Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Xbox one x has performance improvements beyond just 4k. Its worth it at 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RBX posted:

The Xbox one x has performance improvements beyond just 4k. Its worth it at 1080p.

Compared to an XB1(S) it's a bit of a boost since very few games hit 1080p there, compared to a regular PS4 it really isn't except for the booster 360 BC games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is it weird that I have a 4k TV and have never even considered upgrading my launch model Xbone?

The games look good and play the same gently caress all the pees.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TheScott2K posted:

Is it weird that I have a 4k TV and have never even considered upgrading my launch model Xbone?

The games look good and play the same gently caress all the pees.

HDR is rad. I like it more than the actual 4k on my One X. I went from laucnh bone to One X so it was a big step up.

I had the One X for like two weeks before I got my 4k tv. The improvements on 1080p and framerate were nice but the HDR stood out most.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, regular Xbox games have terribly low resolution.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lambert posted:

Also, regular Xbox games have terribly low resolution.

Can't see it from my couch :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There's a console for those who want to pay $499 for 4K graphics. It's called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Qdc9Vf1HY

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

4K and HDR is really amazing, but in order to get this you need an absurdly expensive TV. My TV has HDR, and Xbox One doesn't even support it, I have the wrong kind of HDR. Unless you're willing to throw down $2500+ for a TV with Dolby Digital HDR, then don't bother.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

4K and HDR is really amazing, but in order to get this you need an absurdly expensive TV. My TV has HDR, and Xbox One doesn't even support it, I have the wrong kind of HDR.

What the gently caress? There are TV's without HDR10 support?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

What the gently caress? There are TV's without HDR10 support?

As i've learned the hard way, yes. :/ But I couldn't afford a HDR10 TV anyways, so whatever. The jump from HDR8 to HDR10 and then Dolby Digital, is steep.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm still surprised they designed UHD Blu-ray so it effectively requires HDR10 with no proper SDR fallback option, so you can't even enjoy those. At least you can get 4K SDR with digital copies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I've got a good number of blurays but honestly I'm still pretty much fine watching a movie on DVD on my 55 inch TV as long as it's in widescreen.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

univbee posted:

There's a console for those who want to pay $499 for 4K graphics. It's called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Qdc9Vf1HY

Where'd they get 500 million from? Did they include handhelds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of my movies are digital on Amazon, who doesn't even offer 4K on their digital service, just 1080p. I'm honestly fine with this, and Xbox One S scales all video to 4K anyways. Which I realize is not as nice looking but it still looks really good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I put the Blu-ray for SW: A New Hope in and I was loving floored with the picture quality. I've rented a few UHD movies off of Live and they looked pretty good.

Logan in UHD along with Planet Earth 2 are still my "holy poo poo" movies.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where'd they get 500 million from? Did they include handhelds?

Including PS4, PS3, PS2, PSX, and PSP gets them to 506, 82 of which is PSP so I guess so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

I put the Blu-ray for SW: A New Hope in and I was loving floored with the picture quality. I've rented a few UHD movies off of Live and they looked pretty good.

Logan in UHD along with Planet Earth 2 are still my "holy poo poo" movies.

Watched Planet Earth 2 on Netflix, they have it in native 4K and that was pretty amazing looking. I can't imagine the blu-ray version.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Including PS4, PS3, PS2, PSX, and PSP gets them to 506, 82 of which is PSP so I guess so.

It would be dozens higher if they included Vita

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Watched Planet Earth 2 on Netflix, they have it in native 4K and that was pretty amazing looking. I can't imagine the blu-ray version.

The hummingbirds in 4k Planet Earth are just unreal.

I haven't sprung for the extra 4k subscription on Netflix. How are you liking it?

Amazon streaming has 4k content but it's only their original stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

The hummingbirds in 4k Planet Earth are just unreal.

I haven't sprung for the extra 4k subscription on Netflix. How are you liking it?

Amazon streaming has 4k content but it's only their original stuff.

