Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

Oh, lucky you!

Wanna buy me one logo ball so I don't hafta buy a 3 pack lol

I’ll pick one up sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fucks sake.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, were you looking for Titleist 716MB? Looking at a pre-owned set for about $470 in a Dick's Sporting Goods.
I picked up a set of 716MB over the winter. Thanks though. :cheers:

Josh Lyman posted:

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

I’ll pick one up sure

Awesome!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that buzz headcover owns

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Change that to Carlton Banks.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tiger still yanks his opening tee shot left even when he’s hitting an iron for safety lol

My club championship was supposed to be this weekend but the rain today and tonight is going to make the course unplayable tomorrow so it’s been postponed. The guy I beat by 1 stroke last year who is a better golfer than me wasn’t going to be able to play this weekend so maybe we’ll have a legit rematch later this year.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 3, 2018

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shapur posted:

Any chance someone has a course recommendation in the St. Louis area? A group of us are driving down there from Chicago for the PGA and are looking to grab a couple tee times on Thursday.

your best bets for daily-fee courses are on the IL side, Gateway National is really good and so is Olin Golf Club in Alton. the latter has the bonus of being about 5-10 minutes away from Fast Eddie's Bon-Air, a cracking 19th hole (it's cash only, note that). on the MO side Tapawingo, MO Bluffs and The Courses at Forest Park are all quality.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865214 :siren:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Another few weeks of bad rounds, and once again I'm at the point where I'm not having fun playing golf. This is the third year in a row.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like every year of my golfing life

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Another few weeks of bad rounds, and once again I'm at the point where I'm not having fun playing golf. This is the third year in a row.

I took off pretty much all of July after not having any fun and playing like garbage, like making 1 par a round, not breaking 100 garbage. Part of that is my shoulder being totally hosed(I should really go to the doctor) and having me push almost every shot right because I can't turn over.

Played Thursday, was awful on the front but played bogey golf on the back and shot 99 which isn't anything to write home about but when I'm feeling good I'm playing in the mid/low-80s so I considered it progress. More importantly I was actually having fun. I putted like garbage or my round could have been significantly better.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Sataere posted:

Boys, guess who's team just moved to first place in this golf league? :D

This week, we were playing last year's champs. I had the highest handicap in our foursome. My opponent was giving me four and his partner was giving me seven. (Not that I was playing him.) Through eight, I was beating everyone straight up. Golf is much easier when your first shot is straight every time.

Only lovely thing was I relaxed on the ninth hole, because I know it's my best hole and bladed it. Double bogey to end with a 40. I could taste my first round in the 30s!

Life is good today. :hellyeah:

Man, it's a tale of two weeks. Last week, every tee shot was dead center. This week, all I could do is scramble. I just felt lovely, frustrated and like I was playing from behind all day.

But man was my short game lights out. No greens in regulation, but three one putts for pars. Somehow, I feel worse this week, but still posted a 40 to tie last weeks career high. I even had the same missed putt on the last hole for double bogey to keep me from breaking 40. Only putt I shorted all day too lol.

No way we are in first anymore, because my partner fell apart, but we are still in contention. It's weird being somewhat decent.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

I took off pretty much all of July after not having any fun and playing like garbage, like making 1 par a round, not breaking 100 garbage. Part of that is my shoulder being totally hosed(I should really go to the doctor) and having me push almost every shot right because I can't turn over.

Just bite the bullet and go to the doc. Being hurt sucks.

That being said, who is (as of July) a Senior Tour player and finally had an under 80 round in 2 years! This loving dirty old man. It was a shotgun start in our league and I started on 17 at 8am and hit a couple nice grounders to get things going in style. But I hung in there because I don't get mad anymore and I am old and don't give a gently caress.

I don't practice at all anymore, my back is hosed, my elbows, shoulders and knees hurt, and I only play once a month too, fuckers! :homebrew:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Heyyyyy finally broke 90, came here to brag about it. The big key was avoiding “that shot” by conservative course management. I mean, every hole I used to have one scorecard-killer. A chili-dip or a slice into the water or a missed 2-foot putt or whatever. Basically, a stroke that accomplished nothing except +1. I left my hybrids in the bag and swung soft with my driver to keep it in the fairway, sacrificing distance.

Also, my irons and driver are now a lot more consistent since I started incorporating my legs into my body rotation. Previously I was all upper-body with these frozen legs. Fairway shots are now much longer and much straighter. Had more than one 170-yd + approach shot this morning that that found the green.

Short putts still need work. A lot of bogeys were 3-putts.

I had one 8, and it was on a 353-yd par 4. Tee shot sliced into unrecoverable rough, then 3-putted. gently caress.

6 pars, 1 birdie. I’m happy.

