Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Today in what the hell is this- is the lovely photo quality hiding more sins than it's creating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Blair Witch Kitchen Project.

Blair Witchen?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I assume the intent was to make it look like everything is either some kind of stone, or curly maple, but to me it looks more like everything's made out of raw OSB (oriented strand board, more or less cheap plywood).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume the intent was to make it look like everything is either some kind of stone, or curly maple, but to me it looks more like everything's made out of raw OSB (oriented strand board, more or less cheap plywood).

I’m more interested in the asymmetrical hole cut in the cupboard doors to fit the oven.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, it looks like everything is made of chip board.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m more interested in the asymmetrical hole cut in the cupboard doors to fit the oven.

I think the door on the right is just open a bit. The obvious scorch mark on the left door though...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

I think the door on the right is just open a bit. The obvious scorch mark on the left door though...

How does this bit work then?

Edit: or is it the terrible photo quality and it's actually a smaller door and some weird strip next to the oven?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Re multiple kitchens:

My grand parents house had two kitchens.

The other relatives had the same thing. It might be an Italian thing because they were all from there.

kid sinister posted:

Was one on the main floor, one in the basement? That's called a "mother in law suite".

There was no such concept as an in law suite until very recently. Kitchens in basements of Italian families (like mine) were SUPER common growing up - it was the canning kitchen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When your circular saw cuts don't go so good the first time and you gotta make a second attempt

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ignoranus posted:

When you start talking about kitchen cleaning, the thing that always jumps to mind for me instead is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A
I would not for a second be surprised to see that on sale at wal-mart.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Motronic posted:

There was no such concept as an in law suite until very recently. Kitchens in basements of Italian families (like mine) were SUPER common growing up - it was the canning kitchen.

My sister's in laws have this too (Italian)... they said one was the show kitchen and the other the practical one. It made sense because they also used the basement a ton for entertainment like watching movies and such.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

xwing posted:

My sister's in laws have this too (Italian)... they said one was the show kitchen and the other the practical one. It made sense because they also used the basement a ton for entertainment like watching movies and such.

Yeah, totally. At my grandparent's house, the basement was where its at. Big family dinners and whatnot, canning, baking, tv watching. They are the only people I know that had a vcr with non-cordless remote control. And they didn't even get a VCR till the late 80s.

They also had a "kitchen" out in the garage. Small sink, stove, fridge counters. They used that in the summer when there were even bigger family gatherings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

Yep - the canning kitchen isn't just for canning. It's to make food for the weekly gathering of a ridiculous amount of relatives, even more ridiculous amounts on holidays, etc. My relatives usually used the upstairs kitchen for themselves, but the downstairs was in heavy use for gatherings, especially back in the days where there was no AC and using the kitchen upstairs + a ton of people would make the house way too drat hot.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ignoranus posted:

When you start talking about kitchen cleaning, the thing that always jumps to mind for me instead is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A

Yawgmoth posted:

I would not for a second be surprised to see that on sale at wal-mart.

"Cleaning" guns are actually a thing though. Granted, they're massive 8 gauge shotguns designed to clean out kilns and silos and the like.

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm involved with some fairly clean physics experiments and we use a lot of guns for cleaning. The ion gun was ok, but the dry ice gun is pretty dope, although really they're just fancy compressed air blowers with fun names. Although actually I wouldn't want to get shot with the dry ice gun come to think of it.

That said if you're taking an ion gun through a TSA checkpoint in your carry on luggage, you should really let them know before it goes through the x-ray machine, it apparently triggers a lot of red flags.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Got a steam cleaner on Amazon and it's a magic clean-everything wand

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
When you notice it...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

"Cleaning" guns are actually a thing though. Granted, they're massive 8 gauge shotguns designed to clean out kilns and silos and the like.

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html

Why are you posting images from the TV show Gladiators

Is that wire.. holding a pressure release valve shut?

kid sinister posted:

When you notice it...

Took a while.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

kid sinister posted:

When you notice it...

the flatline?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is that wire.. holding a pressure release valve shut?

Yup! Also known as a bomb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Yup! Also known as a bomb.

Depending on how it fails it could be a rocket instead, as the Mythbusters demonstrated with their hot water heaters.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

When you notice it...

