Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

(with apologies to Barry White)

Star Citizen: Can't get enough of your FUD, babe

e: taxxe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Beexoffel posted:

Looking up 'unconscionable' on Wikipedia, I came across 'illusory promise': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_promise
The example, "I will give you ten dollars if I feel like it", sounds a lot like "I will give you a game if I feel like it".
Would 'illusory promise' maybe apply to SC?

Thanks--the Zappos case cited is somewhat relevant--http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1152&context=historical
Basically, Zappos had a breach and they used their site's ToS to force victims into arbitration. The courts disagreed for a couple reasons:
Terms changed without user acknowledgment--not applicable to RSI since they make you acknowledge your acceptance.
Unilateral right to change the ToS. Basically, Zappos said in their ToS that they could change the terms at any time. As a consequence, binding arbitration was only binding upon users since Zappos could write themselves out of it and the judge decided the arbitration clause could be thrown out as it was an illusory promise. I skimmed through the current ToS and didn't see a similar "we can change the agreement whenever" statement.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lord Stimperor posted:

What is that supposed to mean? Are they creating tiny voxels that are supposed to represent small units of volume? Are they trying to physically simulate how the water droplets are squishing around?

Yep. And the server will be sending the state of every drop of water in the hot tub to every client every frame. Then they'll fix the fact that spawning a hot tub ship crashes the server and everyone on it by not allowing anyone to spawn a hot tub ship

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Wise Learned Man posted:

Star Citizen: Can't get enough of your FUD, babe

e: taxxe:

This is a good title

The "A tycoon can drop his ATM card & destroy the galaxy" one was even better, poo poo mods. Please can I have a crobbear sixer thanks :wink:

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

The Saddest Robot posted:

Is the water in the hot tub affected by g-forces and inertia? Do I have to worry about my hot tub emptying itself when I do some combat maneuvers? Will the shift in mass due to the water splashing around the hot tub room affect my flight performance?

Pay attention, they answered it all during the KS campaign!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

So, uhhh

Someone else may now own over 11% of CIG UK? :eyepop: :popeye:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheSickeningTruth posted:

Pay attention, they answered it all during the KS campaign!

This last sentence "dump cargo" is already a red-flag, and some of you backed it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What will the penalties be for piloting in swimwear?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

boviscopophobic posted:

So, uhhh

or they are going to sell it

edit under a nda at a special meeting of high tier whales at a meeting with CR.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Every sentence quoted there can be a red flag.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

boviscopophobic posted:

I hope they're good at bind culling.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

intardnation posted:

or they are going to sell it

edit under a nda at a special meeting of high tier whales at a meeting with CR.

Let's see if our bot will check if miku will tweet about his transatlantic flight.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 9, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
https://twitter.com/squadron_42/status/1027657941145608193

Here's another top-notch bullshit post from CIG whose sole purpose is to mislead the public about the state of the project through implication.

"Our very own Captain MacLaren!"

Wait a second there, Fraud Bear. You don't get to claim an actress who was paid millions of dollars that you stole to get motion capture done that has not yet been placed in a game you have not yet made "our very own." You have nothing of your "very own." You have made nothing and done nothing. Absolutely none of her talent nor accomplishments have rubbed off on you, or been tied to you, in any way whatsoever.

Your "success by association" poo poo is getting pretty loving old now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1027153242315259905
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1026219963567226881
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1027169536502636544
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1027337416170975233
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1027469510410940416

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
caught up with the thread!

star citizen still bad

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

Little guy feels much less insulting on a page with ben sex parties being discussed.

I mean, now there's an iceberg to sink the titanic!

:barf:

If he's the ice berg, consider me scuttling long before I get touched or even a smell of the aroma there. Sorry, not even going to think that!

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

The Titanic posted:

:barf:

If he's the ice berg, consider me scuttling long before I get touched or even a smell of the aroma there. Sorry, not even going to think that!

Are you Kerry Lee?

Also this will never get old:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Yep, it goes both ways. I guess the whole "Star Citizen is CR's baby" thing gets to him and he doesn't want to let go of the reigns to the ship. (Which in any healthy development team, the lead definitely should : its the hardest part, but the most required) and let the team execute his vision, with him basically just reviewing work and saying YES / NO to things and actually having a good constructive feedback loop with the rest of the team via the leads.

With 7 years already clocked in and absolutely nothing playable, shows that CR has been micromanaging the poo poo out of CIG and no productive work has been done. I find it very hard how the shows continue to put CR and Sandi in the spotlight as though they're the gods of Star Citizen. The only ones doing the work, and CR's style of explaining and dreaming definitely has collateral effect on the team. With everyone copying his style of explanation and speech on camera.

He needs actual experts in those places instead of him spouting bullshit 90% of the time regarding the state of the game.

One thing I kind of understand is that he did have experts, and they probably told him then all the things we talk about today. It's not like they were drinking the kool aid.

They were sitting there, looking at a new start up, looking at CRs plans to be "all the games except better" with the additional requirements of "is an mmo" and "is a twitch based shooter" and an extra dollop of "a ship is an instance and you can shoot out of your ship with a gun and shoot through a space instance and hit people in another instance inside another space ship with a door open next to you" and "oh capital ships can have crews of hundreds of PCs"...

And it doesn't take a loving genius to know exactly what they told him:

It can't be done. Please reduce your scope.

Instead of take this knowledge to heart to try to make a game, he said he wanted the money people were willing to throw at this thing, and ultimately these guys left. They simply couldn't do their job because the task is impossibly insurmountable.

Chris Roberts' sheer logic of "because nobody ever tried it before and they aren't as smart as I am" isn't going to make this impossible product suddenly appear because he knows network magic the likes of which the whole world has never seen before.

