Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Boo to both of those. Put in Plok instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Boo to the lame smash chat, nobody cares who you want in. The game already has a fuckton of characters, including k rool abd god drat Castlevania boys

Get over it dudes

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Thank you Bamco for officially making Frozen and Zootopia anime

And Moana.

Inzombiac posted:

All joking aside, I think DBZ characters in Smash or a Smash clone would be great.

Sumo rules make way more sense than stamina bars. 90% of DBZ fights are knocking the other guy around (because it's easier to animate).

For as dope as DBfighterZ is, I prefer the feel of Xenoverse fights.
Then again I am not a fighting game fan. The nuance and technical aspects just fly over my head.

I unironically hope they add Majin Buu as an echo fighter of Kirby.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If Nintendo doesn't include Guest 4129 from the ORIGINAL Rollercoaster Tycoon as a playable character then I won't be buying Smash Bros

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
All these people wanting Goku really just want another Jump Ultimate Stars style game. It plays like Smash, has a ton of characters that are just now appearing in the West, and J Star Victory Vs was pretty garbage compared to how good and simple the 2D game was on the DS.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

KingSlime posted:

Boo to the lame smash chat, nobody cares who you want in. The game already has a fuckton of characters, including k rool abd god drat Castlevania boys

Get over it dudes

drat!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

I'm playing Dead Cells on switch now and I might have to forfeit my nerd cred...

I like it better than Hollow Knight.

Hollow knight is a baby game.
Dead cells for bed wetting child.
La mulana 2 for wizened adult tastes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Real hurthling! posted:

more like Nah, Poolana. As in it is poo and I am turning down the offer to hold it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wonder Red

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

fine

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

new smash bros has over 800 songs but the eshop can't even get one :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iconoclasts:

FPzero posted:

Story stuff (up to and including the game's ending): I started falling off the story towards the end because it felt like the game was leading to an ending about 4 or 5 times but instead kept going. First it was going to One Concern to do things, then it was going to City One to talk to Mother, then it was finding Chrome to stop him, then it was going home because the world was ending, then it was launching a rocketship to the moon to go talk to and fight Him, then suddenly it wasn't and you instead fight Him back on the planet... by the end I was just ready for the game to be over. And yet, I feel like it was over too soon at the same time. Plot points at the very end felt like they were flying past, as if they were trying to rush through what remaining story they had before the game was over. I also couldn't figure out if I was capable of saving Royal at the end or not. It felt like a big gut punch that Robin would have to abandon him arbitrarily like that, especially after all the other times she's gone out of her way to help people. Just felt like a poo poo situation.

I totally get where you’re coming from with the multiple endings, but I saw that coming—there were so many antagonists that there had to be multiple finale-ish fights. I’m actually surprised that there wasn’t one that was a fakeout, I guess Chrome counts in that regard.

You can’t save Royal, I checked online. That really sucked, and felt a little too cruel... but on the other hand, I do feel like his death fit. Even to the end he was convinced he was literally humanity’s savior despite the actual savior was standing right next to him, impatiently bouncing her wrench in her hand. All of the One Concern members got what were coming to them, in my opinion.

FPzero posted:

So much felt like it wasn't explained at all despite all the words the game spits at you. Why did Chrome not die to the first syringe he was stuck with, but instead die to the one Elro hit him with when it was established they were supposed to be the same syringes? Who were those people in purple you fought at the end of the game and why did one of them try to stick Chrome with the syringe? How did this whole Him and Mother and ivory and divinity stuff even come about? Who the hell was Him anyway? And why was he some kind of space chicken!?

That last bit confused me the most. The game does feel like it's presenting an argument against organized religion considering how One Concern is pretty much loving up everything for regular people and also the planet. I'm not very devout myself but seeing as the Starworm is supposed to be like this deity figure the people of this planet worship, the reveal that the Starworm is nothing more than a semi-sentient spaceship piloted by a big space chicken seemed to be like a jab at believers. Like a sort of "you worship something you don't fully understand, imagine if it was nothing more than something incredibly mundane and ridiculous." I don't know, I'm probably reading into this too much but it was just really weird and felt totally out of left field.

In order:
When Elro made the Agent-killing serum, he created it in two parts because it was super dangerous—when combined, it instantly converts any ivory it touches to the purple dust. A single drop in an ivory supply would decimate it. I don’t remember the purple people exactly, but I’m pretty sure that was Elro in disguise sticking Chrome with the first of the two syringes. Later he stuck him with the second one, which killed Chrome.

As for the ivory/mother stuff, here’s my understanding of it.

