Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

Not to interrupt nuWolf ripping their dicks off and trying to fit them into their mouths along with their foot. But apparently the Mirror Universe has an internet connection.

/tg/ has also been going batshit for wacky reasons. Most of them seem to agree that v5 sucks. The flamewars have been about whether it was ruined by pandering to nazis with edgelord nazi dogwhistles or whether it was ruined by pandering to sjw cucks and their identity politics.

V5: Truly an edition that pleases no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That Old Tree posted:

lol White Wolf is "not really a publishing company" so don't expect a lot of books, also most V5 books will be third-party…also one Clan per book to start, so get ready to buy 3+ books just for the basic rules in your Sabbat game they totally aren't sweeping under the rug. (Also they're hinting that the Lasombra are joining the Cam.)

They could've just said "we want a different focus in our game" instead of this mealy-mouthed promise to support multiple play options when people asked about Sabbat games. They are so bad at this.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my review in the other page, but we really are getting less content in the corebook in this edition. It essentially supports Anarch games with the big Seven, Caitiffs and Thin-Blooded, while still leaving the setting pretty barebones. It has 430 pages. Revised had a hundred less pages than that and had all the 13 clans of the Final Nights, plus enough setting material for a shot at Cammie, Independent or Sabbat* play. This book wastes a lot of time talking about aesthetics, a lot of "style" over substance. I did like some of the new rules, so I am not writing it off completely.

(*though this is very incomplete without the Revised Guide to the Sabbat, but at least the core gameplay is there)

Lasombra being a side-thing in the Chicago by Night book might turn out to be a standard rather than an one time thing, it is similar to what Paradox Development Studios do for the DLC of their games, where they have an expansion about, say, Cossacks and their region, but it also has Estates as a feature for all nations, so people with no interest in the geographic area covered by the DLC will feel inclined to buy it to maintain a full experience. I at least hope Clan/Bloodline information will be compilled in the Guide to the Sabbat/Camarilla/Whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing about V5 I'm curious about are the loresheets. Can I get a summation?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Post-Urshulgi Schismatic Assamites are a natural to join the Camarilla- they're mostly the least bloodthirsty portion of the clan and every one of them has something to offer in addition to being competent combatants in the Final Nights.

The Lasombra antitribu officially joining as a group, as opposed to the usual situation where they're just individuals who happen too be members, is a terrible idea for the Cam. The mainstream clan hates the antitribu with an intense passion, to the point of hunting them, and the Camarilla welcoming them in an official membership capacity would probably result in some kind of war.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

One thing about V5 I'm curious about are the loresheets. Can I get a summation?

They're merits, of a sort, that give you an intrinsic tie to something in the setting. Each level gives you some benefit tie. a lot of them are being tied to specific events (such as leaving the Cam with Theo Bell), to being descended from particular famous Kindred (Descendant of Helena, descendant of Zelios, Descendant of Karl Schreckt, etc.) You can buy each level individually, so you don't have ot go in order/get all of them if you choose not to. The benefits are wide and varied, but invariably the level 5s are all pretty much game changers.

Here's the Hardestadt lore, for example.

Pope Guilty posted:

Post-Urshulgi Schismatic Assamites are a natural to join the Camarilla- they're mostly the least bloodthirsty portion of the clan and every one of them has something to offer in addition to being competent combatants in the Final Nights.

The Lasombra antitribu officially joining as a group, as opposed to the usual situation where they're just individuals who happen too be members, is a terrible idea for the Cam. The mainstream clan hates the antitribu with an intense passion, to the point of hunting them, and the Camarilla welcoming them in an official membership capacity would probably result in some kind of war.

Considering that as of BJD the actual Lasomba Ante is up and about, I can see why some of them, particularly younger ones to fit the narrative of a focus on younger Kindred, might jump ship in the face of that. Plus the majority of the elder Lasombra are off dealing with the Gehenna War, leaving things open. I can see it being an interesting plot change to play around with.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 10, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
‘Bout time somebody stole Weapons of the Gods’ loresheets. It’s only been, what, how many years?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MoonKnight posted:

They're merits, of a sort, that give you an intrinsic tie to something in the setting. Each level gives you some benefit tie. a lot of them are being tied to specific events (such as leaving the Cam with Theo Bell), to being descended from particular famous Kindred (Descendant of Helena, descendant of Zelios, Descendant of Karl Schreckt, etc.) You can buy each level individually, so you don't have ot go in order/get all of them if you choose not to. The benefits are wide and varied, but invariably the level 5s are all pretty much game changers.