He is very knowingly diving into this thing head first and fully aware that it can't be done, but hell and hit water won't stop him from lying to pablum it so he can get more money and kick the can down the road further.

The devs are either too inexperienced to realize it can't be done and are just pulling the next ticket to bang their heads against, or they know the score and are just cashing a pay check while being frustrated on a daily basis. At some point they'll find a better place to work that will pay them more than CIG does and move on without much consideration.

The big guys who need to be asking themselves "how am I supposed to make an mmo out of this?" Are gone, and CR dorms have the cognitive abilities to be useful and not scare off the people who can be useful, so you've got developers going "yep, I just coded in your mining laser." And "yep, just got your new ship installed", they couldn't care any less that what they're doing isn't building an mmo, they're just doing what's in the tickets to work on what they have, which is this gorilla of an arena shooter thing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
what a loving piece of poo poo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
there's already been several people that worked for high profile places that left their jobs, worked at CIG, then went back to their old loving jobs

at least 3 blizzard dudes that I know of personally lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Remember when Diablo III had a real money AH and Blizzard had to shut it down in order to salvage the game which turned out to be the worst of the series in no small part because that thing had existed?

I definitely remember that poo poo.

I also remember "gently caress that loser" and Blizzard finally taking control of Diablo away from a petulant moron.

Sad nobody can do that with Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dogeh posted:

So a warning to all you would-be immensed brained mathematicians.
As you progress in the field of sums, your dick will progressively shrink in size.

I can confirm this. My dick is very tiny that it has retracted inwards. But this is only because I am very smart and full of advanced mathematics for smart people who know calculus with geniuses. Otherwise I'd be hung like a horse. :drat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

What's the gameplay mechanic this brings to the table?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

what a loving piece of poo poo

Yup

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I also remember "gently caress that loser" and Blizzard finally taking control of Diablo away from a petulant moron.
Which loser was it?

Diablo 3's development is probably Star Citizen level hosed up. It did take as long and involved hosed up RMT! Then again, the one D2X patch was done by like one or two guys over a summer because no one else was still willing to work on that shitpile of code.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Well that is sad as gently caress.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Foo Diddley posted:

Just like the whiskey in Miles' glass that got refactored after we made fun of it, and now it's an actual real liquid instead of just a fake video game one

.. What, when was this? Holy poo poo that's amazing

And of course simulating fluids in a spaceship hottub is going to be trivial! We have Navier Stokes so all you gotta do is plug n play! :shepspends:

... Jesus christ

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spiderdrake posted:

Which loser was it?

Diablo 3's development is probably Star Citizen level hosed up. It did take as long and involved hosed up RMT! Then again, the one D2X patch was done by like one or two guys over a summer because no one else was still willing to work on that shitpile of code.

One of the devs of the original diablo.

Some website interviewed him, and they egged him on like "hey d3 sucks ehhhh?" And he just responded fairly, like "well, its not how we did things but they're trying some cool new things, I preferred what we did on this one thing but..." yadda yadda.

Then on facebook the blizzard guy who was lead on d3 responded to someone posting that article by saying "gently caress that loser"

It was a public post and people saw it and screencapped it, and eventually between that and d3 being a disaster, blizz finally decided to move him off the d3 team. (But not fired, some people get all the breaks)

Then the new people in charge of d3 killed the RMAH, massively retuned loot drops to be fun, added adventure mode so you could play like d2 and not do the dumb story over and over, and released the RoS expansion at the same time. I was real down on Blizzard at the time but they sure righted the ship eventually.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

This guy seems way too intelligent, skilled and motivated to be taken in by this scam.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zaphod42 posted:

One of the devs of the original diablo.
jay wilson. https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Jay-Wilson-Tells-Diablo-2-Designer-Fans-F-ck-Off-45895.html

he is now out of the industry apparently. https://www.pcgamer.com/jay-wilson-former-diablo-3-game-director-is-leaving-blizzard/

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

This guy seems way too intelligent, skilled and motivated to be taken in by this scam.

He's right about the Astrobiology stuff though. Credit where credit is due, I say

However he's still no Kazan

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
You all are missing the biggest opportunity with the hot tub. Think about it. Female character models coming in. The news van. Girls Gone Wild.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Arbitrary Coin posted:

.. What, when was this? Holy poo poo that's amazing

And of course simulating fluids in a spaceship hottub is going to be trivial! We have Navier Stokes so all you gotta do is plug n play! :shepspends:

... Jesus christ

I have no idea how long ago it was, but someone in the thread mocked the most fidelitious space sim ever because the whiskey in Miles' glass was just static. Right afterward, CIG showed off their new amazing liquid technology where the whiskey sloshes around in the glass (it looked more like jello than whiskey), and went off about how it was a ~real liquid~ and so on

Then later, someone posted this:

I can't find the original, higher resolution version, but if you look real close you can see that the whiskey's still in the glass and not really a ~real liquid~ at all

I agree, tho, that hot tubs should be trivial for a studio like this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Titanic posted:

What's the gameplay mechanic this brings to the table?

It acts like a bonfire in regard to the Dark Souls-inspired game mechanics, plus you can rearrange your main and side deck of cards there. Also the place where you upgrade/change the skill tree, plus removes debuffs from beeing stinky.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Titanic posted:

The devs are either too inexperienced to realize it can't be done

"this could be more baller"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfUUuwX2VU&t=386s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The 'loser' was David Brevik, but yeah the one who said it was Jay Wilson, nice link.

And aaaaah that's great to hear that they canned him finally, and he didn't even try to get another game dev job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Getting snapped up by RSI in 3, 2, 1 . . .