Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

What happens at the end of Mass Effect 3 and why we're people disappointed? I will never play these games so feel free to be as spoilerific as possible.

The game basically leads up to a huge war but ends with the player picking from three options for what ending they wanted:

A) Let bad guys win, everyone dies and cycle starts again.
B) Kill bad guys but it will separate all the species forever
C) Do the fusion dance and merge living life with computers or something like that.

Overall they are not bad endings exactly since before finishing the game I guessed to myself how it could possible end and those were basically the three scenarios I figured could happen.

The problem is that these ending are baked in while the game makes a big fuss throughout about uniting all the different races into a single fighting force to win. In the end it doesn't matter if
Shepard gets everyone working together or pisses everyone off. The end is the same.

People were disappointed because they were expecting something like the final mission in ME 2 where the outcome depended heavily on acquiring upgrades for the Normandy and building up your relation
with your squad mates. And also some people were mad because they wanted another option where Shepard singly handily saved the universe by him/herself and everyone lived happily ever after.

Also in the original version the cinematics between the various endings were pretty much identical with just a color filter tossed over them to make them look different. They later patched them to make them look a bit different but it didn't help that much.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Deus Ex: Human revolution ending selector was equally hilarious: the three normal endings are selected via three different buttons on a computer table, with the "secret" ending down a nearby hallway on a different computer table.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeza posted:

The sooner we move away from anything that resembles garbage points-based, roll-based choice systems the better. Game narratives might upgrade from hack D&D campaign schlock to children's CYOA book which is probably still a flat-out improvement.

Games mostly already have CYOA elements, e.g. if you choose faction A then you can't choose faction B and poo poo like that

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

Games mostly already have CYOA elements, e.g. if you choose faction A then you can't choose faction B and poo poo like that

I wish Tyranny wasnt so short/there being combat trees that are just flat out loving useless. Poison is never a useful skill in any rpg :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vakal posted:

The game basically leads up to a huge war but ends with the player picking from three options for what ending they wanted:

C) Do the fusion dance and merge living life with computers or something like that.

Overall they are not bad endings exactly since before finishing the game I guessed to myself how it could possible end and those were basically the three scenarios I figured could happen.

The problem is that these ending are baked in while the game makes a big fuss throughout about uniting all the different races into a single fighting force to win. In the end it doesn't matter if
Shepard gets everyone working together or pisses everyone off. The end is the same.

People were disappointed because they were expecting something like the final mission in ME 2 where the outcome depended heavily on acquiring upgrades for the Normandy and building up your relation
with your squad mates. And also some people were mad because they wanted another option where Shepard singly handily saved the universe by him/herself and everyone lived happily ever after.

Also in the original version the cinematics between the various endings were pretty much identical with just a color filter tossed over them to make them look different. They later patched them to make them look a bit different but it didn't help that much.

I mean this sounds bad but is VERY typical for WRPGs. Deus Ex and Bethesda Fallouts come to mind.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

unpopular opinion: The Institute is the unquestionable good guy of F4

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

1redflag posted:

The Deus Ex: Human revolution ending selector was equally hilarious: the three normal endings are selected via three different buttons on a computer table, with the "secret" ending down a nearby hallway on a different computer table.

It was way, way worse than even the original ME3 ending. It was a pretty high-profile game too, released at a similar time, and there was hardly any crying about it at all in comparison. Goes to show the difference in nerd calibre in making shrill whining.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, kinda. My point is a little bit weird, but it's more to do with like: you can look ahead and cheat in a CYOA book to see what happens on page 69. But you'll still not know the full consequences of your actions and it will take you places that you wouldn't have got to if you'd gone to page 420.

Most games treat choices as simple immediate cause and effect or delayed cause and effect, meaning that you can always cheat (as it were) and see the exact consequences for what you do on a linear narrative. A game with CYOA elements should ideally have several strands that weave in and out. You don't even need to go super bold and have a whole loving double narrative like Witcher 2 does, because as somebody said before, that doubles your workload.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

1redflag posted:

pyf jumped down my throat once for saying this and several posters kept claiming that the ending choice for DX1 boiled down to three buttons as well and it was the most ridiculous reductivist take, i couldn't believe it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

all video games are time sinks

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Verisimilidude posted:

all video games are time sinks

this is not an opinion, this is a fact

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Games with multiple endings are bad because unless it's really really good, I won't bother to replay the entire game to get the "good/optimal" ending

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Instead of whittling bird houses I like to romance space bros

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wish Tyranny wasnt so short/there being combat trees that are just flat out loving useless. Poison is never a useful skill in any rpg :(

I was shocked when I realized I had just beat the game. You spend the whole game making choices and alliances that seemingly matter, but then there's two fairly easy fights with no real build up to speak of, and boom, you won the game.