My guess is ambulance took up too much room.

But yeah, still kinda funny.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

They couldn't spell coroner

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm involved with some fairly clean physics experiments and we use a lot of guns for cleaning. The ion gun was ok, but the dry ice gun is pretty dope, although really they're just fancy compressed air blowers with fun names.
Do you have one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzdHy_DN91U&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67uBP-8EI4M&t=16s

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 9, 2018

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Depending on how it fails it could be a rocket instead, as the Mythbusters demonstrated with their hot water heaters.

Did you notice the screw handle and swing lid? That's an autoclave, basically a larger pressure cooker to sterilize lab equipment. So yeah, scientists did this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Did you notice the screw handle and swing lid? That's an autoclave, basically a larger pressure cooker to sterilize lab equipment. So yeah, scientists did this.

That just means they were doing it for science.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm involved with some fairly clean physics experiments and we use a lot of guns for cleaning. The ion gun was ok, but the dry ice gun is pretty dope, although really they're just fancy compressed air blowers with fun names. Although actually I wouldn't want to get shot with the dry ice gun come to think of it.

That said if you're taking an ion gun through a TSA checkpoint in your carry on luggage, you should really let them know before it goes through the x-ray machine, it apparently triggers a lot of red flags.

There was a thing that went around a few years back about scientists using "explain it to the TSA" as a model for explaining their work to laymen because how often they travel with odd stuff from their work.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This gets better the longer it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZUFu97vus

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

there wolf posted:

There was a thing that went around a few years back about scientists using "explain it to the TSA" as a model for explaining their work to laymen because how often they travel with odd stuff from their work.

i have to do this with all employees that travel, TSA is incredibly easy to spook over nothing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

You mean lab assistants. Autoclaves are also have industrial uses, hospitals, etc.

And given the pressure line is held on with a hose clamp, there is another pressure relief system there besides the release valve, probably, unless the main valve is closed while pressure inside the vessel is still rising (such as by heat or checmical reaction) but in that case I think the blow-off/relief valve there is also not involved. Which is why the pressure chamber itself ought to be designed with its own emergency relief mechanism, I would say.

Regardless, it's someone wiring closed the relief probably because it keeps opening, and falls into that large class of cases of people intentionally defeating safety systems because they keep engaging and they have not cared to find out why or resolve the real issue.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have two kitchens. When they built the house the wife ended up not happy with the main floor one, so they moved all the stuff (cabinets, stove, dw, micro,etc) to the basement and redid the main one. A year after the first was put in, lol. It's quite handy to have a full kitchen next to your gaming/tv room. Especially handy during holidays cooking and whatnot.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So what do you reckon the difference is between the ground at that light switch and the ground on the garage doors what with all that wire?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

So what do you reckon the difference is between the ground at that light switch and the ground on the garage doors what with all that wire?

Probably like 9 ft

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

How does this bit work then?

Edit: or is it the terrible photo quality and it's actually a smaller door and some weird strip next to the oven?

The photo was taken with flash and a long shutter speed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Is that the fancy way of saying "swinging the phone around so it doesn't have time to focus?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

Is that the fancy way of saying "swinging the phone around so it doesn't have time to focus?"

They flash lasts few millionths of a second. It creates one image.

The operator then swings the camera around wildly and ambient light creates a second, smeared image on top.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

there wolf posted:

My method was "I don't have room in my carry-on, you take it".

Also no laser gun, but a lot of what we're cleaning is poo poo like Teflon, dunno how a high powered laser would work with that. Probably too melty.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

That was shot without flash, and the camera auto-compensated to its lowest shutter speed & aperature. It is difficult (but not impossible) to get a clear image when shooting free-hand at speeds below 1/30 sec.

If there had been a flash, the image would have burned-in even below 1/30 because of the speed of the flash, unless the shooter intentionally whipped the camera around while triggering the shutter.

You'd also see flash flare in the glass of the oven door.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have a point about glare on the oven but look at the double image from the door frame in the left foreground and the trip to the right of the oven:

Now I’m thinking it’s strobing room lights at work, e.g. a fluorescent lamp with a magnetic ballast.