Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Crossposting some xenomorphage

richyp posted:

Made a start on the Acolytes tonight, here's Mr Whippy with his less and more human looking buds.

And on his lonesome.

Base needs doing, purples need tidying up, and skin needs more highlights. But I think the colours work across the different models.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Your genestealer cult looks excellent! Such a great balance of contrasting vibrant colors - that's gotta be hard to do.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

a7m2 posted:

What's the best way to achieve this look? I heard gray often looks boring on models so I want to avoid that while still using this really nice looking scheme.

Color modulation. There's not a single flat gray color on it, it's blended with the shadows pretty seamlessly. Along with sharp edge highlights the gray looks very crisp. I wouldn't try this on a model that size without an airbrush.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

Is Liquitex stuff in a dropper bottle? I'll look out for Purple Tone if not but i'm trying to diversify my paint range a little bit.

Yeah. It's in glass bottles with droppers and is pretty drat cheap.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I painted some dudes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dude is good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Booley posted:

I painted some dudes.

Looks like he's wearing an 80's workout outfit.

Let's purge heresy, heresy.
I wanna purge heresy, let's purge all the heresy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like he's wearing an 80's workout outfit.

Let's purge heresy, heresy.
I wanna purge heresy, let's purge all the heresy.
"...let me hear your bolter talk!"

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, I have primer, a Reaper Learn to Paint kit, the miniatures it comes with and a can do attitude.

I also live in Missouri where the humidity is about 130%. (76%, right this moment, actually)

Am I going to be ok if I run outside real quick and do it? Indoors is not an option.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Saxophone posted:

Alright, I have primer, a Reaper Learn to Paint kit, the miniatures it comes with and a can do attitude.

I also live in Missouri where the humidity is about 130%. (76%, right this moment, actually)

Am I going to be ok if I run outside real quick and do it? Indoors is not an option.

If you let everything chill for a while (12 hours is what I've heard) and get everything ready and basically do a "step outside -> spray -> back inside" sorta deal then you should be good. Beware the heat though, if you spray from too far away the paint's going to partially dry before it hits the model and you'll get a fuzzy texture (which may or may not be desirable depending on the model). If that happens and you hate it, bring the can closer and shorten your bursts.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Booley posted:

I painted some dudes.

The weathering looks really good, save for the helmet. It looks like bits of the paint chipped off from the face.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saxophone posted:

Find something you can test the spray on. Pill bottle, plastic spoon, whatever.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booley posted:

I painted some dudes.

I like the sword, very neat and clean highlights.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Finished up another 2 dudes today and still had my camera set up:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Booley posted:

Finished up another 2 dudes today and still had my camera set up:

Looks tops. Weathering is on point for some siege lads.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Saxophone posted:

Reaper claims its paints work on bones miniatures without primer so you could give that a shot :shrug:

I've had mixed luck with the "run outside and do it real quick" option. I'd recommend black or grey primer, as opposed to white, if you try this option. White primer tends to be a lot more finicky.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Am I ultra hosed if I picked up VMA black grey instead if VMC for my Deathwatch? I don’t remember my VMA gold being this thin.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

PantsOptional posted:

Am I ultra hosed if I picked up VMA black grey instead if VMC for my Deathwatch? I don’t remember my VMA gold being this thin.

I've painted with VMA before (don't own an Airbrush, don't ask) but they're about as thin as I'd mix VMC to anyway, so it should be fine.

EDIT: Something, Something Duncan, Something, Something, Two Thin Coats

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PantsOptional posted:

I brush paint with VMA. I love it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
VMA is just a less economical and more convenient mix of VMC/VGC.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bucnasti posted:

VMA is just a less economical and more convenient mix of VMC/VGC.

Yup. I could make my own, but laziness reigns.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I find VMA/VMC to be far less durable than VGC, but if you are using some sort of varnish to seal and protect the miniature you've got nothing to worry about.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saxophone posted:

wait man, you can't use primer on reaper bones

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You can use some primers. It's best to test out the primer though, since some formulations will be eternally-tacky (or just avoid it and put on a thick coat of regular ol' paint).