Love it! It's mostly their original content that is in 4K, and documentaries, but I love Netflix original content. The wife and I recently binged the Crown, and Lost in Space. Both are goofy shows but they looked beautiful in 4K and were fun to watch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

4K streaming rules, I'm hoping to get an Apple TV 4K soon since I have a fuckton of stuff in there which got upgraded to 4K for free, including a ton of stuff not available on UHD Blu-ray. :dance:

Really annoying that Netflix and Amazon have gently caress-all for movies in 4K. Other than their originals, I think your choices are Terminator 2 with excess DNR, Bram Stoker's Dracula with missing subtitles for the Romanian bits at the beginning, and Talladega Nights. :toot:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just heard that this weekend there's free multiplayer on Xbox Live and you can play ONRUSH and ESO for free too.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

TheScott2K posted:

It would be dozens higher if they included Vita

The Vita is also included.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

I said come in! posted:

4K and HDR is really amazing, but in order to get this you need an absurdly expensive TV. My TV has HDR, and Xbox One doesn't even support it, I have the wrong kind of HDR. Unless you're willing to throw down $2500+ for a TV with Dolby Digital HDR, then don't bother.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S517-5...L70_&dpSrc=srch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motherfucker, excuse me while I throw my Sony TV out the window.

quote:

Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture

Welp, now I know better and have throughly owned myself, and there's really nothing I can do about it until the TV I have now dies. I could sell it but it's really not worth it to me to go through that effort right now.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2018

derk
Sep 24, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Motherfucker, excuse me while I throw my Sony TV out the window.

I'm sure your Sony TV is really nice, but these tvs get really good reviews, i was only referencing for the $2,500 price point as this for an alternative.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Note if you are going to get one of the TCLs, get the 6 series models... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079N9HDNQ/ Has local dimming zones which is going help the HDR content really pop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

derk posted:

I'm sure your Sony TV is really nice, but these tvs get really good reviews, i was only referencing for the $2,500 price point as this for an alternative.

I do appreciate the link a lot, and thank you! Everything I saw said these TVs were super expensive. So i'm kicking myself for being super wrong.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RBX posted:

As someone who just involuntarily downgraded from 4k hdr to 1080p I can't say I agree with this. Unless you're getting a 4ktv soon just get a ps4. The downgrade on a 1080p tv is significant.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a Xbox one x a few months ago and haven’t used my PS4 pro since; it’s just a generally better console than the PS4

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought a Xbox one x a few months ago and haven’t used my PS4 pro since; it’s just a generally better console than the PS4

Well, the Xbox doesn't have the games and it has a really terrible (and super slow) interface. But it's certainly quieter.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah and I'm gonna retract my last post somewhat, some games still look great on X at 1080p. It's been an uneven experience as I try X enhanced games, like NBA 2k18 looks significantly worse while I can barely tell the difference on destiny 2, for example.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RBX posted:

Load times are WAY better on the X vs Bone/Bone S to the point where that probably makes it worthwhile if you have the $$$

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

Load times are WAY better on the X vs Bone/Bone S to the point where that probably makes it worthwhile if you have the $$$

I saw a test on youtube that averaged like 3-5 seconds improvement but maybe its better now??

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I saw a test on youtube that averaged like 3-5 seconds improvement but maybe its better now??

I use a portable ssd on the One S and GTAV basically halved the initial load and made the rest almost instant, and from what I've seen the One X essentially matches that.

Given how poorly games can end up running towards the end of a generation I'd recommend either a Pro or X for sure. If all games could choose between 4k and improved performance that would be better though (this goes for the Pro too obviously.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah i guess if you have a $$d for it.
I thought you meant stock

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh yeah i guess if you have a $$d for it.
I thought you meant stock

Stock Xbox One X loading times = Xbox One S with SSD is what he was saying, which is also my experience.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Stock Xbox One X loading times = Xbox One S with SSD is what he was saying, which is also my experience.

Yep.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Gonna point out that this is generally only the case with games that are not X-enhanced because the X uses its extra RAM as a RAMdisk to speed up loading times for the games that don't use all of it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I went ahead and replaced the internal drive on my Xbonx a few months back. It's surprisingly easy, and the OS can be downloaded from Microsoft's website and installed using a USB thumb drive.