Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Me too, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite RPGs of all time

Yeah I get that I can buy another thing to emulate it but I want to play it on my Nintendo.

Did the other Nintendo consoles have these games right off the bat? What the hell is taking so long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently a Switch hacker found a VR mode buried in the firmware :thunk:

https://twitter.com/random666_kys/status/1027156369877749760

https://twitter.com/random666_kys/status/1027159026239459328

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rolo posted:

Yeah I get that I can buy another thing to emulate it but I want to play it on my Nintendo.

Did the other Nintendo consoles have these games right off the bat? What the hell is taking so long?

On Wii, Wii U and 3DS, they doled out VC games at a pretty lovely slow pace but at least it was something.:v:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nintendo is going to add a usb-c connected VR headset and you can use the gyro controls on the controller

it will destroy PSVR

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Housh posted:

Nintendo is going to add a usb-c connected VR headset and you can use the gyro controls on the controller

it will destroy PSVR

What about the whole "the resolution is so low that even people that don't get motion sickness will throw up" problem?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Housh posted:

it will destroy PSVR

The string about moving the console away from your head makes it sound like they're experimenting with a Google Cardboard type thing where you strap the Switch itself to your face.

Which... given the 720p 60hz display would probably not work very well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Labo VR confirmed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They would be crazy not to be thinking about VR at all, but they'd also be crazy to be angling to make the Switch their VR device

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want a Labo VR WarioWare

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lemming posted:

They would be crazy not to be thinking about VR at all, but they'd also be crazy to be angling to make the Switch their VR device

Feasible it's an os/feature being tried on altogether different hardware.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Feasible it's an os/feature being tried on altogether different hardware.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, they're clearly investigating it (as indicated by some of their patents) I just wanted to throw my two cents in on how I'm pretty drat sure people shouldn't be holding out for the Switch itself to be a VR thing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Virtual Boy had good software but bad hardware. So Nintendo just needs to make good hardware this time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s happening.jife

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Virtual Boy had good software but bad hardware. So Nintendo just needs to make good hardware this time.

Wario was pretty good on it, I'll admit.
It's me; I'm the guy that liked Red Alarm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm super excited for Nintendo to do VR stuff when they're comfortable with it, you can tell they had the sparks already with the Wii motion stuff years ago, with VR hand tracked controllers they'll be able to really accomplish what they couldn't due to hardware constraints back then

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Wario was pretty good on it, I'll admit.
It's me; I'm the guy that liked Red Alarm.

Whaddup red alarm liker. :hfive:

I really liked the Virtual Boy, granted I was a dumb teenager and got it for like $25 when they had to get em off the shelves. But I def got a whole lotta entertainment outta the thing.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Teleroboxer ruled and, while I appreciate fresh new IPs, part of me wishes ARMS was a Teleroboxer reboot.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

If Nintendo does dabble in VR, they better bring the two best Virtualboy games along.
Red Alarm and Warioland.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Important news:

Okami uses HD Rumble to let you feel Amaterasu's steps when she walks. It's amazing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Important news:

Okami uses HD Rumble to let you feel Amaterasu's steps when she walks. It's amazing.

I knew waiting for a Switch port would pay off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Switch VR will be dope. Not for the cutting edge hardware (because it isn’t) but for the cool ideas and software

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
playing Fortnite is making me like Splatoon even more. A shooter where you can land too close to someone who landed on a gun and get killed and whelp too bad back to start is lame.

Which sucks, because I really like the idea of fully destructable and constructable environment. It's a shame the idea is completely wasted in Fortnite

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

...I really like the idea of fully destructable and constructable environment. It's a shame the idea is completely wasted in Fortnite

EQ Next will be right up you alley

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I see Jackbox Party Pack 4 is on sale with 40% off. Are the games worth it?

If you and your friends have no filter, Survive The Internet is an insanely funny game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cithen posted:

EQ Next will be right up you alley

isn't that dead

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Started Okami.

You know how in, like, comic books and video games and other horny media, female characters will sometimes have a boob window in their outfit?

The first humanoid female character I saw in Okami has a butt window.

Goddamn it, Japan.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It’s okay, Hollow Knight is vastly overrated around these parts anyways

Your nerd cred will be just fine

I'd say it's rated just fine. Since it's an objectively better game than Dead Cells, with more thoughtful story, gameplay, art, and developers who knew that a delayed game is eventually good but a 30fps mess dismissed as a "minor concern" is forever bad. It feels so good to have the correct opinions.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

a delayed game is eventually good but a 30fps mess dismissed as a "minor concern" is forever bad.

They’re fixing it

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Hammer Bro. posted:

I just did that 30 minutes ago, and once you find the button near the top-right that looks like a little globe and allows you to switch everything into English

A few pages back, but my wife and I are extremely grateful for the tip

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
When'd they start fluoridating the water or whatever magic it is that causes Normal Framerates to cause visceral reactions? A NES wasn't pumping out 120fps y'all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

playing Fortnite is making me like Splatoon even more. A shooter where you can land too close to someone who landed on a gun and get killed and whelp too bad back to start is lame.

Which sucks, because I really like the idea of fully destructable and constructable environment. It's a shame the idea is completely wasted in Fortnite

In Fortnite that is the fate of 99 of the 100 players. It’s the core game mechanic. At least going back to the lobby and jumping to another game is quick

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Weedle posted:

They’re fixing it

In 4 months when everyone is done playing it and moved on to Rimworld 1.0

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

When'd they start fluoridating the water or whatever magic it is that causes Normal Framerates to cause visceral reactions? A NES wasn't pumping out 120fps y'all

Framerate problems matter when it affects gameplay.

Dead Cells is a fast-paced twitch platformer who's framerate problems are causing the gameplay to stutter and occasionally even skip forward several frames in time to compensate.

The framerate problems in Dead Cells are 100% affecting gameplay. They probably need to figure out a way to smooth the framerate jitters in the short term (because the latter problem can lead to run-ending death beyond player control) and actually run at it's targeted framerate in the long term. And maybe not post on social media that a problem with their game totally isn't a problem and they are ever going to address before the playerbase ever gets their hands on the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JawnV6 posted:

It was an issue back then as well. Most of the good NES games had better frame rates then bad ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

JawnV6 posted:

The NES was 30 years ago grampa, standards are a lil different these days

Hilariously enough, the NES ran more games at 60 fps than the switch does so your example doesn't really hold up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The games on NES that lagged and dropped frames absolutely were noticed back then.

Also who didn’t notice slowdown when you got hit with a shitload of rings in Sonic?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KingSlime posted:

The NES was 30 years ago grampa, standards are a lil different these days

Hilariously enough, the NES ran more games at 60 fps than the switch does so your example doesn't really hold up

Huh, how did it overcome the NTSC television I had it plugged into and surreptitiously double its output? That sounds like some amazing tech!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NTSC tubes would display 60hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Kiranamos posted:

I'd say it's rated just fine. Since it's an objectively better game than Dead Cells, with more thoughtful story, gameplay, art, and developers who knew that a delayed game is eventually good but a 30fps mess dismissed as a "minor concern" is forever bad. It feels so good to have the correct opinions.

Different strokes for different folks. In my original post, I didn’t mean to imply that Dead Cells was better than Hollow Knight (I haven’t tried it)

Hollow Knight didn’t really click with me. The story is purposefully vague (told through the atmosphere of the game), similar to Breath of the Wild. I like a challenge, but the game feels unforgiving at times, especially when you’re lost looking for a map and then die (and lose everything). I could “get gud”, but I’m enjoying Octopath Traveler, Nine Parchments and Golf Story more at the moment

• Locked thread