Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

SMG in Alien 1 Parker and Brett have scenes where they talk about deserving better pay for doing extra work does this tie into the notion of the aliens in the sequel being a worker uprising?

Certainly, yeah. But it’s good to keep in mind that Alien and Aliens are actually extremely different films, despite the one being almost a beat-by-beat remake of the other.

Alien takes place on a moon, and the alien mainly just kills people in symbolic ways. It’s a slasher with an ‘evil spirit’ possession subtext. Aliens, on the other hand, takes place almost-entirely on a planet where the aliens capture & convert people. It’s a zombie movie.

This ends up being a big shift; Alien is ‘just’ about Kane having some kind of psychotic break. He’s not organizing the other workers or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Aliens arn't zombies!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tenzarin posted:

Aliens arn't zombies!

And yet both are illegal, otherwise there'd be no Colonial Marines.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leavemywife posted:

Has there been a comic or book where they tried wiping out the Xenos with a man-made plague or disease? Has there ever been a moment where they've been shown to become ill?

I can see that going horribly wrong. Instead of killing them, it makes them terrible mutants. Or something. Are there many instances of mutated/genetically modified Xenos?
As mentioned, 'Aliens: Labyrinth' is as close as we've gotten to seeing them "sick", and that was due to some sort of naturally occurring mold. We don't know where it came from, or if it's specifically related to/caused by the Aliens or if it's just some naturally-occurring mold that happened to be on that planet and the Aliens had a bad reaction to it. The main antagonist of the story makes it his life's work to rediscover/recreate the mold and weaponize it for use against Aliens.

There was a comic series called 'Aliens: Xenogenesis' (it's been re-titled in more recent reprints but I can't remember what it is) that has a sort of chemical weapon called "The Juice" that can be fired from a chemical sprayer weapon, and it's designed to break down Aliens at a molecular level. They get hit with this stuff and they just... melt, as if they suddenly lose their immunity to their own acid blood. It's not a communicable disease, though.

In the comic 'Aliens: Purge', leprosy was shown to bring Alien chestburster development to a stand-still - it was used as a plot point where lepers had infected themselves with chestbursters knowing that the baby Alien would never pop out, but it still let them move freely among an Alien hive.

As for mutated/genetically modified Aliens...

- the obvious ones are in 'Alien Resurrection', given the genetic crossover when Ripley got cloned. We don't know to what degree the Aliens in that movie were truly mutated - you could make a case that they're not mutated at all, they're just Aliens and they look different because Aliens look different all the time, and that the genetic mutations ended with the Queen.

- you could make a case for the ones in the first AvP movie being genetically modified - the novelization says that the Predators messed with the Queen's reproductive system so that the Aliens would gestate and mature faster, so the Predators wouldn't have to wait around for Aliens to be born.

- everyone's favorite video game Colonial Marines has the Boiler Alien, irradiated Aliens that have mutated and become blind. They shamble around and hunt by sound, and explode in a shower of acid when they find a threat.

- the novel/comic 'Aliens: Rogue' had the artificially-created King alien, which was a genetically modified Queen. The gist of the project was to make a controllable super-warrior that would have the intelligence, size, and strength of a Queen, but without the ties to the hive and an unwavering desire to lay eggs all day. The project didn't go great - the Rogue got set loose, went totally berserk and tore up a military base as it made a beeline for the nearby Alien hive, and then got its rear end kicked by the resident Queen.

- there was a short comic called 'Aliens: Reapers' that had these Ork-looking extraterrestrials hunting some Aliens, and the Aliens looked all fleshy and weird and stuff. It could be artistic license, but I figured I'd mention them because they're real weird looking.

- the comic series 'Aliens: Kidnapped' has this mutated chestburster that scurries around and anyone it gets close to just kind of.... melts, as if they'd been exposed to that chemical weapon from 'The Rock'. To call the story "weird" is an understatement - props to the creators for trying something different I guess, because a "conventional" Aliens story it ain't.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xenomrph posted:

There was a comic series called 'Aliens: Xenogenesis' (it's been re-titled in more recent reprints but I can't remember what it is) that has a sort of chemical weapon called "The Juice" that can be fired from a chemical sprayer weapon, and it's designed to break down Aliens at a molecular level. They get hit with this stuff and they just... melt, as if they suddenly lose their immunity to their own acid blood. It's not a communicable disease, though.