The planet is a human colony, the game takes place far, far in the future. On the planet, there was a native fuel source (ivory). At some point, the space worm landed on the planet and extracted the ivory for itself. Some of the humans flipped their poo poo and built a religion around this god-like being, with the ivory taking on religious significance. This resulted in the particularly pious injecting themselves with the ivory; most died, but some not only survived but gained powers and immortality, further adding ”proof” that the faith in the religion was justified. Mother appears to be the first successful case of ivory injection, and is the de facto leader of everything. Then everything started to go to poo poo as the religion started acting oppressively to maintain control: having children became heavily discouraged (instead seeking immortality through Ivory was the “right” thing to do). The religion also starts doing things like relocating people to homes that had, uh, death traps built into them so that if someone tried to rise up or protest the religion they could be easily dispatched of (this is what happened to Elro’s family in the beginning).

As to why it’s a space chicken—well, that’s a punchline. The spaceworm seen to be a god is really just an ship driven by an intergalactic trucker who swings by the planet every couple hundred years to refuel his ship. He’s a bird because, well, they needed an “alien”, it’s funny to see a bird leap out of a worm skeleton, and also the main character is named after a bird so the final fight is kind of a mirror to the protagonist.

And yeah, the entire game is making an argument against organized religion. It’s not subtle about it at all, right from the get-go it’s very transparent that it’s a totalitarian society lead by insane religious nuts. There’s a ton of parallels to stuff real religions have done in the game, so it’s not even unfair in my opinion. Also, the title gives it away too: per whatever dictionary Google gets its results from, an iconoclast is a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions, or a destroyer of images used in religious worship, in particular.

He could have called it “Atheists” but that’s not nearly as catchy.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Not a Children posted:

You can use a microsd card, which are getting very reasonable in price. 128GB is still the sweet spot in terms of $/GB, I think. Switch games are not like Xbox/PS4 games, most are very reasonably sized -- I've got about 20 games on mine and I'm nowhere near the limit of my 128 gigs.

Or you can just do what I did:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Iconoclasts:

I totally get where you’re coming from with the multiple endings, but I saw that coming—there were so many antagonists that there had to be multiple finale-ish fights. I’m actually surprised that there wasn’t one that was a fakeout, I guess Chrome counts in that regard.

You can’t save Royal, I checked online. That really sucked, and felt a little too cruel... but on the other hand, I do feel like his death fit. Even to the end he was convinced he was literally humanity’s savior despite the actual savior was standing right next to him, impatiently bouncing her wrench in her hand. All of the One Concern members got what were coming to them, in my opinion.

In order:
When Elro made the Agent-killing serum, he created it in two parts because it was super dangerous—when combined, it instantly converts any ivory it touches to the purple dust. A single drop in an ivory supply would decimate it. I don’t remember the purple people exactly, but I’m pretty sure that was Elro in disguise sticking Chrome with the first of the two syringes. Later he stuck him with the second one, which killed Chrome.

The planet is a human colony, the game takes place far, far in the future. On the planet, there was a native fuel source (ivory). At some point, the space worm landed on the planet and extracted the ivory for itself. Some of the humans flipped their poo poo and built a religion around this god-like being, with the ivory taking on religious significance. This resulted in the particularly pious injecting themselves with the ivory; most died, but some not only survived but gained powers and immortality, further adding ”proof” that the faith in the religion was justified. Mother appears to be the first successful case of ivory injection, and is the de facto leader of everything. Then everything started to go to poo poo as the religion started acting oppressively to maintain control: having children became heavily discouraged (instead seeking immortality through Ivory was the “right” thing to do). The religion also starts doing things like relocating people to homes that had, uh, death traps built into them so that if someone tried to rise up or protest the religion they could be easily dispatched of (this is what happened to Elro’s family in the beginning).

As to why it’s a space chicken—well, that’s a punchline. The spaceworm seen to be a god is really just an ship driven by an intergalactic trucker who swings by the planet every couple hundred years to refuel his ship. He’s a bird because, well, they needed an “alien”, it’s funny to see a bird leap out of a worm skeleton, and also the main character is named after a bird so the final fight is kind of a mirror to the protagonist.

And yeah, the entire game is making an argument against organized religion. It’s not subtle about it at all, right from the get-go it’s very transparent that it’s a totalitarian society lead by insane religious nuts. There’s a ton of parallels to stuff real religions have done in the game, so it’s not even unfair in my opinion. Also, the title gives it away too: per whatever dictionary Google gets its results from, an iconoclast is a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions, or a destroyer of images used in religious worship, in particular.

