts? How can I put a draft pick value on a guy that was drafted via auction?

I mean, you can use auction $ threshholds, you could use old rookie ADP...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who runs the Goon 2015+ Dynasty league again? (I always forget)

I had a couple questions regarding your updated rules.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
lmao so I joined a 12 team keeper standard-scoring league. Brady, Rodgers, Evans, AJ Green, Beckham, and THIELEN are all being kept. I kept Zeke and these guys might be available to me at 6th: Barkley, Cook, Gordon, Fournette, Hunt, and McCoy. I am stunned.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

lmao so I joined a 12 team keeper standard-scoring league. Brady, Rodgers, Evans, AJ Green, Beckham, and THIELEN are all being kept. I kept Zeke and these guys might be available to me at 6th: Barkley, Cook, Gordon, Fournette, Hunt, and McCoy. I am stunned.

Beckham is ranked higher than Cook, Gordon, Fournette, Hunt and McCoy. AJ Green and Mike Evans aren't far behind. None of those are crazy decisions. Thielen I could even see making a case for, if you were high on him. But yeah, Brady or Rodgers is silly.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 9, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

Who runs the Goon 2015+ Dynasty league again? (I always forget)

I had a couple questions regarding your updated rules.

We call it the "I paid what for who?" league now, but yeah it's me, plus Spermy Smurf and Teemu Pokemon as the other commissioners. Zauper is a league member and he posts in this thread fairly regularly too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok cool, hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions...

1) It seems like you are using a hard cap. So with the free agent draft, what happens if one team has a bunch of cap space, while the remaining teams have very little. Couldn't they just grab all the good free agents at a huge discount, resulting in them being able to keep them all cheaply for years to come?

2) The consolation 1.13 pick. The 5th place winner would get the 8th overall, as well as the 13th overall? It's a cool idea, but that seems like a huge advantage.

3) Say there is a player on waivers and you want to add them to your taxi squad. Do you need to have an open roster spot, and the necessary cap space to roster them first, THEN move them to your taxi squad? Or can you bypass all that and just move them straight to the taxi squad?

Sorry if it comes off like I'm critiquing your rules, I'm not trying to. I really appreciate you laying the groundwork for all the rules and sharing them with me so I could use them to help me build my league. I just don't have anyone who's done a dynasty league to bounce things like these off of. :)

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

1) It seems like you are using a hard cap. So with the free agent draft, what happens if one team has a bunch of cap space, while the remaining teams have very little. Couldn't they just grab all the good free agents at a huge discount, resulting in them being able to keep them all cheaply for years to come?
Yes. If you plan better than other people, you can get advantages. Seems unlikely though for a host of reasons.

quote:

2) The consolation 1.13 pick. The 5th place winner would get the 8th overall, as well as the 13th overall? It's a cool idea, but that seems like a huge advantage.
It's not that big of an advantage. Winning the 5th place tournament is a bad thing in our old model -- I pushed for this change. Teams lost out on a shot at a top4 pick because they were crappy all year and had a good string at the end of the season, and wind up with the 8th overall pick? Not great. Because of the cap, having 1.13 cost like a first instead of a 2nd takes out some of the advantage. Otherwise, it's good but not like they're better off than the teams that are picking later (and won money) or earlier and getting better players.

quote:

3) Say there is a player on waivers and you want to add them to your taxi squad. Do you need to have an open roster spot, and the necessary cap space to roster them first, THEN move them to your taxi squad? Or can you bypass all that and just move them straight to the taxi squad?
Yes. You need space on the main roster to add them to your team so you can then add them to your TS. MFL doesn't have a way to add someone directly to your TS and any other method would be a huge pain in the rear end with temporary roster spots/etc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Barkley busts 40 on his first touch.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
https://twitter.com/AaronWatsonFF/status/1027714810270679040

Current Ronald Jones ADP: 5.02 (!!!)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nobody seems to remember Bishop Sankey.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hi Friends

https://twitter.com/PFF_Cowboys/status/1027720976971120640

The Cowboys are missing the fifth-most targets in the league, his ADP is #141, Dak just popped him in stride for a 30 yard TD, and he's #good.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Baker looks legit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

Zauper addressed all of these but I'll add some context.

1. There are some ways to clear cap space, such as by dropping players or making trades. But the fact that your cap prevents you from accumulating expensive players is a feature, not a bug. Owners have to manage their cap! Also, though, there only has to be one other owner with cap space and a desire for that player, for the auction price to rise by a lot.

2. We do not want owners eliminated from playoff contention to give up. Having a worthwhile goal that is worth going for in the playoffs even if you started the season 2-8 means it's more likely everyone stays engaged through the whole year, and that is important especially in dynasty where there may be owner turnover, where you want everyone bidding on free agents to ensure high salaries for the best players, where you want other owners willing and able to trade for now or for the future, etc.

That said, I agree with Zauper that 1.13 costing a much as 1.9 through 1.12 makes it a little less amazing. It's the 13th guy for the salary of the 9th guy.

3. MFL does not make it possible to accept a player straight to your taxi squad, whether by trade, auction, or draft. During the rookie draft we give all the teams an extra, temporary roster slot strictly for transitioning players to the taxi squad. We also use a soft cap; that is, owners aren't programmatically prevented from busting cap with a player add, so we just expect everyone to pay attention and the commissioners do too. But on top of *that*, rookie salaries have to be assigned manually due to our structure, so even if we had a hard cap, this system would still work; commissioner just assigns the rookie their new salary after owner moves them to taxi squad.

