Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Without the carrot of actually being able to win the race, I don't know if teams like Rebellion/Dragonspeed/DC Racing will be interested in the hassle/expense.

The only thing I can see keeping Zombie PC relevant in the long run is if they make it as spec/cheap as, well, PC was. Otherwise I can easily see all the remaining 3 teams bailing. The ones that can actually source a DPi (that the manufacturers claim are available, but haven't been) will do that. The ones that cant I can easily see selling their cars to european teams and doing something else.

I'm thinking it's more of a shakedown before their main season. The overall is likely gone, but the opportunity to make sure everything is in running order, especially in an "full throttle most of the lap" situation a la Le Mans is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also, get ready for the mid engine Corvette racecar in GTLM:

https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvette-c8-r-the-best-look-yet-1828229738

looks like Marcel Fassler's helmet in the car. Btw its not an NA V8.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Also, get ready for the mid engine Corvette racecar in GTLM:

https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvette-c8-r-the-best-look-yet-1828229738

looks like Marcel Fassler's helmet in the car. Btw its not an NA V8.

Think this could be at Daytona next year? It won't be at Le Mans because they can't homologate a new car during the super season.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Here’s what it’s like driving the RT24-P in the sim: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/08/this-isnt-a-game-we-try-out-a-professional-driver-in-the-loop-simulator/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Someone link the picture of the old SpeedSource RT24P simulator for reference, the DFGT wheel, old PC, 32 inch LCD screen in an arcade race cabinet.

Mazda put a hell of a lot more money in it this go around.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

orange juche posted:

Someone link the picture of the old SpeedSource RT24P simulator for reference, the DFGT wheel, old PC, 32 inch LCD screen in an arcade race cabinet.

Mazda put a hell of a lot more money in it this go around.

Found it!

https://live.keyauctioneers.com/lots/view/1-LOICF/race-car-simulator%5C

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

cursed image

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Think this could be at Daytona next year? It won't be at Le Mans because they can't homologate a new car during the super season.

I think there could be an exception made with how willing ACO is willing to bend rules with the Ford running their car a year early (and clearly turned a blind eye to the sandbagging). They could work something out, or make that race the swan song to the C7.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Imsa has run cars pre-homologation before, so I don't see why not. See: Mustang GT4, Camaro GT4, 911 RSR, BMW M8 GTE, Audi R8 (2nd gen), Mercedes-AMG GT4.

They do their own BOP anyway

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I think there could be an exception made with how willing ACO is willing to bend rules with the Ford running their car a year early (and clearly turned a blind eye to the sandbagging). They could work something out, or make that race the swan song to the C7.

Also the homologation question was about whether any of the Aston Martin teams can use the new car next year or not. Corvette Racing is a factory GTE Pro team, so should have more leniency. They’re also not in the WEC.

I would expect to see the new car at Daytona and Sebring, and hopefully Le Mans.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rip customer DPis in 2019

https://racer.com/2018/08/09/mazda-rules-out-customer-dpis-for-2019/

Mazda was the only team rumored to be considering selling DPis to privateers, but has ruled that out until they start bagging wins.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So what's the deal with Caddy running 6 next year then over 4 teams? What's the practical difference between that and them being customer cars?

Dudley fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 10, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

So what's the deal with Caddy running 6 next year then over 4 teams? What's the practical difference between that and them being customer cars?

What are the 3 teams, isn't CORE the only full time LMP2 team now? (after JDC bail)

Cadillac is bringing them on as full factory efforts, with factory support and financial backing, not customers that all they do is sell the cars to them and who gives a gently caress if they win or lose.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They're financially supporting 6 cars?

That feels....short term.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

They're financially supporting 6 cars?

That feels....short term.

I mean they've got the money to blow, and they're winning hand over fist, which is huge for marketing for GM.

You best believe if they start losing though, that GM will trim the prototype effort back significantly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

https://racer.com/2018/08/09/mazda-rules-out-customer-dpis-for-2019/

Mazda was the only team rumored to be considering selling DPis to privateers, but has ruled that out until they start bagging wins.

I don't blame Mazda for doing this. They're still only a season removed from SpeedSource and that simulator. Joest is finally getting the car to a point where it's competitive, and probably 2020 is when we'll see it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

I don't blame Mazda for doing this. They're still only a season removed from SpeedSource and that simulator. Joest is finally getting the car to a point where it's competitive, and probably 2020 is when we'll see it.

they may also need that much time to tool the chassis, too, because unlike with the other DPis/P2s, almost all of the chassis are racing as the DPi with the factory team. There are loose Ligiers and Orecas around, but I think there's only one or two extra Riley-Multimatic chassis outside of Mazda Team Joest.