I can't believe that jerk Judge Doom wants to pave over Xeno Town to build a freeway.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

- there was a short comic called 'Aliens: Reapers' that had these Ork-looking extraterrestrials hunting some Aliens, and the Aliens looked all fleshy and weird and stuff. It could be artistic license, but I figured I'd mention them because they're real weird looking.

Alien drill dick :eyepop:

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ruddiger posted:

the motivation of why a line like that exists in a sci-fi film.

It was the 80s. You could say the words "human being" and "friend of the family" on prime time broadcast TV uncensored. You're right about why Hudson is the one saying that line, but I really doubt they considered it all that significant or controversial rather than just matter of course. No duh the obnoxious cocky marine would crack racial jokes amongst his friends, it's what that type of guy does.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

an alien videogame like "until dawn" could be a lot of fun. basically a choose-your-own-adventure through a spiralling plot, where your characters are all in certain peril.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really any alien game that isn't a first person shooter would be great, there's so much potential. Isolation was good, for about 2 hours. Wayyyy the gently caress too long for what it was and the moment you figure out how the AI works it's not so great. Looks fantastic though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Until Dawn Alien style would be fantastic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lizardman posted:

It was the 80s. You could say the words "human being" and "friend of the family" on prime time broadcast TV uncensored. You're right about why Hudson is the one saying that line, but I really doubt they considered it all that significant or controversial rather than just matter of course. No duh the obnoxious cocky marine would crack racial jokes amongst his friends, it's what that type of guy does.

honestly, I think the missing puzzle piece here is that Hudson really isn't supposed to be sympathetic. dude's a complete rear end in a top hat to everybody else until he becomes a coward. making him a racist just piles one more unsympathetic trait onto the list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think a good blueprint for an Alien game would be State of Decay. You have a group of randomly generated and extremely customizable survivors(or truckers or space marines or whatever), and you have a home base that you can also customize with upgrades and various perks, weapons etc.

Then you have various reasons to go out into the world and complete tasks that sometimes give you more weapons or additional survivors or resources, etc. But the xenos would be very deadly and especially dangerous in swarms. State of Decay makes individual zombies a threat because they can slow you down, they make it hard to sprint away at top speed. So even if you make individual xenos somewhat easy to take down, there would be mechanics in place to make sure openly fighting always has drawbacks(mostly in that it attracts more xenos).

Point is, half the appeal of the game would be the base management and roleplaying elements. You're never going to make shooter gameplay against xenos totally satisfying and true to the movies so there has to be more to the game then just shooting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baronjutter posted:

Really any alien game that isn't a first person shooter would be great, there's so much potential. Isolation was good, for about 2 hours. Wayyyy the gently caress too long for what it was and the moment you figure out how the AI works it's not so great. Looks fantastic though.

What would you want? I don't mind the FP shooters but they don't pace them well enough. If you could think of a game to model an Alien(s) game after, what would it be? Style wise, first thing I think of is Resident Evil 7 or maybe The Evil Within 2 since they walked a balance between stealth, running scared and actual armed combat.

I think a REAL first person survival horror take would be aces. Like, make it so you have to sneak around and find codes and keys and poo poo to unlock armories and build poo poo but there's not TOO MUCH firepower anywhere so you're always conservation minded related to ammo. Have it to where the more you explore, the more poo poo you get, maps you find and secrets you uncover but make exploration really, REALLY dangerous and risky.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, I think the missing puzzle piece here is that Hudson really isn't supposed to be sympathetic. dude's a complete rear end in a top hat to everybody else until he becomes a coward. making him a racist just piles one more unsympathetic trait onto the list.

