Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SubG posted:

Are you bringing the pot up to a simmer before putting it in the oven?

Because I'm way more willing to believe that you have multiple thermometers that are reading high than your kitchen is about fifteen miles below sea level, which is roughly where you'd have to be for the boiling point of water to be at 375 F.

I was yeah. I'm pretty convinced the problem is actually the lovely lid to this dutch oven is blocking out too much heat, gonna try using a different pot next time and see if I get better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I was yeah. I'm pretty convinced the problem is actually the lovely lid to this dutch oven is blocking out too much heat, gonna try using a different pot next time and see if I get better results.

There's a disconnect between you and SubG on this. You are measuring ambient/surface oven temp while they believe you are measuring the temp of the pot contents.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

This looks great, thank you!

Though I will admit I got to "1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Chihuahua" and got very concerned

Don't worry too much about it. They are meatier than they look. 2-3 of them should get you enough meat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

baquerd posted:

There's a disconnect between you and SubG on this. You are measuring ambient/surface oven temp while they believe you are measuring the temp of the pot contents.
No, that shouldn't matter except in the length of time it takes the pot to come up to temperature if it isn't already. If you've got a pot of something at 212 F and put it in a 375 F oven and the pot drops below 212 F then the oven isn't at 375 F.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

No, that shouldn't matter except in the length of time it takes the pot to come up to temperature if it isn't already. If you've got a pot of something at 212 F and put it in a 375 F oven and the pot drops below 212 F then the oven isn't at 375 F.

Was your talking about the implications of having water with a boiling point of 375 just a joke that went over my head?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SubG posted:

If you specifically mean Huy Fong sriracha then the main difference between it and similar chili sauces is a shitload of sugar.

I was referring to the Huy Fong stuff and I haven't had it in ages but it's got a weird mustiness, whereas the Texas Pete sriracha is brighter and sharper and the funk is toned down some.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

I got some frozen spanakopitas at the Greek grocery. They don't have instructions. What temperature should I cook them at? They appear to be uncooked, and look like they did the folding of the dough and then froze them. Should I thaw first or bake it frozen?

What size are they? Cook from frozen, but the temperature depends on how big they are. 350 for big ones, 375 or 400 for small ones.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

Was your talking about the implications of having water with a boiling point of 375 just a joke that went over my head?
I guess? I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with.

The contents of the pot are going to be at or around the boiling point of water, assuming the temperature in the oven is at or above that temperature (mod some fudge factor due to inefficiency in heat transfer). Oven at 250? Stew's at 212. Oven at 300? Stew's at 212. Oven at 500? Stew's at 212. So the only way it's not simmering in a 375 F oven is either it isn't actually an oven at 375 but is in fact much cooler (and therefore the stew isn't simmering because it is below 212) or the pressure in the pot is crazy (and so the contents of the pot are in fact at 375 F but are still not simmering because the boiling point is higher).

The latter seems exceedingly unlikely.

I mean at this stage I'd say just put a probe thermometer or use an instant read to figure out what the stew temperature is. Maybe we're just having some confusion of what constitutes a simmer (which will actually start well below boiling temperature).

Human Tornada posted:

I was referring to the Huy Fong stuff and I haven't had it in ages but it's got a weird mustiness, whereas the Texas Pete sriracha is brighter and sharper and the funk is toned down some.
I guess I don't know what flavour you're talking about because Huy Fong sriracha tastes super bright and sugary to me. Like, one of the hot sauces I'd be least likely to describe as having funk in the taste.

Have you tried other lacto-fermented veg? Because the thing I think of as the distinctive flavour of a lacto-fermentation is a bright, almost fizzy flavour, with a sour note that gets more pronounced the longer the ferment. You do lose some sweetness (because of what the lactobacilli end up eating), but you don't end up with funk the way you do with yeast fermentation (e.g., beer fermentation involving brettanomyces as opposed to lactobacilli).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Human Tornada posted:

Is fermentation what gives sriracha it's distinctive flavor? I'm going to have a ton of habaneros and Scotch bonnets this year but don't really care for sriracha.

No, I think all the Louisiana style sauces are fermented.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

SubG posted:

I guess I don't know what flavour you're talking about because Huy Fong sriracha tastes super bright and sugary to me. Like, one of the hot sauces I'd be least likely to describe as having funk in the taste.

Have you tried other lacto-fermented veg? Because the thing I think of as the distinctive flavour of a lacto-fermentation is a bright, almost fizzy flavour, with a sour note that gets more pronounced the longer the ferment. You do lose some sweetness (because of what the lactobacilli end up eating), but you don't end up with funk the way you do with yeast fermentation (e.g., beer fermentation involving brettanomyces as opposed to lactobacilli).

