Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Paradox doesn't have the punch buff that makes the EP shotgun so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i will shoot the guns when the new expansion comes out

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Paradox doesn't have the punch buff that makes the EP shotgun so good.

rampage doesn't even come close to the damage output of trench barrel and you dont have to have adds or waste ammo to access it. not even close to the same league

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m booting up D2 for the first time since the end of last year. I hear the game’s had some big changes, can someone give me a rundown on anything really worth checking out right now? I don’t have the season pass but I’m gonna get the package with all the stuff in it when I get paid in a week (if it’s out, I dunno if it is.)

Mazerunner posted:

Each one added a new planet, story missions, pvp maps, strikes and raid lair. CoO's planet sucks, Warmind's is good. The stories for both are pretty meh. The strikes are good, but there's a thing where you do stripped down 'solo' versions of them as part of the story. The raid lairs are 'short' raids, like shorter than Crota, assuming you're not wiping or w/e a bunch. CoO's (eater of worlds) is great, with a super fun boss. Warmind's (spire of stars) is less great, with a high power level and intricate mechanics.

Curse has a grind/weapon chase in the form of the prophecy weapons. Basically you farm chests and pvp and strikes for doodads and turn the doodads into weapons. Kind of bleh.

Warmind has some chases too, like finding gubbins for an exotic or getting 'keys' from doing stuff on mars to open chests. I dunno man. Warmind also has escalation protocol, where you fight waves of increasingly difficult Hive on mars. Defeating the final boss gives a chance at some great weapons, and you can get neat looking armour. It's in public zones, kind of like court of oryx, and seems designed for 9 people maybe, so getting a group together is kind of hard.

There were also a bunch of patches and balance passes. A bunch of exotics got buffed, some subclasses got kicked into shape. Arcstrider hunters are now incredibly good, in both pve and pvp. Dawnblade warlocks are much better now and got some changes to their perks. Graviton Lance and Vigilance Wing are dominant in pvp. Syncocepts and Doombreakers got buffed, turned hammer titans into dps machines and made shield titans pretty fun/viable in some circumstances. I think movespeed and ability recharge rates got slightly buffed in general. There was a vault space increase. Snipers got a big damage buff, they return as kings of boss dps.

Nightfalls don't fail you at time completion. They now have a scoring system (score starts going down if you take too long), so if you just want to finish you can, but if you want the score you gotta go fast. You get get an item from Xur that lets you choose modifiers and handicaps for the prestige nightfall. There are emblems that showcase your score for each nightfall. Each nightfall has a unique loot (some are cosmetic, some are decent/good weapons), and getting high scores helps with the drop rate in some way, but no one knows by exactly how much). They added some modifiers to heroic strikes. They removed Exodus Crash from heroic strikes/nightfall rotation.

Eververse is generally less of a pain. There are more cosmetic rewards in-game now (CoO had a cool exotic ghost shell, Warmind an exotic sparrow), not just mtx stuff. Bungie unfucked their xp throttling, during events you get double rewards for levelling up (the usual box + event box), and they experimented with an item that you could get free once a week and use to obtain an Eververse item you hadn't gotten yet, from a changing weekly selection. So after a few weeks/months you were almost guaranteed to get nearly everything, for free, although they've discontinued that now, to update or w/e for Forsaken.

There is now a weekend 'event', involving a secret mission on Io that will net you a returning black hammer/spindle, in a very difficult timed mission, like the lost to light secret end in D1 that got you the spindle. Very good poo poo, well worth doing, great music.

Oh yeah some general pvp changes: 6v6, general score/time changes, how you capture flags. Rumble is back permanently, supremacy got removed from quickplay and is now brought in on weekly rotation. There's sort of a... ranking? but not really for quickplay and competitive. Basically the quickplay number goes up and never down, competitive can go down when you lose. But it doesn't match you with people at the same level so it means nothing. Getting high enough competitive number lets you buy a neat pulse rifle. I dunno.

The faction rally got changed too but it's still a grind.

At some point masterworking got added, basically you 'upgrade' a weapon, it now gets a small stat boost, tracks kills, and generates orbs on double kills. Same with armour, it gives damage reduction when in super. This might change in forsaken?

Exotic catalysts got added too, for most weapons. They have a chance at dropping when doing the right activity (ie. some drop from pvp, some from raids, some from strikes, some just from kills in general, etc). You apply it to the weapon, then have to complete the requirements (generally just a poo poo ton of kills), and then you get a big stat boost or another perk or something. A big grind but some are really worth doing. Like graviton lance gets a range boost, vigilance wing gets full auto.

this doesn't include any upcoming changes in Forsaken

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You can tickle fingers other supers pretty effectively if you kite them. There's a sweet spot where your lightning will still hit and you can make them miss. Pretty satisfying against hammers or arc staff.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Looking at Curse of Osiris from a first time experience like 'this is just a small destination planet with a few quests and some Vex to shoot', Curse is ok

Looking at it as the first 'expansion' after the D2 launch, man people must have been loving pissed :v:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Mr. WTF posted:

It's literally nearly identical to the EP shotty.