The magic system was cool though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also how they seemingly had an indoctrination subplot in 3 with Shepard they just abandoned, that would have made some things (like the illusive man being a paragon option) make a gently caress ton more sense.

All the the endings were the same and lovely, and instead of being open to dialogue the writers handled it pretty badly. That's why you still hear people saying the Citadel dlc is the only saving grace of three, because it was written after the fact.

Or, and just hear me out, that subplot never existed in the first place.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Minecraft is some boring bullshit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh also Jade Empire was the best bioware game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like Minecraft. I haven't touched it in a couple of years though. I hear there are dolphins now.

I play Minecraft solo and completely unmodded.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean this sounds bad but is VERY typical for WRPGs. Deus Ex and Bethesda Fallouts come to mind.

Like mosts thing gamer related it got hugely blown out of proportion.

When I first heard the anger about the ME 3 ending being bad I figured it was going to be something along the lines of "it was all a simulation" or end on a massive cliff hanger.

Instead it is just a standard ending while people that invested way to much of themselves into the series were expecting something life changing I guess.

That said the Citadel DLC is really good and provides much better closure to the series than the actual ending.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

food court bailiff posted:

pyf jumped down my throat once for saying this and several posters kept claiming that the ending choice for DX1 boiled down to three buttons as well and it was the most ridiculous reductivist take, i couldn't believe it

It's the same thing as HR- there's no real buildup to the ending, you just get to pick what you want to do in the last level, that's it. It's more than pick a button, but it's not some good thing. DX1 was trash.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

When I first heard the anger about the ME 3 ending being bad I figured it was going to be something along the lines of "it was all a simulation" or end on a massive cliff hanger.

Instead it is just a standard ending while people that invested way to much of themselves into the series were expecting something life changing I guess.

That said the Citadel DLC is really good and provides much better closure to the series than the actual ending.

dude i never even played me3 and even i could tell that people weren't just upset about the ending being "standard"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

fruit on the bottom posted:

Or, and just hear me out, that subplot never existed in the first place.

What is this blasphemy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I never liked that theory. It reeked of quarian sweat desperation

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I never liked that theory. It reeked of quarian sweat desperation

Lol drat it. Tali had so many creepy fans

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

QuarkJets posted:

oh also Jade Empire was the best bioware game

This is basically true but the game was so incredibly easy to cheese.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The indoctrination theory was the best thing to come out of Mass Effect 3. I think all tbose people have moved onto pizzagate now

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

SpazmasterX posted:

This is basically true but the game was so incredibly easy to cheese.

Yeah, a horribly balanced game, with a couple of bullshit difficulty spikes and the traditional bioware moral choices, but so much fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jade Empire is a game I remember got very high scores and tons of talk what not, but after a few months of it's release nobody talks about it. It doesn't even seem to have a cult following.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

eh people still play it, there's an hd remake for iOS and presumably android and steam and whatever

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
ANdroid? do people seriously play games like that on phone? hosed up if true

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, a horribly balanced game, with a couple of bullshit difficulty spikes and the traditional bioware moral choices, but so much fun.

You can get Wolverine claws right from the start and it’s one of the better fighting styles

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

You can get Wolverine claws right from the start and it’s one of the better fighting styles

The difficulty spike I remember was the first time you fought the main boss. I remember it being harder than the rest of the game, but I also am bad at videogames.

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1027252244637528065?s=19

Oh poo poo!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

My favorite part of the open palm/closed fist system was when you meet an ancient evil ghost who would refuse to help you unless you could prove you were a follower of the closed fist path.

Normally you could bluff you way through enough that it would give you some dumb fetch quest to prove yourself, but if you had been choosing the "evil" options to everything up to that point, your character would give a nihilistic speech about the futility of life and the inevitable rendering of the world to dust to the point where even the ghost went "Holy poo poo dude, you're way more hardcore than me." and faded away.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Semi-unpopular opinion: Total War: Warhammer sucks, especially with its issues surrounding the campaign, and badly needs a balance/quality-of-life patch.