I'm a bigger fan of the canon than most, so I do say I don't hate this idea. It might be the one thing I'd co-opt.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ZearothK posted:

I at least hope Clan/Bloodline information will be compilled in the Guide to the Sabbat/Camarilla/Whatever.

They were very explicit in the Facebook about one Clan per book in the Cam/Sab/Chicago books.

There's a loving lot of whitespace in the core book.

Stephenls posted:

‘Bout time somebody stole Weapons of the Gods’ loresheets. It’s only been, what, how many years?

Fukken thirteen years dammit.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

That Old Tree posted:

They were very explicit in the Facebook about one Clan per book in the Cam/Sab/Chicago books.

Eh? They've said multiple times 2 in the Cam book and 1 in the Anarch book. Nothing about the Sabbat book has been teased or released at ALL.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

So one Cam book will also double as the Malkavian book?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MoonKnight posted:

Eh? They've said multiple times 2 in the Cam book and 1 in the Anarch book. Nothing about the Sabbat book has been teased or released at ALL.

Woops you're right that they didn't mention the Sabbat book. However they did say:

quote:

I think the semantics of this post are getting a little lost. There will be a clan profiled in the Camarilla book and another in the Anarch book. Anything further will come in later books.

:shrug:

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

That Old Tree posted:

Woops you're right that they didn't mention the Sabbat book. However they did say:

:shrug:

They must've dialed some things back then, which sucks. Original projects from them said 2 in Cam and 1 in Anarch.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Gerund posted:

The guy's been laughed out of most LARP scenes in the NW for giving teenage girls liquor poisoning,

I would like to hear more about this.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

So one Cam book will also double as the Malkavian book?

Malkavians are in the core.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So reading through the powers section in channeling... Beasts can take a gift that allows them to do agg damage for 1 glamour

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Soonmot posted:

So reading through the powers section in channeling... Beasts can take a gift that allows them to do agg damage for 1 glamour

I....

Oh the Beast SEEMING.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I really, really am not into the idea of the Lasombra joining the Camarilla.

My personal headcanon, if I fast-forward to 2018 on the 'Gehenna was basically a Vampiric Y2K Bug'.

Camarilla Clans:
Assamite Schism (Al-Ashrad is Inner Circle, Tegyrius is Justicar)
Brujah (Though worryingly on the fence about their membership.)
Nosferatu
Toreador
Tremere
Ventrue

Sabbat Clans:
Tzimisce (Vast majority of leadership now)
Lasombra (Get hosed by the propagation of cameras thanks to Smartphones, Elders just straight up go into hiding and Ancillae get murdered by Packs)
Ravnos (Because post-Ravana, where else do they have to go to survive, and they know the Sabbat is right, the Antediluvians are real. No Elders though, they stay Independent.)
Antitribu (Aside from the Assamites, who all mass-defect back to the Loyalists. Also the Salubri Antitribu expand massively in the power vacuum.)

Independent Clans:
Assamite Loyalists
Gangrel
Giovanni
Malkavian
Followers of Set

Anarch Clans:
Large numbers of the Lasombra who survive their own 'allies' turning on them.
Also, if the Brujah are going to mass leave to anywhere...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I....

Oh the Beast SEEMING.

No, clearly vampires in Frenzy can deal Agg damage for 1 Glamour.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

You know, I should be pissed that they're apparently going to try to drag out what used to be core book material over what, 6 books for all the clans? But its almost humorous in how they seem to dial in on the worst possible option for every single choice they make.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Stephenls posted:

I've been saying this for years, but it feels like "So the first game to do it will be Vampire 5E" is the Monkey's paw version of the wish being granted.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shockeh posted:

I really, really am not into the idea of the Lasombra joining the Camarilla.

The :smug:-fest, dick measuring contest between them and the ventrue though would be hilarious. That's a potential upside. Not that i'm holding out much hope that it'll turn out that way with these devs.

Also, are they actually stretching the clans across other books? Did I read that right? That's some Universal Studios "We have an entire monsterverse lined up after this sure-to-be-a-success Mummy remake with Tom Cruise in it!" levels of delusional hubris.

The funniest thing about that will probably be that by the time they get them all out this whole "Well, we're just highlighting/having a conversation about the rise of literal fascism and supremacist movements in many countries. Also, here's literal coded neo-nazi language secretly baked into the core book. :smug:" stuff will probably be old hat among a lot of people on reddit and 4chan. At which point the whole thing will just seem dated and weird and shifty that they gave so many winks to that group of people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 10, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Brujah need the Cam as much as the Cam needs them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Camarilla, given its literal meaning, remains an extremely funny name.