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Vallejo primers work fine on Bones as long as you’re brushing/airbrushing it on. You should probably hose it off first to get rid of any grease or dirt though, some of the pre-assembled ones can be nasty depending on whoever they have handling them in production.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Hey all, bought an airbrush and compressor today

My shop didn’t have any tamiya paint+primer so they sold me acrylic paint and told me to use it at 50/50 with the lacquer thinner to act as a primer and then apply a much less thinned base coat after 24 hours

I did that and didn’t blow my house up but here is what it looks. Is this normal?

https://imgur.com/a/nVxGkDC

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So the Tactical Blood Angels I ordered ended up getting cancelled by the seller (guess they were out of stock), so I was thinking about maybe going down to the GW store near me and buying the $85 Getting Started Blood Angels set, along with a can of the Mephiston Red spray to quickly prime and paint them (so I can cut directly to doing the details). However, I'm having reservations about it, mostly with the cost.

I still need to finish the Guardians and orcs, but I had been planning on going to Hobby Town to try and get some additional paints color to help with that. I had also been looking to see what Vallejo colors I could substitute for the recommended Citadel colors.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 11, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to say that you should paint what you have before you buy new models, but I also know that nobody, including myself, actually follows that advice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm going to say that you should paint what you have before you buy new models, but I also know that nobody, including myself, actually follows that advice.

Yeah, maybe I'll hold off for now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hahah, yes, paint what you have first.

No one look in my closet. Ignore the teeming army of thousands of unpainted 1/72 soldiers.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can use some primers. It's best to test out the primer though, since some formulations will be eternally-tacky (or just avoid it and put on a thick coat of regular ol' paint).

So they're all Chaos Black and drying as of like 7 hours ago. I was reading that you can, but you don't have to? I suppose it's nothing I can't strip off with alcohol if I need to, but bloody hell. I suppose I'll come back with a trip report when I try painting them tomorrow. These are my first ones, so I'm not -super- invested in them, so if I warcrime them, I warcrime them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There's a reaper bones thread somewhere, and it has a link to a super detailed post on the reaper forums about all the different priming products and which ones work and which ones don't. As I recall Army Painter spray primer was among the best, and I used it up until I started using Vallejo as a brush on.

Even though you don't need to prime them I prefer to do it because it makes it easier to see details and apply washes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

There's a reaper bones thread somewhere, and it has a link to a super detailed post on the reaper forums about all the different priming products and which ones work and which ones don't. As I recall Army Painter spray primer was among the best, and I used it up until I started using Vallejo as a brush on.

Even though you don't need to prime them I prefer to do it because it makes it easier to see details and apply washes.

Yeah, I was at a store that had a ton of Reaper figures, and I had the thought to apply a wash or something before hand to make out the details better.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Saxophone posted:

So they're all Chaos Black and drying as of like 7 hours ago. I was reading that you can, but you don't have to? I suppose it's nothing I can't strip off with alcohol if I need to, but bloody hell. I suppose I'll come back with a trip report when I try painting them tomorrow. These are my first ones, so I'm not -super- invested in them, so if I warcrime them, I warcrime them.

If they're fully dried and don't feel weird and sticky they're fine. Some sprays the solvents/propellants react with the bonesium and it becomes near perpetually tacky.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In general, can rattle cans without propellant be recycled normally? I just realized I have a shelf full of old cans from over the years.

I've checked the local website for my town and the recycling firm didn't mention anything about it.

EDIT: Double checked and yes they can.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost!

Two Beans posted:

Some pix of recently completed paint jobs.

First off, two Vindicator Laser Destroyers.

Then my Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour that I finished today.

And here's a still from my Chaos Lord's upcoming debut rap video

I'm gonna try to get a shot of all the completed Lost Sons soon for Army August.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm looking on GW's site, but I can't find that Thousand Sons Chaos Lord. Is that an old model, or is it some sort of kit-bashing thing?

Also, how do you do the dirt along the bottom of the tanks? Is that just dry-brushing?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I'm looking on GW's site, but I can't find that Thousand Sons Chaos Lord. Is that an old model, or is it some sort of kit-bashing thing?

He's a Thousand Sons Legion Praetor that I gave a combi-plasma to.

quote:

Also, how do you do the dirt along the bottom of the tanks? Is that just dry-brushing?

Agrax Earthshade wash > Typhus Corrosion technical paint > drybrush Zandri Dust > drybrush Tyrant Skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Could anyone recommend an alternative to Zandri Dust undercoast spray in north america (canada). I need an equivalent spray for my Kill Team terrain. Thanks.