Honestly, the biggest improvement I’ve made in the last few weeks has been to stop thinking about my swing. For a couple of years now, I’ve heard, “you shouldn’t have any swing thoughts,” which is loving meaningless BS to a beginner/intermediate player. All we have are swing thoughts. I guess I’ve finally drilled my mechanics to be mostly automatic, because a nice soft grip and full, easy backswing rotation seem to do the trick.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My course was closed yesterday because it was too wet. In goddamn August. We better not get any snow until Christmas this year so I can keep playing.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Send some of that rain out west. Wildfires are not fun.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm in NJ and we have about 100% humidity to spare every day if you'd like some.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

ironlung posted:

Send some of that rain out west. Wildfires are not fun.

Preach it. I'm still playing tomorrow though, hope I get into the clubhouse before it hits 100 degrees at noon. :(

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

your best bets for daily-fee courses are on the IL side, Gateway National is really good and so is Olin Golf Club in Alton. the latter has the bonus of being about 5-10 minutes away from Fast Eddie's Bon-Air, a cracking 19th hole (it's cash only, note that). on the MO side Tapawingo, MO Bluffs and The Courses at Forest Park are all quality.

Thanks for the advice! We ended up playing gateway national and had a great time.

blank
May 8, 2004
I am trying to get back into golf and play on a semi-regular basis after averaging a round every two years for the past 20 years. I have a set of old Wilson Dynapower IIs which seem to be very stiff and unforgiving, so I am considering buying a new set.

I am in Toronto. Is Golf Town the only game in town buy and possibly get a swing analysis to find clubs that suit me? I am not interested in spending a ton of money on premium equipment, but hopefully I can find a set a bit more modern and forgiving. I am not opposed to picking up a used set, either.

Also, does anyone have experience using swing analysis/coaching apps for iPad or iPhone? Are any of them worth it? I know I have some inconsistencies in my swing and it would be helpful to get some feedback.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tiger Woods is still legit and I love him and I want to watch golf on tv again.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

zapplez posted:

Tiger Woods is still legit and I love him and I want to watch golf on tv again.

Agreed, just needs to get back to putting 4 rounds together been close a few times but you can always point to one round and go thats where he lost it this time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

son of a bitch i just noticed the thread title still works, lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just got my most favorite head cover ever in lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo

It's loving amazing lol

edit: Here order yourself one, you know you want to!

https://www.dhgate.com/product/cattle-embroidery-universal-golf-putter-head/415615701.html#s1-0-1b;searl|0055583114

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I have a mallet putter :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

I have a mallet putter :(

yeah same :(:respek::(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I bought this on Saturday lol

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mattfl posted:

I just got my most favorite head cover ever in lol

We need footage of you riding your putter like a toy horse STAT

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

It's loving amazing lol

edit: Here order yourself one, you know you want to!

https://www.dhgate.com/product/cattle-embroidery-universal-golf-putter-head/415615701.html#s1-0-1b;searl|0055583114

It's a pretty looking golf course.

https://www.tehamagolfclub.com/golf.htm

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Buddy and I got out for a quick 9 today and decided to play the blues for fun. I was 1 over through 7 holes and playing well until I hooked my tee shot way left, hit a 5 iron to about 105 out, went a bit long with my wedge and was on the fringe with a little grass patch directly behind my ball that I thought I could putt through because I was too lazy to run back to my bag and chip with my PW. Ended up hitting a totally dogshit lag putt on my way to a 7. Then on the 9th I thinned my hybrid super low and OB, ended up 1 putting to save a 6 and a 43 for the round. Feel like if I didn't get lazy I could have broken 40 but who knows. Fun day but all the smoke out here made me glad I sprung for a cart.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If you're into podcasts, I HIGHLY recommend you listen to the No Laying Up podcast. There's an offshoot of sorts called TrapDraw, and their latest episode, The Journey of Tiger, is incredible. Covers from the 2009 incident to the present. So much stuff I've forgotten about, and of course stuff I never knew.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I bought this on Saturday lol

Nice, but what's the headcover for then?

DJExile posted:

son of a bitch i just noticed the thread title still works, lol

I remember when it was suggested and thought it was genius. Still is :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Standard mallet headcover with a velcro/magnetic flap.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Weird, looks like it's for a blade.

I'm seriously looking at getting an M3 driver 440cc head. Might get custom fit for the shaft as I've progressed a lot with my swing over the last 6 months. Nasty push-slice is rare, actually have a controlled draw most of the time. Enjoying the game more and my handicap has come back down again.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Lost my first league match in a month, despite playing below my handicap. :(

Hard to be mad. Guy I was playing referred to my adjustment as "old man golf," which I found hilarious and true. I've shortened up my backswing a ton and just try to put everything in front of me. No power, but it's all straight 90% of the time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

So I was using a blade style putter forever, and what started as a, Oh I'll switch them out every other round that'll be fun and since I game a Nike putter it'll piss of my friend who is a Scotty whore, turned into this lol

And now I have the Spyder so, it's mainly a cool display thing on my wall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

you're a wonderful madman and I support this wholeheartedly