------

Speaking of IMSA, this is pretty cool: IMSA to be the featured marque at next year's Monterey Historics. First time it hasn't been a manufacturer, but it's a cool part of the 50th anniversary.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The manufacutrers all promised to make DPi's available to privateers in 1 to 2 years and none did, so I don't feel too bad for any of them. If there has been any failure in the DPi concept as a whole, its been that. Also they should have made the teams run the stock chassis' suspension parts.

Some aero analysis of the C8R test mule:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a22691355/mid-engine-corvette-c8r-aerodynamic-analysis/

This picture made me laugh. Wish it included the NSX GTD car too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

you know what would be rad

if toyota ditched lmp1, brought back the mr2 and joined the mid-engine gt class party

but i guess that would require modern-day toyota to be cool :smith:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think Toyota might consider the MR2 again.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

That made me look up what engine is in the new Supra and ----

quote:

On 5 July 2018, Toyota Racing announced that the Supra will return to production and compete in the US NASCAR Xfinity Series in 2019.[38]

:tif:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you know what would be rad

if toyota ditched lmp1, brought back the mr2 and joined the mid-engine gt class party

but i guess that would require modern-day toyota to be cool :smith:

You know they would bring back the mr2 as a halo car though. It would have an amped up engine and sell for more than you can afford :smith:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

The people they want buying the Supra also watch Nascar.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

orange juche posted:

The people they want buying the Supra also watch Nascar.

you're saying that ironically, right?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

And you haven't seen it yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Because when I think Supra I certainly think carbureted pushrod normally aspirated V8

E: in related but somewhat topical news, Trans Am is at mid ohio with Xfinity this weekend, apparently streaming on Motortrend on demand, as well as PWC from Utah

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 10, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Because when I think Supra I certainly think carbureted pushrod normally aspirated V8

They're fuel injected now. Finally.

Also the LS is a pushrod, for now.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

Astounding.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the only real difference between them and the Corvette C7.R and the Caddy DPIs is max RPM and displacement :v:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I remember watching the first race with that and they were talking like fuel injection was some kind of witchcraft.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

I remember watching the first race with that and they were talking like fuel injection was some kind of witchcraft.

buh gawd

But the reason I said the same people who watch nascar are who they want to buy a supra is "dumb hick with too much money who wants to go fast"

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

https://racer.com/2018/08/10/esm-to-relinquish-nissan-onroak-dpi-exclusivity-for-2019/

A wild Nissan appears!

Hopefully CORE can pick one up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is a loving rollercoaster of news right now, because beginning of the week, murmurs that Mazda might do DPis for customers the following year, thursday they can the idea, and friday ESM says yo we're not in an exclusivity agreement anymore, anyone can buy one if they have enough money now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean do we even know if ESM is running them next year either... they sorta dont have a sponsor soon.

IMSA silly season is now an official thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iospace posted:

Also the LS is a pushrod, for now.

They've been injected for years. And the LS will never not be pushrod, but I do see GM going OHC soon. Especially in the Corvette.

Then again, it's such a compact motor that makes such reliable power that it's not really needed yet.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

I mean do we even know if ESM is running them next year either... they sorta dont have a sponsor soon.

IMSA silly season is now an official thing.

Which might well have prompted this, if Nissan said "Do you have the funds for next year yet?" and if the answer was no, if Nissan want to make sure they stay in the game they have to find at least one more team.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Frond posted:

I think Toyota might consider the MR2 again.

I was hoping theyd make one out of gt86 bits, boxer motor low in the back and bastardised subaru double wishbone setup on each corner.

More likely to be a heavy rear end hybrid with no manual gearbox now tho........

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

track day bro! posted:

I was hoping theyd make one out of gt86 bits, boxer motor low in the back and bastardised subaru double wishbone setup on each corner.

i'd be down with this

track day bro! posted:

More likely to be a heavy rear end hybrid with no manual gearbox now tho........

:barf:

i would hate to see the mr2 suffer the same fate as the nsx, i'd rather it just stay dead than that

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iwentdoodie posted:

They've been injected for years. And the LS will never not be pushrod, but I do see GM going OHC soon. Especially in the Corvette.

It's practically all-but-confirmed that the C8 vette is DOHC Twin Turbo, there have been design documents leaked showing that engine configuration in the road car, and the noises posted from the C8.R test seem to indicate flat plane twin turbo dohc

orange juche posted:

This is a loving rollercoaster of news right now, because beginning of the week, murmurs that Mazda might do DPis for customers the following year, thursday they can the idea, and friday ESM says yo we're not in an exclusivity agreement anymore, anyone can buy one if they have enough money now.

gently caress yeah silly season ramping up good. here's hoping nismo/onroak can sort out the little blowing up problem they've been having with the GT-R GT3 plant in the ligier chassis.