It's been literally years since I've had HF Sriracha so who knows.

But yes, I've had kimchi before. It's fine.

wormil posted:

No, I think all the Louisiana style sauces are fermented.

Ok cool.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 8, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SubG posted:

The contents of the pot are going to be at or around the boiling point of water
I'm not trying to be autistic, but the boiling point here is actually going to be over 212°, right, because salt raises the boiling point? How much do the other solutes involved in a stew raise it?

I agree there's something bigger going on, but maybe that could be part of the puzzle?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What size are they? Cook from frozen, but the temperature depends on how big they are. 350 for big ones, 375 or 400 for small ones.

They're triangles, about 3" on their hypotenuse and 2" on their short sides.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SubG posted:

I mean at this stage I'd say just put a probe thermometer or use an instant read to figure out what the stew temperature is. Maybe we're just having some confusion of what constitutes a simmer (which will actually start well below boiling temperature).

This is likely what it is I think, I was looking for just gentle bubbling and didn't see any until getting the oven to temps upwards of ~350F. I didn't think to probe the stew but I can certainly do that next time. Could there be another reason then why the meat simply wasn't even close to being done in the time suggested (for either recipe)? Size of the chunks was correct, could it have anything to do with searing time/temp? Anything else?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

They're triangles, about 3" on their hypotenuse and 2" on their short sides.

Try 375 for I don't know, 12 to 25 minutes? Test one out and experiment with the rest. Or ask the person at the counter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not trying to be autistic, but the boiling point here is actually going to be over 212°, right, because salt raises the boiling point? How much do the other solutes involved in a stew raise it?

I agree there's something bigger going on, but maybe that could be part of the puzzle?
Nah. I mean yeah, 212 F is pure water, but the boiling point doesn't change that much. Like a 5% brine, which is 50 g of salt per litre of water, boils at about 101 C instead of 100 C, which is about 214 F, and a saturated brine boils at around 108 C/226 F. And simmering actually starts around 180, 190 F (again, for pure water and depending on what you want to call a simmer).

So realistically that effect is going to be smaller than, e.g., the fact that you're actually cooking poo poo in the liquid. That is: imagine that we're bringing a pot of stock up to a boil and then dumping a straight-from-the-freezer pot roast into it, and then putting that straight into a preheated oven. Then the meat is probably cooling down the stock faster than the air in the oven can bring it back up to temperature, and so you'd have a period where you'd have a pot of stew in the oven that was significantly below 212 F (plus whatever fudge factor you want for the stuff in the stock) even if the oven was at 375 F.

But that's a crazy corner case, and if you've got a bunch of wee hunks of something that were sitting on the stove getting warmed at the same time the stock was coming up to a simmer, then this effect will be much smaller---you're dealing with smaller chunks of stuff that wasn't as cold to start out with---and they'll start approximating the temperature of the cooking liquid pretty rapidly.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Could there be another reason then why the meat simply wasn't even close to being done in the time suggested (for either recipe)? Size of the chunks was correct, could it have anything to do with searing time/temp? Anything else?
I guess anything's possible, but I doubt it.

When in doubt, collect more data.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

The contents of the pot are going to be at or around the boiling point of water, assuming the temperature in the oven is at or above that temperature (mod some fudge factor due to inefficiency in heat transfer). Oven at 250? Stew's at 212. Oven at 300? Stew's at 212. Oven at 500? Stew's at 212. So the only way it's not simmering in a 375 F oven is either it isn't actually an oven at 375 but is in fact much cooler (and therefore the stew isn't simmering because it is below 212) or the pressure in the pot is crazy (and so the contents of the pot are in fact at 375 F but are still not simmering because the boiling point is higher).

The latter seems exceedingly unlikely.

I think that this may not correct. Evaporative cooling will be lowering the temperature of the water. If an oven at 375 cannot transfer heat into the water fast enough to overcome the effect of evaporative cooling, then the water will not be boiling/simmering, just like in your frozen roast beef example.

Also, my personal experience of trying to add moisture to ovens while baking bread is that even at 550, an oven doesn't really keep water at a full boil for very long at all.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Try 375 for I don't know, 12 to 25 minutes? Test one out and experiment with the rest. Or ask the person at the counter.

Thanks! My plan was basically to stick them in the oven until they looked good, I just wasn't sure about high or low temperature and thawing. So I'll try an intermediate temperature and straight from the freezer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

I think that this may not correct. Evaporative cooling will be lowering the temperature of the water. If an oven at 375 cannot transfer heat into the water fast enough to overcome the effect of evaporative cooling, then the water will not be boiling/simmering, just like in your frozen roast beef example.