Basically, our league rules allow you to avoid busting cap with a taxi-eligible player (or for that matter an IR-eligible player, who only costs half salary against your cap) if you immediately move them to taxi/IR, but MFL does not really support that, so we have to fudge it.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Holy poo poo this is Packers new receiver Jake Kumerow. That was him with the Bengals, who he did absolutely nothing with, but now he's with the Packers so that doesn't matter anymore. He's just so goddamn pretty in that picture.

He caught a TD tonight but more than that, he has been impressing Aaron Rodgers.

quote:

The Packers drafted three receivers -- J'Mon Moore (fourth round), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (fifth round) and Equanimeous St. Brown (sixth) -- yet Rodgers has repeatedly praised Kumerow, a former practice-squad player. There has been a heavy focus on the young receivers, especially given the fact that the Packers cut veteran Jordy Nelson in the offseason.
"I was telling Jake the other day, I watched a play that he was in on, he ran a certain route, he was open on the route. I wasn't the quarterback, we came back three practices later, same call, same coverage, same player -- him -- running the route, and he wasn't expecting the ball," Rodgers said. "I said, 'Hey, I watched that rep three days ago. I saw this play and I reminded myself at the time, if we had that opportunity again, where to go with the football.' I said, 'When you're out there, I'm coming your way.' I have confidence in him. He's in the right spot all the time, he makes contested catches, finishes the right way. He practices like a pro.
"It's a reminder to those other guys, this is what it looks like. 17 [Davante Adams], that's what it looks like; 18 [Randall Cobb], that's what it looks like; 81 [Allison], that's what it looks like; 80 [Jimmy Graham], that's what it looks like; 84 [Lance Kendricks]; 89 [Marcedes Lewis]. Those guys are practicing like pros. That's how you stick around in this league. It's not some of the stuff we've been seeing through practice, and it's repeat mistakes."
Others have noticed as well.
https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1025457062665433088
https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/1025423688357826560

Of course Rodgers mentions Allison in there as a pro but it certainly appears that Kumerow has proven himself a cut above the rookies so far which is significant for a dude they picked up off the street. I'm not sold on Allison but I do know I am fading the gently caress out of Randall Cobb though, so I am very tempted by the players he might rely on next. And if you compare their draft profiles (Kumerow, Allison), they're pretty similar. Kumerow is slightly taller (6'5" vs. 6'4") and slightly faster (4.56 forty vs. 4.67, 6.90 3-cone vs 7.40). So Kumerow is behind Allison right now but Allison isn't a sure thing himself and Kumerow might be the better athlete. And when Cobb misses time, they'll both be on the field if Rodgers doesn't trust the youngsters. All of this has got me thinking that if I can't get Allison at a good price, I can get Kumerow at a dirt cheap one and might have a comparable lottery ticket in this offense.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Beer my draft is tomorrow and my sheet isn't available. Any chance you could help me out?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

Beer my draft is tomorrow and my sheet isn't available. Any chance you could help me out?

In case he is busy, I tweaked ints from -3 to --2 and found one
https://footballabsurdity.com/beersheet-files/?beer=14,0.5,1,2,2,1,1,0,0,0,6,6,6,0.04,0.1,0.1,-2,0,0,0

Maybe just bump qbs down a bit? Is this useful or crazy ?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 10, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

In case he is busy, I tweaked ints from -3 to --2 and found one
https://footballabsurdity.com/beersheet-files/?beer=14,0.5,1,2,2,1,1,0,0,0,6,6,6,0.04,0.1,0.1,-2,0,0,0

Maybe just bump qbs down a bit? Is this useful or crazy ?

That's what I've been using to mock and its useful. I've just been targeting Mahomes a lot and I'm scared -3 ints will kill me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RisqueBarber posted:

I am running an update tonight. Or just use the -2 Int since the difference is negligible over the range of players.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tiptoes posted:

Holy poo poo this is Packers new receiver Jake Kumerow. That was him with the Bengals, who he did absolutely nothing with, but now he's with the Packers so that doesn't matter anymore. He's just so goddamn pretty in that picture.

He caught a TD tonight but more than that, he has been impressing Aaron Rodgers.

Others have noticed as well.
https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1025457062665433088
https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/1025423688357826560

Of course Rodgers mentions Allison in there as a pro but it certainly appears that Kumerow has proven himself a cut above the rookies so far which is significant for a dude they picked up off the street. I'm not sold on Allison but I do know I am fading the gently caress out of Randall Cobb though, so I am very tempted by the players he might rely on next. And if you compare their draft profiles (Kumerow, Allison), they're pretty similar. Kumerow is slightly taller (6'5" vs. 6'4") and slightly faster (4.56 forty vs. 4.67, 6.90 3-cone vs 7.40). So Kumerow is behind Allison right now but Allison isn't a sure thing himself and Kumerow might be the better athlete. And when Cobb misses time, they'll both be on the field if Rodgers doesn't trust the youngsters. All of this has got me thinking that if I can't get Allison at a good price, I can get Kumerow at a dirt cheap one and might have a comparable lottery ticket in this offense.

Well that's certainly a glory play if he hits. I know of a billion dollar buy-in, 32 team, 53 roster slot league where he might not even be rosterable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ugh, my keepers suck this year. Any thoughts? PPR, 6pts passing QB/2WR/2RB/TE/WR-RB-TE flex

Andrew Luck for a 6th
Jimmy Graham for an 11th
DeeDee Westbrook for a 13th
Devontae Booker for a 13th

Comedy option: Rams for a 14th or Legatron for a 15th

I can keep one.

I'm leaning Luck?