Lmao they are absolutely nowhere near each other, in any way aside from both being shotguns.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Curse of Osiris introduced a whole new generation of PC gamers to Bungie in a big way lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 10, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

victrix posted:

Looking at it as the first 'expansion' after the D2 launch, man people must have been loving pissed :v:

I straight up stopped playing the game over it because it was so loving lame. I was already on the way out the door at that point because the game before that was also super lame, but Osiris was the last straw. Like the DLC came out, and my last played time was the next day. I didn't start the game back up until the hype for Forsaken began.

(and I still haven't preordered anything, you fooled me last time Bungie)

edit - https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/guardian/1/4611686018433467294 :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mazerunner posted:

this doesn't include any upcoming changes in Forsaken

Cool, thanks!

Is there any package that is the season pass and Forsaken but doesn’t have D2 itself packaged in, or is my best deal gonna be preordering it for 48 bucks from prime?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best deal is to wait a week after launch and find out if the game is worth two shits before spending more money on it.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
double post sorry

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Lmao they are absolutely nowhere near each other, in any way aside from both being shotguns.

Yeah not at all like eachother
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-HwTfaNxU&t=553s

They do nearly identical DPS and full mag damage and both are full auto. Having to kill an ad (one shot) vs. punch something is not really "nowhere near eachother." I guess TB makes the EP better, until next week when PP is still void (hopefully).

Mr. WTF fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 9, 2018

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

victrix posted:

Looking at Curse of Osiris from a first time experience like 'this is just a small destination planet with a few quests and some Vex to shoot', Curse is ok

It was like that for D1, so anyone who played that is familiar with their content schedule, which seems to be Launch > Mini-DLC 1 > Mini-DLC 2 > Big DLC > Medium DLC > some more minor content stuff.

Speaking of which, what's the best place to find raid teams for D1 nowadays? I got to it pretty late (PS4) so I never got the chance to do a lot of the endgame content.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
plz hold as i waste time and ammo but can be done faster, with no ammo and more damage on something else

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Bonk posted:

It was like that for D1, so anyone who played that is familiar with their content schedule, which seems to be Launch > Mini-DLC 1 > Mini-DLC 2 > Big DLC > Medium DLC > some more minor content stuff.

Speaking of which, what's the best place to find raid teams for D1 nowadays? I got to it pretty late (PS4) so I never got the chance to do a lot of the endgame content.

Discord

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Osiris was dogshit because it added a bunch of really easy story missions and kind of boasted a new area that was going to be randomly generated that is just dumb and bad.

It also kind of brought in the shittiest pvp maps in the rotation and long rear end strikes.

Warmind was good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BlindSite posted:

Osiris was dogshit because it added a bunch of really easy story missions and kind of boasted a new area that was going to be randomly generated that is just dumb and bad.

It also kind of brought in the shittiest pvp maps in the rotation and long rear end strikes.

Warmind was good.

What, you didn't enjoy doing the Infinite Forest for every single mission, strike, and adventure? Going through the IF 20+ times wasn't new and exciting for you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If the weapon slot changes are perfectly clear to you, you haven't given it enough thought yet.

Guarantee Bungie doesn't even know yet and they're still trying to figure out how to balance 1HitKill green ammo (for 4 years running)

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Mr. WTF posted:

It's literally nearly identical to the EP shotty.

Why do people keep saying stupid poo poo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's under a month until a big expansion, so a bunch of Out Of The Loop folks are coming back to the thread to post wrong things.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CheeseFactory posted:

Why do people keep saying stupid poo poo

I mean

That's basically the essence of Destiny in one line

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

victrix posted:

Lowest point in franchise history.

Some days i would log on to find 1 friend o line.

Now i always have a couple of pages

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

victrix posted:

I mean

That's basically the essence of Destiny in one line

[Insert literally any line of dialog from Ghost, Hawthorne, Sagira or Osiris here]

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

This week's TWAB is out. There's a fuckton of new Forsaken info.

Highlights:
- Decide what element you want on your Y1 energy/heavies now and switch to that on your gun, cause on Aug 28 those guns will be locked into that element forever in your inventory.
- IKELOS Shotty and Sniper are going to be forced solar, I guess to prevent booping.
- No Trials at all for the entirety of S4. They need to figure out how to make it not terrible again.
- Every week will have 3 Nightfalls to pick from, so you can grind the specific one you want easier without having to wait for the rotation. Also no more Prestige Nightfall
- No more Heroic Strikes. There's a 300, 400, and 500 strike playlist. Once your character is 40+ above a playlist, it disappears forever, so you have to play the most competitive one you can.
- There will be Heroic daily missions again
- The same modifiers will be used everyday across Heroic Adventures, Heroic Daily, and strikes
- All planet tokens are going away, there's just mats only. Lots of legendaries will require specific planet mats to infuse now.
- You will get better powerful engrams depending on how far below the recommended level you were when you did a thing. So if you do a raid 40+ below, you'll get a higher level powerful than the guy who did it at recommended.
- All exotic engrams are now at least 1 power level above your level.
- Faction rallies are gone until further notice, they haven't decided yet how you'll get the catalysts you missed from them.
- Eververse is getting bounties, they will award Bright Dust. Must spend a "bounty note" to get a bounty from Eververse. You get 1 note a week. There's 3 tiers of bounties, each tier costs more notes but gives more dust on completion.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 10, 2018

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
TRIALS IS CANCELED

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

qbert posted:

- No Trials at all for the entirety of S4. They need to figure out how to make it not terrible again.