Also, my personal experience of trying to add moisture to ovens while baking bread is that even at 550, an oven doesn't really keep water at a full boil for very long at all.
When you're adding water for steam for baking you're using an open container that has a lot of surface area for the amount of volume. Or at least you should be, because the rate of evaporation is proportional to surface area.

A dutch oven isn't designed this way---it has a lot of volume for the amount of surface area. And it has a lid. Which means that even when you evaporate a bunch of liquid (cooling off the remaining liquid) you're still containing and re-condensing much of it (which has the opposite effect). If you were making a tiny amount of stew (so as little volume as possible for the amount of surface area) with no lid then you'd measure the temperature of the stew to be cooler than making a normal amount of stew (more volume for the same amount of surface area) with a lid on.

In absolute terms if you look at something crazy like evaporating 25% of a litre of cooking liquid in an hour you're still just looking at around 150 watts of cooling. A typical residential stove will be running at somewhere around 2500 to 3500 watts and while it's not going to be 100% efficient, it won't be struggling to handle the evaporative cooling of a pot of stew. So in a covered pot you're still going to be looking at 212 F +/- some bullshit rounding error poo poo (water not pure water, lid not capturing 100% of evaporation, and so on). With a lid off you'll get some evaporative cooling, but that has nothing to do with the oven not being able to transfer heat fast enough (any more than boiling water staying at 212 degrees does).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I've inherited a pasta machine and attempted making dough twice with the well method and it's been a frustrating both times. I'm assuming food processor is the superior way to get the dough together before kneading?

I'm doing 2 cups flour, 3 large eggs, tbsp of olive oil, pinch of salt and it's a tough dry disaster every time. I'm at my wits end and about to give the machine back to the person who gave it to me :mad:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I always thought food processor was the easier but worse method of getting dough together compared to the traditional mix well with fingertips/fork deal

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

wormil posted:

Chop them up, add 3.5% salt by weight, put in a jar to ferment until you can't stand to wait any longer. Then puree and enjoy.

These lids make it a lot easier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYM653J/

I have never heard of those lids, and as an avid maker of hot sauce and pickled things, you have just blown my mind. (Also I'm chuckling at the fact that they're the same shade of Hulk green as your amusing av)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

I always thought food processor was the easier but worse method of getting dough together compared to the traditional mix well with fingertips/fork deal

Welp, I guess I just had to vent. I retried with a cup of flour, 1 egg, 1 yolk, salt, olive oil and it came together perfect after 7 minuets of kneading. I have no idea if this is enough dough for 2 people but hooray, I did it!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

So I've inherited a pasta machine and attempted making dough twice with the well method and it's been a frustrating both times. I'm assuming food processor is the superior way to get the dough together before kneading?

I'm doing 2 cups flour, 3 large eggs, tbsp of olive oil, pinch of salt and it's a tough dry disaster every time. I'm at my wits end and about to give the machine back to the person who gave it to me :mad:

Add a tablespoon of water if it's too dry. You can always work in extra flour while kneading if you have too. I do it in the food processor with more flour than I need, and when I pull the ball to knead by hand, the extra flour stays behind.

And of course, rest it for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before you attempt to roll, but preferably an hour. If it isn't rested it will fall the gently caress apart when you try to roll it. And make sure you knead until it's smooth and almost leathery/plasticy feeling before you rest it.

edit: Adding an egg yolk is also a good option. More egg yolks are always a good thing. I think Thomas Keller's pasta recipe is all egg yolks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks all. It's on the counter resting wrapped in plastic. I didn't realize the fridge is a better option. I'll do a second half hour in there since I'm not in a rush.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was going to tell you to add more eggs. I use 1 egg for every 100g of flour, not sure how much a cup of flour would actually weigh in grams, it depends on density and how you pack it in there.
I’ve never liked using cup measures for baking recipes, too much variation in volume.
Also get tipo 00 flour for pasta dough if you can and use the freshest highest quality eggs you can get.
Glad you got it sorted out and yes, rest your dough in the fridge.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The pasta turned out pretty well. But the Marcella Hazan red sauce did not refrigerate well. Should have done cacio y Pepe instead. Lesson learned.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've got a growing interest in cooking, especially grilling, and I'd like to learn how to make some sauces. I've looked up a few different barbecue sauce recipes, but they're usually spicy. I like spicy food (but can't eat it much anymore, as I dislike the indigestion it gives me), but nobody else in the family does.