I think you guys are reading too much into this stuff. Marines and military types are always breaking balls and loving with each other. Well, at least in the movies they are. I never served so maybe I'm full of poo poo but this has been my understanding.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 9, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you want? I don't mind the FP shooters but they don't pace them well enough. If you could think of a game to model an Alien(s) game after, what would it be? Style wise, first thing I think of is Resident Evil 7 or maybe The Evil Within 2 since they walked a balance between stealth, running scared and actual armed combat.

I think a REAL first person survival horror take would be aces. Like, make it so you have to sneak around and find codes and keys and poo poo to unlock armories and build poo poo but there's not TOO MUCH firepower anywhere so you're always conservation minded related to ammo. Have it to where the more you explore, the more poo poo you get, maps you find and secrets you uncover but make exploration really, REALLY dangerous and risky.

I think you guys are reading too much into this stuff. Marines and military types are always breaking balls and loving with each other. Well, at least in the movies they are. I never served so maybe I'm full of poo poo but this has been my understanding.

I'd love a turn based x-com style aliens game. You could be a squad of marines trying to accomplish objectives as part of a branching campaign, or more of a Nostromo style crew trying to survive. How many crew can you save?
Hell a point and click adventure game would be fun too, or like those "Telltale" games. Just anything that isn't reflex based because I get too spooked and stressed.

I'd watch a youtube of someone playing a really good first person survival game that was like a mix between the best survival/sneaking parts of isolation with the best combat parts of AvP. Or hell give me an open world S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game where some awful post-apocalyptic planet full of criminals and scavengers gets a mild alien infestation. You could play a corporate hired investigator sent in to infiltrate the local gangs/scavengers, confirm what's going on, and get a stample if it's something good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a turn based x-com style aliens game. You could be a squad of marines trying to accomplish objectives as part of a branching campaign, or more of a Nostromo style crew trying to survive. How many crew can you save?
Hell a point and click adventure game would be fun too, or like those "Telltale" games. Just anything that isn't reflex based because I get too spooked and stressed.

I'd watch a youtube of someone playing a really good first person survival game that was like a mix between the best survival/sneaking parts of isolation with the best combat parts of AvP. Or hell give me an open world S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game where some awful post-apocalyptic planet full of criminals and scavengers gets a mild alien infestation. You could play a corporate hired investigator sent in to infiltrate the local gangs/scavengers, confirm what's going on, and get a stample if it's something good.
Be careful what you wish for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Nf_Ar9imM

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Guy A. Person posted:

What about your weight in ants, to make it more fair?

I would easily defeat them

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

You don’t think the joke about ‘illegal aliens’ is relevant in the movie called Aliens?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I like the confidence and now I believe I you

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Guy A. Person posted:

I like the confidence and now I believe I you

I want to see this brave poster take on a swarm of bullet ants, named for the pain of their bite being comparable to being shot. I have faith in our fearless champion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You don’t think the joke about ‘illegal aliens’ is relevant in the movie called Aliens?

all aliens are illegal now. Trump Space Force authority is supreme

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The funny thing is the "Arcturian" line from Aliens is actually just James Cameron not giving a poo poo that it doesn't make any sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

IMB posted:

The funny thing is the "Arcturian" line from Aliens is actually just James Cameron not giving a poo poo that it doesn't make any sense.

Hudson hosed an alien in a space brothel. What about that doesn’t make sense?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was once the laughingstock of the IMDB board for Aliens for suggesting that the Arcturians were an alien species. Yeah, the IMDB board patrons were notorious idiots and all, but lots and lots and lots of people simply don't buy that humanity has met any other intelligent extraterrestrial life in the Alien universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lizardman posted:

I was once the laughingstock of the IMDB board for Aliens for suggesting that the Arcturians were an alien species. Yeah, the IMDB board patrons were notorious idiots and all, but lots and lots and lots of people simply don't buy that humanity has met any other intelligent extraterrestrial life in the Alien universe.