"Hello, we are the Nefarious Cabal, welcome, welcome."

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Archonex posted:

Also, are they actually stretching the clans across other books? Did I read that right? That's some Universal Studios "We have an entire monsterverse lined up after this sure-to-be-a-success Mummy remake with Tom Cruise in it!" levels of delusional hubris.

Honestly, its hard to tell. Because like literally every other part of nuWW, their PR/marketing division seems to be really lovely at their job and keeps making weirdly worded social media posts, then walking them back with even more confusing ones. So at one point it sounded like they were going to have a couple clans in each of the coming books, then they said one per book, now who knows. Its a clusterfuck.

quote:

The funniest thing about that will probably be that by the time they get them all out this whole "Well, we're just highlighting/having a conversation about the rise of literal fascism and supremacist movements in many countries. Also, here's literal coded neo-nazi language secretly baked into the core book. :smug:" stuff will probably be old hat among a lot of people on reddit and 4chan. At which point the whole thing will just seem dated and weird and shifty that they gave so many winks to that group of people.

The old WW games got mocked a fair amount for the dumb pretentious quotes, but the ones from song lyrics or whatever at least had a shelf life of a few years or more. Memes that make it past 12 months are uncommon. So early vampire might have looked a bit dated a decade in, but this book is going to have "hip language" that looks dated next year.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah I still listen to Cult and I'm sure those other bands also still get streams.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Is the 5th edition book officially on the shelves yet? Most vendors still have it listed as a preorder, but they don't show an exact release date. But some folks came back from GenCon with hard-copies in-hand... was that just a Con exclusive promo or something?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Is the 5th edition book officially on the shelves yet? Most vendors still have it listed as a preorder, but they don't show an exact release date. But some folks came back from GenCon with hard-copies in-hand... was that just a Con exclusive promo or something?

They had them at Gencon and were selling them. They said that the stores that are stocking them would have them close to the end of this month at one point.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Yessod posted:

I would like to hear more about this.

I'll have to ask the specific year but the joke "the bravest thing you can do is to drink what Shane offers you" is older than the 2nd Obama admin. His "bad habit" of grabbing & dragging people at LARP dates back to 94, and he's an infamous chauvinist to begin with.

So him even hinting at having an issue with the way MES runs their games in the big New Orleans speach nearly three years ago and causing an international "no, go gently caress yourself" tell-off is a case of a dude being too toxic to tolerate to begin with.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'd heard poo poo about ecstasy being passed out to underaged girls at conventions myself. Is it the same guy?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Soonmot posted:

If you're talking about Talon and Wing, it's not just Beast Seeming, any changeling with Lethal Mein can upgrade their unarmed lethal to agg.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Which is just beast and elemental? I'm playing a leechfinger so I only do bashing health transference. It was still shocking since agg damage was supposed to be hard to get.

Edit:. Wait, lethal mein? Is that a merit I glossed over?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It's a merit you glossed over.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

It was still shocking since agg damage was supposed to be hard to get.

This seems to be something people have gotten wrong about second edition. I think it's just hard for mortals to pull off with completely mundane access. Agg damage is everywhere in the supernatural world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm still mad that Protean doesn't get agg damage claws.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Claws of the Unholy merit?

I mean yes you gotta be frenzying to use it, but.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Soonmot posted:

I think I'm still mad that Protean doesn't get agg damage claws.

It’s insanely dumb and one of the big fumbles of Requiem 2E.

They didn’t even need to be pure agg damage. They could’ve done 1 agg and the rest non-magic lethal per strike. But turning them into high-dps, low rhetorical impact weapons completely misses the point of the power, as does making them optional.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

Claws of the Unholy merit?

I mean yes you gotta be frenzying to use it, but.

At that point, you might as well take ride the wave style and min max your character. While having every gangrel able to hand out lethal damage to vampires still makes them threats, masquerade gangrels able to pop agg damage at will made even the meekest gangrel something to watch for and keep on your side.

I honestly don't know why I'm so upset about the other splats getting easier access to agg damage than vampires. But here I am.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Funnily enough, 1e vampires had the easiest access to target-agnostic agg damage (a level three Discipline power) while mages had the most limited (five dot Arcana).

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
You could just make a Devotion for it. Protean + Vigor, maybe. I like Feeding the Crone sorcery but not everyone likes the Circle.

Obviously that doesn't change it not being in the core book.

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I generally don't like the 2E power creep and preferred the 1E weaker supernaturals.