It would have been cool if the game was good and the story was deleted

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I would love to see a Nintendo Switch Final Fantasy Collection 1&2 with like 1-6 on the first game and 7-12 on the second (excepting 11 of course)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Dead Cells is cool and good even though I suck at it, I can't get past the sewers yet but I'll keep trying

I also got the Mega Man X collection in the mail and I'm finding it tough to play on the Joycons, I'll probably have to dock and play with the pro controller

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is dead cells hard i am like 1- 2 hrs into my first run and ive never been below 75% health.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

curried lamb of God posted:

Dead Cells is cool and good even though I suck at it, I can't get past the sewers yet but I'll keep trying

I also suck at it. I've made it to the bridge boss twice and gotten killed, that's the extent of my progress.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Diabetic posted:

All these people wanting Goku really just want another Jump Ultimate Stars style game. It plays like Smash, has a ton of characters that are just now appearing in the West, and J Star Victory Vs was pretty garbage compared to how good and simple the 2D game was on the DS.

Nah it's been shown statistically that Goku should be in about 60% of games, there's just some licensing BS that holds it up a lot of the time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zibidibodel posted:

I would love to see a Nintendo Switch Final Fantasy Collection 1&2 with like 1-6 on the first game and 7-12 on the second (excepting 11 of course)

Right?? This would take square enix minimal effort and would net them tons of money

Why are companies so stupid???? Oh well *goes back to overpaid ez peasy corporate job*

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Skipopatomus posted:

Where do you think all the budget went

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Nintendo Summer Sale has updated. Serial Cleaner is cheap. Any thoughts goons? I like the concept and the art style but is the gameplay good

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

its not on switch

Real hurthling! posted:

It would have been cool if the game was good and the story was deleted

the game is fun

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Skipopatomus posted:

You gotta subscribe to hear eshop music

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I’m putting a new SD card in my Switch do I need to
write down all my games or does the System
remember them and have, like, their icons still there, just with download prompts...

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

what the hell when did la mulana 2 come out and why did nobody tell me

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Feenix posted:

If I’m putting a new SD card in my Switch do I need to
write down all my games or does the System
remember them and have, like, their icons still there, just with download prompts...

If you archive them, the icons stay on the dashboard with download prompts if you try to launch then.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pretty sure there's also a section of the eshop where you can look at what you've bought and download them too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

After more Overcooked 2 online the lag has been a lot better, I must have had some really bad luck at first. There's a bit of a delay with a good connection but the game is still playable online. Needs some fine tuning and more emotes though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

lelandjs posted:

Iconoclasts:

In order:

I suppose it's not unfair given the way the story progresses. It just felt a bit mean but maybe that's just because I was already feeling down on the game by the end. Ah well.

Thanks for the explanations on the rest. I guess I started paying less attention as I went along because some of that I outright didn't remember. Wish I could've like the game more in the end because it had potential.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LethalGeek posted:

After more Overcooked 2 online the lag has been a lot better, I must have had some really bad luck at first. There's a bit of a delay with a good connection but the game is still playable online. Needs some fine tuning and more emotes though.

Speaking of online Overcooked 2, holy poo poo... don’t go play public matches if you aren’t able to pre-practice everything somehow. I am a lone player with no local gamer buddies and online is my only multiplayer option... so if you go to public matches it randomly selects a level so hope you like joining an ultra loving hard level you’ve never seen before and not knowing what the poo poo to do.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I also suck at it. I've made it to the bridge boss twice and gotten killed, that's the extent of my progress.
Gotta get used to that dodge roll. It's all about that and getting used to their attack patterns. For the bridge boss, I found it useful to drop 2 turret skills and have the frost blast weapon so it keeps the boss stopped and constantly needled by arrows.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Zibidibodel posted:

Put FFXI On The Switch :argh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kazy posted:

Put FFXI On The Switch :argh:

:barf:

At least play 14 instead, where they fixed all the mistakes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Right?? This would take square enix minimal effort and would net them tons of money

Why are companies so stupid???? Oh well *goes back to overpaid ez peasy corporate job*

Bundling up FF games and selling them for the price of one game would devalue them, especially the newer ones. The older games could probably sell for $5-15 separately if updated well enough to be included in a collection, and the FF12 remaster is still $50 on PSN.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

curried lamb of God posted:

I also got the Mega Man X collection in the mail and I'm finding it tough to play on the Joycons, I'll probably have to dock and play with the pro controller

I highly recommend the pro over joycons for Mega Man X, I also recommend changing dash to L or R

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

acksplode posted:

Bundling up FF games and selling them for the price of one game would devalue them, especially the newer ones. The older games could probably sell for $5-15 separately if updated well enough to be included in a collection, and the FF12 remaster is still $50 on PSN.

Fine then they should do that! I'd instantly pay $15 for an SNES or PS1 rom...:sigh:

I mostly want 7-9 though

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

JazzFlight posted:

I'm playing Dead Cells on switch now and I might have to forfeit my nerd cred...

I like it better than Hollow Knight.

It’s okay, Hollow Knight is vastly overrated around these parts anyways

Your nerd cred will be just fine

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d pay well for Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Rolo posted:

I’d pay well for Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

Me too, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite RPGs of all time

• Locked thread