It’s clear even in the first movie that humanity has met extraterrestrial life in some capacity. As for if it’s intelligent life, you could make a case either way. Like, I doubt the Alien universe is home to a galactic federation with trade agreements and diplomatic borders. About the furthest the EU tends to take it is that humanity knows of long-dead intelligent civilizations, and maybe some sentient/semi-sentient primitive species, and there are some intelligent races out there that humanity has never encountered.

Predators are a bit of a wild-card in that the EU takes the approach that humans know they exist, but world governments try to keep them a secret, X-files style, while trying to capture and learn from their tech but keep it low-key enough that the Predators don’t catch on and curb-stomp us. The policy tends to be that letting the Predators occasionally hunt some unlucky bastards is preferable to rallying humanity into an open interplanetary war that we’d probably lose.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

lizardman posted:

The marines’ primary shuttle is nicknamed the Bug Stomper, and their motto is “We Endanger Species”.

The idiots at IMDB aren’t completely wrong, though. It would be very easy to show the marines doing a traditional ‘bug hunt’ as a contrast to when the mission goes wrong later. That kind of scene is deliberately omitted because it would distract from the point that the xenomorphs are the colonists, and their transformation into monsters is metaphorical.

Again, the bug-hunting marines don’t even wear gloves after being briefed that the xenomorphs are extremely toxic. Nothing about the conflict makes ‘tactical’ sense. As with The Terminator, Aliens is about the ravings of a traumatized veteran. It’s a fantasy movie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 12, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

Honestly I feel like yeah, 200 pounds of ants is a shitload of ants, but unless we're in an extremely confined space, what are they gonna do? They're gonna spread out like ants always do, and just run all over the place. You can then step on them at your leisure.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Honestly I feel like yeah, 200 pounds of ants is a shitload of ants, but unless we're in an extremely confined space, what are they gonna do? They're gonna spread out like ants always do, and just run all over the place. You can then step on them at your leisure.

They're going to crawl on you and try to bite you. Didn't you mess with ants as a kid?

This strategy ranges from laughable to a traumatizing nightmare depending on the species selected.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

They're going to crawl on you and try to bite you. Didn't you mess with ants as a kid?

This strategy ranges from laughable to a traumatizing nightmare depending on the species selected.

I feel like there needs to be some sort of "Jackass" style "Mythbusters" attempt at this. Though I also feel like it would be rather difficult to get that many ants. http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Dorylus This article about Army Ants of Africa says that one colony weighs up to 15 kg, so you'd need several colonies of this kind of ant to get a person's mass.

"regular" ants would probably be easy to get a bunch of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm honestly surprised no one threw out the ONE MILLION ANTS guy from Rick n Morty yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Random question: If the xenomorph's blood is an acid, does that make them invulnerable to other types of acid?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
How do they see without eyes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

How do they see without eyes

According to this they do have eyes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s just the hosts skull merged into the design like a sick tribute.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The xeno has always had eyes(well, eye sockets), it's always been a subtle aspect of the design that is only visible from certain angles. Not a shot from one of the actual movies but it gives you a good view of what I'm talking about :

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 21, 2018

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

those are empty sockets, fake news!

I do like that their brains are just a nest of dvds

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

I do like that their brains are just a nest of dvds

Yeah, a good villain has facets that you can identify with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

The xeno has always had eyes(well, eye sockets), it's always been a subtle aspect of the design that is only visible from certain angles. Not a shot from one of the actual movies but it gives you a good view of what I'm talking about :

Not always but it’s been there in Scott’s films at least. They ditched the sockets after Alien and they haven’t shown up in another film until...uh...AvP-R with the Predalien. Scott used that design in Covenant. The eyes are up in there if you look closely.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

The eyes are up in there if you look closely.

No way that's penis-mouth range, I'll have to take your word for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

Not always but it’s been there in Scott’s films at least. They ditched the sockets after Alien and they haven’t shown up in another film until...uh...AvP-R with the Predalien. Scott used that design in Covenant. The eyes are up in there if you look closely.

You mean the sockets right? They never have eyes outside of the Newborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Blood Boils posted:

No way that's penis-mouth range, I'll have to take your word for it.

Nonsense, this subject is perfectly tam- asxczdfhhm