Trials basically killed the game for my group at launch so... Good. (I mean, systemic issues with pvp and the game at large obviously, but when finishing flawless makes your whole team quit playing you know something is really, really hosed)

quote:

- All planet tokens are going away, there's just mats only. Lots of legendaries will require specific planet mats to infuse now.

:stonklol:

... Said group was making jokes last night about them including something this stupid

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

quote:

Starting in Season 4, Iron Banner will be updated to enable Power level advantages, like in the days of old. All players of Destiny 2, regardless of expansion ownership, can participate in Iron Banner events. Year 2 rewards, featuring random rolls and compatibility with Year 2 modifications, will also be available to all players. Players who acquire new Power during their adventures in Forsaken will have an advantage, but we don’t want to exclude anyone who wants to compete in Iron Banner and reap the rewards. Iron Banner rewards will be capped for legacy players at their maximum Power available.

So there will be some non Forsaken scrubs running 200 LL below everyone else in IB.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are there any noteworthy guns to lock to a specific element?

I guess it depends on the raid content we get but I'm sure some of you spergs already have a good idea what to do.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you didn't play y1 d1 and fully upgrade legendary armor/weapons you don't get to have an opinion on this.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Also the following guns are becoming kinetic, don't waste your elemental mods:

Baligant
Shepherd’s Watch
Hawthorne’s Field-Forged Shotgun
Alone as a God
Perfect Paradox
The Frigid Jackal
Silicon Neuroma

I'm sad Paradox is going elementless, how will I honor Saint-14's memory if it isn't void?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

victrix posted:

... Said group was making jokes last night about them including something this stupid
Why is it stupid? I don't understand. Tokens were always dumb. Why am I finding Chuck E Cheese coins in the forgotten chest of an ancient space temple? Are they candy medallions the wascally Fallen stole from Devrim's fridge? They should have always been mats.

And making specific planet mats needed for upgrades gives people a reason to go to every planet once in a while and keeps them populated. Needing to go to certain places for certain mats is standard for every RPG/RPG-ish game and even if they're not making a full on crafting system, it's good the mats are actually needed for something other than just dumping into a talking slot machine.

Tokens were always dumb for anything but maybe events like IB or crucible and I'm glad they're being dumped

Roman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 10, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wow I'm glad my thousands of tokens are going POOF so that people can roleplay better with Nessus CerebroGuffins

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you can still turn them in for rep you just don't get new ones

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

qbert posted:

- You will get better powerful engrams depending on how far below the recommended level you were when you did a thing. So if you do a raid 40+ below, you'll get a higher level powerful than the guy who did it at recommended.

This also sounds stupid as gently caress

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roman posted:

Why is it stupid? I don't understand. Tokens were always dumb. Why am I finding Chuck E Cheese coins in the forgotten chest of an ancient space temple? Are they candy medallions the wascally Fallen stole from Devrim's fridge? They should have always been mats.

And making specific planet mats needed for upgrades gives people a reason to go to every planet once in a while and keeps them populated. Needing to go to certain places for certain mats is standard for every RPG/RPG-ish game and even if they're not making a full on crafting system, it's good the mats are actually needed for something other than just dumping into a talking slot machine.

Tokens were always dumb for anything but maybe events like IB or crucible and I'm glad they're being dumped

It's not the token part at all, don't care about those, it's exactly the forcing people to planets to farm spinmetal part that we were talking about

Fun Things in Destiny:

[X] Shooting Dudes
[X] Shootin More Dudes
[ ] Harvesting Spinmetal in an efficient loop to power up your gun so you can shoot dudes

Now if they're smart and give you bundles of planetary materials for doing other stuff on that planet (pvp/strikes set on that planet), or let you exchange some other resource for them (glitter etc), cool.

Bungie, being smart, will surely include some such method.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you didn't play y1 d1 and fully upgrade legendary armor/weapons you don't get to have an opinion on this.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also planetary challenges are now gonna reward planetary mats

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Any time I see a reference to "buhhh-buh-but in DESTINY ONE..." I know I can skip the rest of the post because it's gonna be dumb

It's always an excuse for why it's OK that something is still bad or became bad.

How about just stop making things be Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm ok with planetary mats going back to basically what they were in D1, and tokens going away