Does anyone have a recipe for a good, smoky barbecue sauce?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Leavemywife posted:

I've got a growing interest in cooking, especially grilling, and I'd like to learn how to make some sauces. I've looked up a few different barbecue sauce recipes, but they're usually spicy. I like spicy food (but can't eat it much anymore, as I dislike the indigestion it gives me), but nobody else in the family does.

St Louis style might be to your liking.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/st-louis-barbecue-sauce-333727

A half teaspoon of cayenne shouldn't mess anyone's system up in that much sauce, and can be omitted to if you're that sensitive to spice.

e: I personally don't care for this method, especially since I grill with charcoal so it gets smoky enough by cooking, but if you're using a smokeless grill and want that smoky flavor you can substitute the water for liquid smoke.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 9, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have never heard of those lids, and as an avid maker of hot sauce and pickled things, you have just blown my mind. (Also I'm chuckling at the fact that they're the same shade of Hulk green as your amusing av)

Lol. I was worried because they are cheap but they work perfectly. I've had cabbage and peppers (separate jars) sitting on my counter for 2 months, no mold, no burping.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Bluedeanie posted:

St Louis style might be to your liking.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/st-louis-barbecue-sauce-333727

A half teaspoon of cayenne shouldn't mess anyone's system up in that much sauce, and can be omitted to if you're that sensitive to spice.

e: I personally don't care for this method, especially since I grill with charcoal so it gets smoky enough by cooking, but if you're using a smokeless grill and want that smoky flavor you can substitute the water for liquid smoke.

That recipe looks pretty good. As a heads up, liquid smoke is intensely strong stuff. Like, 1/8th of a teaspoon in that much sauce would be more than plenty. Please do not put 1/2cup in.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Chinese thread is kinda dead. I need a good sauce to finish a stir fry of onions broccoli beef and carrots.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Captainsalami posted:

Chinese thread is kinda dead. I need a good sauce to finish a stir fry of onions broccoli beef and carrots.
Like 2:1 oyster sauce to soy, pinch of sugar. Stock and cornstarch if that's how you roll. I assume you're also throwing in ginger + garlic, or are you asking for a complete recipe?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have an Instapot and the steam release valve seems really loose and is quite hard to put on. I haven’t been able to find anything online to properly put it on. There doesn’t seem to be an actual placement or setting for it. Any suggestions?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

SubG posted:

Like 2:1 oyster sauce to soy, pinch of sugar. Stock and cornstarch if that's how you roll. I assume you're also throwing in ginger + garlic, or are you asking for a complete recipe?

For me a good stir fry is throwing whatever is on hand or on sale in the wok and topping with a good sauce. Thanks goon sir.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

obi_ant posted:

I have an Instapot and the steam release valve seems really loose and is quite hard to put on. I haven’t been able to find anything online to properly put it on. There doesn’t seem to be an actual placement or setting for it. Any suggestions?

It just slides on in the open position. One setting for open, one for closed. It's designed to be somewhat loose so it is the point of failure in case of too much pressure.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the recipe and advice, guys. That sauce sounds like my jam.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Favorite chicken marinades that don't rely on balsamic vinegar or lots of mustard? My husband doesn't like sour stuff. (Which meant more for me this week.)

The 3-2-1 yogurt citrus marinade going around has worked out really well-- lime was especially tasty. (1 C yogurt, 1 citrus fruit zested & juiced & the other sliced on the cooking chicken (so 2 citruses), 3 cloves minced garlic)

Open to all cuisine types.

I ate Italian dressing marinated chicken every week in college so I'm OK never eating that again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

effika posted:

Favorite chicken marinades that don't rely on balsamic vinegar or lots of mustard? My husband doesn't like sour stuff. (Which meant more for me this week.)

The 3-2-1 yogurt citrus marinade going around has worked out really well-- lime was especially tasty. (1 C yogurt, 1 citrus fruit zested & juiced & the other sliced on the cooking chicken (so 2 citruses), 3 cloves minced garlic)

I ate Italian dressing marinated chicken every week in college so I'm OK never eating that again.

Maybe teriyaki or harissa or adobo or chipotle or a dry rub or skip the marinades in general and do something like 40 clove chicken or thee cup chicken or chicken tinga

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

effika posted:

I usually do a marinade of

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce (not Kikkoman, it's too salty)
2 tbsp lemon juice

Then whatever spices you like. I usually use a tablespoon of each, typically onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, maybe some cumin, then some salt and pepper. Whisk it all together nice and good, then let your chicken marinade overnight.

It's nothing fancy and probably pretty basic to most people interested in cooking, but I'll be damned if me and my family don't enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

My favorite is the Memphis style from Serious Eats

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/05/sauced-memphis-style-barbecue-sauce.html?ref=title

You could add a splash of liquid smoke if you want it smokier.