- There are dozens of CPUs and they take forever to resolve turns.

- There's a limp diplomacy system, for some reason, even though the campaign is largely Last Bastions of Good vs. Apocalyptic Evil. Boy I sure do love my allies trying to hit me up for money every three turns in return for nothing, and factions only agreeing to military alliances when they are two turns away from going extinct. Your allies get pissed at you when you have armies on their territory. That's how an alliance works, dumbasses.

- And then there's all the random ways to take attrition damage, which is basically just a point sink until you can ignore that mechanic entirely

- Once a CPU comes out dominant among its neighboring competitors, it forms a murderball army and sweeps the continent. C'mon even Civ figured this one out.

- Every faction has at least five cities too many, artificially dragging out campaigns. The amount of Norsca/Chaos tribe cities is loving ridiculous. Food doesn't grow in the arctic and they have an entire lost civilization up there. It also takes too long to siege cities.

- gently caress fighting the dwarves, seriously. Also why the gently caress are the orks like the hardest race to play

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Minecraft is some boring bullshit
does anybody play minecraft anymore? most people who played it were 8-to-14 year old boys and they're all playing fortnite now

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Vakal posted:

You're almost there, but the original options were:

A)Kill Reapers, and all synthetic life in the galaxy (only option where shepherd lives)
B)Control the Reapers, like the illusive man wanted
C)Yeah fusion dance with tech and biologic stuff basically

After they patched the ending they added:
D) Shoot the kid, leading to the ending where all space-faring sentient life straight up loses lol

The thing about all the races being separated was speculation based on the destruction of the mass relays in all endings, which was a very good point but the extended ending established that they just rebuilt them.

It was pretty clear that the story was going an entirely different direction in ME2. Whole concepts, like the dark energy stuff were dropped. I think I read somewhere the original ending was going to be about how the reapers were doing their thing to reduce the creation of entropy to preserve the universe, which to my mind makes a lot more sense than what we got, that they were doing it to stop the cycle of robots fighting their creators. Something which is directly contradicted in the text because one way or another you resolve the quarian/geth war just fine??

E: Also nothing Cerberus did made any goddamned sense, there should have been a mission where they tried to steal the crucible, to actually at least try to accomplish their stated objectives, with the illusive man being forced to activate a self destruct by his indoctrination, and you having to fight him to protect the crucible.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

- gently caress fighting the dwarves, seriously. Also why the gently caress are the orks like the hardest race to play
Orks are such poo poo, probably the worst campaign in both games.

E2: Other than Skaven

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 10, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

It did, though.

The actual ending of me3 was adequate at best, but I liked the bit where you're limping towards the final scene, all broken and battered

It's hard to overstate what giant babies people where about it, there were literal thousand page threads of whining lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Syndicate 2012 was good enough for sequels

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Semi-unpopular opinion: Total War: Warhammer sucks, especially with its issues surrounding the campaign, and badly needs a balance/quality-of-life patch.

- There are dozens of CPUs and they take forever to resolve turns.

- There's a limp diplomacy system, for some reason, even though the campaign is largely Last Bastions of Good vs. Apocalyptic Evil. Boy I sure do love my allies trying to hit me up for money every three turns in return for nothing, and factions only agreeing to military alliances when they are two turns away from going extinct. Your allies get pissed at you when you have armies on their territory. That's how an alliance works, dumbasses.

- And then there's all the random ways to take attrition damage, which is basically just a point sink until you can ignore that mechanic entirely

- Once a CPU comes out dominant among its neighboring competitors, it forms a murderball army and sweeps the continent. C'mon even Civ figured this one out.

- Every faction has at least five cities too many, artificially dragging out campaigns. The amount of Norsca/Chaos tribe cities is loving ridiculous. Food doesn't grow in the arctic and they have an entire lost civilization up there. It also takes too long to siege cities.

These are mostly just Total War problems. Total Warhammer is only saved for me with tons of style and cool fantasy poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Total War Warhammer 2 is ridiculous. Before the joining patch it was a smaller map, had fewer races, was rushed out and essentially an expansion pack and yet it somehow still managed to cost full price, run worse, and generally deliver a worse game than the first one, which i rather enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vakal posted:

ME3 was really bad in general. Like ME1 was interesting and new with genuine world building

ME3 had a guy trying to gently caress his spaceship